Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,774 members, 7,831,491 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? (1650 Views)

Update: Iphone 12 Rumors: Release Date, Screen Size And 5G Predictions / Infinix Smart Real Screen Size And Resolution / Which Phone Screen Size Do You Like And Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 9:15pm On Jan 04, 2017
this thing has been baffling me for some time now, the screen of Nokia x2-05, for example, is 2.4 inches we should be almost half of my lenovo s890, that is 5.0 inches . but the thing is I can measure out almost five of the said Nokia x2 From my lenovo. on the contrary, shouldn't it be just two? now, the question is, is there a different method of measuring these screen sizes or what? cause, I don't understand.
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by bfeet(m): 9:22pm On Jan 04, 2017
They are measured diagonally

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Whizpeter(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
The Oga above is right...
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Bayhaqqi: 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2017
google ....over to u
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2017
bfeet:
pls, elaborate
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Dam5reey(m): 10:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
Mustiboy:
pls, elaborate

Elaborate what?

Google measured, and diagonally if you want elaborate meaning...

3 Likes

Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by bfeet(m): 11:59pm On Jan 04, 2017
Mustiboy:
pls, elaborate

The diagram says it all. It is measured from one corner to the opposite corner
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by henryobinna(m): 3:18am On Jan 05, 2017
diagonally, using Pythagoras right angle triangle theorem.
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 8:53am On Jan 05, 2017
bfeet:

The diagram says it all. It is measured from one corner to the opposite corner
like seriously, I still don't understand
Since they both are measured from the same corner to corner, don't u think a 2.4 inches should be almost half of a 5.0 inches screen? Compare the screen sizes of a 5.5 inches screen and that of a 5.0 inches screen and you'll see a humongous difference; is the meagre 0.5 inches that differentiates a 5.0 inches screen and a 5.5 inches screen that big? Pls, explain
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Elizkid: 10:05am On Jan 05, 2017
U guys are only explaining to the op how to measure a screen size but not why almost 5 of a 2.4 inches screen can measured out of a 5.0 inches screen, which truly should just be 2
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Dam5reey(m): 10:31am On Jan 05, 2017
Mustiboy:
like seriously, I still don't understand
Since they both are measured from the same corner to corner, don't u think a 2.4 inches should be almost half of a 5.0 inches screen? Compare the screen sizes of a 5.5 inches screen and that of a 5.0 inches screen and you'll see a humongous difference; is the meagre 0.5 inches that differentiates a 5.0 inches screen and a 5.5 inches screen that big? Pls, explain

What Are you saying na?

Nobody is looking at the Size the phone... What is measured here is Screen size... shocked

Go and buy a ruler Measure the Screen they using example above then tell us it is not correct...

Simple Google Search you cant do, too bad. sad
Measured diagonally from on corner to the other. Its the screen (display) size measured as the length between two diagonally opposite corners of the screen. It is not the size of the phone itself. It simply means that the screen size of your phone is 4.5 inches.

Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 11:50am On Jan 05, 2017
Dam5reey:

What Are you saying na?

Nobody is looking at the Size the phone... What is measured here is Screen size... shocked

Go and buy a ruler Measure the Screen they using example above then tell us it is not correct...

Measured diagonally from on corner to the other. Its the screen (display) size measured as the length between two diagonally opposite corners of the screen. It is not the size of the phone itself. It simply means that the screen size of your phone is 4.5 inches.
the screen size of my device is 5.0 inches and the latter is 2.4 inches. I know what I'm saying
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 11:52am On Jan 05, 2017
Dam5reey:

What Are you saying na?

thanks, now, I understand
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by samirnasri(m): 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2017
Let me explain with a picture. The screen size is stated based on the diagonals but what you actually see is the surface area of the screen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by samirnasri(m): 5:57pm On Jan 05, 2017
So looking at it, PHONE B is actually four times bigger but if you go by the diagonal, it looks as though it's 2 times bigger
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Mustiboy(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2017
samirnasri:
So looking at it, PHONE B is actually four times bigger but if you go by the diagonal, it looks as though it's 2 times bigger
God bless you bro, this is really comprehensible. Now, I understand. Thanks a bunch

1 Like

Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by Onyenna(m): 9:33am On Jan 06, 2017
bfeet:

Correct!
Re: How Is The Screen Size Of A Device Measured? by superfelix: 11:17am On Jan 06, 2017
Now I get it too.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Ready To SWAP An Iphone 5s For Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / The Almighty Infinix Zero 5 Now Available For Purchase / Has Anyone Here Bought Phones From Yudala.com?? Share Your Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.