Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) (3934 Views)

Huawei Project Z : Huawei Set To Create It's New Operating System / 9mobile's Poor Network Is Gradually Being Resolved In Some Areas / MTN New Fraudulent Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 10:10am On Dec 10, 2016
I had to resort to dis because d excesses of these ntwrks and MTN in particular is getting out of hand and has been going on unabated. We all know of d hundreds of promotional msgs we receive on an almost per minute basis and seeing how ppl ignore dem dey have resorted to using flash messages. It is now at d point where dis services are activated randomly on ppl's line without the knowledge and permission of their unsuspecting customers like myself.

2 days ago, on the 8th of December to b precise, I got a txt on my fone from 38427 and as usual it was one of d numerous spam msgs I receive from d ntwrk even though my fone has successfully blocked out msgs from most other numbers. As is d case with spam msgs, I didn't even bother reading. I needed to get data ony line and decided to check my airtime balance. Right there and den my balance didn't add up cos I barely make calls with my mtn line and d airtime was considerably reduced. I decided to check if I had transferred airtime to anyone to b sure and dat was wen a thought occurred to me to check d last spam msg I got. It was d usual msg dey had always been sending but wen I saw "to opt out, text STOP to 38427" I stopped for a minute. WEN DID I START? D msg in full read

"Dear customer, you are subscribed to VIP Class service (Subscription: N100 daily). T&C apply: megahunt.up.st. To opt out, text STOP to 38427.

I stopped for a minute because I had always ignored dat particular msg because it always starts with ur number has been selected blah blah blah. I decided to check all d msgs from d number with d last having come earlier in the morning. My fears were confirmed. The msg I saw was

It's true! Your name will feature in the draw for N10,000,000 with 100 more points! You could win this fabulous cash prize! Total points so far: 1500.

Jesu!! My mind simply did d mass of 100 daily to realise 100 naira had been deducted for d past 15 days on a daily basis for a service I DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE TO/FOR.. I quickly sent d STOP sms to the shortcode to unsubscribe and proceeded to call 180. An agent picked up and after explaining myself he told me I had activated d megahunt promo.. WHERE! HOW! How can I activate such and still b asking? He asked me to call back cos d App to check my line wasn't available at d moment. I went back to the msgs to see if there was anywhere an activation msg had been sent since I had somehow subscribed for such in my dreams. Msgs from dat number started coming from the 24th of May so how com I suddenly subbed for it? By my calculations d service was activated on the 24th of November and I got about 3 msgs from dat number on d said day with the first 2 coming almost d same time at about 2.56pm reading

TO ENJOY EXCITING TRIVIA QUESTIONS AND ALSO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES IN THE DRAW, TEXT PLAY TO 38427! ANSWER, ENJOY AND LEARN!

and then

YOU HAVE RECEIVED ACCESS TO VIP CLASS! N10,000,000 could b yours soon! (Subscription cost:N100 daily). To opt out, text STOP to 38427. T&cs apply: megahunt.up.st

And then by 3.00pm I got d last one dat read

It's true! Your name will feature in the draw for N10,000,000 with 100 more points! You could win this fabulous cash prize! Total points so far: 100.

I called back severally to understand how I had subbed for a service dat I am unaware of and kept getting d same reply of calling back later cos an app wasn't available at the moment.
I have called dis morning and one agent by name Mike hung up on me because he said he didn't like my tone. Jus imagine! How else is my tone supposed to b after realising d network has been milking me for d past 2weeks without my knowledge. 1500 in dis economy no funny and I don't know where else to channel my complaints. Abeg oga mods help me tell d ntwrk to refund me my money. Help me do d needful until dey hear my voice. I'll upload screenshots of d nonsense msgs I've been getting from them way before up till now. Anyone know any alternative action I can take. Hope I haven't broken any rules and if I did I apologize, na my money I want back.
cc; Puskin, Dragnet, Honsule.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by kingphilip(m): 10:21am On Dec 10, 2016
I'll suggest you chat them up on whatsapp.. Because that has been effective for me

When they deducted my 300 and 50 Naira, I had a chat with them and threatened them about porting to other networks and they did a refund immediately..

Try this out and see if it'll work for you
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 10:36am On Dec 10, 2016
kingphilip:
I'll suggest you chat them up on whatsapp.. Because that has been effective for me

When they deducted my 300 and 50 Naira, I had a chat with them and threatened them about porting to other networks and they did a refund immediately..

