Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector (17643 Views)

The Prize Of “Delivering Like The Hebrew Women”- Nigerian Health Blog / That Mouth Blister Is NOT Malaria But Herpes Labialis- Nigerian Health Blog / It's Time Nigerian Health Sector Adopts Euthanasia - Nigerian Lawyer Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by lookingfly: 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2017
Why do Nigerian doctors and nurses feel as if they're almighty.any small thing,they get threatened and feel some body is taking over there jobs and still yet when it comes to killing patient or forgetting scissors in patients stomach,it's their specialty.if you guys are already afraid of paramedics (which should be made up of doctors,nurses,pharmacist),how then would you guys cope with the veterinarians(master of all) in the one world health system?it's a shame and a pity that Nigerian doctors and nurses still fight for supremacy when what they should be thinking more about should be how to collectively join heads with other health practitioners in order to deliver quality health care service to patients.........pls grow up and stop d unnecessary abuses hmmmm.
seXytOhbAd:

You're quite silly. Did the holidays wipe your brain? The op wants a separate sector for paramedics and you're there asking stupid questions. BTW, no doctor, or certified nurse will want to work as a paramedic. Stop quoting me if you have stupid questions to ask.
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Mbediogu(m): 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
The write up was looking intelligent initially, till you brought up the NMA and her allies. That was where you started sounding myopic and quite silly. The paramedic health sector has not been fully established and you are already becoming polarized. Anyway, I'd like to ask you some questions. What is the guarantee that someday, the paramedic or emergency health workers won't go on strike when needed the most? Who is responsible for the initial training, regulation and discipline of paramedical workers? Because if they are to relieve SOME of the physician work load, and all medical doctors are expected to be able to do ALL emergency health protocols, what is the guarantee that we will not hear silly headlines later on about paramedics acting as doctors? There is a reason why there are A&E (Casualty) doctors. This is because no matter how advanced your life support training is, a paramedic CANNOT replace a doctor. If you don't believe, when on a flight, you hear the call for a doctor, stand up as a paramedic and watch your pride get dashed. I am not castigating or demeaning any profession, and I believe In teamwork, but doctors often get bashed for caring too much about patient health safety in Naija.
There is a reason why our health sector has not been diverse enough to create new jobs, and that is not because of the NMA. It is simply because our leaders are too busy spending 600M on Christmas lighting and such spending cannot sustain growth. Couple that with our bad roads, traffic holdups, and bad guys who may want to help you people "hold" the van in rough neighborhoods, you start to see why it is not working. Nice write up though.

The paramedics advocate talked about training patients. Does he honestly understand the reasons and parameters used for sorting triage? Or he just wants to impress the readers. He was almost touching aspects of core professional medicine which is to say that when the chips are down, the will impersonate doctors without having the requisite training and experience. I know a nurse anaesthetist who is doing all sorts of surgery and killing people daily.
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by nelszx: 9:01pm On Jan 02, 2017
zhyzhy:
How does the laboratory scientist that takes and analyses body samples [s]under the direction and supervision of a doctor[/s] come into this issue biko nu?

OP you've done well by talking of the need of para medics but bringing in the lab science man into this play is a no no!

How does the laboratory scientist that takes and analyses body samples [s]under the direction and supervision of a doctor[/s] come into this issue biko nu?

OP you've done well by talking of the need of para medics but bringing in the lab science man into this play is a no no!

Besides I don't understand this issue of fight over superiority. Who is fighting who abeg?

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 9:06pm On Jan 02, 2017
Mbediogu:

The paramedics advocate talked about training patients. Does he honestly understand the reasons and parameters used for sorting triage? Or he just wants to impress the readers. He was almost touching aspects of core professional medicine which is to say that when the chips are down, the will impersonate doctors without having the requisite training and experience. I know a nurse anaesthetist who is doing all sorts of surgery and killing people daily.

