Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. (8070 Views)

Guns, Sex And Arrogance: I Hated Everything About America — Until I Moved Here / How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by blackspade(m): 9:34pm On Nov 19, 2009
The US is going through tough economic times. . . things are not that bad.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by No2Atheism(m): 10:07pm On Nov 19, 2009
A debtor is a slave to his creditor . . .
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by paddylo1(m): 12:55am On Nov 20, 2009
oh im sorry it wasnt $150 million it was $491 million which went to nigeria in 2008.  the us spent $26 billion on foriegn aid in 2008.  all of teh govt spending including foriegn aid agaist GDP gives you what we overspent.  so yes foiegn aid DOES add to the national debt.  the us sells treasury bonds to other countries like China as well as private individuals to offset some of the overspending which in the end this "loaning" of money from foriegn/domestic investors costs us money also increeasing the debt.  though in $ the us has the highest national debt.  in terms of GDP vs debt japan has the highest ration of 170% (debt equals 170% of yearly GDP while the us is about 61%) among the developed nations nigeria isnt debt free thier debt is over $9 billion

i know the map is like 2 years old but you get the point

us foriegn aid is just 1/2% of annual budget,so it is actually very tiny in the scheme of things,so its not really a driver of the american deficits
besides aid is not a recurrent expenditure,it can be cut at anytime
the big drivers are the massive entitlement programmes of medicare and social security,plus defense

of course the us has to borrow money to meet the shortfall btw what they raise in taxes and what they have budgeted to spend,hence the need to sell bonds like u rightfully said

US debt to GDP while at the 60% range is projected to rise sharply in the next 10yrs,due to the coming wave of retirements and longer living elderly people on medicare having medical treatment

Nigerian debt is in the $1bln range and not $9bln,since we paid most of it off btw 2005 and 2008

our debt is actually very very low for a nation our size,compared with mexico with about $170bln in debt,and dubai with about$50bln in debt

global elite?  who brunei, luxembourg and norway which are without a debt.  debt is the diffence between national spending vs. gross domestic product.  also called "the ballance of trade"  its not debt like you owe to a bank. there isnt anyone saying pay me the money or ill forclose your country. think of it on simpler terms you and your friends loaning each other a qarter or a dime every now and again (the total adds up but noone is standing there saying remeber all those quarters i gave you? pay up) look at the chart below.  majority of the us debt is "owned" by government progams and taxpayers.  some by private companies some by forign governments.  all the countries that hold part of the us debt they themselves have debt and the us "owns" part of thier debt.   look at the UK they "own" part of our debt but yet there percentage of external debt is almost 5 times that of the us  almost all countries have a national debt.

'debt is the diffence between national spending vs. gross domestic product',
this above statement in your quote is false,debt has nothing to do with GDP unless u are measuring Debt to GDP ratios to figure out how sustainable the debt is
i am guessing u mean to say that debt is the difference btw spending and the annual budget,for example US GDP is about $13trillion ,the us govt spending for fiscal 2009 is about $3.4trillion,of which the deficit is about $1.4trillion,so we took in about$2trn in taxes and borrowed the rest $1.4trillion,has nothing to do with GDP

its not debt like you owe to a bank. there isnt anyone saying pay me the money or ill forclose your country

oh yes it is my dear,sorry u dont know what u talking about,have u ever heard of when argentina went bankrupt,or mexico financial crisis or hell even iceland just went bankrupt last yr
the people that buy these debt are investment banks,ordinary investors,pension funds,other govts and so on, and they have aright to their money if u dont pay or if u default,its like when u get a credit card here,if u default no one would lend u money again till u pay up what u owe
so any country that owes must pay,because the consequence of default is very grave,
for one inerest rates on your bonds will be jacked up,and u cant even afford to roll over the current debt u have

majority of the us debt is "owned" by government progams and taxpayers.  some by private companies some by forign governments.  all the countries that hold part of the us debt they themselves have debt and the us "owns" part of thier debt.   look at the UK they "own" part of our debt but yet there percentage of external debt is almost 5 times that of the us  almost all countries have a national debt

my dear if u dont know what u are talking about please keep quiet,the US Govt does not own anybodys foriegn debt, US citizens may be own some foriegn or domestic debt but not the GOVT,the Govt has not been able to balance its books in almost 50yrs
china has about $2trn in US treasuries,and china is not a debtor nation
same with japan,though japan has a huge domestic debt owed mainly to her citizens

the way u should look at it is not who is owed but who owes what? the us right now owes $13trn dollars,some to chinese,some to domestic us investors,some to other foriegn govts
it doesnt really matter who it is what matters is that the US has to keep paying interest on this debt until it matures,and then they have to pay off the principal too
thats why we are spending nearly $400bln on interest payments this yr alone
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by buffnaija: 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2009
agathamari:

oh im sorry it wasnt $150 million it was $491 million which went to nigeria in 2008.  the us spent $26 billion on foriegn aid in 2008.  all of teh govt spending including foriegn aid agaist GDP gives you what we overspent.  so yes foiegn aid DOES add to the national debt.  the us sells treasury bonds to other countries like China as well as private individuals to offset some of the overspending which in the end this "loaning" of money from foriegn/domestic investors costs us money also increeasing the debt.  though in $ the us has the highest national debt.  in terms of GDP vs debt japan has the highest ration of 170% (debt equals 170% of yearly GDP while the us is about 61%) among the developed nations nigeria isnt debt free thier debt is over $9 billion

i know the map is like 2 years old but you get the point

well the U.S can print as much money as it wants , so it doesnt have any problem giving out its junk dollars. after all obama just printed out 700 billion dollars for his bailout. We over here know the U.S is the king of printing useless currency.

