Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,735 members, 7,827,698 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) (13011 Views)

Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo] / My Dry Season Water Melon Farm In Ebonyi State / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 11:22am On Jan 13, 2017
aquila3:
Gud evening sir, pls it takes how many days for this darina to mature from the planting day.thanks

It takes average of 50 days for the first harvest before subsequent harvesting.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 11:34am On Jan 13, 2017
FMCASH:
A cumcumber seed will produce up to how many fruit sir.

A Darina Cucumber seed planted can produce upto 10 fruit per plant or less depending on management and other factors like pollinators, and prevailing weather conditions etc.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 11:44am On Jan 13, 2017
excelAGR42:

A Darina Cucumber seed planted can produce upto 10 fruit per plant or less depending on management and other factors like pollinators, and prevailing weather conditions etc.

Thanks, answer to the remaining two question.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 12:50pm On Jan 13, 2017
FMCASH:

Bros I notice you need not space the sack, hope it won't affect yeild.
I also noticed that the bamboo you used was spaced, how many sack of cucumber should between two bamboo stand. Thanks for the anticipation.

Not at all sir,
The close spacing doesn't affect yield since trellis is used to trail the vines vertically to maximise space.

The maximum number of sack that I stacked in between two bamboo is 10 sacks.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 1:07pm On Jan 13, 2017
FMCASH:

Can we also see how you use trelli for your watermelon sir

I did not use any trellis for the watermelon. I simply allowed them to trail on the ground.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 1:25pm On Jan 13, 2017
excelAGR42:

Not at all sir,
The close spacing doesn't affect yield since trellis is used to trail the vines vertically to maximise space.

Thanks
Thanks very much, what's the inter spacing you used.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2017
excelAGR42:

I did not use any trellis for the watermelon. I simply allowed them to trail on the ground.
Wow! From the sack right? More pic please.
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by FMCASH(m): 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2017
One more question, did you parvorate the sack to avoid water log?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 8:41pm On Jan 13, 2017
FMCASH:

Thanks very much, what's the inter spacing you used.

The spacing is 1m x 1 m

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by emmyvet(m): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2017
excelAGR42:

I get water from my small fish pond tank inside my compound. I irrigate every evening (due to the hamattan weather condition) using pipe and watering-can.

During irrigation , the water is applied to the base of the plant inside the sack and not on the leaves.

Why inside the sack and not on the leaves?

I have a plot of land where am setting up my small fish pond which will not take up to half of the plot so I will like to use the remaining half plot to experiment sack bag cucumber plantation.

Like how many sacks can the half contain?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 5:15pm On Jan 17, 2017
First harvest....

4 Likes

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by shakyriri: 8:27pm On Jan 17, 2017
excelAGR42:
First harvest....

Congrats.many more to come
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Pavore9: 10:00pm On Jan 17, 2017
excelAGR42:
First harvest....

Congratulations! cool
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Preciousseed(m): 3:34pm On Jan 19, 2017
Congrats bro!!!!
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by babakk2(m): 7:00am On Jan 20, 2017
Thumb up man you really tried ooooo
because mind own sack was not good at all . The sun is too much .
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by excelAGR42: 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2017
Second cucumber harvest

2 Likes

Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by peterbabs(m): 4:48am On Feb 10, 2017
excelAGR42:

Not at all sir,

Thanks

Thanks for sharing.
The net trellis you're using... how is it sold? Or did you construct it yourself?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:35pm On Apr 01, 2017
excelAGR42:
Second cucumber harvest

Bros, please if u sold those, how much did a 25kg bag go for?

Also, did u venture further into the farming or was it just for experimental purpose?

Thabks and Remain blessed
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by Itydee(m): 4:31pm On Sep 07, 2017
Nice job. Very beautiful and encouraging. Any special soil for the water melon and which location are you? I observe that water melon do not do well in Port Harcourt area and South South. Any successful farmer?. What did you od to get it right with your water melon?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by orizucj(m): 10:42am On Mar 26, 2019
Lovely. I hope all these people asking questions then later embarked on the journey.
@op have you done another one since then?
Re: My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) by IamDammylove: 7:15am On May 30, 2020
excelAGR42:
I will be using cement bags for the project and so far I ve gotten about 200 cement bags, still sourcing for more.

The cement bags were collected from construction site, and washed as recommended by experts in the house (pavore9) before filling.
Filling the sacks is quite hectic but I enjoy doing it.

Also, poly pot was used to raise the cucumber and watermelon seeds to seedlings stage before transplanting into the already prepared cement bags.

The cement bags were filled with top soil and poultry manure mixture at a ratio of 3parts soil and 1part manure.

The tomatoes and green pepper are still in the nursery awaiting germination before transplanting into sack.
Thanks for sharing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here / How Yam Farming Can Contribute To Our Economic In Nigeria / Lagos To Establish Fruit Orchards In 20 Secondary Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.