Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This (8132 Views)

FCTA To Demolish 140 Illegal Structures In Abuja Communities / Soldiers Demolish Old Barracks In Suleja, Niger State (Photos) / Chinese Man Moves His House After Government Threatened To Demolish It (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 19, 2016
Building collapse continue to dominate industry events over the past few years. There are many defective buildings waiting to collapse and the owners of some of these buildings are not particularly sure which way to go in fixing the problem.

Apart from being counter-productive investment-wise and attracting attention in a negative way, having a defective/sick building can cause the owner to be just as sick as it is because of the inconveniences that it brings coupled with uncertainties and strings of complaints.

What readily comes to mind or the popular advice is ‘bring it down and rebuild’. This demolish and rebuild option is often very expensive and can be really wasteful, even though some others argue that it gives birth to something new. What difference does it make? Using underpinning and retrofits techniques, a defective building can be restored completely and made to look astonishingly new at a much reduced cost.

Sometimes owners of such properties are forced to sell them at some incredible prices just so that they do not continue to endanger the lives of the building occupants as well as to avoid incurring the wrath of the law should it collapse.

But having worked on a couple of defective buildings over time, my team and I have discovered that not as much money and time is needed to put these kinds of buildings back in shape using underpinning techniques as it will take to pull down the entire structure and re-build.

For instance, it only cost about 8 Million Naira to underpin and retrofit a defective block of 4 flats located on the Lagos mainland completed in less than 7 weeks. However demolishing and rebuilding would have cost not less than 20 Million Naira; that’s a whopping 12 Million Naira difference which is enough to build two units of 3-bedroom bungalows extra. Besides it is common knowledge that it would take a longer time to complete.

The cost advantage is far greater in larger buildings. An estimate for the underpinning and retrofits of an existing defective three-floor warehouse shown in the picture (which has tilted by about 75 degrees to the horizontal almost leaning on the nearby building) was pegged at 27 Million Naira (including the cost of all external works) to be completed in 13 weeks but the estimated cost of demolishing the entire structure and rebuilding it amounts to 68 Million Naira. Once the underpinning and retrofit work is completed, it would be vertically upright and renewed.

The technique of using underpinning operations to restore defective buildings is not new, what is surprisingly new is the appreciation of this technique in Nigeria. It’s a similar cost-effective concept as used in other engineering sectors e.g. overhauling a facility using Turn-Around Maintenance (TAM) approach instead of demolition and redevelopment. Again, it has been established that underpinning extends the life span of the building equivalent to new construction and keeps it safe throughout its life span. Isn’t it too hasty to demolish? Talk to a professional Structural Engineer.

Source: http://engineerosaz..com/2016/12/before-you-demolish-that-building.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by guywitzerogal(m): 6:48am On Dec 20, 2016
Gm

1 Like

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jamalnation(m): 6:48am On Dec 20, 2016
Noted thanks
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by HQuadreal: 6:48am On Dec 20, 2016
Ok.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 20, 2016
wink
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by ifycelebrity(f): 6:53am On Dec 20, 2016
Really don't get it. Do you want us to retweet till this write up gets to Ambode and co?
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by osumak2: 6:53am On Dec 20, 2016
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by danemenike: 7:00am On Dec 20, 2016
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilizing the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning is a repair process that strengthens foundations which have been weakened by a variety of factors. In the process of underpinning, the area underneath the load of the foundation is repaired, made strong or reinforced.

Underpinning comes in many types and suits different kinds of repair projects. In order to make the right choice, it is necessary to understand the structure of the whole foundation, the supports used and the factors that cause the foundation to crack or get damaged.

Reason for Underpinning

Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:

– The original foundation is simply not strong or stable enough, e.g. due to decay of wooden piles under the foundation.
– The usage of the structure has changed.
– The properties of the soil supporting the foundation may have changed or was mischaracterized during planning.
– The construction of nearby structures necessitates the excavation of soil supporting existing foundations.