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Ank(m): 1:23am On Nov 23, 2009
buffnaija:

I AM NOT REALLY AGAINST THEIR SYSTEM. ACTUALLY I THINK ITS ONE THAT NAIJA SHOULD EMULATE. BECAUSE LETS FACE IT, WITHOUT A MODERN CREDIT SYSTEM THEN YOU REALLY CANT HAVE A MODERN ECONOMY.

BUT WHAT INFRURIATES ME IS THE DECEPTION.

PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD SEE THESE HOUSES AND THEY ACTUALLY BELIVE THAT AMERICANS OWN THOSE HOUSES- THAT IS , THEY BELIEVE THOSE HOUSES ARE PAID FOR. SAME WITH THE CARS AND ALL. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT ISNT THE CASE.

SO THATS THE ONE THING THAT IRKS ME.

and so

US HAS THE MOST DEBT

MOST CORPORATE DEBT

MOST CONSUMER DEBT

MOST MORTGAGE DEBT.

ITS ALL DEBT DEBT DEBT.

AND THATS what everybody needs to know.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Gbenge77(m): 4:46am On May 21, 2011
@op, that is your opinion.Even with all the debts,The Us cant be compared to Nigeria.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by jidewin(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2011
It doesnt matter.Before living your fatherland, seek Gods face properly for guidance, when virtuall all the hebrews we read about in the bible left their homeland,they were not welcome with open arms in a strange land,they called them nameS,SLAVE, JEW,F, KING HEBREW,ETC and all kinds of sub-human titles, but with God, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by AjanleKoko: 9:39pm On Sep 25, 2011
At least the US has debt.
Nigerians don't even have access to the basic necessities. Even the debt sef, is it available to anybody?
When banks mobilized tons of cash, they went through the money like a house on fire. They didn't make a penny available to anybody, save for their cronies who had no intention of paying back.

Nigerians should leave the US be, and concentrate on solving their basic problems like polio, widespread unemployment, and political/social instability.
Even Bill Gates, the richest American, is having to step in and see how he can help Nigeria solve their polio problem undecided
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 18, 2011
Fact remains its still better than nigeria and 80% of immigrants make it, Americans are basically used τ̅☺ easy life and that's why they can't hustle like we nigerians
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by cicero(m): 8:53pm On Dec 18, 2011
Most of these 'America is not what you think it is thing' come from people who are finding it difficult to make a living or discipline themselves to live in America. Over the years I have only seen very few people living in America with such complaints. The majority I know are living in America and loving it.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by chika98: 9:10pm On Dec 18, 2011
cicero:

Most of these 'America is not what you think it is thing' come from people who are finding it difficult to make a living or discipline themselves to live in America. Over the years I have only seen very few people living in America with such complaints. The majority I know are living in America and loving it.

Tell them! They're just finding it hard to assimilate into their new environment. They should move back to Nigeria then
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by Rocktation(f): 11:22pm On Dec 18, 2011
They talk as though they didn't hear the negatives before migrating. Then when they get there, they try to stop others from going. Mscheww. Abeg, let everyone that wants to live in yankee be jor. †ђξ worst that can happen is that they'd come back here and open a thread like this to dissuade others as well.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by kennybuda: 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2011
Shia make usa give nigerian passport visa free, if nigeria no go turn to desert grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by thelastPope(m): 6:46pm On Sep 26, 2012
Great arguments for and against. But one thing is clear. This is the reason why democracy in the US will eventually fail. The credit system will only work if humans are perfect but they are not.check out this statement below:

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of 
Edinburgh,had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years 
prior: “A democracy is always temporary in nature.It simply cannot exist as 
permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time 
that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public 
treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who 
promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every 
democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed 
by a dictatorship.”
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by snowbuster: 1:44am On Sep 27, 2012
some people dont think before they start posting stuff on this site .you said US live on debt , what happening to our father land that dont live on debt .

1 Like

Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by fankasibe: 8:37am On Sep 27, 2012
walesbanks: Well, nice one, but that is your opinion. America is a land of opportunities. Opportunities abounds everyday. There is no country in the world that you wont find traces of poverty, Do you look at the positive side of a thing or the negative side? I advise you to always focus on the positive coz there are two sides to a coin.
WE ALL LOOK BUT WE SEE DIFFERENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
broz abeg no vex but u no get sense at all, the OP was only trying to enlighten stuburn people like u to always belief in ur country Nigeria and stop running out....HOME SWEET HOME....i miss Nigeria and it people.....its ur home-boy 'Razor' writing from America prison.
Re: What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America. by jamace(m): 2:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
Chai, A-M-E-R-I-C-A!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic / Issues Arising From Green Card Through Marriage / Dana Air Commences Flights To Kaduna…promises On-time Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.