Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (17059 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / I Need Good Used Japanese Car. / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by mrofficial(m): 8:27pm On Nov 19, 2009
yenks:

there is nothing like a brand new car. nigerians really shock me, the same cars that they are saying that they are tokumbo and that are better than a brand new cars, are the same cars that when they were brand new nigerians called the cars plastic and claimed they were not strong eg eod 2004, camry 2003. now six yrs after they are now saying that they are better than new cars. 6 yrs later they will say that 2009 kia cerato is better than 2015 honda civic.

pls nigerians there is nothing like a new car. a brand new kia picanto is far better an EOD 2005 fairly used car.

how can u say that '28 yr old prostitute is sweeter than an 18 yr old virgin'

Yenks, is that your boob in da profile? Hot! shocked
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by swezenberg(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
Akinlabi,

You mean you deleted all the mechanics' number. You wicked o. You are a real car owner. My brother also advised me like parents would advise their children never to experience what he went through with Toks. I waited two years to buy my brand new.

Accident is real select wisely.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
akinalabi:

Siena, I respect every word you utter about cars but this is no technical matter. I dont need a car that can last for donkey years. I need a car that can serve me with peace of mind for a few years.

That's where the technical aspect comes in.

yenks:

how can u say that '28 yr old prostitute is sweeter than an 18 yr old virgin'

Different analogy - a 28-year-old prostitute doesn't burn fuel to run, and thereby generate lots of heat. I'm  not just speaking from personal experience, I'm speaking from the point of view of one that's worked on cars almost all of my working life.

swezenberg:

Pls if you have used a kia Rio before and this is not true you can prove me wrong. A kia rio does not use half its 40-litre tank to travel through and fro Lagos-Ibadan. It uses less than 20 litre on a day with less traffic. Pls if you have not tried this try it today. I have given lots of doubting Thomases a ride to prove this. Watch Kia's advert lots of emphasis are laid on the fuel economy and effeciency.

A car is only as economical as the driver using it. Besides, there's more than economy to this debate, if economy were all we're after, we'd be running 1,0 litre cars with manual transmission.  wink
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by drharry: 8:41pm On Nov 19, 2009
SwaggaCob:

***God provide a good car for me so that i can join in such discussions come next year *** Can I hear u say Amen ?

AMEN O! I join you for that prayer.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by airzzee(m): 8:58pm On Nov 19, 2009
aktunde:

I have no reason to tell lies here. I have used Tokunbo cars before and I currently drive a brand new Kia Cerato. Except if you just want to "feel among" those using big cars, a brand new KIA Cerato is far better than any Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2004 and below. Depending on the Millage, the physical condition of the car and the car history, a Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2005 and above might even be more expensive than a brand new Kia cerato. If I am to pay equal price for a brand new Kia Cerato and Honda/Toyota of 2004 and below, I would always go for the New Kia Cerato.

I used to condemn KIA products too. But I later knew I was wrong. I have been driving one KIA Cerato for the past three months. Honestly, there is a far cry between a new and used vehicle. If you think that three months is too short to determine the reliability or durability of the car, well its your own opinion. But honestly, I have an Uncle who had been driving his own from LAGOS to ABUJA for about for the 4th year now. If his 2004 model can serve him this long, I expect more from the 2009 because it has been improved a lot. He makes this trip every week. If you see the milage, you would open your mouth. Yet the car is still running smooth.

If you can find out, most of those condemning KIA has never used it before. Not all, but some are talking from what they always hear from people. Often times, most mechanics would discourage you because they are not familiar with it. You should also not expect any Tokunbo dealer to tell you that Kia is good. Telling you that, means he is personally running his own business down. You can only get an unbiased advice from those who have used brand new Kia and the popular tokunbo cars on the street. I have used Tokunbo and a new car, so I know what it means. The exterior is great, but you you can never compare the interior with Honda baby boy 2000 model or Camry 2000. The interior is of low quality and has less "effizy"compared to those ones. Better still, if you want to be free from Auto-mechanics, rewires, AC technicians for the next 3-5 years, please go for the brand new Kia Cerato.

