Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,687 members, 7,955,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:36 AM

[BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted (681 Views)

Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President / Yahya Jammeh Rejects Election Result After Conceding Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by blackedwin: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2016
:oGambian leader Yahya Jammeh has rejected the result of the presidential election held earlier this month, a week after admitting defeat.

He said he now recommends fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a God-fearing and independent electoral commission

Speaking on state TV, Mr Jammeh cited “abnormalities” in the vote and called for fresh elections.
Mr Jammeh, who came to power in a coup in 1994, suffered a shock defeat to Adama Barrow, who won more than 45% of the vote.

The US “strongly condemned” Mr Jammeh’s statement.

“This action is a reprehensible and unacceptable breach of faith with the people of The Gambia and an egregious attempt to undermine a credible election process and remain in power illegitimately,” said state department spokesman Mark Toner.

Mr Barrow, a property developer, is due to take office in late January. Mai Ahmad Fatty, the head of his transition team, told Reuters they were “consulting on what to do”, adding: “As far as we are concerned, the people have voted. We will maintain peace and stability and not let anyone provoke us into violence.”

The Gambia is the smallest country on mainland Africa, with a population of fewer than two million.

Mr Jammeh said that he now rejected the results of the election “in totality”.
“After a thorough investigation, I have decided to reject the outcome of the recent election,” Mr Jammeh said.

“I lament serious and unacceptable abnormalities which have reportedly transpired during the electoral process.

“I recommend fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a God-fearing and independent electoral commission.”

http://punchng.com/breaking-gambian-president-rejects-election-result-earlier-accepted/
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by pdppower: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2016
The spirit of Goodluck Jonathan that earlier descended on him had flown away

3 Likes

Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by Young03(m): 8:04am On Dec 10, 2016
na them know
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by Cloud007: 8:06am On Dec 10, 2016
The guy is shameless....a typical African leader
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:08am On Dec 10, 2016
Gambians should rise up against him.
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by henchamb(m): 8:09am On Dec 10, 2016
I will support the UN to invade The Gambia and give him the Gbagbo treatment
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by gigabyte13: 8:09am On Dec 10, 2016
Hmmmmm, another western invasion loading in Gambia. RIP in advance to JAMMEH.
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by bigtt76(f): 8:12am On Dec 10, 2016
Something wrong with him grin
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by AllTheWayUp: 8:15am On Dec 10, 2016
grin grin grin

If e No be GEJ

E no fit be like GEJ

President Yahya Jameh is a disgrace to Democracy and the Africa Continent

GEJ is an authentic true Hero of Democracy----Zombies can quote me till Buhari make 1 Naira equal to $ 1

3 Likes

Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by superstar1(m): 8:17am On Dec 10, 2016
When I heard he conceded defeat, I was surprised. This is a guy that came to power when he was in mid-20s. He has been used to power for almost forever.

A visit to Gambia will show you what you dictator looks like. His billboards are practically on almost every major roads.

I hope he will have a change of heart, before plunging that country into senseless war.

1 Like

Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by Unimaginable123: 8:19am On Dec 10, 2016
henchamb:
I will support the UN to invade The Gambia and give him the Gbagbo treatment
it was French that did that. UN can't do nothing
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by TheEastActivist: 8:21am On Dec 10, 2016
Like Gambia president like Buhari...
Let's see who will rise up against buhari's own time?
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 10, 2016
Africans are not democratic, better we go back to monarchy
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by obailala(m): 10:11am On Dec 10, 2016
Oh dear!... and here I have my Cameroonian friend already feeling excited and hoping the wind of 'opposition takeover' would get to them someday.

Africa!
Re: [BREAKING] Gambian President Rejects Election Result He Earlier Accepted by ArchiPelago1: 10:17am On Dec 10, 2016
The population of Banjul the capital city of Gambia is just 35,000 which is not up to the population of Unilag... Yaya Jammeh should not start a Civil War that will wipe out the country in one week

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Soldiers From Senegal Launch First 'strikes' At Yahya Jammeh's M / WATCH: Syrian Anti-Air Forces Shoot Down Israeli F-16 Combat Jet / United States Special Forces Operatives Killed By Fulani herdsmen In Niger (ICG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.