Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,997 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions (17276 Views)

Man Denounces Christianity, Accepts Ijaw Deity Worship In Bayelsa(Pix) / Chris Oyakhilome: Churches Are Not Places Of Infection But Places Of Blessings / Lagos To Register Places Of Worship ‘To Ensure Sanity’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Blue3k2: 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2018
Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions - Bishop Kukah

The Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Kukah, has alleged marginalisation of Christian students in some tertiary institutions in northern Nigeria.

Speaking at a book launch organised by PREMIUM TIMES Books on Wednesday, Mr Kukah accused northern governors of aiding the alleged injustice.

“As I’m talking here now, whether it is Bayero University, Usman Dan Fodio University, most of the universities and tertiary institutions in northern Nigeria, Christians don’t have a place to worship after over 40 years of the existence of these universities and these are the areas where the intellectuals, those who are going to govern Nigeria, this is where they are.

“Up till today, as I’m talking to you, you can’t find a single governor in northern Nigeria that will effortlessly sign a certificate of occupancy for the building of a church. Nowhere,” Mr Kukah lamented.

The cleric said the academic and security environment in the country discourage having frank discussion on insecurity.

He accused Nigerian scholars of fuelling crisis by their views and teachings.

“Northern Nigeria is literally a closed book. And our inability to understand northern Nigeria collectively as a nation accounts for most of the crisis we still face in this country.

“We have a very serious crisis in our country. A crisis that relates to the fact that those who are in academia are simply miniature gods of ethnic hegemony. We can see from reactions, Boko Haram, politics in Nigeria, 2019 and others, when you listen to academicians, what we are saying are not different from what the people in our villages feel.

“We were barely six months or so into this crisis when I published an article titled ‘Bread, not bullet.’ I was trying to make the point that we needed a much more robust engagement based on our common humanity. We needed to hear the stories leading people to this kind of life rather than just turning this into a gun battle. Suddenly, few years later, we are shamelessly pretending that weapons for fighting have not been bought or money has been squandered.”

Mr Kukah said the orientation of northern children prepares them for violence against non-Muslims.

“I live in Sokoto and I have windows of my churches broken because young children are throwing stones at the cathedral. I had one of my parishioners went blind three years ago. His house was by the roadside. Children coming from Quranic studies threw stones to his house. I’m asking the question, what are these children being thought about the other person? This is a very serious crisis in northern Nigeria.

“These kids will grow up and I can’t stop them from burning my church because they have given them, their superiors have given them impression that somehow, not being a Muslim, you belong to a different specie.”

He urged Nigerians to come together to identity themselves first as humans and not religious adherents. He gave instances to buttress his point.

“The point I’m making is that people are behaving like I cannot be a non-Muslim and study Islam. We have a crisis at our hands. A cousin of mine who is a non-Muslim just came back from Egypt. His Arabic is most likely better than that of most people in Nigeria but, in the course of his programme, he was sent out on the ground that he’s doing too much of Arabic and truly he was digging much more than the people that are teaching.

“We used to have a professor who was a priest. In fact, many call him a Muslim because everything about him is Muslim but he ran into a problem in the University of Ibadan because Muslims are now saying, ‘can you be a priest and talk to us about Islam?’

“Really, one of the problems northern Nigeria must address is the limit of intellectual curiosity. These are some of the boundaries that Raufu crosses effortlessly.

“A cousin of mine, he’s dead now, living in Kano called me one day and said his little son just brought a beautiful result but had 85 per cent in Arabic. And he said to me, why will this boy have 85 per cent in Arabic? I asked what is the problem? He said no, he got 70 per cent in CRK, why will he go and have 85 per cent in Arabic? I said Arabic is a subject. He said no, he could become a Muslim tomorrow.”

Mr Kukah praised Raufu Mustapha, the editor of the two books unveiled, for his unrelenting hope in Nigeria while alive.

“I spent a good part of my evening at Raufu’s office and I would listen to him talk about Nigeria and I always marvelled at the depth of his scholarship,” he said.

“In a very strange kind of way, this ray of hope that he had in the horizon. Things were very bad but he always believed that there was a lot of hope.”

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/280422-christians-not-allowed-places-of-worship-in-some-northern-tertiary-institutions-bishop-kukah.html

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Agritech(m): 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2018
Also there are many Universities in the east and South south where there are no mosques for the Muslim students to pray. One of such is Michael Opara university of agricultural. In this universities lecture/exams hold during time for Muslim Friday prayers.

85 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Afamed: 6:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
Which of the Northern Federal institutions?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by dlondonbadboy: 6:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
Religion of peace!

