Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,905 members, 7,824,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business (23395 Views)

How to Earn Money from The Business Section (And Make It More Valuable For You) / Make Millions From Paint Production In Nigeria / Potato Chips Production In Nigeria(pre-feasibility & Cost Analysis) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by ThundrCork(m): 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
Iamlordgee:
But u know Na.. Guys need sharp sharp money

No time to check time jor
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by Ajascolove(m): 5:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
jcflex:
Op thanks for this, i have been making little research on starting Cocoa farming on a small scale.

you shield more light to some grey area.

Gob bless
1. Site Slection: Get the best choice of land. 2. Prepare land very well. 3. Nursery Site Preparation: Plant cocoa on a deep, fertile, well-drained soil with adequate clay content. 4. Maintenance of Nursery: Immature seedling should be rejected. 5. Transplanting: Ensure that cocoa seedlings are five to sixx months old in the nursery at the time of transplanting. 6. Transplant seedlings only when rains are regular and steady. May, June and July. 7. Supplying (filling of missing stands), should be done during the second and third raining season(s) of farm establishment. 8. Ensure planting of seedlings on rows, for easier maintenance and other farm operations, at 3m (10feet) apart both along and between rows. 9. Ensure that cocoa plantation is weeded before fertilizer application: Cocoa farm affected by weeds will have poor growth and yield. 10. Plantain (not bananas) should be planted to provide shade for the first few years. 11. Hand (Artificial) Pollination of Cocoa is a good way to enhance the yield of cocoa trees. Contact me on that. 12. Reduce shade trees from matured cocoa plantation by ring barking to ensure gradual death. Gradually thin and remove shade trees as the cocoa plants form closed canopy. 13. Start to spray all pods against black-pod disease with suitable fungicides at the on set of the rains: Put on protective materials such as overall, nose mask, goggles, Rain-boots etc when spraying chemical. Weeds in cocoa harbor diseases, insect pest and rodents. 14. Remove dead or diseased branches of cocoa trees away from the plantation. 15. Remove chupons and other unwanted vegetative growth(mistletoe and fern) from cocoa trees early enough so that the trees could form closed canopy 2.5-3m above ground level. 16. Pluck and remove all disease affected pods from the farm regularly. 17. Unskillful prunning causes injuries to the cocoa tree. 18. Avoid over-ripening of pods. 19. Harvest only matured and ripe pods timely. 20. Do not pull off cocoa pods by hand to avoid wounding the trees: Use sharp cutlass to pluck pod within your reach on the cocoa trees. 21. Delay in breaking harvested pods for fermentation may lead to germination of beans and poor quality produce. 22. Break cocoa pods by knocking them against each other, hard object or use of clubs. 23. Always collect cocoa beans into a clean, dry and uncontaminated container. 24. The use of traditional basket of heap fermentation methods for five to six days is highly recommended. 25. Start sun-drying cocoa beans as soon as fermentation is completed. 26. Do not dry cocoa beans on aan iron or metal surface to avoid decolouration and loss of flavour. 27. During drying, pick and throw away all dirts and unwanted cocoa beans. 28. Do not store cocoa beans inside metal containers and/or sack already used for other food items to avoid contamination. 29. Always put well dried cocoa beans into hydrocarbon free jute bags. 30. Do not store cocoa beans near food stuff to avoid contamination. 31. Avoid keeping sacks containing cocoa beans directly on the ground or close to the wall to prevent absorption of moisture that can lead to moulds. 32. End product of Cocoa brings money.

4 Likes

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by jcflex(m): 5:50pm On Jan 04, 2017
Ajascolove:
1. Site Slection: Get the best choice of land. 2. Prepare land very well. 3. Nursery Site Preparation: Plant cocoa on a deep, fertile, well-drained soil with adequate clay content. 4. Maintenance of Nursery: Immature seedling should be rejected. 5. Transplanting: Ensure that cocoa seedlings are five to sixx months old in the nursery at the time of transplanting.

Bros you are too much,

i appreciate this info, if you have any additional information, it welcome pls.

again any info on Jatrophat and moringa. pls
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by googlepikins: 6:00pm On Jan 04, 2017
Sarrki come and see how to make money in afonja region. So that you and your Fulani masters will remove eyes from my OIL money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by buffalowings: 6:22pm On Jan 04, 2017
deleo16:
cry after reading this book I weep for my country, it's when our leader are truly ready same as the citizen transformation will come to this country

Let me find the e- version.

I wonder the kind of books our erstwhile dullard president read in his youth..
He definitely never read this kind of book cos he is running the nation to ground angry

This is a link if anybody is interested
http://bookzz.org/md5/F4F68B22D9DF627E7F8C92807F4F2ACF
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by swagifted(m): 6:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
Aare2050:
If you are interested in cocoa business, and you don't know how to go about it, you can contact me on my mobile number on my signature. Or through my email address, akbams2020@gmail.com

Cocoa season is almost off, we are awaiting light crop after which the cashew season starts, then cocoa season resumes fully after the cashew season.