Though Underpinning is very good for stabilizing an old sinking building of structure, yet all is not well with this technique. There are lot of cases where one will end up with serious problems with Underpinning. Underpinning of an existing foundation is typically required whenever a new excavation compromises the stability of the soils supporting that foundation. Some of the common problems includes;
(A) Rubble Foundation (B) Excessive settlement
Further enquiries
Engr. Daniel E.
Building/Structural Engineer

1 Like

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by sashx(m): 7:05am On Dec 20, 2016
youngvizzy1:
How Does Ultimate Cycler Nigeria Work?

If you’re reading this article right now, I’ll assume that you’re interested in knowing how you can make money through Ultimate Cycler, right?

I’ll try and break it down in the simplest terms as possible…

Ultimate Cycler Nigeria gives you N50,000 after about a week, or even less of investing just N12,500, and if you’re not the type of person who likes to refer others, you’ve got no problem as the system would automatically fix 4 people under you who would pay you N12,500 each summing up to N50,000.

Once you register, you’re paired with someone to whom you’ll make a one-time payment of N12,500 to and your account would be activated, then you’re set to receive your own payments of N12,500 from four other people.

However, the only advantage in referring people is that it keeps the system going and it ensures that you get your profit faster.

If you register today on Ultimate Cycler Nigeria and your able to get 4 people to register today also using your referral link, then you’ll make your N50,000 in just one day.

If you don’t want to refer people, just sit back and relax and the system would automatically fix 4 people under you in about a week or two who will pay you the sum of N50,000

Introducing your friends only speeds up your collection of N50,000. If you choose to keep quiet, you’ll still get your N50,000 within a week or two through automatic pairing from around Nigeria.

There’s been lots of testimonies already, and I too am already benefitting from this scheme and I felt I should make it public too so that those interested can also start earning.

The Earlier you register, the better for you. Register Now on Ultimate Cycler Nigeria and get paid soonest!

Yes, I forgot to mention, if you’re not ready to make the initial payment of N12,500 then you shouldn’t bother to register on Ultimate Cycler Nigeria as your account would not be activated until the person you made the payment to acknowledges your payment.

If for any reason you’ve made a payment and the person you made the payment to has refused to acknowledge it, the system already has a way to handle such issues, so you have no fears as this is 100% real and secure.

In the past few days, Ultimate Cycler Nigeria has gained widespread popularity and that alone should be enough to convince you that this system really works, some even say it’s better than MMM.

Apart from the first leve l where you earn a total of N50,000

Anoda MMM? When we are still struggling to contain the number of mad people produced? And some gullible and greedy people will still fall for this. SMH
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by idiagbo86(m): 7:10am On Dec 20, 2016
This technique can go for building whose foundations haven't been affected .to repair a damage is usually more expensive than building a new house coz repair will always be done and can't guarantee a hundred percent accuracy. It's just best we don't omit any technical process during constructions.there is no maintanace work that can guarantee u getting a new structure ,it won't guarantee u won't have a reoccurring fracture as u had prior to the maintenance. In as much as u have a point here ,I still feel for the interest of those inhabiting the building we gat take the best procedure once a structure faults.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by kushma(m): 7:18am On Dec 20, 2016
Nice at op structures are now hard to make following the in increase of materials used in making them.

1 Like

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by gbadexy(m): 7:18am On Dec 20, 2016
sashx:

Anoda MMM? When we are still struggling to contain the number of mad people produced? And some gullible and greedy people will still fall for this. SMH
There are no shortage of gullible, greedy people. The best thing is for the mods to delete such adverts.
@ The topic, it would have been better if you showed us clear before and after pictures.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by truthspeaks: 7:19am On Dec 20, 2016
Ok
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Dsrooftiles: 7:22am On Dec 20, 2016
Nice write up...

