Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Change Of Account Name And CBN Directive - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Change Of Account Name And CBN Directive (924 Views)

Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! / See Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today (black Market And CBN) / Finance Minister And CBN Fall Out On Blacklisted 41 Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Change Of Account Name And CBN Directive by sangfroidJJ: 8:38am On Jan 04, 2017
Dear Nairalanders,

I recently got married and went with my wife to conduct some transactions in Access bank. The issue now is that my wife did a change of surname to mine which was published in one of our prestigious dailies. In order to use a certain bank account of hers, the name on her BVN needed to be changed. In doing this at the Customer Care desk of Access Bank, we were intimated that a CBN directive stipulates that we bring the following for our transaction to be completed:

1. Newspaper publication showing the change of name
2. Marriage certificate
3. Proof of Official Identification Card

My problem with the above requirements was the proof of Identification. The Access Bank staff told us that my wife had to present an Identification (I.D.) card bearing her new surname. The options we have for these are:

a. International Passport (Renewable every 5 years)
b. Drivers’ licence (Renewable every 3 years)
c. Voter’s Card (Never renewable)
d. National Identity Card (Renewable every 5 years)

All these documents bear my wife’s maiden name, does this imply she has to make an entirely new I.D. just to change the name on her bank account? We all know the hassles it takes to get any of the I.D. cards not to talk of the cost implications.

Please we humbly request great suggestions on how to overcome this challenge.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Change Of Account Name And CBN Directive by Roseey0(f): 10:08am On Jan 04, 2017
Yes. The Id must bear the new name she is changing to.
If she has international passport, let her go and do change of name first and present the new one.

International passport and Driver's licence are your best bet for now. The other options are almost impossible to get an immediate name change on it.

1 Like

Re: Change Of Account Name And CBN Directive by sangfroidJJ: 10:48pm On Jan 04, 2017
Roseey0:
Yes. The Id must bear the new name she is changing to.
If she has international passport, let her go and do change of name first and present the new one.

International passport and Driver's licence are your best bet for now. The other options are almost impossible to get an immediate name change on it.

Thank you so much for your kind and candid answer.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Banks Still Use Telex? / Captain Cook Bread... Imminent Collapse Near... / Training On Basic Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.