Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

water level steady but coolant level drops. why? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / water level steady but coolant level drops. why? (1410 Views)

5 Warning Signs Of Low Coolant In Car / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / What Could Be Causing Reducing Of Water Level In The Car Cooling System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 9:09pm On Dec 15, 2016
hello people of this weird auto talk world. pls I use a 1999 nissan altima GXE.
pls guys I av a question. wen I got d car from dealer water was in d radiator. i later drained it and filled with coolant. however I noticed d rate at wc d coolant dries up is quite alarming compared to when water was in it.
later i had to fix d thermostat so i drianed the coolant n refilled with water.after few weeks of use I noticed the water stays almost same level for a very very long tym unlike the coolant dt goes low.
pls guys izit dt dey af swear for the car to b using water ni abi wat happened ?
ok on serious note I would love to kno why. tnx fam.
make i go bring my pen n paper..
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 9:21pm On Dec 15, 2016
Maybe you're using the wrong coolant for your car undecided using water is not advisable as it gets to boiling point faster than the coolant and also the risk of corrosion or blockage of radiator''s fins
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 9:33pm On Dec 15, 2016
bigtt76:
Maybe you're using the wrong coolant for your car undecided using water is not advisable as it gets to boiling point faster than the coolant and also the risk of corrosion or blockage of radiator''s fins
exactly. wc was d reason why i drained d water n put coolant.
pls au do I kno the original coolant from fake now. cuz i av used different types bt story is still same...
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 9:44pm On Dec 15, 2016
Best you search online using your car type and model I'm sure you will get more info on that. You also consider the engine oil type you use. Most of these tokunbo cars don't like any kain oil.

Some prefer synthetic or natural. Use the wrong type, the oil burns off quickly thereby overheating the engine. When you use the wrong oil and coolant it's even worse.

mili3kid:

exactly. wc was d reason why i drained d water n put coolant.
pls au do I kno the original coolant from fake now. cuz i av used different types bt story is still same...
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 10:09pm On Dec 15, 2016
bigtt76:
Best you search online using your car type and model I'm sure you will get more info on that. You also consider the engine oil type you use. Most of these tokunbo cars don't like any kain oil.

Some prefer synthetic or natural. Use the wrong type, the oil burns off quickly thereby overheating the engine. When you use the wrong oil and coolant it's even worse.

hmmm... but nob anyau oil I dey use for my car o. m very careful of d oil i use....
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by diportivo: 10:43pm On Dec 15, 2016
mili3kid:

hmmm... but nob anyau oil I dey use for my car o. m very careful of d oil i use....

What oil grade do u use?

The KA24DE engine in ur car uses 10W30
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 11:01pm On Dec 15, 2016
Ok but is it the same specified for your car by the manufacturer? That is the point I'm driving at. Gone are those days when we thought for example, the thicker the oil the better. Infact the thicker it is, the worse it is for some engines.

mili3kid:

Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 10:19am On Dec 16, 2016
diportivo:

What oil grade do u use?
The KA24DE engine in ur car uses 10W30
v bn using 20w50 if I cnt get 10w30
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 10:22am On Dec 16, 2016
bigtt76:
Ok but is it the same specified for your car by the manufacturer? That is the point I'm driving at. Gone are those days when we thought for example, the thicker the oil the better. Infact the thicker it is, the worse it is for some engines.

exactly. recommended is 5w30 bt its rly difficult to get. even if I see its super expensive. so had to make do wit d best alternative. 10w30 ... bt sincerely most times na 20w50
do U feel the engine oil is the cause?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 11:57am On Dec 16, 2016
Very possible. Most times the higher the oil grade, the thicker it is and the more load the engine is forced to undergo running with it thereby inflicting more load on the engine and overheating takes place. it is not only when the two parts rub against each other that overheating takes place you know. On the other hand, using the recommended grade ensures it runs smoothly as intended. Best you stick to recommended ...difficult though but I'm sure if you liaise with other people with similar car model, they would let you know the best alternative.

mili3kid:

exactly. recommended is 5w30 bt its rly difficult to get. even if I see its super expensive. so had to make do wit d best alternative. 10w30 ... bt sincerely most times na 20w50
do U feel the engine oil is the cause?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2016
bigtt76:
Very possible. Most times the higher the oil grade, the thicker it is and the more load the engine is forced to undergo running with it thereby inflicting more load on the engine and overheating takes place. it is not only when the two parts rub against each other that overheating takes place you know. On the other hand, using the recommended grade ensures it runs smoothly as intended. Best you stick to recommended ...difficult though but I'm sure if you liaise with other people with similar car model, they would let you know the best alternative.

WORD!!! na word U get there bro.
tnx again.
will try get d recommended wen d next service is due then.
any recommendations as rgds d coolant?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2016
My friend just raised an important issue here now - need to add an additional radiator because of the heat in this country. Also 20w30 and NOT 20w50 is recommended in the absence of 5w30 or 10w30.

For coolant, best you stick with genuine ones. You can get from Games Store at the mall. Reason is most of their suppliers are audited and cannot be found wanting in products such as this.

mili3kid:

WORD!!! na word U get there bro.
tnx again.
will try get d recommended wen d next service is due then.
any recommendations as rgds d coolant?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by diportivo: 6:44pm On Dec 16, 2016
bigtt76:
My friend just raised an important issue here now - need to add an additional radiator because of the heat in this country. Also 20w30 and NOT 20w50 is recommended in the absence of 5w30 or 10w30.