For Current price of Origimal Rooftiles See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 20, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by three: 7:43am On Dec 20, 2016
Unconfirmed reports (from a builder working close to the site) state that an attempt was made to underpin the Lekki Gardens structure which collapsed.

underpinning is not a silver bullet
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Igholize(m): 9:08am On Dec 20, 2016
Underpinning does exist, it is been used 2 support a structural member temtporary while repairs Is being done on d structural member... As a civil engineer, i am well informed of underpinning nd have even used it method(timber underpinning) in carrying out a repair on a faulty suspended slab. Although, I have not used or seen it method being used in nigeria to carry out repair or remedy of an entire building but I have seen it being utilize to carry out repiars on small piece of jobs, like failing slabs,columns or beams.

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 8:56am On Dec 24, 2016
three:
Unconfirmed reports (from a builder working close to the site) state that an attempt was made to underpin the Lekki Gardens structure which collapsed.

underpinning is not a silver bullet

Lol...not every professional can carry out underpinning. It's not the regular construction you are used to. It requires expertise in that particular area.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 8:58am On Dec 24, 2016
idiagbo86:
This technique can go for building whose foundations haven't been affected .to repair a damage is usually more expensive than building a new house coz repair will always be done and can't guarantee a hundred percent accuracy. It's just best we don't omit any technical process during constructions.there is no maintanace work that can guarantee u getting a new structure ,it won't guarantee u won't have a reoccurring fracture as u had prior to the maintenance. In as much as u have a point here ,I still feel for the interest of those inhabiting the building we gat take the best procedure once a structure faults.

No, not very true! Underpinning can actually restore a building completely.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 9:00am On Dec 24, 2016
Igholize:
Underpinning does exist, it is been used 2 support a structural member temtporary while repairs Is being done on d structural member... As a civil engineer, i am well informed of underpinning nd have even used it method(timber underpinning) in carrying out a repair on a faulty suspended slab. Although, I have not used or seen it method being used in nigeria to carry out repair or remedy of an entire building but I have seen it being utilize to carry out repiars on small piece of jobs, like failing slabs,columns or beams.

What i see in the picture u posted is shoring not necessarily underpinning. can u kindly enlighten me more?
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Igholize(m): 5:49am On Dec 26, 2016
jeftalene:

What i see in the picture u posted is shoring not necessarily underpinning. can u kindly enlighten me more?
..... Yea bro, u re right on ur observation abt d photo I posted.... underpinning in most time is being applied/ utilized on a building or structure already existing in which failure has already occuring due to inadequate foundation,etc... i.e , underpinning is being used 2 hold nd support d building/ Structure foundation temporary while repairs./ remedy is been done on d foundation. Like I have said, I have nt seen it being used in 9ja but in developed nations. I salute u bro
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 10:30pm On Mar 05, 2017
Contact Engr. Osaz' via call/whatsapp +2348167394799 for this service and general construction works from start to finish.

You can also visit my blog for more construction tips;
www.engineerosaz..com

Thank you.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by idiagbo86(m): 7:55pm On May 23, 2017
Assuming u have a building that has lost it height above ground level due to construction or probably other cases like sinking etc, can this technique restore back the lost height?there are certain areas where this can't apply.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
idiagbo86:
Assuming u have a building that has lost it height above ground level due to construction or probably other cases like sinking etc, can this technique restore back the lost height?there are certain areas where this can't apply.

The process of restoration after underpinning will require that you also make up for the height too. So it will work since restoration is part of the process too.
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2017
Another successful underpinning operation successfully completed by your contractor of first choice! HEAVENS

Project Title: Underpinning Operation, Damp-proofing and Re-modelling works on 2 blocks of 6-flats each at Bakare Estate, Off Chevy View Estate, Chevron-Lekki, Lagos.
Client: Isoka and Masilo Properties LTD
Facility Managers: Aman Realtors Ltd
Contractor: Heavens Contractors Ltd
Contract Sum: Undisclosed
Duration: 1 month (August 2017)

Clients brief:
1. Building is sinking. We need solutions other than demolition.
2. Issues of underground water seepage in one of the two blocks. it needs to be stopped permanently.
3. We don't want the operation to affect the overall aesthetics of the building
4. Do a good job that will stand the test of time
5. Cash flow will be smooth.

