Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday (959 Views)

My ‘Handpicked’ Best 10 Movies To Watch On Netflix In 2019 - Mimiejay / Top 10 Movies That Will Dominate 2018 By Kingston Dome. / 10 Movies We Can’t Wait To See In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday by Techazuri: 10:43am On Dec 30, 2016
We are presently in the post-Christmas, pre-new year period; at this point, most of us aren’t quite sure of what we’re celebrating but we remain in the festive spirit (honestly, this phrase usually feels more Christmas-y than Christmas day itself). In the spirit of this confusing period, most of us would rather just do lazy or fun things instead of going out. This post is for the lucky couch potatoes like me, who don’t have long work hours and would rather stay indoors and watch movies in our underwear with comfort food.

Here’s a list of awesome movies you can check out, in no particular order:

1. Life is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella):
Roberto Benigni directed and starred in this awesome 1997 Italian, holocaust-themed movie in which an Italian-Jewish man did everything he could shelter his son from a harsh reality. This movie is a very sad one, it can make even the toughest cookie weep, it’s also funny so don’t worry about becoming a complete blubbering mess.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird:
In this 1962 adaptation of Harper Lee’s book of the same title, a lawyer faces a nearly impossible task of defending a black man accused of rape and assault on a white woman in the heat of racial discrimination; the lawyer’s children have an encounter with the town’s “weirdo” around whom a lot of rumours have been spun. This movie addresses diversity, ignorance, intolerance and acceptance.

3. 12 Angry Men:
This 1957 movie is basically about a jury of 12 men sitting to decide the fate of a young man on trial for murder. This movie addresses errors in perception and judgement-making; prejudice and the different ways people are wired. The most important lessons this movie teaches is never be too scared to voice your opinions, listen to others when they voice theirs, and things are not always as you perceive them.

4. The Great Gatsby (the 2013 version, not the 1974 one):
This movie is great for stoners; the colours are so bright and amazing, the exaggerated speed and slow movement, the narration, and a mix of music from different eras. I absolutely love this movie; I loved the book by Scott F. Fitzgerald and the movie wasn’t a disappointment. This movie is about a man narrating his experience with the most interesting and hopeful man he’s ever met, Jay Gatsby.

5. The Usual Suspects:
This is an awesome classic starring Kevin Spacey. After a massacre on a ship that got burned down, a frail looking con-man narrates the story of the events that led to the massacre to an interrogator. This narration centred on a legendary, feared badass named Keyser Soze.

6. Perks of Being a Wallflower:
This is a coming of age drama is an adaptation of a book of the same name. This story follows the life of a teenager trying to adjust to high school while dealing with a history of mental illness, he meets a group of awesome people who add streaks of colour to his life.

7. Casablanca:
This is a war-time romantic drama, released in 1942 while WWII was still on-going. This movie focuses on an mysterious American bar owner in Casablanca, Morocco who had to choose between his love for a woman and helping her husband in his resistance towards the German Nazi occupation in Czech Republic. Part of what makes this movie awesome are the dialogue and the strength of the characters; mysterious Rick, confused and desperate Ilsa, romantic Victor Laszlo and Sam, the stereotyped black man.

8. Schindler’s List:
The movie was based on true life events; Oskar Schindler, a German businessman, who saved a lot of Jews during the Holocaust and WWII. He started a business that also helped protect Jews from the Nazi Germans. This movie portrays the pain and hopelessness that was characteristic of that anti-Semitic period.

9. The Breakfast Club:
This movie is coming-of-age comedy-drama movie centred on five high-school students from different social groups; these students spend a day together in detention and they discover that they are more than the tags they bear because of their social groups. This movie teaches us that people are usually much more than what meets the eye.

10. Valkyrie:
This historical thriller movie follows a plan to assassinate Adolf Hitler, which was put together and carried out by German Army officers in 1944. This account was one of the numerous assassination attempts made on Adolf Hitler.

These are just 10 of my favourite movies, there are definitely much more than this list. I usually check critics’ ratings of most awesome movies of all time whenever I decide to go on a movie download spree. Here is a list you can check out:

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-movies-of-all-time
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

Read more on Techazuri: http://techazuri.com/read/10-movies-to-watch-in-this-not-so-festive-holiday/m98dn97v0q

Re: 10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday by RGem(f): 4:19pm On Dec 30, 2016
Where can I download these movies from?
Re: 10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday by bharatnath: 2:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
yes, these movies are beautiful. But here are some Tamil dubbed movies you can watch this August and make entertain your self.
Re: 10 Movies To Watch In This Not So Festive Holiday by sureinfo: 7:07am On Aug 06, 2019
bharatnath:
yes, these movies are beautiful. But here are some Tamil dubbed movies you can watch this August and make entertain your self.
hope i can watch them online cos i have upto 2gb i got with just N500 from the Airtel binge plan and i wouldnt want it to go to waste.

(1) (Reply)

To Those Who Hates Bbnnaija: Your Hates Got No Basis / Marvel Is Working On A Lagos-set Venomverse Comic With Sci-fi Writer Nnedi Okora / BBNaija: "Tacha’s Body Exposure Is Classless" — Kemi Olunloyo (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.