Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) (511 Views)

One Of Us Polluted The Air - Kenyan Lawmaker To Speaker, As Fart Suspends Debate / Fatuma Gedi Beaten By Rashid Kassim (Kenyan Lawmakers) / Kenyan Politician Confesses To Spending $500,000 On Witchcraft To Win Elections! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by AjayiWrites: 11:18am On Dec 24, 2016
Hundreds of Kenyan girls are preparing to spend Christmas in schools, rather than with their families, fearing that their parents will force them to undergo female genital mutilation (FGM).

Schools that should have closed more than a month ago for the holidays are staying open for the girls, while others are staying in churches in north-western Pokot County.Alice Jebet, 14, says there are financial, as well as cultural reasons, why so many parents support the practice:

"My parents force us to undergo FGM because they want dowry. When girls are circumcised, their parents have already arranged for them to be married off.

"When they finish the initiation, their parents introduce them to their husband, whose family gives them cows as dowry," she tells the BBC.

Despite the introduction of stiff penalties for offenders after FGM was made illegal in 2011, the practice continues in many parts of Kenya.

Girls are most at risk during the December holidays, traditionally a time for initiation rites for both boys and girls.

Source:
http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2016/12/kenyan-girls-hide-in-schools-to-escape.html

Lalasticlala

Re: Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by prospero5(m): 11:28am On Dec 24, 2016
during my NYSC days i can't forget the day Tolani my landlady's daughter, ran to me for help when she was about to be mutilated on.

my heart goes out to all these little girls.
Re: Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by AjayiWrites: 11:29am On Dec 24, 2016
Together, lets fight against FGM...

Lalasticlala, pls

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Girls Hide In Schools To Escape Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 24, 2016
cool
Very courageous young girls. They are risking becoming outcasts in their community for doing that.

(1) (Reply)

ECOWAS Will Take All Necessary Actions In Gambia, Says UN Envoy / Before ECOMOG Intervention In Gambia: Let's Count Our Losses / Gambian Vice President Resigns …. As Nigeria, Senegal Deploy Troops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.