Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) (12997 Views)

Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo] / My Dry Season Water Melon Farm In Ebonyi State / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 9:02pm On Jan 02, 2017
1stUnique:
keep up the good work bro?

Thanks
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2017
More pics on my DARINA cucumber fruit development.

My California wonder pepper seedlings are now ready for transplanting into sack anytime soon. Meanwhile, the cabbage is equally developing fast in the nursery and will be ready for transplanting next week

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by revabey22: 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2017
please teacher, where can i get water melon, and cucumber seed to plant in sacks 08034059720, abeyjubilee@hotmail.com
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by phillings247: 1:14am On Jan 03, 2017
revabey22:
please teacher, where can i get water melon, and cucumber seed to plant in sacks 08034059720, abeyjubilee@hotmail.com
where is ur farm,u can contact me on 08027915498
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2017
The rate at which the cucumber fruit is developing put smile on my face knowing that harvest is near.

More pics of the cucumber plant

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Pavore9: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
excelAGR42:
The rate at which the cucumber fruit is developing put smile on my face knowing that harvest is near.

I commend your enterprise, keep up the spirit.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Munzy14(m): 7:25pm On Jan 03, 2017
excelAGR42:

Good work. keep it up.plz i am soo in need of that darina variety in owerri. can u make it possible for me.?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Arvinkris(m): 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2017
contact me for your darina@munzy.i ve them in 10grams sachets. im in orlu. this is my number 07033593249.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Munzy14(m): 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2017
Arvinkris:
contact me for your darina@munzy.i ve them in 10grams sachets. im in orlu. this is my number 07033593249.
ok.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by dondo83(m): 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2017
Arvinkris:

how much do you sell per sachet
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:14am On Jan 06, 2017
@Op, any idea which produces faster n better between darina n Murano?

Nice idea getting your irrigation water from the fish pond, I'm thinking that adds to d fast growth of d crops
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Preciousseed(m): 8:48am On Jan 06, 2017
Nice work OP, your cukes are giving me hope as I am doing a small number of bags experiment too on cucumber sack farm. mine are younger as I planted on Dec 25, 2016. I also noticed that the germination rate is very high seeing that in all the nursery bags, they contained one stand, I guess you planted 1seed/bag. Currently, the challenge I am having is wind. Wind is disturbing my crops and breaking the stem of some of them. Though I didn't plant in nursery, I planted directly in the cement bags.
Apart from the poultry manure mixed with the soil, any other fertilization?
2. Are you using insecticide and fungicide for pest?
3. Why planting 1seed/bag.

Thanks! Wishing you bountiful harvest!!!!!
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2017
Your cucumbers are looking great and healthy. What variety is the seeds and where can I buy them.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Abdullahi4u7(m): 5:50pm On Jan 06, 2017
pls can you upload pictures of yourself irrigating with watering can? WELL DONE
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Multimega: 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2017
please what is the essence of sack farming?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 9:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
Pavore9:

I commend your enterprise, keep up the spirit.

Thank you for the encouragement
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:
@Op, any idea which produces faster n better between darina n Murano?

Nice idea getting your irrigation water from the fish pond, I'm thinking that adds to d fast growth of d crops

I have not tried Murano variety before, but I can tell you that my Darina is doing very well in my location.

You are absolutely right the irrigation water from my fish pond is rich in dissolve plant nutrients especially nitrogen, hence no need to apply inorganic fertiliser.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:45pm On Jan 08, 2017
excelAGR42:

I have not tried Murano variety before, but I can tell you that my Darina is doing very well in my location.

You are absolutely right the irrigation water from my fish pond is rich in dissolve plant nutrients especially nitrogen, hence no need to apply inorganic fertiliser.

Okay.... This z kinda d first time I'm hearing of d Darina brand sha...

I plan to go organic.... Probably I'll perform an experiment with normal organic fertilisers on one side n just fish pond water on d other... Hoping d fish farmers around will b open to me collecting d water
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2017
Preciousseed:
Nice work OP, your cukes are giving me hope as I am doing a small number of bags experiment too on cucumber sack farm. mine are younger as I planted on Dec 25, 2016. I also noticed that the germination rate is very high seeing that in all the nursery bags, they contained one stand, I guess you planted 1seed/bag. Currently, the challenge I am having is wind. Wind is disturbing my crops and breaking the stem of some of them. Though I didn't plant in nursery, I planted directly in the cement bags.
Apart from the poultry manure mixed with the soil, any other fertilization?
2. Are you using insecticide and fungicide for pest?
3. Why planting 1seed/bag.

Thanks! Wishing you bountiful harvest!!!!!

