Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

Nigerian Education Is Low-Level - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Education Is Low-Level (980 Views)

Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture) / Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / Low Level Of Infrastructure In FUTO (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Education Is Low-Level by kobe(m): 9:53am On Jan 11, 2007
or is it excellent?
This Choice of Topic as a Discussion may offend some, if not many individuals

Can Nigerian students compete with students around the world(emphasis on U.S. & U.K.).

I'll break it down further: Can I expect similar levels of proficiency/intelligence from an Engineering student out of The University of Ibadan that I do from an Engineering student out of The University of California Los Angeles.
or am I making comparisons between oil & milk, or apples & oranges. "Ain't no point trying to mix?"
Re: Nigerian Education Is Low-Level by kobe(m): 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2007
Nobody willing to argue as a proponent of the Ngrn student?
Re: Nigerian Education Is Low-Level by ladykay(f): 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2007
You know that Nigerian students are disadvantaged becos of inadequate/obsolete equipment, and lecturers who are not so supportive and up-to-date. But when it comes to I.Q, Nigerian stdudents are a match for their counterparts in the U.S or UK. Many Nigerians who have travelled abroad have distinguished themselves - and i mean very well - in their studies (given a level playing ground). I have a friend in England currently doing his PhD. He is in his twenties. He had his first degree in Unilag (Elect/Elect Engr - 2.1) and travelled abroad for his masters. he resumed over one month late (his faculty told him they doubted his ability to make it), but he surprised them and made the best result. Needless to say, he finished with a 1st Class. Now he is doing his PhD in another uni and also lectures undergrads. He is not an isolated case you know.
Re: Nigerian Education Is Low-Level by kobe(m): 5:53am On Jan 15, 2007
I enjoyed reading your well-rounded response and I agree with you whole-heartedly.  The statement about IQ is flawless.

This
You know that Nigerian students are disadvantaged because of inadequate/obsolete equipment, and lecturers who are not so supportive and up-to-date.
answered my question.

I almost always debate this subject with my colleagues but they're right after all.  I still nonetheless refuse to accept the bastardization of my nation as belonging to the '3rd world'

I agree with you that the shortage in available resource does put the Nigerian student at a disadvantage thus the
Western student who is exposed to a wealth of resource and is able to benefit from what's at his/her disposal - comes out ahead.

(1) (Reply)

Toefl Exam In Abuja / Ufo's / Ur Worst N Memorable Xperience In Secondary Sch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.