Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (17089 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / I Need Good Used Japanese Car. / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by anthoi(m): 10:42am On Mar 05, 2010
uncle,thanks for ur advice
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by chelseabmw(m): 9:23pm On Sep 04, 2010
me,i will always stick with toyota. . .24/7
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by steamslide(m): 12:11am On Nov 06, 2010
Hey I have the same wahala - deciding wether to buy a brand new kia or used japanese

After going through the various opinions, I am left more undecided.

I have the option of

1. buying a brand new kia optimaor
2, a used toyota highlander 02/03 or
3, a Nissan pathfinder 03/04

Pls factor in the wahala of VERY bad roads in Benin city.

(The main reason am considering a used japanese "jeep" over kia brand new is the issue of bad roads)

Is this reason good enough?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by wowgoldfirm: 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2011
u have heard this a billion times but i would like to no the most unresolved approximate to
overcome 5000 gold in WoW ive tryed the dailes and agriculture but i pretension exhume
what to farm-toun and i dribble outa dailes so if any 1 can refrain from me like reprove me
what i should for the sake 5000g?!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by learned0007: 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hi Guys,

I deliberately resuscitated this post even though it is over 3 years old.

This is because part of the reasons some people supported a new KIA Cerato over Toks Japanese cars is that over time Kia would improve a lot in standard and quality and would be able to compete better with Japanese cars year for year.

This is 2014 and according to carsforsale.com in the US, see average prices for these 2014 cars

Kia Cerato (Forte) 2014 is about $18,500,
Hyundai Elantra 2014 is about 19,500,
Toyota Corolla 2014 is about $19,500.
Honda Civic 2014 is about $20,500

Based on this, I wouldn't call a Kia Cerato or Hyundai Elantra cheap Korean cars anymore as they are all in the same range.

The question now is
1. Has the quality of Kia really improved such that in terms of price it is in the same range with Japanese cars
2. Shouldn't we start changing our perception of Kia cars as being very cheap and unreliable thereby having very low 2nd hand resale value?

In essence, if we should answer the OPs question now in 2014, would we all still give the same responses we gave in 2009 when the thread was opened.

Over to you guys, kindly make your comments.

cc - Connoisseur, Siena, chelseabmw, jpphilips, ambyzown, akinalabi, GAZZUZZ ,BlueDiva etc

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by adanny01(m): 1:59am On Sep 11, 2014
Even though the price is catching up rwally fast, i cant say the same of their quality.

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by learned0007: 1:17am On Sep 15, 2014
adanny01: Even though the price is catching up rwally fast, i cant say the same of their quality.

I quite agree with you, although if you look at reviews on cars websites in the US & on youtube, experts are really beginning to appreciate quality of Korean cars. Hopefully, in a couple of years, the reliability difference would be very thin.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by zik4ever: 1:02pm On Oct 06, 2014
People, what about Nissan cars like those sold by Stallion Motors e.g. Qashqai, Sentra etc? Are these ones Japanese? Korean? American? European? Or even African as in made in South Africa? What I mean is we know Toyota and Honda are Japanese whilst Hyundai and Kia are Korean but what of Nissan? Please share. Thanks.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by fsb(m): 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
Okay, so I have used my Kia since July and so far, its been a major relief. My old mechanics still call me regularly to "greet me" as their customer no dey visit their shop again. Choi, new moto gud abeg.

Truth is that we all know that a 2010 honda accord for example is a more superior car than lets say a 2014 kia rio, but tokunbo is what it is. They are never problem free and its only a question of when the problems would begin.

Summary, if you want to look like a big man on the road, buy the latest tokunbo but if you want your money to bring you peace of mind, go for a new car.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by zik4ever: 2:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
Good day all,
I have picked interest in Nissan products especially the Qashqai +2. Nissan motors in Nigeria are currently being sold by Stallion Nissan Nigeria Ltd. Now, I wish to know if the Nissan cars they sell are directly made in/imported from Japan, Europe or Nissan South Africa? I would imagine a direct Japanese production would be of higher quality/spec or grade? Would also appreciate any comment on these Nissan brand new cars especially the Qashqai relative to say its equivalent among the Koreans or all these South African Toyotas/Hondas.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by daVinci1(m): 8:09pm On Oct 22, 2014
Folks, some of these brand new Korean cars are sometimes not as economical in maintenance as the tokunbo version of their Japanese counterparts. My 2009 Kia Cerato is having issues as I write this and I'm spending more than I expected. My A/C condenser is damaged and it weakened the compressor. It's a manual (and I love me some manual anyday). But the master cylinder of the brake, I was told by mechanics, is bad causing the brake pedal to hit the floor any time I step on it for up to a minute.

Can anyone help me get an affordable replacement parts and service? I live in Aba. Thanks in advance.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by zik4ever: 10:51am On Oct 23, 2014
zik4ever:
Good day all,
I have picked interest in Nissan products especially the Qashqai +2. Nissan motors in Nigeria are currently being sold by Stallion Nissan Nigeria Ltd. Now, I wish to know if the Nissan cars they sell are directly made in/imported from Japan, Europe or Nissan South Africa? I would imagine a direct Japanese production would be of higher quality/spec or grade? Would also appreciate any comment on these Nissan brand new cars especially the Qashqai relative to say its equivalent among the Koreans or all these South African Toyotas/Hondas.

