Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site (1299 Views)

Kenyan Says Nigerians Are Operating Like Chinese And Taking Over African Nations / Relocating From Nigeria To Ghana / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by 9jasite: 10:28pm On Dec 16, 2016
BY OREVA-OGHENNE ENAKENO

The allure of Lagos no longer exists for Belema Ebiere as she speaks of her 10 year stay in Lagos. She was a trader who dreamt of making it big in the Nation's commercial center. Sadly for her her 10 years of labour came to a bitter end when the Ambode administration carried out a December demolition of her shop.

"Everything I had was gone. Some of the goods I bought were on credit. I was so fustrated" She says while remembering the past. Currently she has a large Shop in Port Harcourt and she says she is doing just fine.

"Ever since I opened this Shop in Mile 4, I have never encountered touts. In Lagos they were everywhere"

Chibuzor Ifeanyi, A former bus driver [molue] in Lagos said he left because of tolls, touts and LASTMA touts. He currently drives the same bus in Onitsha. "I make the same amount of money that I made in Lagos. Many days I make more than th that because I dont pay touts and those LASTMA people" He happily flaunts some money to us. "My advice to my people in Lagos is for them to return home and make money. They should also bring their investment home"

Akpos in Warri said he wasnt happy at all at how a particular tribe made it looked as if Lagos was their property. "This land grabbers took a plot of land I bought in Surulere for 12 Million. That money was all I had in this world. I had worked in Lagos for 15 years since I left Warri. I was left with no option than to return to Warri"

When asked how he was coping, he said "I am doing so much better here in Warri. In Lagos I had no time to rest or even spend time with my family. It was rush here and there. And when money comes into your hand it goes out quickly" He continues "Here in Warri I eat, breath and work in peace. I also make money and still see it at the end of the day"

In Akwa Ibom State an unusual influx of Lagos born indigenes of the state has been experienced. This mostly has to do with the existence of modern facilities such as roads and recreation centers. "I want to go Home.....Akwa Ibom Ayaya" has been the theme song. Huge estates and luxury houses are exploding in Uyo, Abak and Ikot Ekpene. The Urban expansion is huge and unprecedented.

With this trend Lagos may soon become like Detroit, an Urban slum stripped of its glory. The making of an Urban center such as Lagos should be devoid of Tribal politics or vindictiveness. The elder statesmen and traditional leaders should avoid incendiary words that could cause tension.

Do you plan on leaving Lagos or did you just relocate from Lagos,send us your story to oreva@9ja.site or simply post a comment and we would publish it.

http://9ja.site/2016/12/16/why-many-nigerians-are-relocating-from-lagos-state/

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
I bet the immigration is far more than the emigration.

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by 9jasite: 10:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
Are you planning on leaving Lagos or have yyou relocated already? Share your story with Us
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by 9jasite: 10:34pm On Dec 16, 2016
OmaniPadmeHum:

Betting with emotions bro?

You'd definitely lose based on what is on ground

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Onechancearmy(m): 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2016
OmaniPadmeHum:

undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by babyfaceafrica: 10:45pm On Dec 16, 2016
People coming in everyday is ten tims those leaving...this news is meaningless..go to berger,ojota,oshodi andjibowu

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 16, 2016
9jasite:

Betting with emotions bro?

You'd definitely lose based on what is on ground

And you win based on 3 to 4 people interviewed? What is on ground? Do tell.

Please until we have statistics about the number of persons leaving and entering Lagos, we cannot speculate on any of our perspectives. People leaving does not mean Lagos will be worse for it either. Perhaps the State is even finding it hard due to population pressure.

Without such migration data/information and I mean quantitative data, everything we say will be speculation to suit (not even our indifference) but whether we wish to see Lagos collapse or progress.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 16, 2016
Onechancearmy:

undecided

The idiocy in the act of hiding behind a meme is what has kept you silent.

Without empirical statistics/data, anything we say is mere speculation.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
People coming in everyday is ten tims those leaving...this news is meaningless..go to berger,ojota,oshodi andjibowu

It is not surprising to me that we cannot plan the country. When people speculate because they targeted with bias and interviewed a few people. The undertone and bias also makes me wonder if the information is not borne out of hate for the State.

No wonder we can't plan the country properly, I repeat. Something as simple as this shouldn't be done based on mere speculation.

The only convincing method will be to get data on those relocating from the State and compare with those relocating into the State. Besides this we must know why they are relocating to or fro and if it is temporary or permanent. It is only then that we can analyze the statistics and draw valid inferences and conclusions. Demography is not a difficult subject.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 16, 2016
the irony of it is, the indigenous of Lagos state had all sold their land to the so called "foreigners" and does not have a reasonable investment on ground hence their children resort to touting to survive

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by babyfaceafrica: 11:07pm On Dec 16, 2016
OmaniPadmeHum:

It is not surprising to me that we cannot plan the country. When people speculate because they targeted with bias and interviewed a few people. The undertone and bias also makes me wonder if the information is not borne out of hate for the State.

No wonder we can't plan the country properly, I repeat. Something as simple as this shouldn't be done based on mere speculation.

The only convincing method will be to get data on those relocating from the State and compare with those relocating into the State. Besides this we must know why they are relocating to or fro and if it is temporary or permanent. It is only then that we can analyze the statistics and draw valid inferences and conclusions. Demography is not a difficult subject.

whichever way you look at it....people coming in are far higher than those living...but you can carry out a research to be sure in your mind...
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
whichever way you look at it....people coming in are far higher than those living...but you can carry out a research to be sure in your mind...

Yes. I share the same speculation/opinion.

But like I hinted neither I, You, the Poster, The one hiding behind a meme and hurling insults someone he doesn't even know, or even the Governor should speculate on this.

In reaching a logical and empirical universally acceptable conclusion, it must be done statistically/quantitatively.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by three: 2:11am On Dec 17, 2016
This is interestingly good news! Lagos is not competitive enough and does not encourage commerce only rent seeking (IMHO)

Let the City/Regional games begin!
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 17, 2016
Op just come out plain, you have something against southwest. Lagos in particular Judging from your topics
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by 9jasite: 6:17pm On Dec 17, 2016
ABUZINZU:
Op just come out plain, you have something against southwest. Lagos in particular Judging from your topics

Here you go again. Always tribalistic
Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by deriod(m): 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2016
Lol hoax so everyone that left lagos is making it big according to your write up ,Mtchewwwwww say that to those who've not bin to those places u mentioned ,and about the issue of touts I guess the yorubas are the same touts in onitsha and Aba , Nigeria as a country is messed up ,it has nothing to do with tribe,region, or people,so stop painting a non existing pictures ,bayelsa has more area fathers than any other state .

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerians Are Relocating From Lagos State-9ja.site by Nobody: 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Leaving

(1) (Reply)

Brain Teaser / Libya A Death Trap For Nigerians / See The Statue Of A Drummer @ Customs/Dangote, Ebute Road, Ikorodu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.