I'm located in ondo state.
I'm ready if you are ready
I will upload some pictures of warehouse of the company I'm working with.

Thanks
baba i de interested,
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by lilreese: 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
following
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by sonofluc1fer: 8:39pm On Jan 04, 2017
deleo16:
cry after reading this book I weep for my country, it's when our leader are truly ready same as the citizen transformation will come to this country
Read it after Fasola mentioned in one of his recent talks. Awesome and powerful book. Wish we could replace every Bible in this country with that. That's the Israel we should hope to be like, not the nonsense the Bible offers.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by lakesidepapa(m): 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
samadeyemi007:
Where can I get the early-maturing, high-yielding and disease resistant cocoa beans seed? I lived @ Ilesa, Osun state. Thanks

Pm me so we can talk on it. I resides in bolorunduro
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by lakesidepapa(m): 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
Nice write up Op! Please, can u guess how many plots of land can harbour the production of 500 bags of cocoa
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by Kingspin(m): 11:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
Which day shall cocoa, groundnut, palm oil, onion tomatoes etc become Nigerian major revenue earner? The country will never be at peace until some things balance. Op, thank you.
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by deleo16(m): 12:17am On Jan 05, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Read it after Fasola mentioned in one of his recent talks. Awesome and powerful book. Wish we could replace every Bible in this country with that. That's the Israel we should hope to be like, not the nonsense the Bible offers.
please where can I buy or get the online version of this book ,someone recommend it.he told me the book expose corruption among elites in Africa especially oil rich nations

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by sonofluc1fer: 6:58am On Jan 05, 2017
deleo16:
please where can I buy or get the online version of this book ,someone recommend it.he told me the book expose corruption among elites in Africa especially oil rich nations
here
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by deleo16(m): 10:08am On Jan 05, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

here
thanks bro I really appreciate
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by igbanbajo(m): 12:18am On Jan 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by targus: 8:47pm On Jan 06, 2017
@Vastfinder,

That is a nice write up but i can see from your write up that you are definitely not a practising farmer and most probably has never been to a cocoa farm before, if you are, you will know that the early maturing variety that we are taking about doesn't actually start fruiting in 18 months but will only flower and shed the flowers because the stem is not strong enough to carry about 30 to 50 pods of coca at that time and when it does start fruiting after the 3rd year only few percentage will bring fruit and then gradually increase, before you start enjoying cocoa farm you are looking at the 5th year, do you know how much it cost to maintain cocoa farm for 5 years. Let me break it down for you for the benefit of the people in this forum so they can have correct information before going into it.

Please note that this is based on 10 Acres

year one.

you will need to do the land clearing, the current rate is 45k

you will need about 3500 plantain suckers to use as cover crop and source of incoming while the cocoa is growing. sucker @ 50naira each =175k

Panting at 30naira per sucker (Digging is 20naira and planting is 10 Naira) =105k

planting of Cocoa at 30 naira per seedling (5000 Seedling on 10 acres) 150k

second weeding of the land around August is another 45k.

Tree killing to open up the canopy on 10 acres will cost around 50k depending on the area.

final weeding of the year will happen around November ending to allow air flow to the plant. 45k

the second year , you 'll need to weed it 3 Times @45k each =135k

You will need to use pesticide which we cost you at the between 2500 to 4000 naira per bottle and you will use at least 4 on 10 acres plus labour

it is general knowledge that average of 10% -20% of the seedling will die (if you are lucky) due to various factor like whether and bad patches of

soil etc, this will need to be replanted.

This will continue until you have a fully matured farm.

so how can you tell me that you'll start getting return on coca farm in 2 years ,i can tell you from experiencing that you don't break even on Cocoa plantation even in 5 years if you are lucky.

I'm not trying to rock your Boat, i just don't want people to get into it with a flaw advise and on assumption that you'll start making money in the second year.

Sorry if i step on your toes.

6 Likes

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by jcflex(m): 10:45am On Jan 07, 2017
targus:
@Vastfinder,

That is a nice write up but i can see from your write up that you are definitely not a practising farmer and most probably has never been to a cocoa farm before, if you are, you will know that the early maturing variety that we are taking about doesn't actually start fruiting in 18 months but will only flower and shed the flowers because the stem is not strong enough to carry about 30 to 50 pods of coca at that time and when it does start fruiting after the 3rd year only few percentage will bring fruit and then gradually increase, before you start enjoying cocoa farm you are looking at the 5th year, do you know how much it cost to maintain cocoa farm for 5 years. Let me break it down for you for the benefit of the people in this forum so they can have correct information before going into it.

year one.

you will need about 3500 plantain suckers to use as cover crop and source of incoming while the cocoa is growing. sucker @ 50naira each =175k

Panting at 30naira per sucker (Digging is 20naira and planting is 10 Naira) =105k

Tree killing to open up the canopy on 10 acres will cost around 50k depending on the area.

final weeding of the year will happen around November ending to allow air flow to the plant. 45k

You will need to use pesticide which we cost you at the between 2500 to 4000 naira per bottle and you will use at least 4 on 10 acres plus labour

it is general knowledge that average of 10% -20% of the seedling will die (if you are lucky) due to various factor like whether and bad patches of

so how can you tell me that you'll start getting return on coca farm in 2 years ,i can tell you from experiencing that you don't break even on Cocoa plantation even in 5 years if you are lucky.