Try this out and see if it'll work for you

Help me out with their whatsapp number u used. And thanks
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Babalegba(m): 10:51am On Dec 10, 2016
You could also engage them on Twitter. By the way all of them are thieves,no exception. They've learnt the Nigerian way of life
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Marvel1206: 11:19am On Dec 10, 2016
JideSM will gladly help you, no need for the stress
Cc JideSM
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 11:24am On Dec 10, 2016
Marvel1206:
JideSM will gladly help you, no need for the stress
Cc JideSM
How do I contact JideSM?
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Marvel1206: 11:29am On Dec 10, 2016
Nbote:

How do I contact JideSM?
When he comes online, he will reply you or just visit the MTN CUSTOMER CARE THREAD
www.nairaland.com/JideSM
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 11:34am On Dec 10, 2016
Marvel1206:

When he comes online, he will reply you or just visit the MTN CUSTOMER CARE THREAD
www.nairaland.com/JideSM

Aiiight thanks
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Iselldata: 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2016
Why use mtn in the first place.. For calls etisalat is the best.. For data airtel na the baba. For cheap data.. You know its glo. So why use mtn undecided

1 Like

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 1:59pm On Dec 10, 2016
Iselldata:
Why use mtn in the first place.. For calls etisalat is the best.. For data airtel na the baba. For cheap data.. You know its glo. So why use mtn undecided

because na my line... D problem isn't because I bought data or anything, d problem is dat dey deducted around 1500 from my line over 2 weeks. I find it more annoying even considering I had similar issue on my other ntwrk and it was resolved immediately I called to complain. I barely use d line for calls and d data I needed to get was back up cos I had issues with d ntwrk on my other line
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 2:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
Abeg mods make una help me push dis thing until dis ppl refund me. Dis shld stop
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by fineboynl(m): 2:50pm On Dec 10, 2016
Oga your excuse is lame. how can they deduct 100 from you everyday and u never noticed it. what are you doing with the sim if you are not using it. if you are not using it to make calls why did you recharged it.

you have opted for the lotrery program and because you didn't win. now you want your money back.

sorry there is nothing mtn can do.

should have reported it earlier for them to deactivate it.

noted. I am not saying mtn don't activate people intentionally. my stand is you should have reported earlier.
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by kingphilip(m): 3:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nbote:

Help me out with their whatsapp number u used. And thanks

1 Like

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Jaymaestro(m): 3:43pm On Dec 10, 2016
This is MTN. Nothing new about this.. They are my necessary enemy.. Always and forever a MTN user.
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Turks: 4:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
Funny network.
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 6:36pm On Dec 10, 2016
kingphilip:
Thanks.. Though they've not been of much help so far...
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 7:35pm On Dec 10, 2016
fineboynl:
Oga your excuse is lame. how can they deduct 100 from you everyday and u never noticed it. what are you doing with the sim if you are not using it. if you are not using it to make calls why did you recharged it.

you have opted for the lotrery program and because you didn't win. now you want your money back.

noted. I am not saying mtn don't activate people intentionally. my stand is you should have reported earlier.

Oga I'm actually in a gud mood dis evening so I'll jus do d needful and ignore u. I had close to 4k as my airtime and I only receive calls on d sim becos it's my first and major line while I make calls with my etisalat line. I didn't take note of it becos lyk I said I barely make calls using d line, I only receive calls on it and as such I don't have to always check my airtime on a daily basis. D airtime on d line is mainly for subbing data. I only noticed d deductions were becos of d promo msgs wen I took my tym to go thru d msgs. Why would I sub for a service and deny subbing for such becos according to u I didn't win, who wins network promos? And would I have to kip loosing 100 for 15days to realise I didn't win. Not everyone places bets like some of U do neither do I believe in network promos. Now let me ask U, what is ur first instinct wen a network spam number sends u an sms? Tell me u actually take ur tym to read thru d msg...

1 Like

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Segadem(m): 9:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nbote:

Oga I'm actually in a gud mood dis evening so I'll jus do d needful and ignore u. I had close to 4k as my airtime and I only receive calls on d sim becos it's my first and major line while I make calls with my etisalat line. I didn't take note of it becos lyk I said I barely make calls using d line, I only receive calls on it and as such I don't have to always check my airtime on a daily basis. D airtime on d line is mainly for subbing data. I only noticed d deductions were becos of d promo msgs wen I took my tym to go thru d msgs. Why would I sub for a service and deny subbing for such becos according to u I didn't win, who wins network promos? And would I have to kip loosing 100 for 15days to realise I didn't win. Not everyone places bets like some of U do neither do I believe in network promos. Now let me ask U, what is ur first instinct wen a network spam number sends u an sms? Tell me u actually take ur tym to read thru d msg...
don't mind the guy, I also have mtn line in my phone, been the old line that everybody know with me, I use to recharge it for data only, I use glo as for data and for call, but glo isn't available always then I switch to mtn for browsing when glo misbehaves
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by 247NewsUpdateNG: 9:59pm On Dec 10, 2016
fineboynl:

Good day, Sir.