Goodluck.

aktunde, TNX. YOU DON'T NEED TO SAY MUCH. I USED A HYUNDAI. IT IS SWEET. GOING TO TWO YEARS NOW.

THE THAT TALKED ABOUT PEUGEOT 206 THAT CRUMBLED ABOUT 6 MONTHS. I DONT KNOW, BUT WHO KNOWS WHETHER IT IS REFURBISHED. PEUGEOT IN ANY CASE IS NOT A CAR TO WATCH THESE DAYS; IT HAS LOST ITS GLORY.

NOTHING PASS BRAND NEW. EVEN A KIA PICANTO WILL SURPRISE YOU.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by burgy(m): 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2009
well my take is that whatever car you are buying whether brand new or toks it boils down to large extent on how u use the car, i have seen people using 2008 honda accord and it loks like 1988 model , also at poster do not in the name of wanting to buy a new car stress your finances, ( the car can be accidented/stolen anytime, even if insured ), so if your finances carry it then why not if it dosent go for the toks, after all you probably just use it to work and park it and drive it back home, either way both will yserve ou well, (as long as you get a good toks)

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Connoisseur(m): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2009
Hey thanks people for ur opinions and suggestions. U guys re cool. I'd stick with the cerato (i really wanna avoid mechanics for a long time).
Also thanks to Seun for letting this make front page.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by omoakutupa: 9:43pm On Nov 19, 2009
MAY GOD HIMSELF DRIVE OUT POVERTY FROM OUR LAND. Poverty has psychologically tuned our minds to TOKUNBO. Everything must be Tokunbo, from slippers to vehicles. If you give me new car, whether plastic or fibre, I think I will prefer it to any Tokunbo.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by OMG190: 11:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
faints~
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 11:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ siena,

From experience using fairly used cars and new cars, my peace of mind have come from using new cars. No technicalities here. Just my driving experience in Nigeria.

swezenberg:

Pls if you have used a kia Rio before and this is not true you can prove me wrong. A kia rio does not use half its 40-litre tank to travel through and fro Lagos-Ibadan.

I have travelled Lagos to Ibadan with a RIO over 50 times. I use half tank to and fro.

swezenberg:

Akinlabi,
You mean you deleted all the mechanics' number. You wicked o. You are a real car owner.

I deleted the last number when I got rid of my last fairly used car. Those mechanics are a nightmare.

Connoisseur:

Hey thanks people for your opinions and suggestions. U guys re cool. I'd stick with the cerato (i really wanna avoid mechanics for a long time).

In Nigeria, if you want to avoid mechanics (for at least 3 years), avoid used cars. Get a new one.

Even new Bajaj boxer okada better  grin
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by katimba: 1:24am On Nov 20, 2009
Can someone also compare 03,05 murano to kia cerato, in terms of availabilty of spares, and maintainance and durability and the comfort.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by aktunde(m): 3:04am On Nov 20, 2009
@ Katimba

Can someone also compare 03,05 murano to kia cerato, in terms of availabilty of spares, and maintainance and durability and the comfort.

AVAILABILITY OF PARTS, KIA is better. Except if you have accident, that leads to the damage of body accessories, you might not need to buy any mechanical part for the next three years. Since it has three years warranty, you might not need to pay for the part. Once the warranty expires, I'm sure you can easily get the part from the dealers.

MAINTENANCE: Well, I can't really say here because the one I drive is just three months old. The only money spent is on petrol which is normal for every car. less than 40 litres from Osun to lagos (to and fro). I have not gauged the tire since it was bought, I don't remember topping the water. Not that I am careless, but I see no need for it. It might be because its still 3 moths old. but my uncle who had been using it since four years ago said the major money he can remember to have spent on it is on fuel. The first servicing if Free, the second around N3700and the third the same.This is how far I have gone with servicing. I do not know of Murano because I have never used or driven it before.

