Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 (13754 Views)

Geraint Thomas Crowned BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2018, Kane 2nd(Photos) / Mohamed Salah Named BBC African Footballer Of The Year / Asisat Oshoala Wins Glo CAF Women Footballer Of The Year 2016(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by chi074(m): 10:48pm On Dec 12, 2016
Riyad Mahrez has been crowned the BBC African Footballer of the Year 2016.
Fans from across the world voted for the Algeria and Leicester midfielder ahead of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Andre Ayew, Sadio Mane and Yaya Toure.
Winger Mahrez, 25, told BBC Sport: "It means a lot, it's something big for African players so I am very happy, I am very proud.
"It's always good to receive awards and for African players it's a huge honour. To all the fans, thank you very much."
He added: "Also I want to thank the Algeria fans and dedicate this to them as well and for my family.
"I just have to carry on and keep going with my football and see what I can do."
The award caps an exceptional year for Mahrez, who had already won the English Premier League title and was voted Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year.
It is further recognition for his outstanding form as Mahrez, whose family comes from the small town of El Khemis in Algeria, took the Premier League by storm.
He was a driving force in Leicester City's shock title triumph, scoring 17 goals and providing 11 assists as the Foxes pulled off what had been a 5,000-1 shot before the season.
Leicester manager Claudio Ranieiri was in attendance as Mahrez received his award and paid tribute to the winger.
"I want to see him continue as a fantastic player," the Italian told BBC Sport. " It's very important for us, for the team. He is improving every day.
"I don't speak about his quality. I speak about his sacrifice, he has fought for the team because it's very important for us to be together."
In May, Mahrez became the first African to be voted the best player in the league by his fellow professionals, only two years after he had joined Leicester from Le Havre for £400,000.
Mahrez has made a remarkable rise from playing street football as a youngster to shining in the company of some of the world's best footballers.
In 2016 he proved he can thrive at the highest level, scoring four goals in his first five games in the Champions League.
He has also excelled on the international stage. In five matches for Algeria he scored two goals and provided five assists, and helped them qualify for next month's Africa Cup of Nations.
His achievements have also been recognised by football's world governing body Fifa, who included him on its shortlist for Player of the Year - the only African among the 23 names.
Mahrez now joins a list of greats, including Abedi Pele, George Weah, Jay-Jay Okocha and Didier Drogba, to have won the BBC African Footballer of the year award.
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38210161

2 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 13, 2016
FTC
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by TINALETC3(f): 10:27am On Dec 13, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by emmanski: 10:28am On Dec 13, 2016
ok
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by legendte(m): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2016
Congrats to him
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by herzern(m): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2016
cool
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Eazybay(m): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2016
He beat Aubumeyang d king of goals Bullcrap

5 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by legendte(m): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2016
TINALETC3:
K

I just dey look you.
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by kennyblaze007(m): 10:30am On Dec 13, 2016
Congratulations to him..I really do enjoy him play...Lord locate me...
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by 0955eb027(m): 10:32am On Dec 13, 2016
Riyad Mahrez. That boy can dribble past defenders even when they are armed.

1 Like

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Correctbro1: 10:35am On Dec 13, 2016
Africans and sentiments... How did he beat aubemeyang?? Aubey With his constant goal records against big teams both in the league and across europe... Dudu mentality...

5 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Segadem(m): 10:37am On Dec 13, 2016
Congrats to him
Moses next

1 Like

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 13, 2016
ok
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by pat077: 10:37am On Dec 13, 2016
I hope Moses wins it next year

1 Like

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by NeutralJUDGE(m): 10:37am On Dec 13, 2016
Congrats Riyad Mahrez....in the other news congrats CR7...Although i wud av loved Antonio Griezmann to win it
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by lollypeezle(m): 10:39am On Dec 13, 2016
Mahrez is a very good player for this year truly. His performance and contribution with the likes of Ngolo Kante, Drinkwater and Vardy in Leicester team helped deliver one of the most recognized trophy in the world to a team fighting for relegation in previous year. He is worth it than the rest listed.
Sadio Mane is currently having a good year as well as Aubameyang but without trophies to back their performance up, they dont stand a chance of being crowned.
Yaya Toure is out of it after his stellar performances in Man city but was recently frozen out of Pep Guardiola plan for the team makes him an unwanted cut in the list.

I Congratulate Mahrez as he wins the BBC award and the Glo African best as well, but i cant see him coming back next year to take it again

4 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by frankmoney(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2016
Aubemayeng deserves the award

2 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by julioralph(m): 10:44am On Dec 13, 2016
a well deserved award.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by NeutralJUDGE(m): 10:44am On Dec 13, 2016
Correctbro1:
Africans and sentiments... How did he beat aubemeyang?? Aubey With his constant goal records against big teams both in the league and across europe... Dudu mentality...
What sentiment are u talking abt??...Let Auba go and play for Hannover96 for a season and win BUNDESLIGA nd German player of the year...1st AFRICAN PFA NO BE PUFF-PUFF,,Moses won player of the month and u are dubbing him the next Messi already...Buhari nt our problem bt ppl lyk u,,y u no go vote AUBA??

8 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 13, 2016
Correctbro1:
You funny shaa, Aubameyang won nothing, Mahrez was the best player in a Leicester team that won the Premier League with no stardust. More interestingly, they were playing in the Championship 3 seasons ago, and 2 seasons ago they narrowly escaped relegation.
Mahrez was also PFA player of the year, Aubameyang is not one in the Bundesliga
Mahrez is the 8th best player in the world according to Balon d'or rankings, Aubameyang is not.
Nawa for you oo

11 Likes

Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Donpoker9(m): 10:54am On Dec 13, 2016
cheesy
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by ufuosman(m): 10:57am On Dec 13, 2016
He deserve it..... Congrats
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by SweetJoystick(m): 10:58am On Dec 13, 2016
Well deserved
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by michobalogun(m): 11:00am On Dec 13, 2016
we deserved, congrat boy
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by michobalogun(m): 11:01am On Dec 13, 2016
well deserved, congrat boy
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by delikay4luv: 11:03am On Dec 13, 2016
Well deserved. Intelligent player.
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by valgbo(m): 11:04am On Dec 13, 2016
it was already his the others knew that
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Correctbro1: 11:07am On Dec 13, 2016
NeutralJUDGE:
What sentiment are u talking abt??...Let Auba go and play for Hannover96 for a season and win BUNDESLIGA nd German player of the year...1st AFRICAN PFA NO BE PUFF-PUFF,,Moses won player of the month and u are dubbing him the next Messi already...Buhari nt our problem bt ppl lyk u,,y u no go vote AUBA??
you are not ok bro,how is my opinion related to buhari?? All this wailers sef, i tire for u...
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 13, 2016
Hmmmm

Wait self, In this award are they try to ignore musa's last season performance both home and away or i dont knw what i'm sayin

Well, CAF go soon come up with their own winner though grin grin
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Tisham20(m): 11:17am On Dec 13, 2016
congrat to him
Re: Mahrez Has Been Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2016 by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2016
Y IS THIS AWARD ALWAYS WON BY PLAYERS PLAYING IN THE EPL? BBC NA EME IMA MMADU O (IM)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Arsenal Vs Everton 5-1 – Highlights & Goals / Lyon Beat Barcelona To Win The Women’s Champions League For The Eighth Time / Tecno To Recruit Young African Players To Play In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.