Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) (42838 Views)

2baba And Annie Idibia With Dele Momodu At Kotoka Airport Accra, Ghana / “I Had My First Kid At 24” Annie Idibia Says As She Shows Off Her Grown Up Kids / Lovely Photo Of Annie Idibia With Her Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by ALAYORMII: 11:56am On Dec 10, 2016
TO MY OLD MASTER:

In August of 1865, a Colonel P.H. Anderson of Big Spring, Tennessee, wrote to his former slave, Jourdon Anderson, and requested that he come back to work on his farm. Jourdon — who, since being emancipated, had moved to Ohio, found paid work, and was now supporting his family — responded spectacularly by way of the letter seen below (a letter which, according to newspapers at the time, he dictated).

Rather than quote the numerous highlights in this letter, I'll simply leave you to enjoy it. Do make sure you read to the end.

UPDATE: Head over to Kottke for a brief but lovely little update about the later years of Jourdon and family.

(Source: The Freedmen's Book; Image: A group of escaped slaves in Virginia in 1862, courtesy of the Library of Congress.)

Dayton, Ohio,

August 7, 1865

To My Old Master, Colonel P.H. Anderson, Big Spring, Tennessee

Sir: I got your letter, and was glad to find that you had not forgotten Jourdon, and that you wanted me to come back and live with you again, promising to do better for me than anybody else can. I have often felt uneasy about you. I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this, for harboring Rebs they found at your house. I suppose they never heard about your going to Colonel Martin's to kill the Union soldier that was left by his company in their stable. Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living. It would do me good to go back to the dear old home again, and see Miss Mary and Miss Martha and Allen, Esther, Green, and Lee. Give my love to them all, and tell them I hope we will meet in the better world, if not in this. I would have gone back to see you all when I was working in the Nashville Hospital, but one of the neighbors told me that Henry intended to shoot me if he ever got a chance.

I want to know particularly what the good chance is you propose to give me. I am doing tolerably well here. I get twenty-five dollars a month, with victuals and clothing; have a comfortable home for Mandy,—the folks call her Mrs. Anderson,—and the children—Milly, Jane, and Grundy—go to school and are learning well. The teacher says Grundy has a head for a preacher. They go to Sunday school, and Mandy and me attend church regularly. We are kindly treated. Sometimes we overhear others saying, "Them colored people were slaves" down in Tennessee. The children feel hurt when they hear such remarks; but I tell them it was no disgrace in Tennessee to belong to Colonel Anderson. Many darkeys would have been proud, as I used to be, to call you master. Now if you will write and say what wages you will give me, I will be better able to decide whether it would be to my advantage to move back again.

As to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost-Marshal-General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you were disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years, and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages have been kept back, and deduct what you paid for our clothing, and three doctor's visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams's Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past, we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night; but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

In answering this letter, please state if there would be any safety for my Milly and Jane, who are now grown up, and both good-looking girls. You know how it was with poor Matilda and Catherine. I would rather stay here and starve—and die, if it come to that—than have my girls brought to shame by the violence and wickedness of their young masters. You will also please state if there has been any schools opened for the colored children in your neighborhood. The great desire of my life now is to give my children an education, and have them form virtuous habits.

Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson.

1 Like

Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by zicoraads: 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
BossLadyF:

Fact!!! He needs empowerment now
Do you even know the meaning of that word? He is already empowered. If she decides to go one step further and set up shop for him, then that's just her being extra kind. Other than that, she has done her own part. And brilliantly too.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by idupaul: 12:11pm On Dec 10, 2016
naijaboiy:
Annie, please if you can set up a shop for him where he can comfortably sell his delicious products and later on employ younger people when he has made profit it would be really great and kind of you.

Your foundation has done well in helping people through entrepreneurial programs, but that man is quite too old to be hawking doughnuts on the streets.

Who would like to see his father hawking anything on the streets? cry

True
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by itsede: 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
Annie Idibia forget all your trash statement. You only grab the opportunity to popularised your foundation yes psychology.
OK; help the man now that he has shown his humility.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 10, 2016
she should set up a shop for him to be selling his donuts and other stuff.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by BossLadyF(f): 12:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
zicoraads:

Do you even know the meaning of that word? He is already empowered. If she decides to go one step further and set up shop for him, then that's just her being extra kind. Other than that, she has done her own part. And brilliantly too.