DURABILITY: I expect Murano to be more durable. Though, my uncle has been traveling from lagos to Abuja every week with his cerato for about 4 years now. I expect Murano to do better.

COMFORT: Murano of course! You can't even compare the comfort you would get in Honda baby boy 2000 with Kia Cerato 2009. It's just that every thing in Kia 2009 is new. If the interior and total comfort provided in KIA cerato can be improved to as much as that of honda baby boy and not to talk of EOD and above, I bet Kia cerato would be sold more than double if not ripple the price its been sold now.

I think to sell KIA cheaper, they concentrate on beautiful exterior, good engine but low quality interior. The interior is beautiful but the materials used are cheap. You know there are lots of China phones that are more beautiful than the one actually imitated. But despite the beauty, it could be of low quality. that is what I am saying about the interior here. But generally, a car with beautiful body, nice engine and average interior would still move. But a car with flashy body, flashy interior but bad engine would Bleep you up .

The choice is yours!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by mamagee3(f): 3:29am On Nov 20, 2009
I prefer Kia Cerato. wink
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by dplus(m): 4:36am On Nov 20, 2009
But to be frank with you KIA products are Stress free for a while (i have a friend in the office using it) but after some time maybe (a yr or 2) you start experiencing the toks version on it. The reason for this is that the quality of products used for the KIA cars can only be realiable for some period.

Consider the follwing before making choice, ask people and find out from experts

1. Comparing the price of a  new  cerato ( N2.6m) with a toks car of the same amount honestly, a toks will be better than the new KIA in every sense (interior , performance, maintenance e.t.c).

2. KIA products goes for regular service , how many of toks do people service regularly like KIA Cars?

3. KIA products are service from only KIA service centers , how may toks do people service from authorised centers?

4. Check out the second hand Value for KIA and same toks in same category?

5. How many KIA Products / Toks do you see on our Highway when Travelling?

6. How often do you use your cars (For Office and Ocassion only or Travelling) . Check out the Buses people use for travelling can you travel in a KIA/Futo Bus or Toyota Hiace Bus (Toks).

7. How long do u plan buying another car and what will be the second hand value of the car you are using by then?

My Advice is that you ask yourself this questions before making your decision?

Tear Rubber is good but be very careful in making decision.

Thanks
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by san26dy(f): 5:41am On Nov 20, 2009
a 10 year old toyota camry is better than kia any day anytime. Even on the best US roads, KIA doesn't last more more than 10years. But you can put in up to 200-250k on a camry. Camry is still one one the best cars.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by lawyerchap(m): 7:31am On Nov 20, 2009
If i had to choose between a brand new picanto and any tokunboh, i'd pick the picanto every day of the week and twice on sunday. Had a golfIII GTI but when it started to give me problems, i sold it and got a brand new Elantra. There are no words to describe the difference between a brand new car and a tokunbo. Anyone who advocates a used car over a new one simply has not driven a brand new car in his life.  Cannot remember the last time i had to speak to a mechanic and i've been using the car for more than a year. The rio i got my mum three years ago is still in showroom shape despite being flogged from Asaba to benin and back evey week for three years.

@Poster,
A brand new car, apart from being infinitely more reliable than any used car actually makes people take you more seriously. Buy that sexy cerato dude.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Yoighaman(m): 8:36am On Nov 20, 2009
I prefer a gorgeous-looking 28 yrs old damsel to a Uxgxly 18 yrs old virgin anyday anytime.

