Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy (4934 Views)

Poll: Would You?

Yes: 15% (9 votes)
No: 84% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / What Would Make You Change Your Religion? / Your Wealthy Religion To Belong Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by kech(f): 7:29pm On Nov 24, 2009
tolly4real:

i ve always said to myself i wont marry some1 outside my religion but i did. your mindset when it comes to love can change

Exactly, but do you "love" at the detriment of your spirituality. Are you willing give up all you believe in just to make a man happy. Why do women have to be the one to make the sacrifice. My uncle told me that he will NEVER allow a woman change to his religion or denomination because she's in "love". If she does it'll be because she really ACCEPTS his religion and wants to change. He said his conscience will not allow him, that everyone has a right to personally choose how and in what manner they want to worship God and he won't be the one to come in between that. I almost got married to someone who was in a different denomination and of course everyone expected me to change as the woman. He knew I had nothing against his church but he also knew I'd rather worship in my own way. Friends, relatives, everyone knew my worry. Most of them said "Don't do it if you won't go into it whole-heartedly". Others said I would be a fool if I let such a "little thing" like that get in my way of getting married. shocked shocked That it was normal. The funny thing was that if my ex-fiance had insisted, I would have gone ahead, because I was so much in love with him,  but he just gave me time to decide. He told me, " I know you, you will never be truly happy if you change just to please me and that's not what I want." I prayed so much during this period. My prayer to God was never to put me in a situation where I'd have to choose. We ended up not getting married because of this. It was the MOST DIFFICULT decision we had ever made in our lives. I can tell you that having your heart broken doesn't compare to the pain of having to make decisions like these. Now I am thankful to God I made that decision. I'm in a better place. I look back and I say "WOW!" Love is really blind. I was lucky I had a selfless ex-fiancé (bless him) because I know in my heart that I would have gone ahead if he had insisted. And knowing the kind of person I am, it will only be a while before I go back to my church and then the problem starts. Everyone gets involved, Relatives, In-laws and whoever. I will now be labelled the rebel. The one who now wants to become the "man" of the house. I remember people said "Get married first, that one is minor, you'll deal with that later." Huh? When I'm stuck abi? Yeah right!. I know couples that this has destroyed. It's easy to manage initially but when the kids start coming, the real task begins. What church will they go to? For spouses that do change, a lot of them are not comfortable, they suck it up because they want to stay married. They say, "At least I'm married." shocked shocked shocked Hmm, Ok oooo. I'm not that strong. undecided

But the thing is, it works for most people. It's not a bad thing to do, as long as the person changing is doing it willingly and accepts it FULLY, and not because he/she claims he/she is "in love". Love and Spiritual compatibility are two different things. They both have to work for a successful marriage. You can't have one without the other. I mean you can, if you force it. sad
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by tolly4real(f): 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2009
@kech, i understand everything u said, of course religion and love re two different things. U knw men initially when u talked abt the religion there response is always am nt stopping u from practising wht u believe in but wait till u walk the aisle and then they will sing a different song i.e i dnt want my kids to be confused, i want them to grow up knowing one religion and stuffs like that. though i still ve strong believe in my religion but when u want peace to reign in ur house wht can u do? God help us
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by mamagee3(f): 10:01pm On Nov 24, 2009
Not in this generation and the next. angry
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by kech(f): 11:53pm On Nov 24, 2009
tolly4real:

@kech, i understand everything u said, of course religion and love re two different things. U knw men initially when u talked abt the religion there response is always am nt stopping u from practising wht u believe in but wait till u walk the aisle and then they will sing a different song i.e i dnt want my kids to be confused, i want them to grow up knowing one religion and stuffs like that. though i still ve strong believe in my religion but when u want peace to reign in your house wht can u do? God help us.