I'm not trying to rock your Boat, i just don't want people to get into it with a flaw advise and on assumption that you'll start making money in the second year.

Sir pls where is your farm located.

and can you pls help me with you digit. will like to relate with you more on this cocoa farming. pls help a brother
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by lakesidepapa(m): 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2017
targus:
@Vastfinder,

year one.

You didn't step on anyone toes Bro, u just corrected the impression in the right way. You are informed and really have the experience.

Please.. Since a tree can make 30 to 50 pods of cocoa, how many pods can make a bag/sack of cocoa?
I just want to figure something out..
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by StephenAfolabi(m): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2017
Sir, I am in Osun State. I know you're into cocoa farming, etc. I have business with you. You can send me your line or call me on 07038381171
targus:
@Vastfinder,

year one.

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by bigdaddy1: 8:40am On Jun 23, 2017
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by skilldammy2: 1:09pm On Jul 13, 2017
targus:
@Vastfinder,

year one.

You nailed it brother....

I have seen so many posts on the internet, specifically nairaland of how to make so so so profit or millions from cocoa cultivation after 18months. Thats on book and not realistic anywhere. There is a huge difference between fruiting of cocoa tree and harvesting of cocoa pods

Sometimes, I keep wondering why people think tree crops farming such as cocoa farming is as easy as buying and selling pure water on the street....Many of the new cocoa farmers keep coming to our office explaining how they have lost millions of naira based on the statistics and information given by theoretical farmers who are almost 80 percent on nairaland and you can easily spit this by their write ups

The truth is that the real cocoa farmers don't even have time to come online not to talk of having time to be typing lengthening words about how you can make millions from cocoa farming. Though it worth investing into because you will later realised its not just a cocoa farm but an asset.

From my experience in cocoa farming coupled with my background in Agricultural Economics. No one can break-even with cocoa farming even in 5 years considering both the operating and capital costs depending on the hectarage of land we are looking at.

Presently, i work with the department of Tree crops in Ogun State Ministry of Agriculture and have consulted for so many cocoa farms but I'm yet to see any one break-even in 5 years not to talk of 18 months or 3 years most of our "book farmers" we analyse for you.

Have come to realised that some don't even know how to determine if cultivating a tree crops such as cocoa is profitable not to talk of preparing the cash flow analysis. The bitter truth is if you use only book to start your cocoa farm you will also harvest your cocoa inside the book.

There are so many economic analytic tools you can used to actually determine if investing in cocoa farming warrant a monetary investment or not and part of it is the break-even analysis, benefit cost ratio, internal rate of return, net present value and profitability index. Each economic tool served a unique purpose with interpretation.

For those interested in investing in cocoa farming, i will advice you carry out your feasibility studies mostly on the field (cocoa farm) not on the internet, then sit down and prepare a comprehensive business plan for your cocoa farm before you venture into it.

If you don't have at least little passion for farming don't go into cocoa farming at all. It goes beyond making money alone.

You can contact me on 08123916545 for any advice on any Tree crops such as cocoa, cashew, citrus, oil palm etc.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by Derealme(m): 1:34pm On Jul 23, 2017
Do you want maize at the cheapest price? Do you want maize in large quantity any where in Nigeria? Call or WhatsApp Folabi on 07069596909

Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by chibinobim1964: 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2018
7 million
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by imhere: 8:37am On May 23, 2018
Cocoa farming is very beautiful; it is an agribusiness you can harvest money from all the days of your life.

Although it is capital intensive; but there are ways you can raise cocoa farm with ease when you follow the steps laid down on this post....

http://www.enibest.com.ng/cocoa-farming/
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by Elharaby: 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2019
[b]@targus

Sir I want to know if it is advisable to lease a cocoa farm and what are the maintenance to be carried out on the farm including cost. Thank you
[/b]

year one.

[/quote]
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by Elharaby: 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2019
[b]@targus

Sir I want to know if it is advisable to lease a cocoa farm and what are the maintenance to be carried out on the farm including cost. Thank you
Re: Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business by tck2000(m): 2:04pm On Sep 07, 2019
nice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cost Of Billboard Advertising In Nigeria (Abuja)? / How Payporte Became Famous Brand in Online Retail Stores Like Jumia And Konga / Naira Swap Difficulties: Fairmoney Upgrades Mobile Banking App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.