Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise (4929 Views)

NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! / Ndic – “digital Currency Trading Is Not Legal In Nigeria” See Why! / FG To Restructure, Recapitalise Boa With N500bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Adesiji77: 4:18am On Dec 19, 2016
In order to mitigate the effects of the challenges facing the economy in the banking sector, the Managing Director of the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Alhaji Umaru Ibrahim, has advised banks to beef up their capital.

Umaru said this while addressing financial journalists at a just concluded workshop organised by the corporation in Kaduna at the weekend.

He noted that issues such as rising non-performing loans and strain in liquidity were some of the challenges confronting the banks, just as he assured bank customers that the regulators would continue to ensure that the banking system remains sound and safe.

“The banks are facing liquidity issues; unemployment also affecting us globally, dwindling revenues and profits, high expectations of quality services from depositors and high expectations from investors.

“A lot of banks also need to recapitalise, and we know what it takes these days to raise fresh long-term capital. All these are daunting challenges that not only our own banks are facing, a lot of banks globally also face same challenges. Here, we are talking about high interest rate, in some parts of Europe and the United States, they are talking about negative interest rates. That is, you pay the banks to keep your money and they don’t give you anything in return.

“It is obvious that for any individual or organisation to survive, one has to do a lot to overcome this very turbulent moment. For us, in the area of supervision and regulation of insured financial institutions, it is very neccessary that we follow the dynamics, and continue to do everything possible to ensure that the deposit money banks, the primary mortgage banks and microfinance banks continue to be reasonably creative and innovative in their products and services, so that they would be able to weather the storm,” the NDIC boss added.

Furthermore, Umaru noted that with the gradual increase in the use of mobile banking in the country, there was need to ensure that fraudsters do not take advantage of the system. To this end, he said members of the bankers’ committee were doing everything to weather mobile banking channels in the country are well secured it.

“The other emerging issue relating to this is the current problem we are facing regarding Wonder Banks. We would not relent in calling Nigerians and in sensitising them about the dangers of patronising Wonder Banks. We have them in Enugu, Plateau, Kaduna and some other states. Please help us continue to tell members of the public that they should not patronise such institutions.

“These are institutions that are not licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) or insured by the NDIC. You are aware of the very recent issue of MMM. I understand that they just closed the window for sometime, but we would continue to sensitise Nigerians against it,” he added.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/12/19/ndic-boss-urges-banks-to-recapitalise/

1 Share

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by rottennaija(m): 5:59am On Dec 19, 2016
Hmmm... This emefiele is killing the banking sector.

1 Like

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by zainabxel(f): 1:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
Joh oo
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by IMASTEX: 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
Were you expecting the banking industries to be safe from this economic issues?! When banks are still disbursing loans to politicians for campaigns instead of businesses. It appears you are even more afraid of this wonder banks than the participants. Keeping money in the banks for you guys to have enough for self use abi?!

1 Like

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Dc4life(m): 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Femich18(m): 1:54pm On Dec 19, 2016
Issorite....I know he must mention "wonder bank". Without that his statement will be incomplete.
rottennaija:
Hmmm... This emefiele is killing the banking sector.
Not only Emefiele but also that fine woman in that ministry
Acidosis:

and you say people shouldn't do MMM?
Are you minding him... MMM has just started next year we gonna hear YYY as well

2 Likes

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Acidosis(m): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2016
Here, we are talking about high interest rate, in some parts of Europe and the United States, they are talking about negative interest rates. That is, you pay the banks to keep your money and they don’t give you anything in return.

3 Likes

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by feldido(m): 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
If MMM is not mentioned, then it's no news... Una go die from heartache by January 14th

1 Like

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Chukzyfcb(m): 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
liquidity is drying up in banks, same way it was in Mmm.
it means customers should monitor thier banks financial report, before it will fold or go on suspension like Mmm lol
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by 5oloto: 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2016
The effect of MMM being felt. People no longer go for loans with HIGH INTEREST RATE ANYMORE.NO more fixed deposit. MMM ti take over.

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION.... EXCUSE ME!!!The risk is my own, the money is my own, I was never forced to join. MMM. I understand the ideology of MMM Nigeria and the frozen money is still mine.Why are you killing yourself for my sake? I have never come to your house and ask you for food. Rumour mongers, MMM is stronger and healthy. Enemies of Progress!Federal government have been owning workers and civil servant for more than 9 months, 6 months , even one month yet none ever raised alarm.But MMM just froze account for a month.The media and news papers and rumours mongers are all over the place taking panadol for my own headache. As for me, my money is growing in MMM# istandwithMMM. IstandwithMMM

7 Likes

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by rottennaija(m): 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2016
Femich18:
Issorite....I know he must mention "wonder bank". Without that his statement will be incomplete.
Not only Emefiele but also that fine woman in that ministry Are you minding him... MMM has just started next year we gonna hear YYY as well

The policies of the CBN has a bigger impact than those of the ministry of finance. Ministry of finance is more about sourcing for funds to finance project, auditing and making such there are no leakage in the system.