For coolant, best you stick with genuine ones. You can get from Games Store at the mall. Reason is most of their suppliers are audited and cannot be found wanting in products such as this.

What exactly does the bolded mean

Does it mean there isn't heat in any oda part of the world
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 10:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
diportivo:

is true o... oga adding anoda radiator again?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2016
Well I was shocked myself but on explaining, he mentioned that most of these cars imported into the country were not tropicalized to our weather hence the need to ensure extra care is taken to militate against our harsh weather.

For example, the rating on the engine oil types - 5w, 10w or 20w actually represents the least temperature which allows it to flow effectively around the engine. You now know why your car was rated 5w ....in a temperate country, the weather drops as low as that hence the choice. Choosing a higher rating out there would mean taking a longer time for the oil to flow around.

Now imagine Nigeria where temperature during dry seasons can go as high as 30 degrees mid day, and you use a 5w, 10w, 20w oil rating, you don't need to idle the car for long before the oil flows around well. You can park your car for hours and in the afternoon you're ready to rev high as the oil must have attained the desired level.

This brings us to why the two radiator is favored, with temperature going as high as 30 degrees, it is very likely that the oil would start burning off faster than normal due to high engine temperature such that a single radiator would not be enough to keep it optimally cool. Forget the coolant because most are formulated for the temperate region where temperature rarely goes above 15 degrees. The weather also help in complementing the cooling down of the engine.

In Nigeria for example, the weather only complements in increasing the temperature of the engine.

@diportivo ....no there's heat in other parts of the world BUT not as high as obtainable in Nigeria and other tropic weather countries.

Happy Sunday peeps kiss

mili3kid:

is true o... oga adding anoda radiator again?

diportivo:

Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2016
bigtt76:
Well I was shocked myself but on explaining, he mentioned that most of these cars imported into the country were not tropicalized to our weather hence the need to ensure extra care is taken to militate against our harsh weather.

For example, the rating on the engine oil types - 5w, 10w or 20w actually represents the least temperature which allows it to flow effectively around the engine. You now know why your car was rated 5w ....in a temperate country, the weather drops as low as that hence the choice. Choosing a higher rating out there would mean taking a longer time for the oil to flow around.

Now imagine Nigeria where temperature during dry seasons can go as high as 30 degrees mid day, and you use a 5w, 10w, 20w oil rating, you don't need to idle the car for long before the oil flows around well. You can park your car for hours and in the afternoon you're ready to rev high as the oil must have attained the desired level.

This brings us to why the two radiator is favored, with temperature going as high as 30 degrees, it is very likely that the oil would start burning off faster than normal due to high engine temperature such that a single radiator would not be enough to keep it optimally cool. Forget the coolant because most are formulated for the temperate region where temperature rarely goes above 15 degrees. The weather also help in complementing the cooling down of the engine.

In Nigeria for example, the weather only complements in increasing the temperature of the engine.

@diportivo ....no there's heat in other parts of the world BUT not as high as obtainable in Nigeria and other tropic weather countries.

Happy Sunday peeps kiss

happy Sunday bro. tnx for the input. however I strongly disagree as rgds d extra radiator. reason being that the manufacturer must have built these cars based on world temperature not regional temperature
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by diportivo: 4:21pm On Dec 18, 2016
bigtt76:

Happy Sunday peeps kiss

I can't even fathom all what I av read here....tropicalization

This is some tonychristopher Shii all over again cry

U must av gone to oda parts of the world to compare temps....and I seriously doubt u av

At the OP,good luck with ur double radiators o

Even brand new Toyota cars av thermostat,use single cell radiator,and don't use 20w50 oil
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by nurey(m): 4:41pm On Dec 18, 2016
bigtt76:

Happy Sunday peeps kiss

Madam why nah, why will you allow someone to tell you tales by moonlight.

Tell me is it not the ford F150 used in the cold part of U.S that is used in Texas and the canyons which are even hotter than Nigeria. Or are you telling me they tropicalize it?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 5:13pm On Dec 18, 2016
Like I said, I was shocked myself but this sis someone with experience and he specifically mentioned Nissan Altima. You may wish to research further. I've done my bit make people nor come insult me. I'm a sis sha tongue

mili3kid:

happy Sunday bro. tnx for the input. however I strongly disagree as rgds d extra radiator. reason being that the manufacturer must have built these cars based on world temperature not regional temperature
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by bigtt76(f): 5:17pm On Dec 18, 2016
shocked

nurey:

Madam why nah, why will you allow someone to tell you tales by moonlight.

Tell me is it not the ford F150 used in the cold part of U.S that is used in Texas and the canyons which are even hotter than Nigeria. Or are you telling me they tropicalize it?
Re: water level steady but coolant level drops. why? by mili3kid(m): 7:18pm On Dec 18, 2016
diportivo:

I can't even fathom all what I av read here....tropicalization

This is some tonychristopher Shii all over again cry

U must av gone to oda parts of the world to compare temps....and I seriously doubt u av

At the OP,good luck with ur double radiators o

Even brand new Toyota cars av thermostat,use single cell radiator,and don't use 20w50 oil
egbon... I appreciate ur input o. bt abeg where did I tell U I was gonna use double radiator abeg?

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of An Engine For Toyota Camry 2000 / Auto Gurus, How Do I Raise My 2007 Toyota Camry? / Resolved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.