Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts (1876 Views)

Updated Keyboard Shortcuts For Linux / I Formatted The Wrong SD Card, How Can I Recover The Files Back? / My External Hard Drive Shows 'format Disk' Instead Of Showing Up The Files In It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 11:03pm On Jan 01, 2017
Earlier today, I wanted to copy some program files on someone's laptop.

My flash drive was not with me so i decided to use my memory card instead with a card reader.

When i connected the card reader to the usb port and opened my files with the autorun options, i saw that every folder on the memory card is displayed as shortcuts. I immediately removed the card reader to prevent further spreading of the virus.
When i used Check Disk command on cmd ' chkdsk d:/f ' to fix it and it was able to recover some hidden files but the shortcut problem is not solved. I don't want to do the very last option which is wiping the memory card with Diskpart because some files are so important that i dare not lose.

What should i do?

RolaDiva
NaijaTechGuy
TechInfoNg
Seun
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by SuperSuave(m): 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2017
Na lnk virus be DAT...d yeye thing do me shege when I dey use blackberry
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by SuperSuave(m): 11:13pm On Jan 01, 2017
Don't know too much about softwares, but Ive had this kind of virus infiltration before. Connect your SD card to a system that has a very good antivirus to prevent the virus from spreading to your computer system, open the files in the SD card and copy them to a safe location then format/fix the SD card and recover your backup files

1 Like

Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 11:15pm On Jan 01, 2017
SuperSuave:
Na lnk virus be DAT...d yeye thing do me shege when I dey use blackberry

[b] Yes you're right, all my folders has .ink extension
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by Samfilo31(m): 11:25pm On Jan 01, 2017
cyber5:

[b] Yes you're right, all my folders has .ink extension
download smdav antivirus den scan ur system of dr ink. virus den also insert de mcard to the system and also scan to remove de ink virus frm de mcard

else u will delete de ink virus frm ur mcard manually or format grin
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by tolugar: 12:18am On Jan 02, 2017
Happen mostly when you change system.
If so, use the system you copyed the data Frm.
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 1:18am On Jan 02, 2017
Screenshot of the problem

Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by RolaDiva(f): 7:31am On Jan 02, 2017
cyber5:
Earlier today, I wanted to copy some program files on someone's laptop.

My flash drive was not with me so i decided to use my memory card instead with a card reader.

When i connected the card reader to the usb port and opened my files with the autorun options, i sae that every folder on the memory card is displayed as shortcuts. I immediately removed the card reader to prevent further spreading of the virus.

When i got how i used Check Disk command on cmd ' chkdsk d:/f ' to fix it and it was able to recover some hidden files but the shortcut problem is not solved. I don't want to do the very last option which is wiping the memory card with Diskpart because some files are so important that i dare not lose.

What should i do?

RolaDiva
NaijaTechGuy
TechInfoNg
Seun

Are you sure your memory card is virus free
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by RolaDiva(f): 7:33am On Jan 02, 2017
Samfilo31:
download smdav antivirus den scan ur system of dr ink. virus den also insert de mcard to the system and also scan to remove de ink virus frm de mcard

You can also try it
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 10:40am On Jan 02, 2017
Samfilo31:

Am a regular user of Smadav anti-virus. But the problem is anytime i open smadav, it crashes so i uninstalled it, but i'll try again since i modified registry files and i've downloaded lasted smadav version

RolaDiva:

Are you sure your memory card is virus free

Of course, it is always free from virus
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by stynhaq(m): 12:04pm On Jan 02, 2017
Solution is simple. Scan the memory card with a PC then press Windows button and search for 'Folder Options"

Go to where they say " Hide protected Operating system files" or something like that and disable

Also, show hidden files.

You will see all your files. Create new folders and move your files to the new locations.

Reply with your observations
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by fitinwell: 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2017
Scan MMC with Updated Anti virus Software ... Wud solve the situation but in the case not all files would be effected....... but at least solve the problem.
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by Marvyx(m): 10:21am On Jan 03, 2017
After I connected my phone to a public system in my work place, I had this issue... But my smadav antivirus fixed it
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by jmoore(m): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2017
Download 'usb fix it' to solve all your shortcut virus issues.
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by mavister(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
This is the solution to your problem
- run cmd in admin mode
- enter this elevated command attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* then press enter ( mind you "g" in the command represents the letter of your drive;could be e, f, c just replace it with whatever letter it is)
Once u press enter a cursor will be blinking repeatedly meaning it is repairing the drive or affected SD card
- once done , cmd will return to normal.exit and return to affected drive
- upon opening it, u will see the restored files as well as shortcut ones..delete the later
- you now have your files back
- enjoy
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 6:47pm On Jan 04, 2017
mavister:
This is the solution to your problem
- run cmd in admin mode
- enter this elevated command attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* then press enter ( mind you "g" in the command represents the letter of your drive;could be e, f, c just replace it with whatever letter it is)
Once u press enter a cursor will be blinking repeatedly meaning it is repairing the drive or affected SD card
- once done , cmd will return to normal.exit and return to affected drive
- upon opening it, u will see the restored files as well as shortcut ones..delete the later
- you now have your files back
- enjoy

Thanks man, i've fixed already using cmd with a similar method you posted
Re: Help! The Files On My Memory Card Are Displayed As Shortcuts by cyber5(m): 7:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
Plug in your Flash Card/Flash Drive/Memory Card, and find out its drive letter.
Open windows explorer, or My Computer.
Open a Command Prompt, and enter the Flash Card drive letter, then press Enter.
Next type del *.lnk Press Enter.
Next type the following: attrib -s -r -h *.* /s /d Press Enter.
After the attrib command is finished, your files on the flash drive may be hidden.
Go into Control Panel > Folder Options > View > click on the "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"

(1) (Reply)

Pure Copper Air Terminal Rod For Lightning Protection Indelec Supplier Nigeria / Samsung S8 Plus #145k / Where Can I Get Best UK Used Laptops In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.