Do nt misinterpret post with sentiments. Ensure u read before commenting. The aim of this tread is not to. Bring down any profession but rather. To. Enlighten Nigerians about the PARAMEDICS. And a core missing link in the nigerian health sector and people shouldn't employ those who are nt the ideal staffs. For what involves the life of some one. Noting more
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2017
[quote author=nelszx post=52474996][/quote]

I did write dis article base on findings and nt. What I think or guess. I wrote it with respect for every profession and nt. To. Decline any profession. I wil give u a clear. Example. Have u even wonder. Who on earth are those who claim to work as a paramedic in the cricks. @ d air lines. Make enquires very well ask questions. I can beat my chest they are nt paramedics and yet u see them working as one. Like wise other professions.I would give u anoda example that will make u rember. Its still in this country. Jst last year a. So called judge was nt even a judge has been parading him self as a judge only for them to discover. Just last year dat. He wasn't. I will go on and on and. We won't stop but the whole conclusion is no body wants any profession to go down d drain we all want our profession to go. Higher and higher the only way forward is team work. U play ur part I play mine. A paramedic can't do d work of a doctor d ethics are clearly stated. Likewise a nurse or a lab scientist.... Please before you coment ensure u read. This thanks and God bless you #advocacy_for_the paramedic
#paramedic_and_me
#prevention_medicine
#called_to_save_lives
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by PhoenixReal: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2017
seXytOhbAd:

Another idiot who rushes into an argument without reading and processing.

Thanks for showing how stupid you are. I see that you can't do without insult. Keep it up son!
As for the site, it was built by youth like you. They are ready to make a difference and stand for what is rightly theirs. If you can, give them your support.
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Abbeylincson(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
I think this matter should be moved to where it will gain more public attention. I mean maybe we can move to twitter hand of FGB, house of assembly so that they can see it. that's my recommendation
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
Can't we just stop the insults. Please is nt worth it. Team work like I said would make as go along way. Advocacy remains my aim of creating this. Trend and to enlighten nigerians the. Story thus far behind the paramedic dream! Make nigeria better for us all remains my priority 1 just like triaging a patient. Thanks all

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Abbeylincson(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
I think this matter should be moved to where it will gain more public attention. I mean maybe we can move to twitter handle of FGB, house of assembly so that they can see it. that's my recommendation
#safeliveswithparamedics
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2017
Abbeylincson:
I think this matter should be moved to where it will gain more public attention. I mean maybe we can move to twitter hand of FGB, house of assembly so that they can see it. that's my recommendation

Sir how can this be done you have spoken well.. You could as well. Share the info too
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Abbeylincson(m): 11:12pm On Jan 02, 2017
ability19:

Sir how can this be done you have spoken well.. You could as well. Share the info too
create a tweet with this topic with #paramedics and post the link here for more broadcasting
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 11:30pm On Jan 02, 2017
Abbeylincson:

create a tweet with this topic with #paramedics and post the link here for more broadcasting

I will do just that. But do I actually need to follow national assembly on twitter to get this do or I should tweet on my page
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 11:55pm On Jan 02, 2017
#paramedic_the_missing_link_in_nigeria_health_sector

http://pic.twitter.com/rblPVgsXXJ

http://pic.twitter.com/rpQxrUYDqY
You can re-broadcast.
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Johnjnr(m): 12:57am On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:
How does the laboratory scientist that takes and analyses body samples under the direction and supervision of a doctor come into this issue biko nu?

Who told you med lab scientists work under d supervision of a doctor. Very soon u will tell us that pharmacist produce and dispense drugs under a doctors supervision.

How does the laboratory scientist that takes and analyses body samples under the direction and supervision of a doctor come into this issue biko nu?

Besides I don't understand this issue of fight over superiority. Who is fighting who abeg?

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Johnjnr(m): 12:58am On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:

Who told you med lab scientists work under d supervision of a doctor. Very soon u will tell us that pharmacist produce and dispense drugs under a doctors supervision.

is a no no!
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 1:06am On Jan 03, 2017
its alright sir
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Abbeylincson(m): 8:07am On Jan 03, 2017
ability19:

I will do just that. But do I actually need to follow national assembly on twitter to get this do or I should tweet on my page
u can follow them if you wish but tweet to them via their handle they will see it. and after that copy the link and past it here so that we can also tweet to them .
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 9:24am On Jan 03, 2017
Abbeylincson:

u can follow them if you wish but tweet to them via their handle they will see it. and after that copy the link and past it here so that we can also tweet to them .

I should tweet this whole article sir but is quite long I would see see what I can do thanks for the advice sir. It will go a long way good morning sir
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2017
#the_paramedic_and_me
#called_to_save_lives
#prevention_medicine

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by zhyzhy: 1:23pm On Jan 03, 2017
Johnjnr:
is a no no!

Seriously?

I don't believe you don't know, but now I have to assume you don't and educate you.
Have you heard of Pathologists? Look it up.

By the way this is what is obtainable in saner and more civilised climes. But in Nigeria where there are few medical doctors, your guess is as good as mine.

