Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,481 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote (544 Views)

Boris Johnson Wins Parliamentary Majority In UK Snap Election / Mother Beats Son In Kenyan Parliamentary Election (pics) / 23-Year-Old John Paul Mwirigi Wins Parliamentary Seat In Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by ifyan(m): 10:50am On Dec 09, 2016
By Ju-min Park and Jack Kim | SEOUL

South Korean lawmakers voted overwhelmingly on Friday to impeach President Park Geun-hye over an influence-peddling scandal, setting the stage for her to become the country's first elected leader to be pushed from office in disgrace.

Members of parliament voted by a higher-than-expected 234 in favor and 56 opposed in the secret ballot, meaning more than 60 of Park's own conservative Saenuri Party members backed the motion to remove her. The votes of least 200 members of the 300-seat chamber were needed for the motion to pass.

The Constitutional Court must decide whether to uphold the motion, a process that could take up to 180 days. Under the constitution, Park's duties will be assumed by Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn on an interim basis until the court rules.

"I solemnly accept the voice of the parliament and the people and sincerely hope this confusion is soundly resolved," Park said at a meeting with her cabinet.

"I will be responding calmly under the procedures laid out in the constitution and the law to the impeachment review by the Constitutional Court and the investigation by the special prosecutor."

Park, who faces investigation by a special prosecutor, said this week she would wait for the Constitutional Court's ruling, resisting demands that she step down immediately.

Cheers erupted outside the chamber of the domed parliament building when the vote was announced. People held signs saying "Victory for the People" and "New Republic of Korea".

Earlier, anti-Park activists scuffled with police as they tried to drive two tractors up to parliament's main gate, where more than a 1,000 protesters had congregated.

Choi Jung-hoon, a 46-year high school maths teacher, joined the rally outside parliament with his wife and daughters, age 7 and 18 months.

"I wanted my kids to be here, making history, at a historic moment, and show we people can win," he said.

South Korean President Park Geun-Hye speaks during an address to the nation, at the presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, 29 November 2016. REUTERS/Jeon Heon-Kyun
South Korean President Park Geun-Hye speaks during an address to the nation, at the presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, 29 November 2016. REUTERS/Jeon Heon-Kyun

MASS RALLIES

Park, 64, is accused of colluding with a friend and a former aide, both of whom have been indicted by prosecutors, to pressure big businesses to donate to two foundations set up to back her policy initiatives.

Park, who is serving a single five-year term that was set to end in February 2018, has denied wrongdoing but apologized for carelessness in her ties with her friend, Choi Soon-sil.

Mass rallies have been held in the capital, Seoul, every Saturday for the past six weeks to press her to quit. Opinion polls show overwhelming public support for her impeachment.

Kang Dong-wan, a professor at Dong-A University in Busan, said the large impeachment vote

Read more@http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-politics-idUSKBN13X2JS

Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by Dabigbroda(m): 10:54am On Dec 09, 2016
ok
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 11:14am On Dec 09, 2016
Next is the grumpy brainless old bastardic dulllard tongue
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by ifyan(m): 11:19am On Dec 09, 2016
bigFOOTcaveMAN:
Next is the grumpy brainless old bastardic dulllard tongue

Easy bro.
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by hushshinani(m): 11:27am On Dec 09, 2016
wetin concern me self... na every post i must open
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by Oliviaxx(f): 11:31am On Dec 09, 2016
God please when will you do our own for us

1 Like

Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by MyNation(m): 11:39am On Dec 09, 2016
Oliviaxx:
God please when will you do our own for us

Bro according to naija parliament the bros up there never commit any impeachable act. So just wait till 2019.

Na patience de.
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by ifyan(m): 12:07pm On Dec 09, 2016
DAILY LOOK AT BUSINESS ACTIVITIES IN THE COUNTRY

http://www.nairausd.com/
Re: South Korea's President Park Impeached In Parliamentary Vote by ifyan(m): 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
hushshinani:
wetin concern me self... na every post i must open

Y Y CON OPEN AN

(1) (Reply)

Good News: Obama Signs New Law Giving Protection To Atheists / This Photoshopped Picture Of Donald Trump Is Freaking Everyone Out:checkout What / Samsung, How Many Years For Dangote?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.