Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 (588 Views)

Must Read: Catholic Bulletin 1 Cor 7: 32-35 / Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 / Spirit Meat - Preparation And Divine Steps - 1 Cor. 2:9; Psalm 37:23 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Tecnom3: 10:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
In 1 Cor, when Paul is laying out the the tradition of the resurrection to his readers, he lays out a tradition with his own testimony at the end.

1Cr 15:3-8 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

Seun please help me forward this to your Christian friends.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Oluwapresley(m): 10:09pm On Dec 11, 2016
Tecnom3:
The scriptures is the law and the all the prophets. the scriptures is the old testament books. the Bible as we have it now isn't how it used to be. we have the old testament and the new testament but in their time, they had just the old testament and this was like their own bible and this is what is called the scriptures. The bible can be looked at as having 2 testaments; the old and the new. it can also be looked at as aving 3 sections: the scriptures, the 4 books of the gospel and the epistles. the scriptures were what the Israelites had in their time. the 4 books of the gospel(Matthew, mark, Luke and john) were accounts given by these individuals on the life of Jesus when he was on earth and Jesus' teachings. while the epistles are the letters Paul and other apostles wrote. they are the revelations of Christ Jesus.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Oluwapresley(m): 10:10pm On Dec 11, 2016
I hope this is what you need.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by weblord1900: 10:42pm On Dec 11, 2016
Oluwapresley:
I hope this is what you need.
According to Paul, from the way spoke there.
It clearly signifies that there has been another book where the death of Christ and his resurrection was predicted. In the Old Testament it wasn't even predicted.

You also said that the scripture is the law. .. But the prediction can't be in law.
If it was predicted by prophets, he will simply say "according to the prophets" .
The prophets are not called the scriptures according to you.

Scripture means the sacred writings of Christianity contained in the Bible.
Which means all the writings contained in the Bible .
But you said :
The bible can be looked at as having 2 testaments; the old and the new. it can also be looked at as aving 3 sections: the scriptures, the 4 books of the gospel and the epistles. the scriptures were what the Israelites had in their time. the 4 books of the gospel(Matthew, mark, Luke and john) were accounts given by these individuals on the life of Jesus when he was on earth and Jesus' teachings. while the epistles are the letters Paul and other apostles wrote. they are the revelations of Christ Jesus.

Hmm.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Oluwapresley(m): 10:50pm On Dec 11, 2016
weblord1900:

the death, burial, resurrection and glorification of Jesus was Prophesied and not Predicted in the old testament so many times, from the book of Genesis to the book of Malachi. Every book of the old testament testified of Jesus Christ.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by weblord1900: 10:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
Oluwapresley

Paul was talking about the death,burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In which book of the Old Testament was it prophesied?

1 Like

Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Scholar8200(m): 10:56pm On Dec 11, 2016
Tecnom3:
In 1 Cor, when Paul is laying out the the tradition of the resurrection to his readers, he lays out a tradition with his own testimony at the end.

1Cr 15:3-8 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
Isaiah 53:6, Zechariah 13:7, Psalm 22, etc

and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
Psalm 16:8-10, Isaiah 26: 19, Hosea 6:2 etc

and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.
these was not affixed with the clause,'according to the Scriptures' because they were not from thence.
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Oluwapresley(m): 11:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
weblord1900:

