Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,609 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result (612 Views)

Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President / Yahya Jammeh Rejects Election Result After Conceding Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by olatade(m): 6:25am On Dec 10, 2016
Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has rejected the result of the election which saw him deposed as leader by a former Argos security guard a few weeks ago.

In an announcement on state TV, he said the electoral process had suffered "unacceptable abnormalities" and he called for a fresh vote after initially accepting the result.

"In the same way that I accepted the results faithfully believing that the Independent Electoral Commission was independent and honest and reliable, I hereby reject the results in totality," he said in a statement broadcast on state television.

I recommend fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a god-fearing and independent electoral commission.
President Yahya Jammeh
"Let me repeat: I will not accept the results based on what has happened," he said, condemning "unacceptable errors" on the part of electoral authorities and calling for a new vote.

Mr Jammeh pointed to an accounting error, identified by the IEC, which awarded victory to his opponent Adama Barrow but with a slimmer margin than initially announced.

Mr Jammeh claimed "investigations" had revealed that numerous voters had not been able to cast their ballots.

"This is the most dubious election we ever had in the history of this country," he said.

"We will go back to the polls because I want to make sure every Gambian votes under an electoral commission that is impartial, independent, neutral and free from foreign influence," he said, adding that he would not tolerate any street protests over his decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/10/gambian-president-yahya-jammeh-rejects-election-result-saw-deposed/
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by ndujife(m): 6:26am On Dec 10, 2016
That is african leaders for you, I won't b surprised if Ghana defeated president do d same.
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by olatade(m): 6:29am On Dec 10, 2016
ndujife:
That is african leaders for you.

I'm telling you,they have no shame at all
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by silasupdc(m): 6:31am On Dec 10, 2016
ndujife:
That is african leaders for you.
African leaders and electoral corruption are like 5 & 6
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by jamalnation(m): 6:34am On Dec 10, 2016
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by fammo: 6:36am On Dec 10, 2016
Even Trump said he was going to reject the election if he lost....
Re: Gambian president Yahya Jammeh rejects election result by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:41am On Dec 10, 2016
Oga president after the fresh election and you lose I hope you'll gracefully exit? Now more money will be wasted

(1) (Reply)

Trump: Electoral College Set To Cast “the Real Votes” For U.S. President Monday / Trump Attacks Bill Clinton / Person Of The Year 2016: The Russian Hacker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.