Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Authors Are Dead When Their Books Published - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Authors Are Dead When Their Books Published (398 Views)

Is It That Authors Are No Longer Interested In Children's Literature?? / Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Authors Are Dead When Their Books Published by PENMIND(m): 8:02am On Dec 28, 2016
No work of arts is new. A creative writer is that person who writes popular letters in a strange way. The purpose of creative writing is to both entertain and share human experience, like love or loss. Writers attempt to get at a truth about humanity through poetics and storytelling. If you'd like to try your hand at creative writing, just keep in mind that whether you are trying to express a feeling or a thought, the first step is to use your imagination.

Types of creative writing include: Poetry Plays Movie and television scripts Fiction (novels, novellas, and short stories) Songs, Speeches Memoirs Personal essay. When a book is written and published for intellectual consumption, the moment one can refer to it as a book, that moment, the death of the author has been announced. It may not be in form of a book. It may be in any form. Whether a written or spoken text. When the death of the author is announced, immediately, a reader is born.

A French literary thinker argues that Barthes argues against the method of reading and criticism that relies on aspects of the author's identity—their political views, historical context, religion, ethnicity, psychology, or other biographical or personal attributes—to distill meaning from the author's work. In this type of criticism, the experiences and biases of the author serve as a
definitive "explanation" of the text. For Barthes, this method of reading may be apparently tidy and convenient but is actually sloppy and flawed: "To give a text an Author" and assign a single, corresponding interpretation to it "is to impose a limit on that text". Readers must thus separate a literary work from its creator in order to liberate the text from interpretive tyranny (a notion similar to Erich Auerbach's discussion of narrative tyranny in Biblical parables). [1] Each piece of writing contains multiple layers and meanings.

Then I started to think that the author is important and their contributions do matter for a number of reasons. For instance, knowing more about the author can help readers better understand the themes of the story or what the author would convey. And for me when our class found on a little bit more on Johnny I thought that his narration (although unreliable at times) was all the more interesting. Ultimately, I feel that as long as the
readers are able to gain something from reader the story, then it does not matter whether or not the author is present. Barthes stated that, “Once the author is removed, the claim to decipher becomes quite futile.” However, I believe that at this point the claim to decipher a text is at its greatest because there are endless interpretations the readers could create. “A text lies not in its origin but its destination”

READ MORE : http://penmind..com.ng/2016/12/authors-are-dead-when-their-books.html

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Enchanted / 30 Days Of Poetry Season 3, Day 13 "Food For Thought" Pix Inside / Listen To Me Dear. (A Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.