Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

The Origin Of Jollof Rice - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Origin Of Jollof Rice (29028 Views)

I Prepared Jollof Rice For New Year / “yorubas Cook Jollof Rice Better Than Igbos” - Nigerian Man Says / When You Mix Ghana And Nigerian Jollof Rice (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 10:19am On Dec 23, 2016
mikhe2:
banga rice na d height.. op do make u taste banga rice
Is Banga rice that special? It's just on the average to me though. I think why I hate it is due to the fact that I hate watery meals and the preparation of Banga rice cause the rice in itself to retain tons of the oil and water in the palm fruits.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 10:24am On Dec 23, 2016
dboss444:

No wonder e dey quick spoil
This is very funny grin grin grin grin

Not like it spoils faster. The problem is, the longer you keep it, the more it loses its savour. Fried rice in itself is meant to be crispy and dry, with lesser water presence. The same applies to the vegetables added. Most people tend to mess this up from the very beginning which causes the rice to start losing strength just few hours after being prepared.

Another trick is to not 'warm' it. It doesn't carry much weight as the Jollof rice. A better way of preserving it is to keep it in the refrigerator while the portion to be consumed is to be taken and 'microwaved'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by adesola220: 10:24am On Dec 23, 2016
Jollof rice emanated from Senegal, if you happen to travel vast you will know what am talking about
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bukatyne(f): 10:24am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Not true. The Jambalaya rice is what a typical Nigerian would call concoction but in a more advanced manner. It is a blend of vegetables and meats, plus shrimps mixed in rice. It is even far more expensive than the hallowed Jollof Rice and they're not all that similar. Jambalaya is not even common in Africa. If you try to compare and contrast on recipes for both, one would discover that Jambalaya is more of meats, vegetables, shrimps and what have you than rice in itself.

Is this Jambalaya rice?

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Lol... I used to believe so, not until I discovered it doesn't really belong to us. grin

Question is, can we really be the best at something we didn't invent?

Ask the Chinese wink

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 10:44am On Dec 23, 2016
bukatyne:

Is this Jambalaya rice?
That's a well assorted fried rice. Below is a Jambalaya rice.

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 23, 2016
What's with people and this Jellof rice? I so much dislike that food.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bukatyne(f): 10:55am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

That's a well assorted fried rice. Below is a Jambalaya rice.

Thanks

Thinking of cooking the well assorted fried rice for sunday.

Not just feeling this Christmas undecided
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 11:10am On Dec 23, 2016
bukatyne:

Thanks

Thinking of cooking the well assorted fried rice for sunday.

Not just feeling this Christmas undecided
Lol... This Christmas is off key. Shrimps are hard to come by here, even at the malls.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by eyinjuege: 11:12am On Dec 23, 2016
Nixiepie:
Tbh Nigerian jollof tastes better,any other one is counterfeit thou I'm not really a fan of jollof,

Btw op where is the origin of fried rice?

fried rice is from Singapore or China I believe. Its more like Singapore rice.
I may be wrong though.
Wolof rice from The Gambia. The first time I heard that years ago, I was in shock that our beloved national dish of Jollof rice didn't originate from us. I refused to accept it. If it's not Nigerian jollof rice, it can never be jollof rice angry
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bukatyne(f): 11:16am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Lol... This Christmas is off key. Shrimps are hard to come by here, even at the malls.

Lol @ this Christmas is off key.

I don't just feel it.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bi0nics: 11:18am On Dec 23, 2016
cosade:

Yes but not as spicy and tasty as ours.

Lemme guess...Ya a Ghanian?
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bi0nics: 11:19am On Dec 23, 2016
John902:
come Ibadan come chop Amala ati obe Ewedu

Funny enough...I'm eating it presently
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Ishilove: 11:29am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Scotch bonnet is a cousin to the Habanero (Rodo). The difference is that the Scotch bonnet is slightly sweeter. In terms of availability, the Habanero is much more common while the Scotch is rare.

Tatashe is called Capsicum annuum or just fruited sweet pepper.
There's nothing sweet about tatashe grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Ishilove: 11:32am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Is Banga rice that special? It's just on the average to me though. I think why I hate it is due to the fact that I hate watery meals and the preparation of Banga rice cause the rice in itself to retain tons of the oil and water in the palm fruits.
E be like sey you sabi cook pass me o grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by dadaha: 11:35am On Dec 23, 2016
undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by dadaha: 11:41am On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:
Ghanaian Jollof

[img]http://1.bp..com/-9WtTL0o7T-s/VcifopXENXI/AAAAAAAAEOQ/BtC_9MsW9S0/s640/blogger-image--485141841.jpg[/img]
A picture of Ghanaian Jollof rice. Source:http://ndudu-by-fafa..com.ng/2015/08/jollof-rice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jollof_rice

Unfortunately, Maya Angelou gave Ghanaians the tenacity to square Nigerians with their jollof prowess after mentioning them in her autobiography, A Song Flung Up to Heaven angry angry undecided undecided undecided

A Song Flung Up to Heaven (New York: Random House, 2002), Maya Angelou's sixth volume of autobiography, begins with the author returning home to the United States from Africa. In this excerpt, her mother shares a letter containing a recipe for Jollof Rice which the author had previously sent from Africa.

