Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,311 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It (9484 Views)

Depressed Because Of My Yeye K Legs / I'm Depressed Over My Height / My Head Is Getting Bald And It Is Making Me Feel Depressed,pls Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by doskie(m): 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2016
RichieDaVinci01:
Many of us battle depression... That your favorite food is just thrash... Your birthday is just like another day and everyday you think of why you are even here.. Everything is just thrash thrash thrash ,esteem issues makes you feel you dont deserve anything good or you just one big loser.. Ive been there and am still in that abyss of depression but one day it'll be aiit just leave your PC and go out for a change all will be well soon
don't worry brother. You are not alone. Help someone out of it and be the God sent miracle in his/her life. You will be a very happy person.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 19, 2016
Greedgod:

y u dy sell space wey no be ur own ?

Daddy am sorry!!
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by chocolateme(f): 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2016
You are too young to be carrying such weights on your shoulders. Ask someone to check through the hairs on your head, one or two silver coloured strands may be found.

Please dear, I beg you in the name of the Lord.. Pray and and ask God to give you the will to overcome depression, then eat a lot of blueberries..
See movies when alone. Your books, concentrate on them and don't force yourself among people. Just flow freely among your friends.
If you have any small opportunity, talk about it (I mean the separation of your parents) with someone.
Don't allow self pity to eat you up alive because definitely, it will affect your marriage in future if you don't face your demons now.

You will be fine dear.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by purem(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2016
Sis go marry gbam....

Ur prob don solve

Lobatan
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by emsheddy(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:
Uhm.. I think I've been depressed since 2007.. The thing is I don't know if its depression. I mean, can someone be depressed without knowing it for such a long time? I'm really lazy to type right now.. All I can say is I went into a deep sadness in 2007/2008 when my parents divorced. Then I had self esteem probs in through out secondary school.. I enjoy being alone.. Sometimes I wish I was alone in the whole world. This morning I woke up having suicidal thoughts (to me I just think its me messing with my imagination, nothing serious), inflicting pain on myself emotionally and it feels good.. I don't know.. Maybe it isn't depression, maybe I'm having a bad morning, maybe its my period messing with my head. I just think its one of those sad days.. I don't know
I came to ask you to be my friend. Do you mind?
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Greedgod: 1:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
emmypong:

Daddy am sorry!!
take ur xmas gift

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2016
Greedgod:

take ur xmas gift
Dopest dad ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by emsheddy(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2016
Greedgod:

take ur xmas gift
you have destroyed your son! Where is Social Security? Get this dude arrested!
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Greedgod: 1:29pm On Dec 19, 2016
emsheddy:
you have destroyed your son! Where is Social Security? Get this dude arrested!
lol ,

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by chimah3(m): 1:36pm On Dec 19, 2016
Come let me give you counselling.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by IamSpenxer(m): 1:44pm On Dec 19, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

Depression is for weak minded kids

People find excuses or someone to blame for their mishaps

Your parents divorce shouldn't be a cause for depression ?? If you experience what I've gone through, you will not last for 3 days

I have a degree in psychology, conditions doesn't determine your mood or state of mind, your weak mind is responsible for that, if you tell yourself that you will be happy throughout the day, that's what you will get

The solution to your "depression" is

1. Find a boyfriend that will be laying the pipe frequently, sex is a medicine to stress and depression

2. Weed, just hit that shiit one time and you will be sitting all day laughing with your imaginary friends

3. Find a job : a jobless individual is venerable

Is that ur professional advice?? Or u just messing with the OP
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Alexk2(m): 1:44pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:
Uhm.. I think I've been depressed since 2007.. The thing is I don't know if its depression. I mean, can someone be depressed without knowing it for such a long time? I'm really lazy to type right now.. All I can say is I went into a deep sadness in 2007/2008 when my parents divorced. Then I had self esteem probs in through out secondary school.. I enjoy being alone.. Sometimes I wish I was alone in the whole world. This morning I woke up having suicidal thoughts (to me I just think its me messing with my imagination, nothing serious), inflicting pain on myself emotionally and it feels good.. I don't know.. Maybe it isn't depression, maybe I'm having a bad morning, maybe its my period messing with my head. I just think its one of those sad days.. I don't know

It's obviously depression dear. What you need isn't drug as suggested by some and it's not exactly a serious issue as portrayed.
Please reply my pm and let's talk.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Charly68: 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
Depression to me is the absence of Holy Spirit in a life. When God is in you,you will know that your destiny has nothing to do with your parental divorce or separation...David once wrote that it was in sin that his mother conceived him,he was brought forth in iniquity ..it means his situation was more terrible than yours yet God loved him & made him a king over Israel. Jephtha was regarded as a bastard,family rejected him but God made him a leader over them..Rehab was an Harlot but she became a celebrated woman thereafter by divine grace & mercy . I put it to you; is your condition worse than that of the people I mentioned to you? Move closer to God & let him lavish his love upon you,who knows your life might bring your parents back together again!
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by NobleG1(m): 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:

If you have depression, you'll know it.