They only preach peace when they are few in number or new to a territory. But when they are majority they kill any opposing religion and oppress innocent christans. This technique was learnt from Satan the devil...

If you give them a taste of their own medicine they would start crying...

Why I'm sharing this country with some set of people is something I can't quite understand...

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Blue3k2: 6:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
You should read and find out.

Afamed:
Which of the Northern Federal institutions?

10 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by dlondonbadboy: 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2018

Mr Kukah said the orientation of northern children prepares them for violence against non-Muslisms

It's in their religious book.

"Kill keferi(infidels) and cut off their heads". WTF.

Shouldn't this book be edited? In this age and time? Nawa o

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by ozo13(m): 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hmmm.I don't wanna believe ds cos ds same factors he is highlighting if same thing wr to be applied to Muslims in the southern(southsouth and southeastern) part of the country same thing are not in favour of the Muslims either.unless if am wrong by ds my assertion WC I can delete from my mind if someone is about to convince me with statistics

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Shelumiel: 7:17pm On Aug 16, 2018
I do not know why Muslims keep playing the victim when it come to issues like this. In southern and eastern Nigeria, freedom of worship is given to each and every person (so long as it is within the confines of the norms of the people living there ). But you cannot see that in Northern Nigeria . An example is Katsina: You will hardly , I repeat , hardly see a church in Katsina . In fact , most churches are located within the barracks of soldiers or policemen . This evil trend should stop if we are to call ourselves "one Nigeria ".

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by HajimeSaito(m): 7:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
Agritech:
Also there are many Universities in the east and South south where there are no mosques for the Muslim students to pray. One of such is Michael Opara university of agricultural. In this universities lecture/exams hold during time for Muslim Friday prayers.

The population of MUDSLIMES in Universities, and indeed in education at large, is quite small. Authorities usually take numerical strength into consideration when it comes to issues such as this. In any event I wonder why Christians would want to earn degrees from Universities that were set up to educate abokis whose mental capabilities are at the lower end of the cognitive scale.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by VillagePipu: 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
Agritech:

Michael Okpara University of Agricultural grin grin

You better go back to tending your cattle and don't bother going to school. Education is not for everyone.

We the village people are not the ones doing you o, it's the Devil personally on your matter.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by mujaya1(m): 11:13pm On Aug 16, 2018
what kukah want to achieve after building morethan 3000 church in sokoto metropolis, alot of missionary school, there is no morethan 20 mosqe in port h

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by MRAKBEE(m): 6:15am On Aug 17, 2018
Agritech:
How many minutes can a Muslim spend in the mosque on Friday?
I have been to some schools in the south south with almost all of them having religious centers for Muslims.
Dont come here and type bullshit

35 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 17, 2018
Why should a southern citizens study with illiterate terrorists?

7 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by agadez007(m): 6:59am On Aug 17, 2018
I just noticed something about Muslims especially the Yoruba's ones
Whenever they are being called out for their crimes they try to rope Ndigbo into their madness
First it was Boko Haram,they created a "Mama boko" from Enugu Who speaks perfect Onitsha and dosent even know her own local government
Then an " Igbo man" was caught dressed as a Fulani herdsmen,no picture evidence whatsoever
Now one idiomatic expression is calling Michael Okpara University here, pls you guys should run your own race and leave Igbos to run theirs biko

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by rhid1: 8:46am On Aug 17, 2018
Shelumiel:
I do know why Muslims keep playing victims when I come to issues like this. In southern and eastern Nigeria, freedom of worship is given to each and every person (so long as it is within the confines of the norms of the people living there ). But you cannot see that in Northern Nigeria . An example is Katsina: You will hardly , I repeat , hardly see a church in Katsina . In fact , most churches are located within the barracks of soldiers or policemen . This evil trend should stop if we are to call ourselves "one Nigeria ".

I don't know if you've ever been to or lived in Katsina. I got my degree there, even did my NYSC camping there. With all due respect, I can tell you this supposed assertion of yours is false. The number of Christian friends I have in Katsina who attends different churches within the metropolis are numerous. A statement such as this is not only false but divisive.
Even in my Alma mater, we have only one mosque but numerous churches pitch their tents everywhere even on school days.

Enjoy the rest of your day bro

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by WithX(m): 9:24am On Aug 17, 2018
dlondonbadboy:
Religion of peace!

They only preach peace when they are few in number or new to a territory. But when they are majority they kill any opposing religion and oppress innocent christans. This technique was learnt from Satan the devil...

Why I'm sharing this country with some set of people is something I can't quite understand...

