Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,466 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. (1270 Views)

How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? / Lagos Stops Promotion Based On Career Progression, Reveals New Criterion (MUST R / Johnspeak Uwangue: How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Dereformer(m): 9:47am On Dec 21, 2016
I have asked this question before in Nairaland and i got scanty response.

Please, good people in the forum, how can one learn the art of having confidence during public speaking and avoiding stammering and stage fright during presentations and conversations? The presentations could be giving answers to questions or simply talking to a live audience.

I can write well. But speaking to a live audience is currently my Achilles hill. Have you been in my shoes before? how did you overcome this challenge?

How can one also improve in ones spoken English? Not necessarily using phonetics, but improvement in grammer, and speaking skills.

Are there videos, books or school or training that addresses these.
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 21, 2016
practice practice and practice. practice by speaking on your own to yourself. you will notice the real confidence you will get by doing this.you will be confident to speak in public and even to your superiors by doing this. I was in shoes and I'm tackling my problem by doing wat I've stated. May God be with you

1 Like

Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Dereformer(m): 11:50am On Dec 21, 2016
derrick015:
practice practice and practice. practice by speaker on your own to yourself. you will notice the real confidence you will get by doing this.you will be confident to speak in public and even to your superiors by doing this. I was in shoes and I'm tackling my problem by do wat I've stated. May God be with you

Thank you so much sir.

I will do what you adviced.
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by amicable09(f): 1:44am On Dec 22, 2016
Teach! Teach! Teach!

Teach small groups.
Teach little children.
Start conversations with strangers.
Answer questions when in a group.
Practice recitals in front of a mirror.
Volunteer to be a team lead.

These are some of the things that may help you. It has helped many a people, you won't be different.

Try these and thank me when you speak in front of 5,000 people someday.

To improve your spoken English, read out loud to yourself more often and listen to orators.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by emmyojo22(m): 7:56am On Dec 22, 2016
Try to lay your hands on A one in English by Dele Ashade
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by nams77: 5:52pm On Dec 24, 2016
Start by talking to your self in front of a mirror. Then move to family members and circle of friends
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Dereformer(m): 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2016
nams77:
Start by talking to your self in front of a mirror. Then move to family members and circle of friends

thank you so much.
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Dereformer(m): 4:32pm On Dec 25, 2016
amicable09:
Teach! Teach! Teach!

Teach small groups.
Teach little children.
Start conversations with strangers.
Answer questions when in a group.
Practice recitals in front of a mirror.
Volunteer to be a team lead.

These are some of the things that may help you. It has helped many a people, you won't be different.

Try these and thank me when you speak in front of 5,000 people someday.

To improve your spoken English, read out loud to yourself more often and listen to orators.

Noted. thank you so.much.

1 Like

Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by nams77: 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2016
Dereformer:

thank you so much.
Welcome. I know this has been a big problem to many. Though I never encountered such problems. Like I said earlier, start from close friends and family. Ask them to assess your performance and tell you where to improve on. First thing you must know is that everyone experiences stage fright mostly at the beginning of any speech. You must know its Normal. Things to do... Always prepare yourself before hand. Prepare your scripts and rehearse in front of family members. Arrive at the venue on time and relax yourself. Don't rush in late as this will get u all tensed up, nervous and forgetful. Itemize your script and points in bullet forms..this keeps you coordinated and focused. Lastly an old trick, when presenting a speech as a beginner, look above the heads of people, but when you have become a master in the act, it is important to maintain eye contact with your audience as this connects them to you. For my I like making eye contacts because it helps me gauge the feelings and emotions of the people. It gives me vital feedbacks whether they are interested, tired or their interest is waning.I hope this helps
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by yeuch: 12:24pm On Dec 26, 2016
like the comment above mine the first step is good preparation of your presentation, you need to be confident in yourself before exuding it before your audience and as you said you are sometimes asked questions prepare yourself have that mindset tha LMt you can't fail any question asked you. when yo are called to present make the stage yours and ma lb weke the presentation yours (even though it might be a research work ) not "what i have come or told to present" ie to say you must be confident in your work first. maintain a calm mind, figure out what makes you nervous or tensed up it might be lateness, Hasty final arrangements/preparation, the presence of a mean superior etc try and resolve them. when asked questions be calm enough to listen, understand the question and what the person asking demand from you or an idea he/she is trying to establish so as to know how to answer rightly it all adds to your confidence while answering questions. look your audience in the eye and get their internal responses,thier emotions are meant to improve your presentation not affect it adversly.lastly clear up your mind of all emotions before or during presentation.NO EMOTIONS JUST BE PROFESSIONAL Good luck
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Scholasticus: 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
You are not alone! Got something for you!!
A full professional package of 'Public Speaking/Presentation, Persuation and Negotiation'.
Contents:
1. How to Prepare a Speach
2. How to Interest any Audience
3. Ice Breakers in Public Speaking
4. Public Speaking Mistakes
5. Public Speaking
6. Science of Self Confidence
7. The Business of Speaking
8. Persuation Basics
9. The Art and Science of Negotiation
10. Tranformational Vocabulary & Speach Writing
11. Vocal Variety & Body Language
12. How to Close a Speach
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by ztanleechima(m): 7:34pm On Apr 30, 2017
Always take the bible reading in your church.
Re: Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. by Dereformer(m): 7:58pm On Apr 30, 2017
Scholasticus:
You are not alone! Got something for you!!
A full professional package of 'Public Speaking/Presentation, Persuation and Negotiation'.
Contents:
1. How to Prepare a Speach
2. How to Interest any Audience
3. Ice Breakers in Public Speaking
4. Public Speaking Mistakes
5. Public Speaking
6. Science of Self Confidence
7. The Business of Speaking
8. Persuation Basics
9. The Art and Science of Negotiation
10. Tranformational Vocabulary & Speach Writing
11. Vocal Variety & Body Language
12. How to Close a Speach

So how do I get this?

(1) (Reply)

How To Check If Your National ID Card Is Ready Online / Help / What Should I Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.