My dear, I understand jare. Men do have it easy and you can't really hold them to their word. I've heard guys talking to themselves saying "Ol boy!, just gree. When una don marry, then we go know who pay bride price."  Even if the guy agrees to allow you practice yours sef, his relatives will say, "Eh? Who is marrying who?"
Anyway, as long as you truly accepted his way of worship and it works for you, you'll be fine. I agree, there's nothing worse than having the kids get caught in that mess. An unfortunately, only us women are  the peacemakers.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by afiq(m): 1:29am On Nov 25, 2009
NO
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by stede(m): 5:30am On Nov 25, 2009
never, God first b4 anything
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by kehindebad(m): 11:53am On Nov 25, 2009
& that's ow it starts
1st you change religion,
then you change ow you look,

If he loves you,he'll love all of you
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by rbn: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2009
God help us.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by agathamari(f): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2009
why would anyone have to change thier religion expecialy why the woman because they got married. religion is a personal belief system. two people can live very happily in oposing religions as long as they dont try to change eachother. forcing your spouce to change religions can atually cause more problems and animocity in the relationship. learn to accept your partner and thier choices.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2009
why should i? for me the real love is God (my religion)
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by tanimz(f): 5:38pm On Nov 25, 2009
HELL NO!!!

Say wetin? why can't my spouse change to make me happy?
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by phizz: 1:11pm On Nov 26, 2009
Serious talk, i cant say oooooooo

Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Nwamama1: 1:34pm On Nov 26, 2009
It depend on his religion, if his religion is of Godly, i will change mine to his so that we will reason together.

Thanks.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by markzeal: 6:25pm On Nov 26, 2009
I think you guys have a good reason why or why not to change your religion, my is different I am now a pegan because that is the only way I can be at peace with my babe for she complain that I go to chruch too much even more than pastor do, ask me how many times do I found myself in the chruch

ONLY ONCE IN A MONTH shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by mojiit: 11:12am On Nov 27, 2009
vikiviko:

there is nothing wrong about it

Gbam!
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by oluagness(m): 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2009
A woman must change her everything including relegion. It is base of true submission
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by yousouph(m): 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2009
I cant and did not grin
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by tanimz(f): 9:59pm On Nov 27, 2009
oluagness:

A woman must change her everything including relegion. It is base of true submission

Say wetin? Abeg, we are in the 21st century ohh, undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by desktop: 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2009
Till she raises the kids and you dont get to know half of what theyre depending on for the challenges they face in their lives
mama-gee:

Not in this generation and the next. angry

Its their generation though.

It really isnt all about you, theres a bigger picture, your family.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Abuzola11(m): 9:32pm On Nov 28, 2009
The religion of ghost can never be match with monetheism
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Beautymc(f): 7:37am On Nov 29, 2009
Capital NO. I can't compromise my Faith for love. I can't see light and choose darkness in the name of love.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by CrazyMan(m): 8:26am On Nov 29, 2009
I can date a girl who isn't a born again christian; so the issue of me changing my religion to make her happy is totally out of the question.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Beautymc(f): 8:38am On Nov 29, 2009
@crazyman, u are great. xtains for real. Born again xtain or nothing else
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 30, 2009
nO
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by CrazyMan(m): 8:09pm On Nov 30, 2009
Beautymc:

@crazyman, u are great. xtains for real. Born again xtain or nothing else
Thanks dear wink
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by bernaron: 3:38pm On Dec 02, 2009
Well in my opinion, it is absolutely wrong for anyone to change his/her religion just to please a spouse. Your religion is your believe and anyone who suddenly becomes a renegade just because of a spouse and not of a stronger coviction does not really believe afterall. And he/she who had changed religion for that singular reason would change again and again.
I believe ones religion should be by conviction, and one should marry within his or her folks (same belief). It is said that birds of same feather flock together and the Bible also warns against that. "be not unequally yoked together with unbeliever, for what agrrement has light to do with darkness and what concord with he who belives with an infidel?" .
Mind you, if someone claims to accept your religion just to make you happy and vis-visa what happens tomorrow when he or she offends you and make you unhappy? You also go back to your first faith to also make him or her unhappy. There are three things I believe we shouldn't toy with
1. Our faith
2. Our health and
3. Our emotions/state of mind.
It is very important we guide them jealosly.
Re: Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy by Luvlgenius(m): 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
oluagness:

If a woman can do it, why can't a man do the same, sad It goes to show that Nija men never really fall in love with their partners, what a shame or better a pity.

No wonder they are always ready and eager to move into another relationship when there is a little misunderstanding, PITY

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Goddess (female God) And Females In Religion / What Is The Difference Between Our Soul,mind And Spirit / 1hr Interview With Former Marine Agent & Ex-prostitute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.