Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,001 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 (703 Views)

Must Read: Catholic Bulletin 1 Cor 7: 32-35 / Spirit Meat - Preparation And Divine Steps - 1 Cor. 2:9; Psalm 37:23 / What Scriptures Is Paul Referring To In 1 Cor 15:4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 07, 2017
I came cross 1cor 11::5 which left me short of words this morning and juxterposing it with the old testament leaves my short of words on the fact most pentecostal church including mine.
It's there another angle to this?

Cc: pastors
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by iamgenius(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
specter:
I came cross 1cor 11::5 which left me short of words this morning and juxterposing it with the old testament leaves my short of words on the fact most pentecostal church including mine.

Brother don't you understand English language again! It's simply saying that every woman should cover their head, and men shouldn't. 1 Cor 11:13 says men shldn't leave their hair to grow long coz they will be disrespecting God thereby, And women shld leave their hair long, coz that's why they are commanded to cover their hair. Some pastors even ignore this fact.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by iamgenius(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2017
Even if it's not being practised in ur church doesn't mean ur pastors are right. Do U Follow Jesus Or Pastors?
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
iamgenius:
Brother don't you understand English language again! It's simply saying that every woman should cover their head, and men shouldn't. 1 Cor 11:13 says men shldn't leave their hair to grow long coz they will be disrespecting God thereby, And women shld leave their hair long, coz that's why they are commanded to cover their hair. Some pastors even ignore this fact.

My question is sequel to the modernised theory/doctrine that woman no longer need to cover hair to church, some are allowed to barbe which I am not against, some carry weaves and wevons, etc.
Some even stand on the alter to address the congregation without covering.
My question is " the covering reffered to above, is it the metaphorical covering (natural hair covering ) or the covering with a Vail".

That's my question.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by iamgenius(m): 2:04pm On Aug 07, 2017
specter:

My question is sequel to the modernised theory/doctrine that woman no longer need to cover hair to church, some are allowed to barbe which I am not against, some carry weaves and wevons, etc.
Some even stand on the alter to address the congregation without covering.
My question is " the covering reffered to above, is it the metaphorical covering (natural hair covering ) or the covering with a Vail".

That's my question.
My brother, d definition of head is D Part Of D Body Above D Neck Which Consists Jaw, Mouth, Nose, Eyes, Brain. So if we want 2 interprete what to be used to cover the head, I will say it's the Veil. Some people that only follow their pastors will start throwing tantrums at me when they read this.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 07, 2017
iamgenius:
My brother, d definition of head is D Part Of D Body Above D Neck Which Consists Jaw, Mouth, Nose, Eyes, Brain. So if we want 2 interprete what to be used to cover the head, I will say it's the Veil. Some people that only follow their pastors will start throwing tantrums at me when they read this.

Well! Thanks. I wish the mods will do justice to this topic so we can benefit from the elucidation of our pastors/prophets in the house.
I am tempted to align myself with you postulation which appeals to common sense, but again, there is another side I was exposed to, which stipulates that it was the old position and the new position is that the hair covers the head, so there is a natural covering with no need for covering with the veil.
Again, I stand to be schooled, most of the character of Jesus Christ and the apostles, dipicts them having hair like that of women as obtainable in the western world. From the chapter, especially 10-16. Will you say those characters are being wrongly displayed that the true biblical character never had long hair like women?

I sincerely need to understand this passage as it affects directly what I have always supported.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by iamgenius(m): 6:04pm On Aug 07, 2017
specter:

Well! Thanks. I wish the mods will do justice to this topic so we can benefit from the elucidation of our pastors/prophets in the house.
I am tempted to align myself with you postulation which appeals to common sense, but again, there is another side I was exposed to, which stipulates that it was the old position and the new position is that the hair covers the head, so there is a natural covering with no need for covering with the veil.
Again, I stand to be schooled, most of the character of Jesus Christ and the apostles, dipicts them having hair like that of women as obtainable in the western world. From the chapter, especially 10-16. Will you say those characters are being wrongly displayed that the true biblical character never had long hair like women?

I sincerely need to understand this passage as it affects directly what I have always supported.
The problem is that most christians believe their pastors more than Jesus himself. I once had an encounter with a christian who said; "Even If Jesus Come Down Now And Tell Me My Pastor Is A Liar, I Will Tell Jesus That He Is Also A Liar". U see that? People dont adhere to d teaching of Jesus in d bible. Try not to be biased, just use ur brain and open your mind to d truth.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2017
To correctly interpret scripture we must take into account context and dispensation.A deep knowledge of culture and tradition is also important.Then, there is also the small matter of background information.

Background:As a mark of submission to their husbands , It was customary for women to wear a veil/head covering any time they went out of the house.It was a custom and had nothing to do with church or Christianity.
Now, the women just heard the liberating gospel of Jesus. They have just been taught that in Christ Jesus, "there is neither male nor female........."(Galatians 3:28).As a result, some women in Corinth were so excited about participating in church meetings that they abandoned wearing their veils as a symbol of their new equality with men in Christ.
Hence ,Paul instructed them to pray or prophecy in church with heads covered, not as a direct reverence to God ,but to address the issue of insubordination of women to their husbands.

We can clearly see that this instruction is not applicable to new testament believers like you and i because we don't conform to the same custom as 1st century christians.

