Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items (19411 Views)

41 Items Still Banned Under Nigeria-china Currency Swap Deal / Bundles Of Money On The Road In Owerri As They Fall Out Of A Bullion Van / Import Ban On 41 Items Remains In Force – CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Adesiji77: 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2016
It is quite embarrassing that the finance ministry and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) are at loggerheads over the management of the foreign exchange market. It started when finance minister, Kemi Adeosun, in Nigeria’s fiscal roadmap for 2017, disclosed plans to ditch a 16-month old policy which prohibits importers of a list of 41 items from obtaining dollars at the official market.

The dollar embargo on these 41 items which range from steel sheets, palm oil and textiles to toothpicks, was introduced by the CBN in August 2015 to curb imports and ease the pressure on dollar demand. The policy came about as the country’s stock of foreign currency thinned due to a decline in dollar inflow which was brought on by militant attacks on oil pipelines and decade-low oil prices. Petrodollars account for 95 percent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange earnings, necessitating the need for dollar-demand management to preserve scarce dollars.

Godwin Emefiele told reporters in September that the dollar embargo on the blacklisted 41 items, which sought to manage dollar demand, was helping to reduce importation and drive appetite for locally made goods. True, there has been a decline in imports this year. The naira depreciation and fuel subsidy removal must take some credit for the decline.

In dollar terms, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) noted that imports fell 12.5 percent to $7.53 billion (N2.41 trillion) in the first nine months of 2016, from $8.61 billion (N1.68 trillion) in the same period of 2015. Imports are currently at their lowest in at least 4 years, according to CBN data.

Meanwhile, appetite for locally made goods has been rising, and a clear indication is the dramatic jump in sales for indigenous palm-oil companies, Okomu and Presco, which can thank the dollar restriction and a naira devaluation for making them more competitive against their foreign counterparts.

The CBN may be pleased with the outcome of its dollar restriction policy, but finance minister Adeosun is having none of it; and rightly so. While the dollar restriction policy has been a boon for the likes of Okomu and Presco, it has stifled growth for other indigenous manufacturing companies and has thrown the entire sector into a recession. Maybe one tree cannot make a forest after all.

Frank Jacobs, chairman of the Manufacturing Association of Nigeria (MAN) said about 16 of the total items on the list are critical raw materials for intermediate goods produced in the country. Jacobs added that the dollar embargo led to the fold-up of about 272 manufacturing companies, unable to sustain production due to exorbitant dollar costs at the parallel market.

So when Adeosun noted in the 2017 fiscal road-map that administrative measures on the list of 41 items will be replaced with fiscal measures, it became all too confusing.

It became even more confusing after Adeosun told reporters on Tuesday, December 21, that the CBN will try to eliminate the spread between the official and black market exchange rate, without stating how.

The naira exchanged at N305 for one US dollar at the interbank market on Wednesday, December 21, while the parallel market recorded N490/$. Taking the spread between both markets to N185/$. Maybe the finance minister had the dollar embargo suspension in mind when she said this.

By law, the CBN ought to seek approval from Adeosun to make decisions on foreign exchange and it was because the ex-banker was not appointed till November 2015, that the dollar embargo policy of August was not subjected to her approval.

It is believed that the disparity between the official market exchange rate and that of the parallel market is fuelled by the blacklisted items, whose importers have turned to an alternative market to meet their dollar needs. It is riding the official market of dollar liquidity and undermining efforts to put Nigeria’s dollar crisis to bed, although the CBN’s price manipulation is the biggest elephant in the room.

Increasing the tariff on the importation of these 41 items has often been put forward as a fiscal measure to curtail imports, but maybe the naira depreciation should be trusted enough to discourage appetite for imported items rather than imposing any form of regulation. Beyond dollar-demand management, Nigeria must do more to boost the dollar supply side of the FX market.

Nigeria can learn from Egypt, which has allowed its currency, the Egyptian pound, to weaken, going on to attract about $5 billion within one week. The largest economy in North Africa secured $2 billion in financing from international banks, and $2.75 billion first-tranche IMF loan worth $12 billion. The Egyptian pound (EGP) went from the second most expensive currency in emerging markets to the third weakest, crashing 62.5 percent to 13/$ from 8/$ after officials floated the local currency.

The float had become necessary to put a lid on an unofficial exchange rate growing in leaps and bounds, touching a record high of 18/$1 in October, and gave a life-line to Egyptian businesses hard pressed by acute dollar shortages. The black market has since disappeared as the weak pound, which traded at 19.2/$ as at Wednesday, December 21, snuffs out arbitrage opportunities.

Nigeria attracted commendations when on June 20, it allowed the naira weaken against the dollar. However, it has since rolled back on the policy. The immediate implication of a float may be dire but it has proven a better option than a hard peg in the long term like in Russia and Kazakhstan.

The economic recovery in Russia and Kazakhstan now contrasts with the continuing slump in Nigeria, suggesting both Russia and Kazakhstan were right to let their currencies move in line with the oil price back in 2014. The currency peg in Nigeria is a deterrent to foreign investors, which the former must attract to rejig its bleak economy.