Thank you very much. The harvest is going to be bountiful from the look of things.

Nice to know that you have started and I'm just few weeks ahead of you in my operation. I wish you success in your operation.
Like you rightly observed, the germination rate was almost 99% and I planted one seed per poly pot.

As for the wind problem, I suggest that you do not fill your sack to the brim, such that you fold the sack up a little above the soil surface as this will serve as a dike and wind break that will protect the young seedlings. See pics below

Apart from the soil mixture that I used, there's no other fertilisation except the irrigation water.

Finally I use only insecticide (BEST and EMIFORCE) whenever there's insect pest attack of economic threshold.

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 1:04pm On Jan 08, 2017
Aris112:
Your cucumbers are looking great and healthy. What variety is the seeds and where can I buy them.

This is Darina, and if you live in Benin City you can get them at Lagos Street.

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 1:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
Abdullahi4u7:
pls can you upload pictures of yourself irrigating with watering can? WELL DONE

Pics

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
More pics of the vegetative growth of my sack maize. They will start bringing out tassels anytime from now.

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Preciousseed(m): 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2017
excelAGR42:

Thank you very much. The harvest is going to be bountiful from the look of things.

Nice to know that you have started and I'm just few weeks ahead of you in my operation. I wish you success in your operation.
Like you rightly observed, the germination rate was almost 99% and I planted one seed per poly pot.

As for the wind problem, I suggest that you do not fill your sack to the brim, such that you fold the sack up a little above the soil surface as this will serve as a dike and wind break that will protect the young seedlings. See pics below

Apart from the soil mixture that I used, there's no other fertilisation except the irrigation water.

Finally I use only insecticide (BEST and EMIFORCE) whenever there's insect pest attack of economic threshold.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the suggestion you gave. please how old were the cukes in this picture you attached? Mine that started emerging on 30/12/2016, which is 10days as at today, though the third leaf is out, I hope they are on track with respect to growth?

On the pesticides, someone suggested fighter and Z-force. Also recommended GNLD's Supergro.........

On market price, I bought cukes s this evening and the woman told me she bought at #7,000/25kg bag here in Enugu. I think that's a good market price.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Realdeals(m): 12:12am On Jan 09, 2017
excelAGR42:

I get water from my small fish pond tank inside my compound. I irrigate every evening (due to the hamattan weather condition) using pipe and watering-can.

During irrigation , the water is applied to the base of the plant inside the sack and not on the leaves.

That is the BOMB! Catfish wastewater
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 5:48am On Jan 10, 2017
More pics of my Darina Cucumber

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Preciousseed(m): 11:22am On Jan 10, 2017
wow, congrats bro.....almost at maturity stage(if not mature already). Please when did you plant? as in date of planting and emergence?
Btw, thanks for the suggestion(s) you gave on the wind issue I complained about on my experiment site. It actually worked and I also used empty Bottled water to curb the wind effect too, the two methods are very effective. Congrats once again!
#AgricSectionrules
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 6:42am On Jan 11, 2017
Preciousseed:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the suggestion you gave. please how old were the cukes in this picture you attached? Mine that started emerging on 30/12/2016, which is 10days as at today, though the third leaf is out, I hope they are on track with respect to growth?

On the pesticides, someone suggested fighter and Z-force. Also recommended GNLD's Supergro.........

On market price, I bought cukes s this evening and the woman told me she bought at #7,000/25kg bag here in Enugu. I think that's a good market price.

The cucumber in that pics is just two weeks old (15 days). And I guess your cucumber are on track with respect to growth.

As for the insecticides and fertiliser, the recommended are ok. But ensure to know the recommended application dosage or dilution rate.

On the market price, thanks for that comparative market analysis. The price is almost the same here in Benin city.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2017
Kaolack watermelon

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by aquila3: 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2017
excelAGR42:
More pics of my Darina Cucumber
Gud evening sir, pls it takes how many days for this darina to mature from the planting day.thanks
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 9:09pm On Jan 12, 2017
A cumcumber seed will produce up to how many fruit sir.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 10:01pm On Jan 12, 2017
excelAGR42:
More pics of my Cucumber ( Darina) vegetative development and flowering
Bros I notice you need not space the sack, hope it won't affect yeild.
I also noticed that the bamboo you used was spaced, how many sack of cucumber should between two bamboo stand. Thanks for the anticipation.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2017
excelAGR42:
Kaolack watermelon
Can we also see how you use trelli for your watermelon sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta / How Yam Farming Can Contribute To Our Economic In Nigeria / Suppliers Of White And Yellow Maize Needed In Large Volume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.