Just kidding grin; how on earth would someone compare a brand new car to a fairly used one?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by GTay(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2009
Kudos to you guys, I've learnt a thing or two from your discussions
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Libido(m): 9:51am On Nov 20, 2009
smiley
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nezan(m): 10:02am On Nov 20, 2009
Siena said it all . . . stick with the used Japanese . . . I dont trust KIA.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by mygladness: 10:51am On Nov 20, 2009
For your peace of mind and comfort, go for the brand new car.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 20, 2009
For your peace of mind and comfort, go for a used but proven Japanese car. cheesy
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by omamokta: 11:20am On Nov 20, 2009
Hi, i will always go for Japanese cars whether used or new anytime, anyday, fortunately i ve used a brand new Kia Optima and the service it rendered wasnt satisfactory, i travel a lot by road and am one that cares much about my car, before i could use this car up to a year six months, i ve changed the shock absorbers, the brake pads and even the clutch plate under two years. Right now am using a tokunbo camry 2000 model, it has made my journey very easy, i ve used it for two years now apart from servicing it, i ve not done anything serious on the car and whenever i want to change the car, the second hand value will still be there. I doubt if korean cars have second hand value.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by F16: 11:25am On Nov 20, 2009
@Post - U should be better informed by now. Forget all the myths, there is nothing like a brand new car.
The likes of AkinAlabi have given you words of wisdom.

I just want to add a few lines for the purpose of education and re-education.
Kia and Hyundai are brand outputs from the same company - Hyundai Motor Company (HMC).
It will interest all to know that HMC's main production facility is the Ulsan Plant in South Korea. It is the world's largest automobile plant.
Given that it is a Korean brand, the company has production facilities in Alabama (US), Frankfurt (Germany) and different parts of Asia (China, Korea etc). The company also has R&grin (research and development) facilities in all these regions.

Ok. Enough advert for Hyundai and Kia (as dem are not paying me for it). What is the moral?

Asian cars manufacturers started with low end, cheap and less superior quality products to gain market share. They wisely leveraged on the knowledge gotten from big brand names that came to Asia to produce due to cheap and abundant labour. Today, these Asian firms are given the European firms a run for their money. They have worked on quality and standards. They have even become a threat to big brands in their own home country markets. (A side note - most of the Dell, HP etc laptop brandished around the globe are being produced in Asia via Joint Venture agreements).

Nairalanders, America and Europe have started coming to terms with the growth and potential for further growth of the Asian region. If you are a follower of world events, Mr. Obama, PUSA, recently visited China to strenghten bi-lateral ties. This is unheard of 10 years ago.

Sorry for the long and boring tales. Just felt I should share this to let the guy seeking for advice to see the change in dynamics. Asian cars are also good. If you can afford a brand new Kia Cerato please go for it. Mechanics will advise you otherwise because dem must chop. The mechos have refused to change. Modern cars have diagnostic facilities and all you have to do to fix it is plug in your tool and it will tell you the problem. These guys want to continue trial and error methods. They want to continue to work in a manner that they can tell you the car has 12 problems when all that is wrong is just a blown fuse. Guys, remember how they used to tell us about 10 years ago not to buy automatic transmission cars?

Please buy a brand new car. You do not intend to buy a car with the intention of using it for 15 years. Drive for 3 to 4 years without reciting psalm 23 before starting the engines.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by jpphilips(m): 11:43am On Nov 20, 2009
That's strange because warranties should normally cover ALL mechanical faults. I've activated a warranty before and even though the staff were making funny statements about paying some stuffs, I stood my ground and paid nothing.

[b]Well, i guess you activated that waranty on electronics or something else not really cars
the last time i checked, hyundai motors in Naija still charges about 5k plus for first servicing which includes; change of oil and filter
NB for a brand new car under warrant[/b]y
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by lexandra(f): 12:51pm On Nov 20, 2009
ok
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by jpphilips(m): 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2009
[b]all i can say is that kia cerato and Toyota camry are not mates in any ramification
i enjoyed the furore for a while but at a point, i got confused at the bone of contention,
is it about comparing the companies that made them or about the product or about the age?
i seem a little lost though i can try and force myself out of that imbroglio

at poster,

if i am not mistaken, is the cerato not the flag carrier for the Kia's 1.6l engines?
how come you are juxtaposing it with a camry? do a little research yourself
about Age, are you looking at the wears and tears accrued with time or are you looking at the economic side of it.