I went through your reply to the Op's complaints and at the end, I drew out a little piece to drop with you.

1) Please, on Tuesday (due to the fact that Monday is a holiday), visit your primary, secondary and tertiary institutions (that is if you actually ATTENDED any) and ask for a refund from all the teachers who took you on English Language.

2) Learn to chew before you swallow. I believe your elders must have taught you that while in your formative ages (that is if you're past that already).

3) Impersonation is a crime, on legal and illegal platforms. Don't speak for a company who has not employed your services especially in this kind of cases.

4) You should try to get social media etiquettes counseling (from Seun or any other moderator, as this is their platform) as it would help keep you out of trouble in a civilized country.

Any other observation that comes afterwards would be relayed to you.

Thanks for your understanding.

5 Likes

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by dasphinx1(m): 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2016
247NewsUpdateNG:

Good day, Sir.

I went through your reply to the Op's complaints and at the end, I drew out a little piece to drop with you.

1) Please, on Tuesday (due to the fact that Monday is a holiday), visit your primary, secondary and tertiary institutions (that is if you actually ATTENDED any) and ask for a refund from all the teachers who took you on English Language.

2) Learn to chew before you swallow. I believe your elders must have taught you that while in your formative ages (that is if you're past that already).

3) Impersonation is a crime, on legal and illegal platforms. Don't speak for a company who has not employed your services especially in this kind of cases.

4) You should try to get social media etiquettes counseling (from Seun or any other moderator, as this is their platform) as it would help keep you out of trouble in a civilized country.

Damn!!!! grin
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
247NewsUpdateNG:

Good day, Sir.

I gave up on him wen I read thru his post, jus wasn't in d mood I would have given him a piece of my mind since he's now d spokesperson of the network.

1 Like

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by elvision1(m): 1:54am On Dec 11, 2016
Those idiots are thieves! Its not just you! I lost 100naira 3days ago and when i tried calling their CC. It replied network busy, MTN is a corporate scammer. Everyone around me were complaining of airtime deduction on their lines i laughed it off.till it happened to me.just like you said, their recent tactic now is flash messages because they know how you can mistakenly click ok, even when you don't mean to...MTN wll fall in coming years, the rEvolution has just begun....
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by felipemadero(m): 6:34am On Dec 11, 2016
I'll advice the OP to contact em via twitter @mtn180,they reply faster and make sure they don't DM u. cool. By the way,I doubt if they will still refund u. angry .They did the same thing to me even while I was on the DND(do not disturb) shii. Mtn...Necessary Evil.
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by BerryBlaster: 8:05am On Dec 11, 2016
fineboynl:

just because you are not financially ok does not mean every odd person too is not. what if he has 5k or so recharge card loaded. so he should be checking his balance every minute abi?

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 11, 2016
fineboynl:

Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Iselldata: 9:24am On Dec 11, 2016
Nbote:

because na my line... D problem isn't because I bought data or anything, d problem is dat dey deducted around 1500 from my line over 2 weeks. I find it more annoying even considering I had similar issue on my other ntwrk and it was resolved immediately I called to complain. I barely use d line for calls and d data I needed to get was back up cos I had issues with d ntwrk on my other line

Port to another network na... I dont see whats so special in mtn.. Anyway they have scammed you in thier own way.. Its left for you to jejely port to another one
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by JideSM: 9:27am On Dec 11, 2016
Nbote:
I had to resort to dis because d excesses of these ntwrks and MTN in particular is getting out of hand and has been going on unabated. We all know of d hundreds of promotional msgs we receive on an almost per minute basis and seeing how ppl ignore dem dey have resorted to using flash messages. It is now at d point where dis services are activated randomly on ppl's line without the knowledge and permission of their unsuspecting customers like myself.

2 days ago, on the 8th of December to b precise, I got a txt on my fone from 38427 and as usual it was one of d numerous spam msgs I receive from d ntwrk even though my fone has successfully blocked out msgs from most other numbers. As is d case with spam msgs, I didn't even bother reading. I needed to get data ony line and decided to check my airtime balance. Right there and den my balance didn't add up cos I barely make calls with my mtn line and d airtime was considerably reduced. I decided to check if I had transferred airtime to anyone to b sure and dat was wen a thought occurred to me to check d last spam msg I got. It was d usual msg dey had always been sending but wen I saw "to opt out, text STOP to 38427" I stopped for a minute. WEN DID I START? D msg in full read

"Dear customer, you are subscribed to VIP Class service (Subscription: N100 daily). T&C apply: megahunt.up.st. To opt out, text STOP to 38427.