1 Like

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by nelszx: 3:07pm On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:

Seriously?

I don't believe you don't know, but now I have to assume you don't and educate you.

By the way this is what is obtainable in saner and more civilised climes. But in Nigeria were there are few medical doctors, your guess is as good as mine.

Which of the saner climes sir, US or UK? A pathologist doesn't instruct or supervise a MLS cos both are autonomous courses. In the same saner climes both parties cohabitate as an umbrella. Ever heard of ASCP or RCPATH? This umbrella both professionals. As the general rule, a doctor can supervise a doctor as both are in same profession. You can't leave your profession and supervise another professional as both training and license differs.

I would love to know the saner climes you may wish to quote and I give you what's obtainable there.

2 Likes

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Johnjnr(m): 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:

Seriously?

By the way this is what is obtainable in saner and more civilised climes. But in Nigeria were there are few medical doctors, your guess is as good as mine.
Lol. Am a med lab student and have gone for my first hospital posting. I have never been supervised by a doctor or whatever, very soon u will tell us that doctors that major in pharmacology supervise pharmacists. how can a pathologist that only knw the basic things supervise a medlab scientist that have anadvance knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by zhyzhy: 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:

Seriously?

Let me say this in Basic English. A doctor or a pathologist asks (or directs ) a laboratory scientist to do a test on a body sample he sends to him.

A doctor or the pathologist also works on the result of the test he has asked the lab scientist to do, cause (besides being the leader of the Medical team or acting in a supervisory role in this regard) he has the clinical information of the patient who he manages or treats.

The patient is treated as a whole and not as a laboratory result!

Laboratory Scientists are very wonderful people and there should be no reason why they may feel any less so.
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
no body is commonlizing any profession. like i said the aim of this tread is actually for advocacy noting more and to let people know the chanelleges facing the profession thats all no quarel or issues at all
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by nelszx: 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
zhyzhy:

Let me say this in Basic English. A doctor or a pathologist asks (or directs ) a laboratory scientist to do a test on a body sample he sends to him.

A doctor or the pathologist also works on the result of the test he has asked the lab scientist to do, cause (besides being the leader of the Medical team or acting in a supervisory role in this regard) he has the clinical information of the patient who he manages or treats.

The patient is treated as a whole and not as a laboratory result!

Laboratory Scientists are very wonderful people and there should be no reason why they may feel any less so.

Yes they are the leader of the Medical team but they do not supervise or direct what to do. Medicare is team work with every player actively involved. No profession/professional directs nor supervise the work of another professional in another profession.

You do not direct me, the patients needs the service(s) as such sent to the laboratory not a form of direction when I'm not "boy-boy".

Pathologist provides consultative and the decision as regards diagnosis with the results generated by the MLS. So when you use the word direct/supervise it doesn't augur well.

1 Like

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 9:05pm On Jan 03, 2017
nelszx:

Yes they are the leader of the Medical team but they do not supervise or direct what to do. Medicare is team work with every player actively involved. No profession/professional directs nor supervise the work of another professional in another profession.

You do not direct me, the patients needs the service(s) as such sent to the laboratory not a form of direction when I'm not "boy-boy".

Pathologist provides consultative and the decision as regards diagnosis with the results generated by the MLS. So when you use the word direct/supervise it doesn't augur well.

very true!
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 11:00am On Jan 04, 2017
A must know. Pictures tell the story!
#prevention_medicine
#paramedic_me
#moving_paramedic_profession_forward

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2017
"This artwork below is so powerful, it depicts what's going on in our society today
People will rather standby to record videos and take pictures to post on social media pages rather than helping a victim in need.------- Mission Babyi"
I saw this post on facebook on the 04-01-2017 at 00:07:57hr and it baffled me, believe me I was moved by the caption but besides the caption something else struck my mind, in a scene, such as in the photo there are so many persons; the victim, the victims relation, the perpetrator and bystanders. It is appealing that individuals in this century would rather find themselves in that scene to post photos and videos on social media platforms than give a helping hand, but it also occurred to me that there would be at least one person in that scene that has the mind to help but would be hadicaped because many question running through their mind;
What do I do?
Who do I call?
Which hospital do I go to?
What happens when I get to the hospital?
What happens if the person dose not make it to the hospital?
Another thing that knocks me off more than staying at a crash scene and taking photos is having these questions pop up at all.
Nigeria at 57 is possibly grown and matured enough to have a national emergency medical service, a functional one at that in every state including the FCT, a system that has a toll free number that citizens can call in case of any emergency whatsoever, an ambulance service with a response time of at most 10 mins with trained medical personnel (Paramedics) to initially stabilize the victims and transport them to the hospital, a good health insurance scheme and legislature that allows for provision of care to citizens in emergency without first requesting for financial compensation in the hospital (something similar to emergency medical treatment and active labor act. EMTALA).
I believe that putting these in place would not only release the mind of the single well meaning Nigerian at an accident scene but would also reduce the time for photos and videos to a maximum of 10 mins. This will inturn reduce mortality and morbidity in the country and improve workforce.

