Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election (568 Views)

Gambia's Yahya Jammeh Agrees To Step Down As President / Jammeh Gives Conditions To Step Down / Jammeh Now Using Decoy Convoys After Refusing To Step Down. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by Emekamex(m): 2:53pm On Dec 10, 2016
Defeated president Yahya Jammeh, who had previously vowed to rule for "a billion years", claimed a "thorough investigation" had revealed voting irregularities and demanded fresh elections.

Gambia's President-elect Adama Barrow has been due to take office in January
Image Caption:
Gambia's President-elect Adama Barrow was due to take office in January
His announcement on state television, which has sparked international condemnation, has plunged the future of the West African country into doubt.

Mr Jammeh had last week conceded defeat to Adama Barrow, who secured 45% of the vote compared to the incumbent's 36%.

There had been celebrations at the prospect of an end to Mr Jammeh's 22-year rule, with many seeing it as a step forward for democracy.

Supporters of president-elect Adama Barrow dance on a poster of Mr Jammeh
Image Caption:
People make their feelings known about the defeated Gambian leader
His regime was accused by human rights groups of detaining, torturing and killing political opponents.

But the president has now decided to contest the poll result.

He said: "After a thorough investigation, I have decided to reject the outcome of the recent election.

"I lament serious and unacceptable abnormalities which have reportedly transpired during the electoral process.

"I recommend fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a god-fearing and independent electoral commission."

The army have been loyal to the president throughout his decades in office
Image Caption:
The army has been loyal to Mr Jammeh during his two decades in office
It presents a major challenge to the incoming administration of Mr Barrow, which already faced the problem of dealing with an army that for two decades was loyal to the president.

A political unknown just six months ago, the father of five was thrust into the spotlight as a unity candidate after the jailing of members of the opposition.

Mr Barrow ran an estate agency in the country, but lived in Britain for three-and-a-half years when he was younger, working as a security guard for Argos in London, where he developed a love for Arsenal Football Club.

Supporters of Mr Barrow celebrated his victory at the polls
Image Caption:
Mr Barrow's victory at the polls led to celebrations
The head of Mr Barrow's transition team said the president-elect and his staff were safe.

Mai Ahmad Fatty said: "We are consulting on what to do, but as far as we are concerned, the people have voted.

"We will maintain peace and stability and not let anyone provoke us into violence."

The US State Department has condemned Mr Jammeh's rejection of the results and said it was was a flagrant attempt to undermine a credible election and remain illegitimately in power.

Senegal's foreign minister, Mankeur Ndiaye, has called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council and "solemnly" warned Mr Jammeh not to harm Senegal's interests or its citizens in Gambia.

Mr Barrow had been due to take office in late January following a transition period.

http://mobile.reuters.com/video/2016/12/10/gambias-president-rejects-election-defea?videoId=370686887&videoChannel=1

http://news.sky.com/story/gambias-ruler-refuses-to-step-down-despite-losing-election-to-former-argos-security-guard-10690111

Cc Lalasticlala
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by adamooye: 2:55pm On Dec 10, 2016
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by littlewonders: 3:00pm On Dec 10, 2016
Deluded Blacks can do anything just to remain in power. I'm not surprised.
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by Emekamex(m): 3:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
This is more reasons that leaders like GEJ and Mahama should be commended for conceding. African leaders usually think that power is their ultimate right.
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 3:05pm On Dec 10, 2016
I support this leader. Jonathan handed us over to a demonic bastard. Better to have fought that battle than the mess the illiterate has dragged us into angry sad
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by kimco(m): 3:10pm On Dec 10, 2016
if i were jammeh i wud do same..when the president elect promises to undo everything u have done and prosecute u as well....when he hasnt even been sworn in....what wud u have done? with a president elect as stupid as dat....the people probable are in safer
hands.
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by tonio2wo: 3:33pm On Dec 10, 2016
kimco:
if i were jammeh i wud do same..when the president elect promises to undo everything u have done and prosecute u as well....when he hasnt even been sworn in....what wud u have done? with a president elect as stupid as dat....the people probable are in safer
hands.

Undoing what he has done has to do with declaring Gambia an Islamic state.
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by kimco(m): 11:51pm On Dec 10, 2016
tonio2wo:

Undoing what he has done has to do with declaring Gambia an Islamic state.

pls there is more he had disclosed in the interview, not jux the islamic state thing....even if it were only about the islamic state thing, in a country with 90% being moslems....and jammeh being a strong religious man....that wud still be extremely stupid to proclaim....u wait...u come onboard nd u mke de changes.....not proclaim to de world of ur intentions before u actually become prez.. i can only weep for the poor gambians
Re: Gambia's Ruler Refuses To Step Down Despite Losing Election by Emekamex(m): 4:04pm On Dec 30, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Syrian Army, Iraqi Militia Accused Of “slaughter” Of Civilians In Aleppo / Yahya Jammeh Finally Decides to Step Down; Gives His Terms Before Leaving Office / Swaziland Orders Schools To Teach Only Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.