Symptoms of Depression.
According to the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms of depression may include the following:

- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions.
- Fatigue and decreased energy.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness.
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism.
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping.
- Irritability, restlessness.
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Overeating or appetite loss.
- Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.
- Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings.
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by soonest(f): 2:00pm On Dec 19, 2016
From all you wrote, you sound depressed. You need to visit a mental facility for evaluation. The earlier the better. Suicidal ideation is no joke at all. I wish you the very best
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by pesty100(m): 2:00pm On Dec 19, 2016
Mama you are depressed just like me... But them this shiits depends
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by kandiikane(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2016
Justdulla:
Trust me you don't have a problem.. If i put you in ma shoes, am sure you would have committed suicide already. Truth is i try to make maself happy in face of sadness or loss of hope. Try not to be an Introvert, rather be and extrovert. Have friends that you can talk to, trusted friends you can confide in.. Humans were made in pairs, no one is meant to stay or do things alone.. just get a like mind as your friend, have fun, go to events, hang out, visit places, abstain from nairaland, social media et al. cos social media. encloses people, some people make social media their best friend and that in turn kills their social life cos they hardly have real people to talk to...

You should not advise someone with depression starting with the statemement, "trust me you don't have a problem, if you were in my shoes." Your problems aren't worse than hers, you are both two different individuals facing different obstacles in life that is causing a mental health issue for both.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by waluga(m): 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2016
i think i have the same issue as urs,to the extent that i snap at what people say negatively around me and never want to relate with people in real life but get so addicted to my fone a lot one thing is yuh just have to be strong and be close to God, stay away from watever makes you sad or angry..be with people yuh and and love yuh.....All is well
Unsad:
Depression is real af. Been battling years ago and now I've had to live with it. Just always have people who you can talk too and try to laugh as much as possible. My case is even schizophrenia mixed with depression and been like that for years.... Just try to find somethings in life to be happy about. Alcohol is also one of the things I use to supress it.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2016
NobleG1:

If you have depression, you'll know it.

Symptoms of Depression.
According to then U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms of depression may include the following:

- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions.
- Fatigue and decreased energy.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness.
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism.
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping.
- Irritability, restlessness.
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Overeating or appetite loss.
- Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.
- Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings.
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts.
I have most of the symptoms here
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

Your parents divorce shouldn't be a cause for depression ?? If you experience what I've gone through, you will not last for 3 days

I have a degree in psychology, conditions doesn't determine your mood or state of mind, your weak mind is responsible for that, if you tell yourself that you will be happy throughout the day, that's what you will get

1. Find a boyfriend that will be laying the pipe frequently, sex is a medicine to stress and depression

2. Weed, just hit that shiit one time and you will be sitting all day laughing with your imaginary friends

I think your license should be revoked.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by happney65: 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2016
Why won't you be depressed when you don't accept PMS. . ;DWhy won't you be depressed when you don't accept PMS. .
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by DonOms(m): 2:26pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee, you're most likely chronically depressed and it may or may not have begun with your parents' divorce -- which is devastating enough to distort a child's psychological balance.

Nevertheless, you must strive to become a better version of yourself; you owe yourself that at least. I strongly advice you see a psychologist who will be able to properly assess you and guide you through a healing process for your mind. Or if there's any close adult female humble friend you can pour your heart to, please do.

You see, depression is a lingering psychological problem and that's the reason it's difficult to cure. However, the first step on the path of healing is enough force to overcome inertia. You're definitely melancholic which indicates introversion but you must begin to do these regularly and infinitely so:

1) Love yourself (and love others). "Count all your blessings and see what the Lord has done." This will help you value yourself enough to avoid self loath, low self esteem and the feeling of incapacitation.
2) Channel your passion: There has to be some good cause you're passionate about. Take it up. Write, if you can. Join that group, start that class or whatever it is, just do it. Channeling it right will set you on a path of self discovery and liberation.

3) Stop Worrying. If you can get Dale Carnegie's How to stop worrying and start living book (or ebook), trust me you'll be thankful you did.

4) Start Living. Like all introverts, you'll crave being alone. However, try to defy that craving once in a while. Take an evening walk and greet as many people you meet on the road. Sit by a park and watch birds or whistle or embrace nature. Take a break from social media. If you resent anyone, call them and joke with them. Smile a lot. Love people. Love someone.
5) Get closer to your God. Religion has proved helpful to maintain a certain level of social balance for ages despite it's propensity to do just the opposite.