if a brand new kia cerato(1.6l) sells for >2m like someone said above,
and i know that a 2.4l camry of 2006 sells for almost same, common sense tells me to find out whether or not the camry has fault. if it doesn't
shikena!! i will definitely go for the camry
reason is because, the camry has more features,in terms of entertainment,comfort and safety which the cerato may not have
or you want to talk about space and number of passengers, or you want me to compromise 6cd changer for one because its brand new? powerful engine performance for a drag?
four air bags sometimes 6 for just 2? the count is endless

when i look at those korea cars and their plastic interiors i don't know what i think

i heard pple talk abt fuel efficiency, for christ sake, do u expect a 1.1l picanto to consume same with a 3.5l camry?

if u want to make good comparisons then fetch a toyota Echo and compare with the Kia Rio

the only point i want to make is that cars are graded in terms of their engine capacity and features,

about Age; a 2yr old camry made with steel will always be better than a brand new Kia made with Iron (not literary though, but a little knowledge of strength of materials will help)
another thing to consider is this

a 2.5m cerato of 2009 will worth what in 2011 case you want to sell it off?
and ask urself wot an 06/07 camry will worth come 2011

let me not remind you that an 11yr old camry still sells for btw 1.1m to 1.250m in the fairly used  market depending on the options and grade,

my Advice if you are brand new crazy;

buy a lower brand new toyota or honda, the likes of
Yaris,city,Avenza,Echo etc than aspiring for a 4.5m camry
you might be suprised the price difference wont be much with your dear cerato, also stay away from these south Africa brand news in Nigeria, they are as good as those korea junks

outside these

get your self a three or two years fairly used with good record and low mileage

the choice is yours

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by lawyerchap(m): 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2009
jp philips:

[b]Well, i guess you activated that waranty on electronics or something else not really cars
the last time i checked, hyundai motors in Naija still charges about 5k plus for first servicing which includes; change of oil and filter
NB for a brand new car under warrant[/b]y

Dude,
Warranties cover faulty parts, not parts that have reached the end of their natural life-span by fair wear and tear. Servicing your car as and when due is what keeps your warranty active. A warranty covers parts that the manufacturer can guarantee should not become faulty within the duration of the warranty. Changing your oil filter is done not because it is faulty but because it has used up its natural lifespan (as decided by the manufacturers) and so cannot be covered by warranty. If i get you correctly, you're saying that servicing your car should be covered by the warranty? Dude!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ilosiwaju: 1:54pm On Nov 20, 2009
i think many opinions on korean cars are based on hearsays and this fanaticism for japanese cars cos we knew them first. if you will choose on facts and experience, a brand new car is always better than any type/grade of tokunbo. i advise u guys drive some of these kia or hyundai cars, u'll be amazed.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by jpphilips(m): 2:20pm On Nov 20, 2009
If i get you correctly, you're saying that servicing your car should be covered by the warranty? Dude!

yes,
something like that, i am glad you got my point though your reference abinitio is quite noted,

if you have parts in your vehicle that i must change say every two or three months(or after covering a said mileage)
how then do you expect me to beat my chest and say my CAR has a warranty cover,
i quite understand that these car manufacturers are businessmen but sometimes their modus operand i are over flogged by consumers

common sense tells me that if you cant make an oil filter that can stand 5,000 miles, it is unlikely that you can make Air filter that can stand 10yrs
then if my warranty covers air filter for 1yr, i expect same for oil filter.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Gifo(m): 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
Connoisseur:

Hey thanks people for your opinions and suggestions. U guys re cool. I'd stick with the cerato (i really wanna avoid mechanics for a long time).
Also thanks to Seun for letting this make front page.

I was just waiting for this your wise decision! You wont regret it. Every 'expert' can write whatever he/she pleases; but I assure you, here in Nigeria you've made the right choice. So here's to your peace of mind. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Builds Light Aircraft In Bayelsa / Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? / Can You Drive On Nigerian Roads Without Scratches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.