An expansionary N7.2 trillion budget for 2017, which comes to a paltry 6.7 percent, is no solution to growth in Africa’s most populous nation. Our budget to GDP ratio compares poorly with South-Africa’s 20.7 percent.

The finance ministry and the CBN must sheathe their swords and agree on policies needed to take the country’s economy, headed for its first full year contraction in 25 years, out of the rot it is stuck in.
http://www.businessdayonline.com/finance-minister-cbn-fall-blacklisted-41-items/ lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by jamesharryson(m): 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2016
Does that save us from recession?..

FTC joor

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by onatisi(m): 6:17am On Dec 24, 2016
This cbn governor is very unlucky to have buhari and his cabinet members as his superiors.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by aleshsenior2000(m): 6:22am On Dec 24, 2016
onatisi:
This cbn governor is very unlucky to have buhari and his cabinet members as his superiors.
Confused set of people.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Addicted2Women: 6:49am On Dec 25, 2016

I pray they continue to have confusion among themselves

I pray that Buhari will rule Nigeria for 100 years

Amen

9 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by slapacha: 6:49am On Dec 25, 2016
F
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by lonelydora: 6:50am On Dec 25, 2016
APC sometimes act "Fuji House of commotion" for Nigerians.

Merry Christmas to all our Nairalanders.

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by brunofarad(m): 6:50am On Dec 25, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by MykLANNY(m): 6:51am On Dec 25, 2016
That's a 9ce christmas gift

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Martinola(m): 6:52am On Dec 25, 2016
yeye pipul in sensitive possitions

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by iykedare(m): 6:53am On Dec 25, 2016
Ee
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by lonelydora: 6:53am On Dec 25, 2016
Addicted2Women:

I pray they continue to have confusion among themselves

I pray that Buhari will rule Nigeria for 100 years

Amen

Na me and you go suffer am pass oooo

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by dingbang(m): 6:54am On Dec 25, 2016
Can they both be sacked?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by fiizznation: 6:54am On Dec 25, 2016
I don't understand what buhari is still doing with that incompetent CBN governor. I don't just get it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Lincoln275(m): 6:55am On Dec 25, 2016
hmmmmmm
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Atiku2019: 6:55am On Dec 25, 2016
Merry Christmas to All Nairalanders....

2 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by jkaro(m): 6:55am On Dec 25, 2016
WHAT?
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Ayoswit(f): 6:56am On Dec 25, 2016
k
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Addicted2Women: 6:57am On Dec 25, 2016
lonelydora:

Na me and you go suffer am pass oooo

What if i live in a different country ??

12 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Fabulosdave01: 6:57am On Dec 25, 2016
I blame buhari and Jonathan. The youths are not ready to secure their future. They are hailing these useless politicians. I even heard they want to do welcome party for one. Shameless lots.

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by jgbemson1: 6:58am On Dec 25, 2016
brb i want to take my bath and prepare for first sunday service ,when am back i will comment
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Nutase: 6:59am On Dec 25, 2016
angry cry
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by kingsamosy(m): 7:00am On Dec 25, 2016
this clearly shows that 2017 will not be rossy as bubu said, if his cabinet member is busy fighting each other.

4 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by kettle84(m): 7:01am On Dec 25, 2016
fiizznation:
I don't understand what buhari is still doing with that incompetent CBN governor. I don't just get it
Buhari is the incompetent one.

28 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by sakalisis(m): 7:01am On Dec 25, 2016
Ok
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by Eazybay(m): 7:01am On Dec 25, 2016
fiizznation:

Ah its Xmas na, so try to think carefully b4 u talk. From d article the governor deserves no blame sef, also buhari approved d ban and u hailed him seizing same opportunity to bash d prev admin 4 alcohol induced policies.

Merry xmas

7 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by yinkus204(m): 7:01am On Dec 25, 2016
fiizznation:
buhari only leave the cbn governor just to please the ibo if not he would have kick him back to abia where he came from the cbn guy is a slowpoke

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by AroOkigbo(m): 7:01am On Dec 25, 2016
President: confused
Minister: confused
CBN governor: Confused

Only God can save this a.s.s.hole of a country under a NEPA bill abi certificate holder.

17 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by StOla: 7:02am On Dec 25, 2016
Since the current embargo has resulted to a collapse of local industries who need to access imported raw materials, the new order by the minister should be practised so we see its own result.

2 Likes

Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by TopOne1: 7:03am On Dec 25, 2016
I don't think these guys know the masses are suffering sha. Yeye economists.
Re: Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items by gratiaeo(m): 7:04am On Dec 25, 2016
Confusion will be their portion, they want to kill us but they will die before us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INFERNO - Nigerian Breweries Lagos Is ON FIRE / All Nigerian Banks Should Emulate Islamic Jaiz Bank Policies – Emir Of Gwandu / Where Do I Buy MTN Branded Kiosk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.