Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,092 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament (1753 Views)

Daddy Freeze: Proverbs, Psalms Not Written By Christians, Not Good For Doctrine / Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 6:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hello

As usual, I hate long posts, so let's just go straight to the point.

Lol, maybe from the title most of you theists are already like "old things are passed away", But wait, is that true? am going to expose few of the many double standards by Christians here..

[size=20pt] Old things [/size]

Killing Unbelievers( Deuteronomy : 17)

Taking it out of context again! That was the olden days.. Old testament! Ignore it.

Killing deflowered(non Virgins) ladies (Deut.22: 13)

Why do you Atheists not understand the Bible? It's the old testament dude.

Keep Slaves (Exod: 21)

You don't understand the Bible, do you? Out of context.

Kill a child who hits his father (Exod. 21)

Old testament!

Kill believers of other religions (Exodus: 22)

Christianity is love , that is the old testament.

OK...

[size=20px] BUT wait.. [/size]

Collect Tithes (Leviticus : 27)

Yes, it's the old testament, but don't question it, pay your tithes!

Kill / Hate Homosexuals (Lev. 20:13)

According to anas09, homosexuals are disgusting, scums of the earth, kill them, God did not create Adam and Steve.

Unbelievers are fools (psalm 14: 1-3)

We don't care, it's the law of God! Unbelievers are fools.

I could go on and on, but that will make the post longer..

Now who are Christians to choose (Cherry pick) which laws to follow and which not to?

KingEbukasBlog, 4evergod, naijadeyhia

Notjonbellion, hopefulLandlord, hahn, HardMirror, randomperson

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 7:42pm On Dec 28, 2016
There are other religion that started with old testament which Christianity is not part of.

Christianity centers more on Jesus Christ and thus the name. "Christ-like"
Christianity came during the AD
Reason why we have old testament BC and new testament. AD
New testament ushers us into new way of life based on grace which Jesus Christ is the chief pioneer.

The greatest law that was introduced during this time is faith and Love.

The old testament was preserved to teach the Christians about certain aspects of life one is bound to encounter in his sojourn on earth.

You might also like

For printing our articles please copy the web page by highlighting the text first - then click copy in the browser- paste the article into a word program on your computer. When the text is transferred into word, click to save or print.

Are we(Christians) to keep the Old Testament law?
The law was never given to the New Testament believer but the Old Testament believer. It was a standard they were to live by. It was given for the reason- to increase sin and show us that we are sinful.
The law is given to increase sin to show our sinfulness. Rom. 5:20: “Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound.” Gal 3:19: “What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made.”
In other words when Christ (the seed) was born there would be an and to the law.
Gal. 3:23-25: “But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our tutor (to lead us) to Christ, that we may be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. " NO MORE (Old Testament) LAW. V. 26 “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” Everything in the New Testament covenant is by faith, not law.
Rom.11:6 “And if by grace then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. but if it is by works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work." It is either one or the other it can't be both, these are two different covenants.If you choose to be under one then you are removed from the other.
Rom. 6:14-15 “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law, but under grace.”
How can the law be used to prevent sin, to not let sin have mastery over you? It can’t. When people today insist that we must keep the laws of the Old Testament covenant they are removing themselves from the covenant of grace and are not under the headship of Christ but are under Moses. The New Testament makes it clear in Jn.1:17: “The Law came through Moses.” GRACE and TRUTH came through Jesus Christ.
Paul made it clear through his writings "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain." (Gal 2:21). Gal 2:19: "For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.” in other words, Paul is saying the law is dead to him. We don't use what is dead to have life.
Those who had been under the law ( the Jewish people) had been delivered from it to something far better and so has the church.
Rom. 7:6: “But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.”
The Christian who seeks to keep the law to be justified or sanctified has fallen from grace (Gal 5:4).
Acts 2:42 states that the early Church followed not Old Testament rules but “the Apostles’ doctrine.”
The law of God, God’s laws, Moses commandments, God’s commandments are the same laws united under the old covenant. The law," "the law of the Lord," and "the law of Moses," are the same (they include circumcision, priesthood and sacrifices) see-Luke 2:22, 23, 24, 27; 2 Chron.31:3. ("The law," "the law of Moses," "the, book of the law," "'the law of God," are the same- Neh. 8:2, 3, 8, 14, 18.)
When God speaks about the law he does not divide the ceremonial from the moral, it is all one unit. Jews today continue to keep them as one unit identifying them as 613 laws (not 10).
Here is what needs to be answered- did Jesus fulfill only the ceremonial law of Moses only or all of it? All these commands (613) were the law, these are not just Moses ordinances. They were all nailed to the cross and whatever was nailed there died with Christ. The Old Testament law is no longer operational for the believer. Whatever the apostles taught to the church were those commands to keep as a New Testament believer.
The Old Covenant of Moses is the primary focus of the Old Testament but it is not the initial covenant with Israel- the one with Abraham was and the Mosaic covenant fulfills a number of its promises. The New Covenant becomes the primary focus of the New Testament and is the last covenant of the Bible because it reveals the grace of God through Jesus Christ to all mankind. It becomes the only way both Jews and Gentiles are restored to God.
The Judaizers who believed and kept the law by obligation came in to bring the believers back into bondage. In Acts 15:10 the early church rule on this matter of the law. “Now therefore, why put God to the test, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear”. The law of Moses is not binding for the gentiles is made clear in Acts 15.
The Bible says the just shall live by faith, not the law or commandments of the Old Testament.
Paul a former law keeper states “the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (Gal 2:20)
Rom 8:3-6 “For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” It is the Spirit inside the believer that we are to obey to walk according to Jesus.
1 Cor. 15:57 “the strength of sin is the law.” But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Gal 2:16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.”
The New Testament focus and exalts Christ not the law. So what is the law for today? Paul tells us “that the law is good if one uses it lawfully” (Tim. 1:cool. So what is the law for today if it is still considered good?
Look at Paul’s interpretation in 1 Tim.1:9, that law is made NOT for good men but FOR law breakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious." Is this not the law that states all have fallen short of the glory of God? Good men would be those who repent and follow Christ, not the Old Testament laws.
So is a Christian under law? No, but there are commands we are to obey that are strictly found for the Church in the New Testament, so we are not without law, just not under the Old Covenant law.