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by Mtnmed: 11:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
Hi I just want to reply certain issues I could bring out, I am a paramedic in the university of Benin teaching hospital.

First I'll live to clarify that the reason for the post was to sensitize Nigerians about the missing part of "Nigeria's health system ". Paramedics are the guys that makes sure the patients gets to the hospital alive by administering care as the patient is been driven to the hospital in an "ambulance"

Many persons have asked, what is to say that paramedics will not one day rise up and claim to be doctors or nurses...the truth is that there is assurance because we are all human and human wants are insatiable but every sane person should understand the importance of each member of a team and all well trained medical person should understand his scope of practice and besides a better health system would be able to curb such scenario in the future

Us in the health sector should understand that the best way to care for the patient of to work as a team and as a structure of every team that exists there is always a team leader. In the health sector It is an unarguable fact that the doctors (physicians) are the head of the team but once of an attribute of a good team leader is to recognise the importance of every member of the team and all understand that respect is a two way street. It is taught in every team dynamics class that the team leader should respect the team member and vice versa.

Requesting a separate sector in the health system was never the intention of this piece. The paramedics are members of the emergency medical service EMS where the fire service the special rescue team etc are also members

I'll close my keyboard pad with admonishing us, every member of the health sector including doctors, nurses, pharmacist, pathologist, lab scientist paramedics that the reason we went through the stress and rigors of our various educational journey was to save the lives and keeping that in mind, having a well established EMS will reduce the number of persons that die at home, on the streets, brought into the hospital dead to the hospital and that of persons that die on arrival at the hospital.

1 Like

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 12:16am On Jan 06, 2017
Mtnmed:
Hi I just want to reply certain issues I could bring out, I am a paramedic in the university of Benin teaching hospital.

First I'll live to clarify that the reason for the post was to sensitize Nigerians about the missing part of "Nigeria's health system ". Paramedics are the guys that makes sure the patients gets to the hospital alive by administering care as the patient is been driven to the hospital in an "ambulance"

Many persons have asked, what is to say that paramedics will not one day rise up and claim to be doctors or nurses...the truth is that there is assurance because we are all human and human wants are insatiable but every sane person should understand the importance of each member of a team and all well trained medical person should understand his scope of practice and besides a better health system would be able to curb such scenario in the future

Us in the health sector should understand that the best way to care for the patient of to work as a team and as a structure of every team that exists there is always a team leader. In the health sector It is an unarguable fact that the doctors (physicians) are the head of the team but once of an attribute of a good team leader is to recognise the importance of every member of the team and all understand that respect is a two way street. It is taught in every team dynamics class that the team leader should respect the team member and vice versa.

Requesting a separate sector in the health system was never the intention of this piece. The paramedics are members of the emergency medical service EMS where the fire service the special rescue team etc are also members

I'll close my keyboard pad with admonishing us, every member of the health sector including doctors, nurses, pharmacist, pathologist, lab scientist paramedics that the reason we went through the stress and rigors of our various educational journey was to save the lives and keeping that in mind, having a well established EMS will reduce the number of persons that die at home, on the streets, brought into the hospital dead to the hospital and that of persons that die on arrival at the hospital.

Very true @mtmed thanks
Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 10:12am On Jan 09, 2017
We are here to stay!!

Re: Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector by ability19: 10:35am On May 24, 2017
Take alook @ lagos. Emergency management agency why can't we hv this in Edo state please retweet http://pic.twitter.com/S8Roxwlr32

We need this in edo state please gov. Obaseki http://pic.twitter.com/yapu4H5R05

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Give 2yrs In Between Pregnancies: Gynaecologist Advises / 7,115 AIDS Carriers Receiving Treatment In Osun – NACA / South Korean Doctor Performs Abortion On The Wrong Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.