I'm sure you must be an educated fellow you commented either out of ignorance or hatred. Have u ever called any of ur friends or relatives in those schools to confirm such assertion?
I knew the clergyman was on a mission the moment I saw Bayero University Kano on his list. Presently I am a student of the school and I can confirm to you that Christians in the school do not only have place of worship they have a voice.
They have a central fellowship ( which even have a hummer bus) and there are fellowship for denomination as well.
Pls always take a minute to verify any thing you ready before u post your comment

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Shelumiel: 10:53am On Aug 17, 2018
rhid1:

I don't know if you've ever been to or lived in Katsina. I got my degree there, even did my NYSC camping there. With all due respect, I can tell you this supposed assertion of yours is false. The number of Christian friends I have in Katsina who attends different churches within the metropolis are numerous. A statement such as this is not only false but divisive.
Even in my Alma mater, we have only one mosque but numerous churches pitch their tents everywhere even on school days.

You're just a pathetic liar . But since youre a muslim, lying (Taqiya) is second nature to you so I won't hold it against you . I have lived in northern Nigeria all my life, and katsina is my second home . There is a place called Tenkiya(I'm sure you know this place ) in Katsina , do you know that that place has no church except in the barracks? The churches in Katsina are basically within barracks limits ; none are dispersed within the town, this is a fact . The only other institution to have a church is The Federal university Dutsin-ma,because it is a federal university.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Fariq: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2018
Good development. Sameway Muslim are not allowed place of worship in some southern universities.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by ollah2: 12:30pm On Aug 17, 2018
Agritech:

Dont mind them. Hypocrisy, sentiment and bigotry runs in their blood. They want the world to be about them only while playing victim cards

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Elummah(m): 12:31pm On Aug 17, 2018
And there are universities in the south that don't even consider northerners (particularly Muslims) for admission.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Sirpaul(m): 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2018
tgif

3 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by ollah2: 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2018
WithX:

I'm sure you must be an educated fellow you commented either out of ignorance or hatred. Have u ever called any of ur friends or relatives in those schools to confirm such assertion?
I knew the clergyman was on a mission the moment I saw Bayero University Kano on his list. Presently I am a student of the school and I can confirm to you that Christians in the school do not only have place of worship they have a voice.
They have a central fellowship ( which even have a hummer bus) and there are fellowship for denomination as well.
Pls always take a minute to verify any thing you ready before u post your comment

The logic in Nairaland is, portray Islam or Muslims in a bad light and expect them to come in full ammos to attack anything and everything about the faith. The same people would never say a word when theirs are called on. The bigotry in the North is the same in the East but it's okay if they do so whilst it's wrong to be done in the North

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by dvee2: 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2018
I didn't hear your voice Rev Kukah when Muslims were denied place of worship in Rivers state University of Science and technology

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by henrixx(m): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2018
This is true

I schooled in the north and I experienced this. Christians are given lecture halls and sports pavillions to use for church with a time limit Despite there were many Christian professors in the school and despite the school had vast expanse of unused land. Even the Christian organisation applied for land but the university authority refused to approve it.

13 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by mdshell(m): 12:42pm On Aug 17, 2018
A FAT LIE!! Mention those universities!!!

Elummah:
And there are universities in the south that don't even consider northerners (particularly Muslims) for admission.

1 Like

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by KaptainAfrika: 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2018
....and he is suddenly realising this? before he was sent to the wilderness of Sokoto parish, when he was in the centre of power, how did he use his influence
Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by seyigiggle: 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2018
good morning sir, it's better late than never.
All the claims are true!!!
by the way, most of those commenting here are ignorant, and it will be a waste of time educating them.

1 Like

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by DavSagacity(m): 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2018
rhid1:

One of the matured replies to comments I've seen on this forum recently.
I like the way u responded to his comment.
Keep it up bro.

3 Likes

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by MrExcel(m): 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2018
WithX:

Do they have a Chapel ? Tell me about it
Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by adesina746: 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2018
dlondonbadboy:
Religion of peace!

Can you see urself, you are already getting a dose of what your religion started with and you are this bitter. Can you now see that the real problem we have in this country are christians

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by Corrinthians(m): 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
Agritech:
We Christians are just bent on making the world see us as victims.

When this happened in RSUST, not a word was heard on social media. No one cared. But once the favour is returned, the world goes gaga!

http://www.informationng.com/2012/02/injustice-reigns-in-rsust-as-management-razes-students-mosque-arrest-students.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions by funnix: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
Stupid Hippocrates! Everything must revolve around them. Muslims in the southeast/south never had the kind of freedom the Christians are having in the North. Different chapels and churches around. I wonder what the stupid bishop want to gain with his lies

15 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hot Nigeria Girls Twerks Videos / Another Gospel: The Benny Hinn Experience / 5 Spiritual Benefits Of Fasting Based On My Own Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.