http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp127.htm

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Anas09: 7:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:
Hello

Lol, maybe from the title most of you theists are already like "old things are passed away", But wait, is that true? am going to expose few of the many double standards by Christians here..

[size=20pt] Old things [/size]

Killing Unbelievers( Deuteronomy : 17)

Taking it out of context again! That was the olden days.. Old testament! Ignore it.

Killing deflowered(non Virgins) ladies (Deut.22: 13)

Why do you Atheists not understand the Bible? It's the old testament dude.

Keep Slaves (Exod: 21)

You don't understand the Bible, do you? Out of context.

Kill a child who hits his father (Exod. 21)

Old testament!

Kill believers of other religions (Exodus: 22)

OK...

Kill / Hate Homosexuals (Lev. 20:13)

According to anas09, homosexuals are disgusting, scums of the earth, kill them, God did not create Adam and Steve.

Unbelievers are fools (psalm 14: 1-3)

We don't care, it's the law of God! Unbelievers are fools.

I could go on and on, but that will make the post longer..

Now who are Christians to choose (Cherry pick) which laws to follow and which not to?

KingEbukasBlog, 4evergod, naijadeyhia

Notjonbellion, hopefulLandlord, hahn, HardMirror, randomperson

Worisdissss? I can't make any sense from your post.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Anas09:

Worisdissss? I can't make any sense from your post.
how would you when you lack sense?
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 8:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:
There are other religion that started with old testament which Christianity is not part of.

Christianity centers more on Jesus Christ and thus the name. "Christ-like"
Christianity came during the AD
Reason why we have old testament BC and new testament. AD
New testament ushers us into new way of life based on grace which Jesus Christ is the chief pioneer.

The greatest law that was introduced during this time is faith and Love.

The old testament was preserved to teach the Christians about certain aspects of life one is bound to encounter in his sojourn on earth.

You might also like

Why do you pay tithes?
Why do you hate gays?
I thought it wasn't meant for the "Christian religion as you said"
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2016

We have 10 commandments and Jesus laws to follow, why then do we have to follow all brutal laws of moses? Moses established the old testament laws to keep the laws (10 commandments) , Jesus laws didn't abolish all laws but kept few of them.

#myopinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

Why do you pay tithes?
Why do you hate gays?
I thought it wasn't meant for the "Christian religion as you said"

I think you miss this

So is a Christian under law? No, but there are commands we are to obey that are strictly found for the Church in the New Testament, so we are not without law, just not under the Old Covenant law.

Meanwhile any sexual immorality is a sin that one NA sure banka.. Gay is sexual immorality and is a SIN
As for tithe, you've got your answer in the quoted wink
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

We have 10 commandments and Jesus laws to follow, why then do we have to follow all brutal laws of moses? Moses established the old testament laws to keep the laws (10 commandments) , Jesus laws didn't abolish all laws but kept few of them.

#myopinion.

Isn't that cherry picking? Picking only the ones that are suitable for you
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 8:38pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

I think you miss this

Meanwhile any sexual immorality is a sin that one NA sure banka.. Gay is sexual immorality and is a SIN
As for tithe, you've got your answer in the quoted wink
So you feel that yes, the Bible condemns sexual sin, but this same Bible condemns pork, Mohawk hairstyles, why do you Christians choose to ignore that part of the Bible?
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 8:39pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

Isn't that cherry picking? Picking only the ones that are suitable for you

Ok see it this way, you commit a crime which is forgivable, and I insist on putting you to death. How's that? Is it worthy?

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 8:42pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

Ok see it this way, you commit a crime which is forgivable, and I insist on putting you to death. How's that? Is it worthy?

Who gave you the power to tweak the Bible? Are you not supposed to obey your god? grin
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 8:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

Who gave you the power to tweak the Bible? Are you not supposed to obey your god? grin

I remember I asked you a question. Answer mine then I'd answer yours.
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 9:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

So you feel that yes, the Bible condemns sexual sin, but this same Bible condemns pork, Mohawk hairstyles, why do you Christians choose to ignore that part of the Bible?

Am just trying so hard to get your point from the start but it really is not working. So lemme come clean. What's your point again?
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 9:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

Am just trying so hard to get your point from the start but it really is not working. So lemme come clean. What's your point again?

Seems his pointless. He just wants to practice what they teach them in mosques grin, that's how pointless their imams can be.

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 9:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

Seems his pointless. He just wants to practice what they teach them in mosques grin, that's how pointless their imams can be.

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Let it not be that am wasting my precious time.
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

Why do you cherry pick Bible verses? Why do you only choose verses that you like and ignore those you don't like?
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 9:33pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

I remember I asked you a question. Answer mine then I'd answer yours.
As far as you are following the rules of your lunatic friend, that shows your loyalty!
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 9:34pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

lol, for real, a Christian insulting Islam again! Ah, thought I won't see things like this anymore
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

Why do you cherry pick Bible verses? Why do you only choose verses that you like and ignore those you don't like?

Is that all your problem?
Well, why not start by telling me the ones that we do not like from the new testament?

Reminder : You need the Old Testament because it points us to Christ and instructs us in godly living, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Romans 15:4: “For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 9:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:
lol, for real, a Christian insulting Islam again! Ah, thought I won't see things like this anymore

Wait, anyone that insults Islam, is a Christian?
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

Wait, anyone that insults Islam, is a Christian?
of course not, looking at the poster and his post, you'd know he is a Christian
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Eastactivist: 9:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:
of course not, looking at the poster and his post, you'd know he is a Christian

LOL.. You need to see your doctor ASAP.
You really sounded so foolish

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 9:58pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:

grin I'm laughing. Carry your Sunni Islam mentality and zoom out of Nairaland. You guys have wrecked havoc all over the world with your nonsense you claim is the right part to eternity. What lunatic friend? Jesus? Nonsense, yet you claim you don't insult Jesus either you fighting with the Shia or you are insulting christians. Which islam isn't even better than.

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by peacesamuel94(m): 10:06pm On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=benzics post=52337195]Hello

Lol, maybe from the title most of you theists are already like "old things are passed away", But wait, is that true? am going to expose few of the many double standards by Christians

OK...

Hebrews 7:5
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 10:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

People like this jihadi are the people who has resorted never to give Islam a good name opening a thread to scribble nonsense when they haven't taken the log away from their eyes. What does he even know about Christianity? After his very stupid imams talk rubbish to him, he comes online to display his act of abject idiocy. Look at how backward their lives are. The problems here and there you have stirred up, shay e never do them abi? Come day talk nonsense about Christ, the same Christ mohammed and the other fellows of Islam copied from the bible.