It may sound all funny, but you can trust these are proven ways to bounce back. I pray you get out of these soon and start to enjoy life as God intended.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Beey(f): 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:
Sweetie, please please please, seek help.When suicidal thoughts kick in, do not wait another minute.Asking for help is not weakness.Infact, it takes strength to acknowledge that you need help and then seek it.Depression has many faces.It could be mild or major.It's caused by hormonal imbalance in the brain but could be triggered by traumatic life events.I don't know what other symptoms you've been experiencing but you named sadness, suicidal thoughts, wanting to be in isolation.Others include being moody, being irritable for no good reason, oversleeping or lack of sleep, overeating or loss of appetite, forgetfulness, difficult concentrating , absent mindedness,Feeling tired all the time etc, you can use google to check.Please go see a doctor and explain your symptoms.Do not ignore!
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by UuzbaGuuzba: 2:35pm On Dec 19, 2016
Estharfabian:

SMh...

No one's Really helping her. Like NL is all shades of Fücked Up! sad

This is the wrong forum for this type of serious personal issue. It's a dirty linen and she's washing it in public. People will make fun. They always have. Ought to seek counsel with a doctor, guradian, relative. One person only not the whole lot of us.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by derinlani: 2:45pm On Dec 19, 2016
It is possible. I used to be very depressed. Children from broken homes seem to constantly face this challenge. The best thing to do is to leave the past behind u and move forward, be happy. That's the summary of what all books will tell you. Chronic depression has medical symptoms and when it gets to the point of suicide it is demonic. Forget about whatever makes you sad, correct those pictures with nice pictures of beautiful experiences. Pray a lot, and always try to be in the right company.

I hope you find this helpful.

https://www.tolet.com.ng/?utm_source=naraland&utm_campaign=nairaland19_12_2016&utm_medium=blog
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by NobleG1(m): 2:52pm On Dec 19, 2016
Baddchristy:

I have most of the symptoms here

Please, visit a doctor as soon as possible.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by iwriterng(m): 2:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
There is nothing wrong is wanting to be alone all by yourself.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by TrollTrap: 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2016
When I was passing through dark time I used to think I was depressed till I done a research and saw what real depression is... I reset myself sharpaly
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by Nezero(m): 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2016
Teen Depression is actually becoming common. I had depression too and I didn't know.

One day I was in a neighbor's house and I watched a movie I really liked. I was so excited after the movie and found it hard to sleep. I then realized I had not felt that way in so many years. My mood had never been lifted for about 4 years after a traumatic event..

Then I decided to be looking for things that can excite me. Before then I always felt like sleeping and sometimes wished death could come by itself without me doing the works, but when I realized something was wrong with me, I decided to do something about it. It was then I started having better grades at the University and started topping my class.

sometimes listening to songs I liked during my childhood helps to charge my brain. Like songs from Funmi Adams..

There really is a solution for everyone.

Please visit this link for a better understanding :

And please read that Psalm 23 quoted earlier. God bless..

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no1-2017-february/#?insight[search_id]=e4dea3cc-e300-49ef-ad58-a35df4eefcff&insight[search_result_index]=0

It talks about Teen Depression.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by otswag(m): 3:12pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:
Madam, Ur going through something u should not take lightly. Suicidal thoughts coupled with your other symptoms is most likely clinical depression. Forget all those people asking u to pm them. They may have good intentions but what u really need is to see Someone trained to handle issues like this I. E Any Dr preferably a psychiatrist. Do not let it slide. Do not sit at home thinking prayer alone can help you. U see those suicidal thoughts ur having, u may actually follow through with it if u allow it to progress without getting help. Yes it may seem unlikely to you Now but Believe me, depression Has a way of playing tricks on d mind. Go get help.
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by drealj: 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

o boy you san lori gidigan o
Re: Is It Possible To Be Depressed And Not Know It by otswag(m): 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2016
JuicyGee:
Madam, Ur going through something u should not take lightly. Suicidal thoughts coupled with your other symptoms is most likely clinical depression. Forget all those people asking u to pm them. They may have good intentions but what u really need is to see Someone trained to handle issues like this I. E Any Dr preferably a psychiatrist. Do not let it slide. Do not sit at home thinking prayer alone can help you. U see those suicidal thoughts ur having, u may actually follow through with it if u allow it to progress without getting help. Yes it may seem unlikely to you Now but Believe me, depression Has a way of playing tricks on d mind. Go get help.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lassa Fever Resurfaces In Abeokuta; One Person Dead Already / My Experience At Stella Obasanjo Hospital, Benin City. / How To Get Rid Of Sagging Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.