I know the meaning of the word and yes, she has empowered him but he still needs a push. How many persons attended the skill acquisition? How many persons are using the skills they acquired? Sweetheart when you see someone like this, you need to EMPOWER him further, encourage him and make him reference point.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Brightpeters: 12:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
abeg anni help this man,say d man dey wear clean cloths tak dey howk no mean say he dey happy d way he see himself.abeg help am make all 4 us greet u
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by zicoraads: 12:24pm On Dec 10, 2016
BossLadyF:

I know the meaning of the word and yes, she has empowered him but he still needs a push. How many persons attended the skill acquisition? How many persons are using the skills they acquired? Sweetheart when you see someone like this, you need to EMPOWER him further, encourage him and make him reference point.
See someone like this? Someone who is hawking and earning a living? What makes him different from the millions of people who hawk everyday in this country?

He needs no push. And if Annie decides to do it, well, it's her own prerogative. But then, I think teaching people like this and giving them take off grant is enough push.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Icansing: 12:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:
God used Ty-bello to save olajumoke from the street, ur own naa to send old man go street with doughnut for head. Annie,abeg fear God
Hahahaha wicked
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Boyooosa(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:
God used Ty-bello to save olajumoke from the street, ur own naa to send old man go street with doughnut for head. Annie,abeg fear God
'Making' in the Process; This ismjust the beginning... McDonald's started with a more humble beginning. #DONTRUSHYOUSTILLHAVEALOTOFYEARSTOSTAYALIVE
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Icansing: 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
ITEKEM:
Me sef go blow but I know say nah my big prick go sell me kiss
u hmm

Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by apholaryn: 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2016
ITEKEM:
lmao! wayre
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by BossLadyF(f): 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2016
zicoraads:

See someone like this? Someone who is hawking and earning a living? What makes him different from the millions of people who hawk everyday in this country?

He needs no push. And if Annie decides to do it, well, it's her own prerogative. But then, I think teaching people like this and giving them take off grant is enough push.

Anyways its your opinion. I know very soon he'll be off the street. You know naija right? Lol
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by livingg(m): 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2016
ITEKEM:

Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by tjquib: 12:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:
lolz
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by MrCounselor: 12:57pm On Dec 10, 2016
FastON:
how ?
Nice
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by happney65: 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2016
GbovoLee:
something is not adding up
At all..
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Ghost447(m): 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
GbovoLee:
something is not adding up
Explicate
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Ghost447(m): 1:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:
My thought exactly.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by ikorodureporta: 1:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:

Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by mapsmatician(m): 1:29pm On Dec 10, 2016
This is not real guys. They were just shooting a blockbuster Nollywood movie tittled...
'The Doughnut-Man'.
D movie wan dey like all these Superman Marvel movies...but with a 'Touch of Food' in it.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by chubinwa(m): 1:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
God is at work. na so dis man take turn celebrity
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Edipee(m): 1:47pm On Dec 10, 2016
I saw this man yesterday at Akpanandem market. He wore a pair of shorts and tucked in his T- shirt..was very cheerful with his customers were busy taking selfie with him.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by breakeven: 1:55pm On Dec 10, 2016
Smellymouth:
Who get lighter?
Smokers are liable to die soonest!!! cheesy
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Smellymouth: 1:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
breakeven:

Smokers are liable to die soonest!!! cheesy
cheesy
grin

Just one wrap.. tongue
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by cobsol(m): 1:59pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:

then your own na?
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by fuckpro: 2:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
Theoritical:
... Wicked grin grin grin
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Missmossy(f): 2:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nice one but he shouldn't be hawking. He isn't a youth nor a teen. Its a good thing anyways its better than stealing.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Theoritical(m): 2:50pm On Dec 10, 2016
cobsol:

then your own na?
do i need to start analysing mine on social media?
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by LUV1: 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2016
IF you are in need of fruit of the womb or having low sperm count, like Hhomonia imbalance, gonadropin, virgintis, rolatin, prolatin, piv etc contact 08132556802 ITaly 925 gb nig ltd .be rest assured your problem is over including weak erection .Jesus is the healer we run test on you to know the actual problem.
Re: Annie Idibia With The Doughnut Selling Man Spotted In Akwa Ibom (photos) by Johnbosco77(m): 4:45pm On Dec 10, 2016
naijaboiy:
Annie, please if you can set up a shop for him where he can comfortably sell his delicious products and later on employ younger people when he has made profit it would be really great and kind of you.

Your foundation has done well in helping people through entrepreneurial programs, but that man is quite too old to be hawking doughnuts on the streets.

Who would like to see his father hawking anything on the streets? cry

pm me for ur codein supply....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde And Bovi In Playful Mood (Pictured). / Davido Brags About His Very Expensive Shoes (Photos) / Moyo Lawal In Massive Cleavage-Baring Outfit (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.