If he obviously has nothing doing, he should go and make peace with his household, Go make peace with Shia, make peace with his God then come back here to talk. After copying 75% of the bible into your Quran to claim credibility, still kill christians and have guts to rant bullshit on forums, is he seriously sick or mad or what?

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

grin I'm laughing. Carry your Sunni Islam mentality and zoom out of Nairaland. You guys have wrecked havoc all over the world with your nonsense you claim is the right part to eternity. What lunatic friend? Jesus? Nonsense, yet you claim you don't insult Jesus either you fighting with the Shia or you are insulting christians. Which islam isn't even better than.

lol...

Christianity is pretty same with Islam, catholic disagreeing with protestants, Jehovah witness against redeem.. And so on, so who's going to make your heaven? Cuz you can't all make" heaven! " grin
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by benzics(m): 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

Heheh, is this another madness in disguise? Mk I kuku Carry my wahala and come and be going
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 10:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
benzics:
lol...

Christianity is pretty same with Islam, catholic disagreeing with protestants, Jehovah witness against redeem.. And so on, so who's going to make your heaven? Cuz you can't all make" heaven! " grin

I was an atheist for 2 years. Leaving Christianity. When I realised my way and came back, things hasn't been the same. So you are very pointless. Get away from this forums you son of Satan.

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=peacesamuel94 post=52342651][/quote]

Don't talk to this fool.
Why would an idiot come and insult Christianity in forums and you handling it with kid gloves. You want Christianity to die out? Well I don't, if this guy were close to me, God knows what I'd do to him by now, maybe he's Muslim, atheist whatever.

If he doesn't have salvation from God, let him buy it if he has to, if he's too dead to, he can go to hell.

It's time people stop insulting Christianity on this forum, what the Bleep is wrong with this people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by peacesamuel94(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
Whytelyon:

Don't talk to this fool.
Why would an idiot come and insult Christianity in forums and you handling it with kid gloves. You want Christianity to die out? Well I don't, if this guy were close to me, God knows what I'd do to him by now, maybe he's Muslim, atheist whatever.

If he doesn't have salvation from God, let him buy it if he has to, if he's too dead to, he can go to hell.

It's time people stop insulting Christianity on this forum, what the Bleep is wrong with this people.

My reply is not really because of him, it's because of the hidden viewers who might fall prey to this deceptive piece.
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Ubah29: 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hello I thought you are an atheist why bother with what Christians believe or do not believe. you are very insecure . But have u really read the bible? ............ no.
Christianity is more of an experience compared to religion. Read to understand first then u can now criticize thanks.

[/quote]
Re: Why Do Christians "Not Follow" The Old Testament by Whytelyon(m): 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
peacesamuel94:

My reply is not really because of him, it's because of the hidden viewers who might fall prey to this deceptive piece.

That's why I gave the reply I gave.

Christianity the idiot talks of that's at war with each other catholic against protestants etc. In the romantic catholic church of Present day they have the charismatics which are the pentecostal version of the Catholic Church, they have the anglican, they have methodist, they have Jewish christians and etc, when we pray inside the bus, and sing,do we sing with different voices? One madman who comes here talks so many rubbish he doesn't know. If he wants to know about Christianity, he should come to the church and see things for himself.

If Christianity was as demonic as he paints it, yet Shia muslims in Kaduna come to celebrate with us during xmas, and other religions, yet we are this barbaric, have a twisted gospel and what not..isnt this guy's very stupid. Must they come and say repeated rubbish about christians and you keep quiet. This is Christianity we are talking about here. Not some drunken religion. Our Lord and saviour Jesus is respected in all Abrahamaic religions, Islam is part of that religion is either they respect christians, Jesus or they can go to hell. Be it Islam or atheist or even buddha as well.

Don't be soft on these fellows. Idiots like these are bent on giving our Christianity a bad name. We not paying jizya, let me remind you and we run democracy and not sharia, he can wait when there is full blown sharia he can rant his rubbish as he pleases. I know where he's driving at,and I swear am gonna give them a hard time here as many as they choose to insult christians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who is the Vilest among these Characters / My Uncle Runs A Motherless Babies Home, But I Don't Like Its Operation / Photo Of Liquid Metal, Mrs Metal And Small Small Metals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.