Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,391 members, 7,836,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes (1323 Views)

Who Remembers These Nigerian Music Artistes ? / Top 5 Most Handsome Bachelors In Nollywood At The Moment / Olajumoke's Photo Bomb Picture Rated No 6 In The World On A German TV (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 1:45pm On Dec 15, 2016
Top Five Most Under-rated Nigerian Music Artistes

5. Sauce Kid: His lyrical dexterity is effortlessly displayed through witty wordplay and rhythmic tongue twisters in his verses. His rap technique utilizes a lot of alliterative rhythms to underscore his ability as a lyricist of note. However, inconsistency, (2 albums, 'African American', 'Industreet' in six years) and a heavy leaning to a not too convincing 'Yankee' gangsta accent and affectations, has somewhat alienated him in the industry, and among the majority of Naija music lovers where he once had considerable swell and fan base, after his 'sanboribobo' breakout, almost a century ago!

4. Omawumi: Anyone who heard her cover of Adele's 'Hello', knows Omawumi undeniably has the vocal strength to sing Nigeria out of recession! The songbird has admirable vocal strength and range that is very richly explored when she puts it to admirable use hitting the notes singing ... or cussing out presenters who irk her in interviews! But it appears there would always remain that invisible glass ceiling for female entertainers who are not inclined to be overtly sexy and raunchy in their songs and appearances, to draw in lascivious fans in their numbers. A pity, that. But hey! at least we still got Tiwa Savage ...

3. Asa: The Hawk has been soaring high on the international music skyline, long after she abandoned her unappreciative Nigerian nest. Asa is part of a global movement of surging international artistes, with deeply original sounds that most definitely puts her in a league far away from the indigenous horde. But there is always something about Naija, that penchant for not recognizing and encouraging real talents.

2. Brymo: Brymo is strong dark coffee on a cold wispy morning. The "Good Morning' crooner leaves no one in doubt about his singing abilities, with a vocal texture that is at once velvety smooth, and passionately rugged. But problems with his erstwhile record label, Chocolate City, and a less romantic, more Afrocentric, even philosophical bent has seen him disappear from the daydreams of many enamored female fans. To him, according to a recent interview, 'the industry is flawed' probably in response to his dwindling appeal, which he denies almost in the same breath, speaking in third person perspective; 'I do not think that Brymo is not getting as much accolade as he should get. Brymo is getting exactly what Brymo should be getting now because if Brymo were to get more, then the award guys will not make money anymore.”

Ok, good luck reading between the lines.

1. Mode 9: The rapper's lyrical strength lies in his extensive knowledge, and use, of a veritable smorgasbord of words in the English vocabulary, including classical allusions (Spartan) and numerous movie references (419). The hip hop veteran is no doubt a master of rhymes, and his hardcore rap songs attest succinctly to the fact that he is a master wordsmith.
But his glaring drawback, is his lack of catchy hooks. No doubt, the reclusive Lord Modo can rap for days, but his chorus game is obstinately not in line with what obtains. And judging by his aloofness from the industry scene, cockily so too. He doesn't seem to mind much though, why should we? More grease ...

Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2016
Mode 9

Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Sleekydee(m): 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2016
plenty trend contents on NL are false, but am afraid this one is spot in...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by RagnarBankz(m): 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2016
OP...I came here to see if u added skibii on that list!

I for vex now!!
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by sirjomore(m): 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2016
Bez, Darey, Gt da guitarman, waje and a host of others I know...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Sandydayziz(f): 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2016
Hmmm
Darey, Timi Dakolo, Asa... That's it
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Nobody: 2:58pm On Dec 15, 2016
omawumni iz nt or was nt under rated...jst dah her tym has passd
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by davidmoyes(m): 3:16pm On Dec 15, 2016
It's a shame Most Nigerians prefer interesting rubbish
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Rhotiz: 3:30pm On Dec 15, 2016
They are not underrated
All u just listed are blown artiste.. That makes moni week in and out
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by baba4thegehs: 6:01pm On Dec 15, 2016
They are all under rated for one reason or the other like yiu stated lack of consistency and inability to flow with the trends are major constraints.

I got my eyes on brymo tho, that dude is loaded
His estranged deal with chocolate city affected his career
But nonetheless i still think he has something unique yet to bw unleashed.

As for mode 9 hes a lazy jerk, who does music for himself alone.

Nice piece
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 15, 2016
Darey, Johnny Drille.
Asa is not underrated. Omawumi isn't underrated either, just not 'reigning' atm.
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by LesbianBoy(m): 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2016
Airforce1 is underated i swear angry
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by Nixiepie(f): 10:29pm On Dec 15, 2016
Sean tizzle too
Re: Top 5 Most Under-rated Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 6:00pm On Dec 16, 2016
Lol! The comments are pretty interesting and hilarious too. I don't know about Mode 9 being a lazy jerk who does music for himself alone tho, I just think dude is pretty much disenchanted with the whole commercial thing to bother about competing. I believe Omawumi is under-rated, for the fact that she is vocally superior to the usual headliners like Tiwa or Yemi Alade, as far as singing is concerned, even on the same pedestal with some of the RnB divas, like Aretha and Whitney Houston. To an extent, yes, Timi Dakolo, even Bez. But they have carved and holed themselves up comfortably in their own niches, and done very well by it, it's hard to qualify them in like manner. Darey has done exceptionally well for himself, so no inclusion.

(1) (Reply)

“dear Muslims Tear Your Quran It Is A Tool Of Destruction” – Kemi Olunloyo / Mr University Africa-Nigeria,kerry In Sexy Fitness Shoot To Mark His Birthday. / Wizkid Snubs Yet Another Fan At The Soundcity MVP Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.