Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,618 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Deism, "-there Must Be Something" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deism, "-there Must Be Something" (3084 Views)

The Failure Of Christian Deism / Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist / From Christianity To Deism: My New Journey Has Just Started (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by QuietHammer(m): 11:47am On Dec 27, 2016
The deistic God is so poorly defined, it id untestable, unfalsifiable. It is a 'nothing '.

What possible justification could you have for believing that "oh, there is something, but I don't know what it is". Aren't you at that point claiming to detect the undetectable?

I hope deism goes beyond "well, I just can't believe that there is nothing, so there must be something ".
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 11:50am On Dec 27, 2016
A rather illogical position I must say.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by QuietHammer(m): 12:11pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Yea. But a lot of irreligious people would rather prefer theists to be deists.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
explain why you think so.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 1:27pm On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

explain why you think so.
How do they know that whoever or whatever made the Universe is non-interventionist.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2016
Your thread is not going to get any serious comment from Deists.... because unlike Christians and Muslims, most of us (Deists) do NOT feel the urgent need to defend our belief in a Creator.... you are better of creating a thread criticizing Theists.

QuietHammer:
The deistic God is so poorly defined, it id untestable, unfalsifiable. It is a 'nothing '.

What possible justification could you have for believing that "oh, there is something, but I don't know what it is". Aren't you at that point claiming to detect the undetectable?

I hope deism goes beyond "well, I just can't believe that there is nothing, so there must be something ".

6 Likes

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 2:45pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How do they know that whoever or whatever made the Universe is non-interventionist.

does he/she/it also intervene for animals in need?'

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by QuietHammer(m): 2:48pm On Dec 27, 2016
NubiLove:
Your thread is not going to get any serious comment from Deists.... because unlike Christians and Muslims, most of us (Deists) do NOT feel the urgent need to defend our belief in a Creator.... you are better of creating a thread criticizing Theists.

You are proving my point
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2016
Deism provides no answers but further speculations.

It isn't a position backed up with facts either. It fails the same test of provision proofs as other theistical arguments.

Is see nothing wrong in admitting that we do not know anything yet.

WE DONT KNOW!

If there must be an intelligent Designer, is our reality the only universe?
There could also be zillions of parallel reality with their designers. The Designers may also need a supreme designer too who in turn needs a designer.
Where do we end this speculations?
Our mind can keep trying to make sense of the universe no doubt. But until we are certain of our claims, we can make up reasons for the existence of an intelligent Designer. None would count as knowledge.

WE SINCERELY DON'T KNOW!

I'm good with this.

Our self-consciousness is our greatest burden. I've learnt to live with that.

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 2:50pm On Dec 27, 2016
Lol. Maybe, maybe not. You wouldn't know if there was an intervention of behalf of an animal now would you?
MrMontella:

does he/she/it asoo intervene for animals in need?'
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Lol. Maybe, maybe not. You wouldn't know if there was an intervention of behalf of an animal now would you?
lets take starvation..
Animals in the wild starve...

it would boil down to the problem of evil..
And no ''general'' case...and lack of consistency..of this ''intervention''

I used animals..to avoid your ''conditioning'' input
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
good question my bro, good question

I'm a physicist,so am gonna use a branch of physics to explain this

god is bound by laws of quantum mechanics. why have I said this?
virtually all science students have heard and read bout the uncertainty principle, it happens that there is no amount of prayer one can pray, or amount of ritual one can offer that will make god alter the uncertainty principle. everytime you perform the experiment, it will always agree with theory.

lemme come down a little bit..... according to Newton's first law, it states that "a body will continue to be in it state of rest or under uniform motion until an external force acts on it". it also happens that ritual or prayer can alter this laws.

I can go on and on..

Einstein in relativity said " the laws of physics is a constant " , Galileo said same thing.

that's why most physicist are deist (not talking bout Nigerian physicist oo)

the creator is a noninterventionist

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:20pm On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

lets take starvation..
Animals in the wild starve...

it would boil down to the problem of evil..
And no ''general'' case...and lack of consistency..of this ''intervention''

I used animals..to avoid your ''conditioning'' input
Even if there isn't any clear proof of ''animal intervention'', it still doesn't show conclusively that there is no intervention. [s]Maybe animals are not as important in the grand scheme of things[/s]
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 3:20pm On Dec 27, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

It isn't a position backed up with facts either. It fails the same test of provision proofs as other theistical arguments.

WE DONT KNOW!

There could also be zillions of parallel reality with their designers. The Designers may also need a supreme designer too who in turn needs a designer.
Our mind can keep trying to make sense of the universe no doubt. But until we are certain of our claims, we can make up reasons for the existence of an intelligent Designer. None would count as knowledge.

WE SINCERELY DON'T KNOW!

I'm good with this.

lol..

it's is good to say we don't know(that's been humble)

I like the fact that you made mention of other worlds. don't you think that if there are other worlds, why would a god choose to care so much more bout this one(earth), hence our position "a noninterventionist"

we think that there must be a god cos something must have triggered the big bang. there are so much scientific explanation behind the position of a rational deist(I can start typing everything as my hand is hurting me already)
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

WE DONT KNOW!

WE SINCERELY DON'T KNOW!

I'm good with this.