Finally, it's imperative that we know that although the bible was written for us ,it was not written to us.This means that we are not the original audience.Consequently, we must read the bible in light of the finished work of Christ.May the Holy Spirit give us understanding. Jesus is Lord.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On Mar 08
I came cross 1cor 11::5 which left me short of words this morning and juxterposing it with the old testament leaves my short of words on the fact most pentecostal church including mine. It's there another angle to this?
This happens to be another one of the claims in Paul's letters that directly contravenes Jesus Christ who instead said in His Gospel that all men and women are equal and that He alone is Head/Master over those who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10.
1 Follow my example, just as I follow the example of Christ. Being Under Authority
2 I praise you because you remember me in all things. You follow closely the teachings I gave you.
3 But I want you to understand this: The head of every man is Christ. And the head of a woman is the man.[a] And the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man who prophesies or prays with his head covered brings shame to his head.
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies should have her head covered. If her head is not covered, she brings shame to her head. Then she is the same as a woman who has her head shaved.
6 If a woman does not cover her head, it is the same as cutting off all her hair. But it is shameful for a woman to cut off her hair or to shave her head. So she should cover her head.
7 But a man should not cover his head, because he is made like God and is God’s glory. But woman is man’s glory.
8 Man did not come from woman. Woman came from man.
9 And man was not made for woman. Woman was made for man.
10 So that is why a woman should have her head covered with something that shows she is under authority. Also, she should do this because of the angels.
11 But in the Lord the woman needs the man, and the man needs the woman.
12 This is true because woman came from man, but also man is born from woman. Really, everything comes from God.
13 Decide this for yourselves: Is it right for a woman to pray to God without something on her head?
14 Even nature itself teaches you that wearing long hair is shameful for a man.
15 But wearing long hair is a woman’s honor. Long hair is given to the woman to cover her head.
16 Some people may still want to argue about this. But we and the churches of God don’t accept what those people are doing. - 1 Corinthians 11 vs 1 - 16
Counter to that laid down in the Gospels by the one whom Paul claims here is the authority over him, Paul seems to declare that he, Paul, opposes the ideas set down by Jesus Christ in regards to
● Jesus Christ's ruling that He alone is the only authority over even the women in His flock
● Jesus Christ's ruling that all men and women are governed by the same rules in the Kingdom of God.
8 “But you must not be called ‘Teacher.’ You are all equal as brothers and sisters. You have only one Teacher.
9 And don’t call anyone on earth ‘Father.’ You have one Father. He is in heaven.
10 And you should not be called ‘Master.’ You have only one Master, the Messiah.
11 Whoever serves you like a servant is the greatest among you.
12 People who think they are better than others will be made humble. But people who humble themselves will be made great. - Matthew 23 vs 8 - 12
● Jesus Christ's ruling that marriages are of the world of men and not of the Kingdom of God
34 Jesus said to the Sadducees, “On earth, people marry each other.
35 Some people will be worthy to be raised from death and live again after this life. In that life they will not marry.
[b]36
In that life people are like angels and cannot die. They are children of God, because they have been raised from death. - Luke 20 vs 34 - 35
● Jesus Christ's ruling that honor comes to both men and women in His flock only through their continuous submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments.
23 Jesus answered, All who love me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them. My Father and I will come to them and live with them.
24 But anyone who does not love me does not obey my teaching. This teaching that you hear is not mine. It is from my Father who sent me. - John 14 vs 23 - 24

Whoever wrote this portion of the letter — Paul is assumed the writer of course—, did not agree with much of what Jesus Christ taught in His Gospel regarding these things. To add to it, the writer even went as far as to add his own rules to suggest that he has authority given him to add or change God's very own Law as he sees fit. undecided
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Zaheertyler(m): 10:06pm On Mar 08
Kobojunkie:
This happens to be another one of the claims in Paul's letters that directly contravenes Jesus Christ who instead said in His Gospel that all men and women are equal and that He alone is Head/Master over those who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10.
Counter to that laid down in the Gospels by the one whom Paul claims here is the authority over him, Paul seems to declare that he, Paul, opposes the ideas set down by Jesus Christ in regards to
● Jesus Christ's ruling that He alone is the only authority over even the women in His flock
● Jesus Christ's ruling that marriages are of the world of men and not of the Kingdom of God
● Jesus Christ's ruling that all men and women are governed by the same rules in the Kingdom of God.
● Jesus Christ's ruling that honor comes to both men and women in His flock only through their continuous submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments.

Whoever wrote this portion of the letter — Paul is assumed the writer of course—, did not agree with much of what Jesus Christ taught in His Gospel regarding these things. To add to it, the writer even went as far as to add his own rules to suggest that he has authority given him to add or change God's very own Law as he sees fit. undecided
You're just a fraudulent believer
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On Mar 08
Zaheertyler:
■ You're just a fraudulent believer
Are you so tiny-brained that you are not able to directly counter any of the claims I made? Call all I see is a typical religious nutjob attacking the messenger and not the message in this case. undecided
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Mar 10
iamgenius:
Even if it's not being practised in ur church doesn't mean ur pastors are right. Do U Follow Jesus Or Pastors?
All Churchians follow their pastor and mogs. To them Jesus Christ is just a name they throw around as a cover. undecided
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Ken4Christ: 10:51pm On Mar 10

Apostle Paul was trying to introduce the culture of head covering in the church but later struck it off when he perceived it might generate controversies. This is why he said;

1st Corinthians 11;16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

So, it's not supposed to be a doctrine binding on the church.
Re: Please Help Interpret 1 Cor 11:5 by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Mar 14
My question is sequel to the modernised theory/doctrine that woman no longer need to cover hair to church, some are allowed to barbe which I am not against, some carry weaves and wevons, etc. Some even stand on the alter to address the congregation without covering.
My question is " the covering reffered to above, is it the metaphorical covering (natural hair covering ) or the covering with a Vail". That's my question.
The churchian ritual has no connection or place with Jesus Christ or the God of Israel(YHWH). So, it is a meaningless ritual like so many other meaningless rituals that comprise the religion of Christianity and Judaism. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Realization Meditation / Pastor Gets The Beating Of His Life After Forcefully Tried Delivering A Mad..... / Selfish Christian Sisters? What Is Happening?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.