But CBN is more of policy makers, they can determine what comes into the country and what doesn't.

1 Like

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by isaackenshaw: 2:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
Who do we bank with now. I tire o. Recapitalization upto 1trillion abi. Mmm don teach dem some upgraded lesson
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by amiibaby(f): 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2016
Ok
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by seguntijan(m): 4:21pm On Dec 19, 2016
Before you mock anybody for investing in MMM, think about this.
I invested all my Savings from NYSC in Savanah Bank, The Bank Packed up and left me with Nothing. I bought 10,000 shares in Transcorp when Obasanjo and "Madam Stock Exchange" initially sold the fraud to Nigerians but up till today, no shares were allocated to me and my money was not refunded. I remember my then employer deducting money from my wages and paying into government owned Housing Fund and also into the National Pension Fund, the 2 bodies were dissolved and my money dissolved with it. My Father and millions of Nigerians also paid into the same funds for more than 30 years and nothing came out of it.
Some state governments are owing their workers up to 1 year wages, the federal government and some parastatals are not different.
My father-in-law gave his life to NTA as a photojournalist travelling all over the country to cover events. Many years after his death, his widow is still waiting for NTA to pay his entitlements.
Remember how government came up with idea of community banks and encouraged Nigerians to patronise them, remember Allied Bank, Lobi Bank, Abacus Bank, City Express Bank, Assurance Bank of Nigeria, Hallmark Bank Plc, Ivory Merchant Bank, Lead Merchant Bank, Metropolitan Bank, All States Trust Bank, Coop and Commerce Bank, Commerce Bank, Credite Bank, Pinnacle Commercial Bank, Kapital Merchant Bank, Ivory Merchant Bank, Prime Merchant Bank, Republic Bank, Eagle Bank Plc, Liberty Bank, Progress Bank, North South Bank, Pan African Bank; remember pensioners who had their money in Societe Generale, dont forget the traders whose lives were destroyed by Gulf Bank, and many more too numerous to mention. Should we blame these people for keeping their hard earned money in NDIC insured banks ? Dont ask me about NDIC please.
On a different scale, remember how many hours you spent at the polling booth to vote for Buhari, remember how we all campaigned vigorously to remove Jonathan and how many people you encouraged to vote for PMB. What has come out of it for us all ?
How about the money you worked hard for and contributed when your Churches /Mosques wanted to establish those private universities and now your children are excluded from the qualitative education they offer because you can not afford the tuition fees ? What do you think about the money you pay to NEPA or whatever it is called now every month regardless of whether they supply you electricity or not ?
How are these different from MMM.
I agree that some people are into MMM because of greed but most of those who invested in MMM did so because they have been duped by some government backed schemes in the past. There is poverty in the land and people are looking for ways to survive. They knew the risk they were getting into and were all willing to take the risk. Afterall, living in Nigeria at all at this moment is a risk and working for the government is also a risk slightly lower than investing in MMM.
The truth is every Nigerian living in Nigeria is into one form of MMM or the other and I do not see any sense in mocking anybody for taking a risk, as long as it is with their own money. Afterall, Nigeria itself is a Ponzi scheme.
*This was copied*✔

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by Truth234(m): 4:24pm On Dec 19, 2016
Acidosis:

If one believe the nonsense these guys are saying, one will fail woefully just like them. Only Japan and Euro-area are doing negative deposit rate and the method was implemented to discourage commercial banks from hoarding cash meant to stimulate the economy at Zero interest rate under a program called long term refinancing operation (LTRO) in Europe. While the rest of developed nations have criticized the method as it eroded bank's profits this year.

In Nigeria, it is directly opposite, our interest rate is 14 percent, inflation rate 18.48 percent and unemployment rate 13.9 percent. So to even think of implementing such in Nigeria shows how clueless these guys are and how far behind they are in modern economics.

Recapitalization in recession is absurd, our monetary policy is not accommodative and has worsen things as banks use it to hike interest rates on loans, hence, forcing businesses to downsize to cut costs and meet financial obligations. the result, high unemployment rate, weak manufacturing sector, low consumer spending. The negative deposit rate is for commercial banks, not individual.

1 Like

Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by netmillionaires(m): 5:11pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hmmm... So you expect me to invest my money in banks that have no hope of surviving this recession. What if the banks should fail?
Re: NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise by omowolewa: 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
Where would they get the monies to recap from? Except CBN mandates such or increase the Reserve ratio, nothing like that would happen.

Withdrawal of Govt deposits impacted on their Equity but private sector can't fill the gap now with this inflation rate.

Stimulating productivity is the key to strengthening this economy and banks.

(1) (Reply)

My Piuni Experience / We Help You Register/incorporate Your Business(private Or Public) In Real Time / Blue Intercontinental Micro-Finance Bank: My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.