I stopped for a minute because I had always ignored dat particular msg because it always starts with ur number has been selected blah blah blah. I decided to check all d msgs from d number with d last having come earlier in the morning. My fears were confirmed. The msg I saw was

It's true! Your name will feature in the draw for N10,000,000 with 100 more points! You could win this fabulous cash prize! Total points so far: 1500.

Jesu!! My mind simply did d mass of 100 daily to realise 100 naira had been deducted for d past 15 days on a daily basis for a service I DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE TO/FOR.. I quickly sent d STOP sms to the shortcode to unsubscribe and proceeded to call 180. An agent picked up and after explaining myself he told me I had activated d megahunt promo.. WHERE! HOW! How can I activate such and still b asking? He asked me to call back cos d App to check my line wasn't available at d moment. I went back to the msgs to see if there was anywhere an activation msg had been sent since I had somehow subscribed for such in my dreams. Msgs from dat number started coming from the 24th of May so how com I suddenly subbed for it? By my calculations d service was activated on the 24th of November and I got about 3 msgs from dat number on d said day with the first 2 coming almost d same time at about 2.56pm reading

TO ENJOY EXCITING TRIVIA QUESTIONS AND ALSO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES IN THE DRAW, TEXT PLAY TO 38427! ANSWER, ENJOY AND LEARN!

and then

YOU HAVE RECEIVED ACCESS TO VIP CLASS! N10,000,000 could b yours soon! (Subscription cost:N100 daily). To opt out, text STOP to 38427. T&cs apply: megahunt.up.st

And then by 3.00pm I got d last one dat read

It's true! Your name will feature in the draw for N10,000,000 with 100 more points! You could win this fabulous cash prize! Total points so far: 100.

I called back severally to understand how I had subbed for a service dat I am unaware of and kept getting d same reply of calling back later cos an app wasn't available at the moment.
I have called dis morning and one agent by name Mike hung up on me because he said he didn't like my tone. Jus imagine! How else is my tone supposed to b after realising d network has been milking me for d past 2weeks without my knowledge. 1500 in dis economy no funny and I don't know where else to channel my complaints. Abeg oga mods help me tell d ntwrk to refund me my money. Help me do d needful until dey hear my voice. I'll upload screenshots of d nonsense msgs I've been getting from them way before up till now. Anyone know any alternative action I can take. Hope I haven't broken any rules and if I did I apologize, na my money I want back.
cc; Puskin, Dragnet, Honsule.

Hi Nbote, so sorry to hear this. I currently run a thread here called the MTN Customer Care Thread https://www.nairaland.com/1379574/mtn-customer-care-thread , where issue like this could be resolved promptly. Please send your mobile number via PM to enable me assist. Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2016
Up JideSM, Up MTN... I finally got my 1500 refund and an extra 200 even thru JideSM... Thanks to the Puskin, Dragnet, Honsule for moving dis to d necessary page and Mr JideSM for taking his time to follow up d issue. I guess it's safe to pull down d thread now. Finally up Oga Seun, and up Nairaland....
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Marvel1206: 2:06pm On Dec 18, 2016
Nbote:
Up JideSM, Up MTN... I finally got my 1500 refund and an extra 200 even thru JideSM... Thanks to the Puskin, Dragnet, Honsule for moving dis to d necessary page and Mr JideSM for taking his time to follow up d issue. I guess it's safe to pull down d thread now. Finally up Oga Seun, and up Nairaland....
No thanks to me for referring you to him sad
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by Nbote(m): 10:47pm On Dec 18, 2016
Marvel1206:
No thanks to me for referring you to him sad
Oya Chop one very big THANK YOU..
Re: Mtn And It's New Fraudulent Tactics..(Resolved) by mikron(m): 1:30am On Dec 19, 2016
that was how they have been subscribing me to one useless gameplus abi wetin dem call am, they keep deducting my money and end up telling me if i wish to opt out to send what have u to their useless short code numbers, its becoming alarming and frustrating. this thievery is becoming too much from empty-hen undecided undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Alternatives To Google Playstore / Android Operamini Saved Pages Location???????????????? / Glo In Trouble!! Get 1GB For ₦100 – Everything You Need To Know About It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.