Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? (8467 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Embarrassing Way Some Nigerians Boarded An Aircraft Today / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 6:47am On Jan 29, 2007
[size=15pt]Comfort created by youself is a 100 times greater than that which is created by your neighbour[/size]

iamnotgod:

How many people do you know that would leave a place of convenience to return to a cave. No disrespect. Human nature seeks comfort not suffering. When people have done without and then they get a taste of having a good thing it takes a strong constitution and selflessness to go back to suffering for the sake of culture or loyalty. Let's be honest, there is nothing wrong with being reluctant to return to a place where one can make little difference. If they can make a difference by sending money home, do it. It is easy to cry that someone is a traitor when you have not been anywhere, wait until you taste the honey and see if you prefer to eat the lemons abi.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by superman(m): 1:16am On Feb 01, 2007
i rest my case! amen amen
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by okeyz(m): 8:52pm On Feb 02, 2007
well ! well !! well !!!, i have not lived abroad,but i can categorically say that the problem with niaja is altitude.there is this notion that any body that comes from abroad is loaded with hard currency,we should not forget that during the eighties the value of dollar to naira was 1:80 kobo,then nigerians were travelling for educational purposes or to visit.
but today what do we have ? our leaders has bastadised the whole system,impoverish the general masses,most Nigerians are just clinging to life.

Overseas might not be the best place to live or stay but men if u fall sick or get invoved in an accident u r sure to be giving quick medical attention even if u r a foreigner or citizen,every man has the right to better his lot in this life afterall its one life to live,Nigeria has fast become a nightmare to its citizens our leaders has only suceeded in turning most Nigerians against themselves by using harsh policies,u can blame any man who wants to travel out to better his lot aftrall if our leaders are sincere,they would have created an enabling environment that will encourage productivity.Nigerians by heart are hard working and fun seeking people but our leaders have removed all sense of belonging from most niaja's,no wonder everybody wants to checkout like andrew.

I used to remember way back in late 80's when they used to advertise that the andrew's in Nigeria should not check out ,that nigeria will be great ,but 2day not only andrew wants to check even bimbo,ikemefuna and ibrahim wants to check out.
Our leaders should place value on human life and not material things,this thread i 'm typing now is been powered by a gen set of which if its not there i would not have had the opportunity to read this topic let alone respond to it.
Nigeria will be graet WITHOUT this present crop of so called LEADErs ,i would have gone on and on to list the woes and problem melted to us by our leaders but i will stop here for a while.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by superman(m): 12:40am On Feb 03, 2007
and what ur plan to contribute in fixin things up just as u said in the 80s!

well this superman dnt have much time to whinge about! yes lets get real and do me a favour forget the leaders for now course they are not there for the national interest
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by buffead(f): 4:33pm On Feb 24, 2007
true talk
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2007
People who are scared of going home are people who haven’t planned their life, they are satisfied with earning a few dollar and pounds, spending it in the same abroad and satisfied with sending a few dollars/pounds home on very few occasions. These people never looked forward to a time when they will invest and find something worthwhile doing in Nigeria. don’t blame them, because abroad, they can do any kind of job to get by, any type - and i mean any type, but they cant do such jobs back home, they probably left their professional jobs to travel abroad in the first instance, so how do you expect them to come back home?

but the wise ones look forward to coming back home, to them home is home, they plan, they save, they invest and they go back home gradually, they carve a niche for themselves so that they will live the same lifestyle they had lived abroad at home when they go back.

Thus, the fearful ones are the ones that have been beclouded by the "easy" life abroad and to them; home is a "cave" which they will never look back/forward to find themselves in.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 9:43am On Feb 25, 2007
Home sweet home.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Democrat(m): 10:25pm On Feb 25, 2007
@ Topic

I am not scared of going back home. Infact i was there for Christmas and New Year, it is just that when i am there, it reminds me why i left in the first place. I cannot Live there anymore, even if they had constant water and light, it is not just for me anymore. Home is right here in God's own Country. I am not scared of nothing. As a matter of fact i would Live in Kenya instead of Nigeria. It is just too much of a hassle to Live easy in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 10:33pm On Feb 25, 2007
@ DEMOCRAT

No place in the world is easy.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Democrat(m): 10:37pm On Feb 25, 2007
Some Places are "EASIER" to Live in than others right? Nigeria is hard and for that reason alone, i will Never relocate. And if i did not have Family there, i would not even Visit. I would rather use my money and go to other places that are "Easier".

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 11:16pm On Feb 25, 2007
Democrat:

Some Places are "EASIER" to Live in than others right? Nigeria is hard and for that reason alone, i will Never relocate. And if i did not have Family there, i would not even Visit. I would rather use my money and go to other places that are "Easier".