[i][/i]
http://www.congocookbook.com/rice_recipes/jollof_rice.html

I wonder why the likes of JK Rowlings has failed to come down to Nigeria to testify and include our 'Jollofing' prowess in her autobiography undecided undecided undecided

She actually wrote Harry Potter from her experiences in Edo grin
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by cosade(m): 11:47am On Dec 23, 2016
bi0nics:

Lemme guess...Ya a Ghanian?

E ti sen?
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by bi0nics: 11:53am On Dec 23, 2016
cosade:

E ti sen?

Dafuq?? undecided
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 11:54am On Dec 23, 2016
Ishilove:

E be like sey you sabi cook pass me o grin
I doubt that. grin.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 11:56am On Dec 23, 2016
Ishilove:

There's nothing sweet about tatashe grin
grin grin

Tatashe is not as hot as Rodo though. I guess it explains why they call it 'sweet' cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 23, 2016
bi0nics:
Nigeria makes the best Jollof rice...

A party without Jollof rice in Nigeria is just a meeting. . #Fact

Nigeria makes one of the best jollof rice in the world.
Not the best, you need to taste jollof rice of other countries to be able to say that.
Benching as it is called in the Gambia is their best food. and that is the only food Gambians share with ppl.
It is usually eaten as lunch and Nigerians living there nicknamed it "Salam Alekum" grin

You know why?
Because if you are going on the street and U see them eating lunch (jollof rice) you don't need to know anyone there before u can eat. just say salam Alekum and join them. They would gladly welcome you create a space for you in the circle and there you go..
They eat it in a very big bowl and they can be up to ten eating from the same bowl.

Benachin is a delicious meal in the Gambia.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by onward4life(m): 12:14pm On Dec 23, 2016
buzquet:
Nigerians and Jollof Rice are

Jollof Rice is purely made and owned by Nigerians.
Hw could a Nigerian deny us our basic right
Dnt allow hostel boys hear yu talk rubbish ooo
If yu contest this people will make heaven walahi

I time of injustice against our best cultural heritage
#iStandWithJollofRice
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by UuzbaGuuzba: 12:28pm On Dec 23, 2016
The question you want to ask is "Who invented Eba?".
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by excellentelitec(f): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2016
Am a Nigerian and I like Nigerian Jollof rice. I have travelled to Togo, Benin, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Senegal. Believe it or not Ghana & Senegal are the best when it comes to preparing Jollof rice.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by claremont(m): 1:08pm On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Lol... I used to believe so, not until I discovered it doesn't really belong to us. grin

No one actually knows the country jollof rice originates from. Do not use wikipedia as a reference, I can go on the same wikipedia you quoted and edit it to say that jollof rice originates from the Tiv tribe in Benue state, Nigeria.

However, I have tasted Gambia jollof rice, and it was awesome.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by koredeking: 2:40pm On Dec 23, 2016
bi0nics:
Nigeria makes the best Jollof rice...

A party without Jollof rice in Nigeria is just a meeting. . #Fact
lmao.. Ur comment is so hilarious
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by juligon: 3:01pm On Dec 23, 2016
no b jollof I de call am o... na Jellof
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Yes na, Russians were to first to get to space, but Americans perfected space travelling by reaching the moon.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by iamcalmbiatchez: 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2016
Oh no! End time heartbreak.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Sanchez01: 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2016
claremont:

No one actually knows the country jollof rice originates from. Do not use wikipedia as a reference, I can go on the same wikipedia you quoted and edit it to say that jollof rice originates from the Tiv tribe in Benue state, Nigeria.

However, I have tasted Gambia jollof rice, and it was awesome.
Except you're just reading up on or know this, quite a handful of persons have been in the know before now. Sengal and The Gambia are thought to those with the best recipes. Wikipedia is written yes, but so many articles litter the cyberspace on this.
Re: The Origin Of Jollof Rice by Momoh7(m): 10:51am On Dec 24, 2016
Erigga 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Make Delicious Bitter Leaf Soup With Assorted Meat (Photos,Video) / How To Make Spaghetti (Delicious Jollof Spaghetti) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.