Paul was talking about the death,burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In which book of the Old Testament was it prophesied?
it was prophesied in so many books of the old testament. every book spoke of Jesus in types, signs and symbols. google it with ur bible by ur side and read with an open mind, not with a mind to disprove anything. I leave you with Isaiah 52:13-53:12.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Kobojunkie: 8:50pm On Mar 09
Tecnom3:
1Cr 15:3-8 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. .
There is an obvious problem with the claim that Paul said in that passage of him supposedly being the last that Jesus Christ appeared to be.
3 I gave you the message that I received. I told you the most important truths: that Christ died for our sins, as the Scriptures say;
4 that he was buried and was raised to life on the third day, as the Scriptures say;
5 and that he appeared to Peter and then to the twelve apostles.
6 After that Christ appeared to more than 500 other believers at the same time. Most of them are still living today, but some have died.
7 Then he appeared to James and later to all the apostles.
8 Last of all, he appeared to me. I was different, like a baby born before the normal time. - 1 Corinthians 15 vs 3 - 8
Jesus Christ in His Gospel proclaimed that all the people in the the land at the time would see Him coming in the glory in that same generation that his disciples lived in. The passage below is one of 3 found in the Gospels which illustrates what the people of the time must have seen(by way of dreams or visions, thanks to the spirit of God poured out on those in the land at that time- Joel 2 vs 28 - 31).
26 “Someone might tell you, ‘The Messiah is there in the desert!’ But don’t go into the desert to look for him. Someone else might say, ‘There is the Messiah in that room!’ But don’t believe it.
27 When the Son of Man comes, everyone will see him. It will be like lightning flashing in the sky that can be seen everywhere.
28 It’s like looking for a dead body: You will find it where the vultures are gathering above.
29 “Right after the trouble of those days, this will happen: ‘The sun will become dark, and the moon will not give light. The stars will fall from the sky, and everything in the sky will be changed.’
30 “Then there will be something in the sky that shows the Son of Man is coming. All the people of the world will cry. Everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds in the sky. He will come with power and great glory.
31 He will use a loud trumpet to send his angels all around the earth. They will gather his chosen people from every part of the earth. - Matthew 24 vs 26 - 31
He revealed that the coming of His Kingdom— the nationwide/Israel-wide ushering in of the New Covenant— would happen before the end of the Last Days of God's judgment against the Nation of Israel(and Judah). So, when Paul suggests that Jesus Christ was revealed to only a select few, he is seriously mistaken. undecided
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Mar 09
Oluwapresley:
The scriptures is the law and the all the prophets. the scriptures is the old testament books. the Bible as we have it now isn't how it used to be. we have the old testament and the new testament but in their time, they had just the old testament and this was like their own bible and this is what is called the scriptures. The bible can be looked at as having 2 testaments; the old and the new. it can also be looked at as aving 3 sections: the scriptures, the 4 books of the gospel and the epistles. the scriptures were what the Israelites had in their time. the 4 books of the gospel(Matthew, mark, Luke and john) were accounts given by these individuals on the life of Jesus when he was on earth and Jesus' teachings. while the epistles are the letters Paul and other apostles wrote. they are the revelations of Christ Jesus.
How does this tackle the question asked by the OP for Pete's sake? undecided
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Mar 10
Scholar8200:
■ Isaiah 53:6, Zechariah 13:7, Psalm 22, etc
Psalm 16:8-10, Isaiah 26: 19, Hosea 6:2 etc
these was not affixed with the clause,'according to the Scriptures' because they were not from thence.
Isaiah 26 vs 19 refers instead to the time of the resurrection when all of Israel, who are in their graves, will be raised by Him. undecided
Psalm 16 vs 1 - 10 is David's plea and not Jesus Christ who instead said in John 10 vs 7 - 18 that He, of His own will, laid down His Life, and He picked it back up again. undecided
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Mar 14
Scholar8200:
■ Hosea 6:2 etc. these was not affixed with the clause,'according to the Scriptures' because they were not from thence.
Hosea 6 vs 1 - 3 is a curious one, and this is my current understanding of what the Prophet may have meant in that passage about the coming Messiah.
1. “Come, let’s go back to the Lord. He hurt us, but he will heal us. He wounded us, but he will put bandages on us.
2 After two days he will bring us back to life. He will raise us up on the third day. Then we can live near him.
3 Let’s learn about the Lord. Let’s try very hard to know him. We know he is coming, just as we know the dawn is coming. He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain that waters the ground.” - Hosea 6 vs 1 - 3
Probably before the coming of the Messiah, all hope of a revival was considered lost after a person had been lying dead for 48 hours. The prophet Hosea maybe meant that Jesus Christ was able to raise even those dead for over 3 days. undecided
Re: What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 by Maximus692(m): 9:10pm On Mar 14
Tecnom3:

1Cr 15:3-8 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.
Seun please help me forward this to your Christian friends.

Christ died of our sins according to:

For that reason I will assign him a portion among the many, And he will apportion the spoil with the mighty, Because he poured out his life even to death And was counted among the transgressors; He carried the sin of many people, And he interceded for the transgressors. Isaiah 53:12

Christ died and resurrected the third day so his flesh didn't routine in the grave as flesh begins to routine in the grave from the fourth day {John 11:39} but Jesus was raised before then:

For you will not leave me in the Grave. You will not allow your loyal one to see the pit. Psalms 16:10

And he appeared to his faithful disciples! Act 2:32

(1) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman's Gift To Daniella Okeke: Find Out For Your Self / Twitter User Claims Muslims In Egypt Donated Blood To Church Bomb Blast Victims / Full Story Behind The Gun Men Shooting At Catholic Church In Ozubulu( Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.