Free world bt please when making such comments know that they are some proud NIGERIANs.Dnt go cos it gets to help our nation.Thank You
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Democrat(m): 11:29pm On Feb 25, 2007
Like you said it is a "Free World". I am a proud American and i understand Freedom better now. I will say whatever i feel is right without mixing my words. I ain't scared of Going Back Home, There is nothing much to go back home to.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 11:29pm On Feb 25, 2007
I have loads to attend to @ ome.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 7:44am On Feb 26, 2007
Democrat, stay where you are if that's where you wanna be, but if ur a proud American don't return to Nigeria

Nigeria needs less people
I pray that more people leave, yes I said it, leave
The more people leave, the better it is for Nigeria in the long term, although Nigeria will suffer in the short term
cos the smartest people would have left, but Naija will recover and be better than ever

So I beg you, if you've got enough money and you hate Naija, leave, nobidy is stopping you, leave and decrease the
population, that is all cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 10:21am On Feb 26, 2007
I love Nigeria, and would like to move back home. However, the news filtering to my area from home is not exactly encouraging. It boggles me that unpaid salaries civil servants is still common in today's economic malaise in Nigeria. A bag of rice is 6000 Naira? C'mon, how do people survive, especially those with no jobs, or have relatives abroad? I admit that life was not difficult for me in Naija, I have very fond memories of growing up there, so maybe, to reciprocate the gesture, I might move back home, establish myself in business and do some volunteer work for my country. Maybe so, but it is not a promise.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Democrat(m): 1:37am On Feb 27, 2007
Dblock

Like i said, if i did not have Family in Nigeria, i would not even Visit. There are better places in West Africa Visit. As a Travel Spot, i would do Senegal instead of Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 1:38am On Feb 27, 2007
Who has been to Senegal, cos I wanna visit.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 3:38am On Feb 27, 2007
dblock:

Democrat, stay where you are if that's where you want to be, but if your a proud American don't return to Nigeria

Nigeria needs less people
I pray that more people leave, yes I said it, leave
The more people leave, the better it is for Nigeria in the long term, although Nigeria will suffer in the short term
because the smartest people would have left, but Naija will recover and be better than ever

So I beg you, if you've got enough money and you hate Naija, leave, nobidy is stopping you, leave and decrease the
population, that is all cheesy

Exactly oh.Since Democrat is nt a proud Nigerian he shld move his family out so he wont have need to go back home.
Ndipe:

I love Nigeria, and would like to move back home. However, the news filtering to my area from home is not exactly encouraging. It boggles me that unpaid salaries civil servants is still common in today's economic malaise in Nigeria. A bag of rice is 6000 Naira? C'mon, how do people survive, especially those with no jobs, or have relatives abroad? I admit that life was not difficult for me in Naija, I have very fond memories of growing up there, so maybe, to reciprocate the gesture, I might move back home, establish myself in business and do some volunteer work for my country. Maybe so, but it is not a promise.

Yeah if u can go into biz or so there is a great chance.Well i tink d aspect of dem not paying is attended to.U sound like some hardworking guy so 9ja wldnt be dt tough for u.Move on brova.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:43pm On Mar 01, 2007
who cares if you come to Nigeria or not - we are okay in Nigeria and care less if you visit or not. You will probably cause more trouble if you visit or if all the people outside come back home to Nigeria. shocked cool
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 3:39am On Mar 03, 2007
alabiyemmy:

who cares if you come to Nigeria or not - we are okay in Nigeria and care less if you visit or not. You will probably cause more trouble if you visit or if all the people outside come back home to Nigeria. shocked cool

Am jst loving ur post.Please say it to them oh
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 03, 2007
Democrat:

Like you said it is a "Free World". I am a proud American and i understand Freedom better now. I will say whatever i feel is right without mixing my words. I ain't scared of Going Back Home, There is nothing much to go back home to.

i just wish your "fellow americans" would accord you the same respect you accord their nation without looking at ur american passport suspiciously.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 7:17am On Mar 03, 2007
@ Democrat, are your relatives on Nairaland, is that why you registered, so you could communicate, or are you just an hypocrite, that signed up simply to insult Nigeria
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 7:24am On Mar 03, 2007
dblock:

@ Democrat, are your relatives on Nairaland, is that why you registered, so you could communicate, or are you just an hypocrite, that signed up simply to insult Nigeria

Thanks for taking note oh.The guy just hates Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by superman(m): 3:56pm On Mar 03, 2007
DEMOCRAT

is angry course obsanjo banned import fake auto spares to nigeria!

well bro i go better one day sha

NIGERIAN FOR LIFE (TO LIVE AND DIE)

STILL ME AS ALWAYS
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 11:25pm On Mar 03, 2007
LOL.

Oh iz it because he banned the importation of Chicken n co?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by superman(m): 11:29pm On Mar 03, 2007
bro i fit be so. u never know these things ha
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 12:08am On Mar 04, 2007
Exactly.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by WesleyanA(f): 2:10am On Mar 14, 2007
I definitely am scared.
it's not that i don't love my country or anything. just scared
I hear lots of stuff about those who go back (even some family of mine) and they never bring back much good news

but i know i'll eventually go back though. most likely not to stay permenently but i don't know about my future so i can't tell.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 3:09am On Mar 14, 2007
@ Democrat

You talk as if Nigeria misses u.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 5:18am On Mar 14, 2007
Nigeria doesnt know if he exists sef.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 8:19am On Mar 14, 2007
i wonder! Some people, once they step out of the country, they even blame their parents for ever giving birth to them in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 11:33am On Mar 14, 2007
The only reason why I'm not in Nigeria right now is cos ma dad got fired. I live where he has a Job.
I've lived in Jos, and Ibadan and things weren't too bad.
If it's my destiny to get killed by armed robbers then wh not, I'm not scared.
But I can't return to Nigeria to reside until two years, because it is nearly impossible to have a transition from the canberra educational curriculum to the Nigerian curriculum.

If I took any Nigeria exam I would fail, so it's either I stay abroad and finish my education or I go back to Nigeria and live as an Area Boy, not that I wouldn't want to be an area boy but, I don't want to die too young, plus I don't smoke and I bet to be an Area boy you'd have to smoke, right undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Asaba Airport Begins Commercial Flight! / How to book cheap flight / Cool Sign I Ran Into In Italy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.