Procedure/Construction Process:
1. Contract documentations
2. Structural Integrity Test (Foundation, columns and beams)
3. Site Preparation, removal of doors, windows, fittings and fixtures to avoid damage during operation and Temporary Shoring
4. Underpinning operation to existing foundation
5. Tracing and re-installation of all plumbing installations
6. Damp-proofing to stop active water (capillarity) action using the right materials
7. Ground Floor and wall Finishes.
Project Close.

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by NnamdiN: 3:37pm On May 19, 2019
eurekacan:
Building collapse continue to dominate industry events over the past few years. There are many defective buildings waiting to collapse and the owners of some of these buildings are not particularly sure which way to go in fixing the problem.

Apart from being counter-productive investment-wise and attracting attention in a negative way, having a defective/sick building can cause the owner to be just as sick as it is because of the inconveniences that it brings coupled with uncertainties and strings of complaints.

What readily comes to mind or the popular advice is ‘bring it down and rebuild’. This demolish and rebuild option is often very expensive and can be really wasteful, even though some others argue that it gives birth to something new. What difference does it make? Using underpinning and retrofits techniques, a defective building can be restored completely and made to look astonishingly new at a much reduced cost.

Sometimes owners of such properties are forced to sell them at some incredible prices just so that they do not continue to endanger the lives of the building occupants as well as to avoid incurring the wrath of the law should it collapse.

But having worked on a couple of defective buildings over time, my team and I have discovered that not as much money and time is needed to put these kinds of buildings back in shape using underpinning techniques as it will take to pull down the entire structure and re-build.

For instance, it only cost about 8 Million Naira to underpin and retrofit a defective block of 4 flats located on the Lagos mainland completed in less than 7 weeks. However demolishing and rebuilding would have cost not less than 20 Million Naira; that’s a whopping 12 Million Naira difference which is enough to build two units of 3-bedroom bungalows extra. Besides it is common knowledge that it would take a longer time to complete.

The cost advantage is far greater in larger buildings. An estimate for the underpinning and retrofits of an existing defective three-floor warehouse shown in the picture (which has tilted by about 75 degrees to the horizontal almost leaning on the nearby building) was pegged at 27 Million Naira (including the cost of all external works) to be completed in 13 weeks but the estimated cost of demolishing the entire structure and rebuilding it amounts to 68 Million Naira. Once the underpinning and retrofit work is completed, it would be vertically upright and renewed.

The technique of using underpinning operations to restore defective buildings is not new, what is surprisingly new is the appreciation of this technique in Nigeria. It’s a similar cost-effective concept as used in other engineering sectors e.g. overhauling a facility using Turn-Around Maintenance (TAM) approach instead of demolition and redevelopment. Again, it has been established that underpinning extends the life span of the building equivalent to new construction and keeps it safe throughout its life span. Isn’t it too hasty to demolish? Talk to a professional Structural Engineer.

Source: http://engineerosaz..com/2016/12/before-you-demolish-that-building.html
chief can I get your contact via PM? I've got a house giving issues
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by Cabxi: 11:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
NnamdiN:
chief can I get your contact via PM? I've got a house giving issues

You can contact Engr. Osaz' (the author of the article) via Call/WhatsApp on 08167394799. You find the contact on his blog too.

Thank me later
Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 9:33am On Apr 20, 2022
Structural Integrity Test by Heavens Contractors Ltd 07001113333

Re: Before You Demolish That Structure, Consider This by jeftalene(m): 2:18am On Oct 13, 2022
Sell properties faster on www.propertyapp.ng and it's absolutely free!

(1) (Reply)

97 Acres sharing boundaries with the Lekki Free Trade Zone for sale / POP ( Plaster Of Paris) , Wall Screeding And Window Artwork / Boom Barriers And Traffic Pole 08132493898

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.