Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,712 members, 7,831,226 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA (2918 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Boxing Day? / The meaning of " la vida loca" (photo) / The Story Of Afonja: How Yoruba Lost The Ilorin Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by campusflavour: 5:28am On Jan 02, 2017
pls what is the meaning i kept seeing it on Nairaland, but cant attach any meaning to it, i know many who use the word here might not know the meaning
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by paschal47(m): 5:52am On Jan 02, 2017
campusflavour:
pls what is the meaning i kept seeing it on Nairaland, but cant attach any meaning to it, i know many who use the word here might not know the meaning
Afonja; another name for a Yoruba
Igbo; another name for an igbo
Mumu/cattle; another name for a hausa
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by CplusJason: 5:54am On Jan 02, 2017
olasaad, do you have anything to say? undecided
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by DjAndroid: 6:02am On Jan 02, 2017
INDIGENEOUS PEOPLE OF EGBALAND. (IPOE)
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by Bamss1: 6:26am On Jan 02, 2017
afonja was a great yoruba warrior
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by Baawaa(m): 7:21am On Jan 02, 2017
campusflavour:
Because you want to learn.
Afonja was one of ancient Yoruba warriors.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by olasaad(f): 8:43am On Jan 02, 2017
CplusJason:
olasaad, do you have anything to say? undecided
well the only thing I know about Afonja is that Afonja is a name of a person not an acronym or slang but He was the Aran ona kankanfo in the old Oyo empire. And as traditions demands any Aran ona kankafo that lost in a battle will either commit suicide or go into exile while Afonja choose the later after loosing on a battled field and come to settled in Ilorin. Mind you Ilorin have been in existence before the exile of Afonja. That's the little I can say may be u can google it
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by CplusJason: 8:49am On Jan 02, 2017
olasaad:

well the only thing I know about Afonja is that Afonja is a name of a person not an acronym or slang but He was the Aran ona kankanfo in the old Oyo empire. And as traditions demands any Aran ona kankafo that lost in a battle will either commit suicide or go into exile while Afonja choose the later after loosing on a battled field and come to settled in Ilorin. Mind you Ilorin have been in existence before the exile of Afonja. That's the little I can say may be u can google it
You said it all. Thanks smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by stayreal: 11:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
Afonja was a general of the Oyo empire that rebelled against it in favor of Fulani aggressors leading to the decline of Oyo. He is a symbol of the treachery and cowardness....hence why the Yorubas are called Afonja, a people that prefers to be controlled by the North than have their own empire.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by mainaugustine(m): 6:00am On Jun 26, 2017
Igbo nko?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AFONJA by Wuminity(f): 8:51am On Jun 26, 2017
mainaugustine:
Igbo nko?
It represents Igbo people because of their flat heads, hence the name Igbo was gotten from flat headed people.

(1) (Reply)

“the Rash That Changed My Life”… Living With Psoriasis / This 19 Year Old Man Disguised As Woman To Raise Money For Himself / I Know Why Nairaland Crashlanded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.