Exactly. There is no limit to speculation.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:24pm On Dec 27, 2016
Such an intervention does not necessarily have to break the laws of physics.
niyihawking:

good question my bro, good question

I'm a physicist,so am gonna use a branch of physics to explain this

god is bound by laws of quantum mechanics. why have I said this?
virtually all science students have heard and read bout the uncertainty principle, it happens that there is no amount of prayer one can pray, or amount of ritual one can offer that will make god alter the uncertainty principle. everytime you perform the experiment, it will always agree with theory.

lemme come down a little bit..... according to Newton's first law, it states that "a body will continue to be in it state of rest or under uniform motion until an external force acts on it". it also happens that ritual or prayer can alter this laws.

I can go on and on..

Einstein in relativity said " the laws of physics is a constant " , Galileo said same thing.

that's why most physicist are deist (not talking bout Nigerian physicist oo)

the creator is a noninterventionist
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Such an intervention does not necessarily have to break the laws of physics.
lol.....

the laws of physics applies to every faucet of our reality, scientist use physical laws to interpret nature

if god cannot break does laws, what laws are then left for it to break?, None, none my bro
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Even if there isn't any clear proof of ''animal intervention'', it still doesn't show conclusively that there is no intervention.
how do you even rate an event for it to be an ''intervention'' ...

What i'm saying is that...the so-called ''interventions'' are not...but a part of the chain of life...

[s]Maybe animals are not as important in the grand scheme of things[/s]
lol...human ego!
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Exactly. There is no limit to speculation.
i thought you believed in a creator?
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

how do you even rate an event for it to be an ''intervention'' ...

What i'm saying is that...the so-called ''interventions'' are not... but a part of the chain of life

lol...human ego!
Exactly my point. The atheist position is more logical than than the Deist one. It's either you say there is a God or there isn't. Saying that there is a God who doesn't interfere is like wanting to ''eat your cake and have it''.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

i thought you believed in a creator?
I do. An interventionist one. This is just an academic discussion.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by MrMontella(m): 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Exactly my point. The atheist position is more logical than than the Deist one. It's either you say there is a God or there isn't. Saying that there is a God who doesn't interfere is like wanting to ''eat your cake and have it''.
a creator..would be more appropriate...if the term ''God'' is a problem...

Put aside human ego...and give me a reason why the creator would interfere(miracle) at your point of death..and not interfere at the point of death of a lion cub.

There's no law that says a being must look after what it created...

Even parents do leave their little children alone at home...in duplexes and storey buildings..even though the child can fall..

And how do you rate an event for it to be a divine intervention..

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 3:52pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I would have agreed with you if you had said that "the agnostic position is more logical than that of the deist"

the atheist position is just as extreme as that of the deist.

I(deist) say there is God
atheist say their is no God

as if we know for sure...lolz

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2016
niyihawking:

I would have agreed with you if you had said that "the agnostic position is more logical than that of the deist"

the atheist position is just as extreme as that of the deist.

I(deist) say there is God
atheist say their is no God

as if we know for sure...lolz
An agnostic declares his ignorance. Every other person claims a measure of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by QuietHammer(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

WE DONT KNOW!

WE SINCERELY DON'T KNOW!

I'm good with this.

Succinct. Do you like the tag atheist or agnostic?
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

a creator..would be more appropriate...if the term ''God'' is a problem...

Put aside human ego...and give me a reason why the creator would interfere(miracle) at your point of death..and not interfere at the point of death of a lion cub.

There's no law that says a being must look after what it created...

Even parents do leave their little children alone at home...in duplexes and storey buildings..even though the child can fall..

And how do you rate an event for it to be a divine intervention..
I don't believe our minds are equipped to fathom the reasons behind the Creator's interference or lack of it in various scenarios. We can only hope for such interventions when we require them.
Something that would ordinarily not be expected to happen. Those things doubters like to call 'coincidence'.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
An agnostic declares his ignorance. Every other person claims a measure of knowledge.
ignorance is what we can truly declare as no one can claim to have absolute knowledge bout the subject .

I am not trying to side with the agnostic, but the atheist position does not make much sense.
why? because they(atheist) fail to tell us the cause of the big bang.

1 Like

Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by niyihawking(m): 4:08pm On Dec 27, 2016
@Ranchhoddas
what belief do you hold?
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by notjonbellion(m): 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

WE DONT KNOW!

WE SINCERELY DON'T KNOW!

I'm good with this.

this is why I'm cool with agnosticism cool
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 4:18pm On Dec 27, 2016
niyihawking:

ignorance is what we can truly declare as no one can claim to have absolute knowledge bout the subject .

I am not trying to side with the agnostic, but the atheist position does not make much sense.
why? because they(atheist) fail to tell us the cause of the big bang.
The atheist position is one of logic mixed with a great deal of courage. I admire it. The big bang could have been spontaneous; unless you have DEFINITIVE CONTRARY evidence.
The agnostic position is one of cowardice, a reluctance to pick for fear of being wrong. It's usually transitive, as people tend to move on from it.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by Ranchhoddas: 4:25pm On Dec 27, 2016
niyihawking:
@Ranchhoddas

what belief do you hold?
I believe in an interventionist causeless cause. I also believe in Jesus Christ and the power in His name.
Freethought is my methodology.
Re: Deism, "-there Must Be Something" by ScepticalPyrrho: 4:27pm On Dec 27, 2016
QuietHammer:

Succinct. Do you like the tag atheist or agnostic?
notjonbellion:
this is why I'm cool with agnosticism cool
Yea, agnosticism best describes my position.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Thunder, The Trumpet, and The Trump of God / What Is The Difference Between Signs And Wonders? / Catholic Statues And Images

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.