Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. (2229 Views)

7 Must Read Books By African Authors / Help For African Authors At No Charge! / Famous Books Of African Authors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Terrentius(m): 7:26pm On Nov 14, 2009
Writing in English will always be a problem for any African writer.

Since English is not the first language for most if not all of the African writers,  when directly compared with their English/American counterparts,  their material seems substandard and limp.  The only universal pre-requisites of English writing are good grammar and punctuation, the rest of the tools, id est, imagination, metaphors, similes, references,  should come solely from the author. Now a lot of African writers suck up too much to celebrated  writers , Grisham et al, so much that they end up in awe of these people, and try to write like them to no avail. An author’s DNA is his imagination and you can’t reproduce someone else’s train of thought. While grammar and punctuation are English constants in this literary equation, the rest of the factors are variables which a writer can tool around with using their African background. Metaphors, similes, references, riddles and then some- there is plenty  in our African culture and we should take advantage of them.

Au
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by SEFAGO(m): 9:39am On Nov 15, 2009
I Think african writers are really good, whenthey are from an anglophone country. Even francophones, like camara laye are brilliant authors. My main gripe is that we are capable fo procuing brilliant authors, just that very few people are aware of their writing talents.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Terrentius(m): 7:57pm On Nov 15, 2009
Like I was saying, good grammar and punctuation are pre-requisites for writing a book in English. of which editing can take care of that , easily. It's just that so many prospective African writers try to immitate all these celebrated English/American writers. Once you are in awe of someone's writing , you are always under their literary spell, and will never think outside of their box.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2009
many of the current ones may have that problem.

i think its linked to the general decline in standards over the years, as well as lack of good editing.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Ifez: 1:29am On Nov 20, 2009
The good African novels are very good while the bad ones are utterly deplorable.

But the problem of bad command of English and poor grammar is not just a problem for writers--it's a problem for many Africans.

Too bad.

However, I love the fact that some Americans are taking interest in African culture and making it the theme of their novels. A good example is the "Feddie Girl" novel by Nona David. While reading the novel, you'll know it's written by an American, but at the same time, you'll be wondering which Federal School in Nigeria she attended. The research and syntax employed in the book are that good!

The novel is on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0982452608/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1257359162&sr=8-1&condition=new

You can also get it from the publisher. Bernard Books Publishing https://bernardbooks.com/links.html

I hear it's now available in Nigeria. https://bernardbooks.com/news.html

Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Terrentius(m): 7:58pm On Nov 20, 2009
Obviously, anyone with a grammar impediment will find it hard to produce a good piece of writing in English. Grammar is very important in the delivery, once you botch one or two elements in a sentence, the whole thing mutates into a dud.  Also, grammar doesn't have to be flashy, I know sometimes it's tempting to strut with the pen but there is always a danger of getting caught out waffling. My philosophy is always, KIB KIS- Keep It Basic Keep it Smart. Now, when I say smart I'm referring to the imagination gist. It has to be excquisite and fresh and on the other side of the gravy train slash cliche'. Don't forget writing is an artform and art is dictated by the artist. I believe there are as many writing tecniques as there are human beings on this earth.we all have different trains of thought. And what grinds my gears is prospective writers who are always mounting praises on celebrated writers. I don't buy into all that. Yes Grisham is a good story teller but it's because he exploits his imagination, he does his own thing, that shouldnt make him a literary android. he is just a true artist who delegates his own moves.  Now, almost every zygote writer who is being taught how to write, is bombarded with Grisham set books or such and such who is a celebrated writer, so much that by the time they finish their 'coaching' most of them try to emulate the celebrity. they can never do 'Grisham' because it's impossible to duplicate a writer's DNA. the sneaky reason why people are given set books is  so that they remain in awe of the writer in question=Writer's royalties which people pay using their brain. so my advice is
1) master the grammar as it is a constant

2) KIB KIS

3) dont give celebrated writers too much credit, it retards your progress as a writer
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by SisiKill1: 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
Was reading some literature books a few days ago and i was in shock at the grammer. These are books students are supposed to learn from? It's a sad sorry state of affairs.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Caringpro(f): 11:49am On Nov 23, 2009
We may be getting very close to 'grammatical error epidemic' in this country due partly to poor written 'English workbooks' and what-have-you the younger ones are currently being fed it!
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by AjanleKoko: 9:45am On Nov 27, 2009
I have a different perspective, actually.

Even though I do agree that poor English skills are a problem, but not in the way the majority of the house is saying.
Remember Amos Tutuola? I'm not an English or Literature grad, but . . . to me it looks like the original publications of most of the early African writers were not even published in English to start with. The Fracophone chaps (Camara Laye, Leopold Senghor, Mongo Beti, etc) were published in French. You guys only read the Translations, which were probably done by a professional.

Back home here, in the South West, 90% of the early published authors wrote in Yoruba? Remember even stellar academics like Adeboye Babalola, Akinwunmi Ishola, Tunji Opadokun, J.F. Odunjo, Femi Jeboda, D.O. Fagunwa, all published in Yoruba. We only look at the works of the likes of Achebe (I personally consider him as the greatest), Soyinka, Ekwensi, etc., because they have won international prizes. However, when you are writing a book, who is your audience? Odunjo was writing in Yoruba, to teach Yoruba children the history and language of the people, and not to the entire world. But that took nothing away from the excellence in his work.

I think we are missing something here. These are African writers, not English writers. Most people try to write like James Hadley Chase or something, and the result is always disastrous. We are Africans. Let the writers write in pidgin if they so desire.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2009
well, people should write in the language they're more comfortable with, since that will improve the quality of their work.

A good proof reader or editor however, can work wonders if you do want to write in english.
Re: Weaknesses of African Authors Writing In English. by SisiKill1: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2009
Exactly Tpia but i doubt most Nigerian authors, especially authors of those school lit books, use editors or proof reader. . .At least i hope they didn't coz it would give them a legitimate excuse.

(1) (Reply)

My Wedding Night (episode 4) / PAW PAW On Point (short Story) / Today In The History Of Fortune City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.