Any feedback on this please?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Becalm(m): 12:52pm On Oct 30, 2014
My two year old used toyota corolla visited the mechanic less than my friends brand new Hyundai elentra. He spent 5x more on total repair cost. Though he went to dealers while I used road side. After 7 yrs the corolla is still strong and ready to do additional 3yrs problem free but the Elantra has started crying for a change.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ekoboy: 12:04pm On Nov 02, 2014
My brother generally should be the case and not just one experience. Guess you are very lucky with your purchase and your neighbour very unlucky. By the way a two year old car is still generally new. Most of.the parts haven't started spoiling. I bought an elantra and for like 4 years (even with the bad roads in my area) all I did was regular maintenance. The car is in it 6th now and she is finally costing me some money now. Around the same period I bought a 3 ur old pathfinder and she has really stressed me from word go. So for me a new car(hyundai) anyday. By the way my colleagues that bought old accord and Camry(they were same price)when I bought my elantra all changed their cars after 2-3yrs later because of the problems.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Export1: 2:32pm On Nov 05, 2014
Hi guys! It might be interesting about Nissan Qashqai !

The Nissan Qashqai is the hatchback that thinks it's an SUV. That could have been a recipe for disaster, but Nissan's engineers have pulled out all the stops to ensure this car represents the very best of breed.
Nissan stole a march on its rivals with the original Qashqai – the class now includes the Peugeot 3008, Kia Sportage and Skoda Yeti – so it's learned many valuable lessons on the way. This goes a long way to explaining why the current Qashqai is so good.
It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes the Qashqai so good, because it excels in almost every area. There's a choice of 1.5-litre and 1.6-litre diesel engines as well as a 1.2-litre petrol. Despite its tiny capacity, the 1.2 does a good job around town, but the diesels are much better on the open road. We’d recommend the 1.5-litre diesel to most buyers thanks to its ability to return more than 70mpg, plus its 99g/lm CO2 emissions mean you won’t be paying any road tax.
If you want extra performance, four-wheel drive or an automatic gearbox, the 1.6-litre diesel is an excellent choice, too. However, the running costs do increase slightly compared to the smaller engine.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Connoisseur(m): 6:44am On Nov 07, 2014
learned0007:
Hi Guys,

I deliberately resuscitated this post even though it is over 3 years old.

This is because part of the reasons some people supported a new KIA Cerato over Toks Japanese cars is that over time Kia would improve a lot in standard and quality and would be able to compete better with Japanese cars year for year.

This is 2014 and according to carsforsale.com in the US, see average prices for these 2014 cars

Kia Cerato (Forte) 2014 is about $18,500,
Hyundai Elantra 2014 is about 19,500,
Toyota Corolla 2014 is about $19,500.
Honda Civic 2014 is about $20,500

Based on this, I wouldn't call a Kia Cerato or Hyundai Elantra cheap Korean cars anymore as they are all in the same range.

The question now is
1. Has the quality of Kia really improved such that in terms of price it is in the same range with Japanese cars
2. Shouldn't we start changing our perception of Kia cars as being very cheap and unreliable thereby having very low 2nd hand resale value?

In essence, if we should answer the OPs question now in 2014, would we all still give the same responses we gave in 2009 when the thread was opened.

Over to you guys, kindly make your comments.

cc - Connoisseur, Siena, chelseabmw, jpphilips, ambyzown, akinalabi, GAZZUZZ ,BlueDiva etc

It's been light years since this thread. Can't believe I have spent this much time on nairaland.com.

As per your observations, thank God I didn't go for the Kia Cerrato back then. Reason is, there is no '09 Cerrato that still looks as clean as their Japanese counterparts over the years.
I got me bank then a 2006 Toyota Avalon (limited edition) and it still drives and looks like new.
Even though the price of the Kia Rio is in the same range as the Toyota Corolla, I don't think it's same in terms of quality and resale value.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by AdemolaA2: 2:05pm On Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the Op that created this thread ..I am on the verge of paying for a Kia Rio (2014) Model today , even though it’s Nigerian used with a mileage of about 68,000km .aesthetically , the car is clean but I am still skeptical about purchasing this vehicle .. on the other hand , I got another deal at about the same price with a Toyota Corola 2010 Model ( Made in South Africa) with a mileage of about 200,000 .

I am so confused as to which to go for between the two vehicles .
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Adedolapo1: 10:26pm On Oct 23, 2017
CC: Gazzuzz
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Adedolapo1: 10:26pm On Oct 23, 2017
AdemolaA2:
Thanks for the Op that created this thread ..I am on the verge of paying for a Kia Rio (2014) Model today , even though it’s Nigerian used with a mileage of about 68,000km .aesthetically , the car is clean but I am still skeptical about purchasing this vehicle .. on the other hand , I got another deal at about the same price with a Toyota Corola 2010 Model ( Made in South Africa) with a mileage of about 200,000 .

CC: Gazzuzz
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Connoisseur(m): 11:12pm On Oct 23, 2017
AdemolaA2:

Buy a corolla but not one with over 200k miles on the clock. If not for any other reason, buy for the resale value
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:20pm On Oct 23, 2017
AdemolaA2:

kia a/c compressor, steering rack, steering column failure.

Corrola SA catches fire from ABS control module.

Personally both cars are horible.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by AdemolaA2: 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

kia a/c compressor, steering rack, steering column failure.

Corrola SA catches fire from ABS control module.

Personally both cars are horible.
Thanks for your contribution .. really appreciate !!!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Manuella4ace: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
op, brand new is brand new. the only thing I can say is maintenance is the key. go for grand i10 sedan, accent, Elantra, Rio, creator.
or go for a first grade tokunbo Corolla 2007

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? / My Bicycle Restoration Project / How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.