Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items (27275 Views)

Uk Slashes Import Of Nigerian Oil By 60% / FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives / Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by repogirl(f): 8:47am On Jan 05, 2017
Have they reduced naira to dollar also? angry
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Youngzedd(m): 8:56am On Jan 05, 2017

For machineries and equipment used in sectors such as agriculture , cement, hospitality , power , iron and steel , solid minerals , textile and aviation , the government, according to the circular , approved a zero import duty .

Before the approval , the import duties for machineries and equipment used in these sector were put at five per cent .

Sai Baba.

If the price of these materials don't come down, we all shall embark on operation destroy the factories.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 9:13am On Jan 05, 2017
careytommy7:

They will pretend not to have seen it.

Zombies are brain-dead and incapable of thinking.
simple comprehension you cannot decipher because your heart is full of hate. How would you understand complex issues. The import duty on MACHINERY of industries such as cement, iron and steel, etc Were reduced Not the duty on finished products.

2 Likes

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 9:27am On Jan 05, 2017
riczy:
Y is dis govt as confused as d rooster it self,3days ago we read d opposite, wat is their problem y ar they inconsistent? I nid an answer pls
you are the confused and inconsistent one here. You read a concoted half baked story being spread by haters and vultures on the net. Without getting the big picture, you rush to say Buhari is a dullard. Now you know the truth, you say the govt is confused.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by lastmessenger: 9:29am On Jan 05, 2017
U did not read
tit:
buhari shuld just go away.
he is a useless dullard
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 9:40am On Jan 05, 2017
Integrityfarms:
Reduction in import duty and yet claiming buy naija to grow naija, who is fooling who?

Fake and incompetent finance minister
Blind hatred would not let you see the benefit of this policy. Those products we have the potential to product were banned or import duty increased. Those industries that were upcomming were either increased or reduced as the case may be. Those that we could do nothing about were reduced to zero. Criticize constructively pls.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by QuotaSystem: 9:42am On Jan 05, 2017
giddykay:
bros calm down.. you should know that Nigerians are complex to the point that they won't mind the reduction and continue selling produce at the same escalating rate all in d name of greediness..then how will d changes got stabilised..?? The affliction we are giving ourselves is even much than the government...naija ti sumi

The expected effect is not in the direct reduction in price of goods, but the revival and increase in economic activities as a result of reduced cost of business, which will lead to job creation, revival of moribund industries, more competitive exports etc. I get your point though.

2 Likes

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by xxgig(m): 9:45am On Jan 05, 2017
riczy:
Y is dis govt as confused as d rooster it self,3days ago we read d opposite, wat is their problem y ar they inconsistent? I nid an answer pls
increase duty to discourage certain kinds of import, and duties are reduced to encourage imports in sectors that will stimulate critical sectors of the economy

1 Like

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 9:46am On Jan 05, 2017
chronique:
Ban placed on importation of all types of footwear? What type of nonsense is this? Can't they just increase the tariff? Why must the government force us to wear locally made shoes at all cost? So, I can't decide how to spend my hard earned money again? Lord have mercy.
Aba boys just made Army boots for the Army.

1 Like

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by QuotaSystem: 9:49am On Jan 05, 2017
odogwubiafra:

Without the availability of forex, if they like let them pay subsidy on those items, there is still a major problem with this man piloting the affairs os this country.

Ironically the reduction of those levies will actually boost the availability of forex because manufacturing and export activities will be incentivised.

There is no problem with the man piloting the affairs of this country, the problem is with you who never wants to see anything positive about his administration because of self destructive hatred and bigotry.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by chronique(m): 9:55am On Jan 05, 2017
Enice:
Aba boys just made Army boots for the Army.

How is that supposed to be my business? I should have the liberty to buy what I choose. I have bought naija made sneakers 5 times in just over a year and they are not of good quality.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Originalsly: 10:23am On Jan 05, 2017
idupaul:
One good news from this Govt
Reduction in the tariff for imported tomatoes? .... regardless if tomato paste, preserved, whatever... in fact it should be banned. And reducing tariff on synthetic organic food colouring? ... ?.... is it synthetic or organic? ..synthetic colourings lead to health problems. Good news indeed.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 11:03am On Jan 05, 2017
Kennyquestt:
Of what use is the slash of import duty when exchange rate is still very high
the literacy level on nairaland is becoming too low for my liking. Illiterates everywhere. What will the zero import duty on machinery do to an economy? Boost the industries which will in turn create emploment and economy of the area. What would an increase in import duty do to an economy? Increase revenue, encourage local production and inturn employment. Okay!

1 Like

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 05, 2017
shocked what about the metalurgical industry? I see that its been given much consideration

'In the same vein, the government also approved a reduction from 10 per cent to five per cent for tubes , pipes , hoses , sheets , foil , tape , polyethylene , paper and paper board , yarn , synthetic staple fibres , semi -finished products of iron or non - alloy steel , stranded wire ropes , and completely knocked down or unassembled for the assembly industry'.

But then, they want to revive Ajaokuta this year?

'Minister of Mining and Steel Development, Dr. Fayemi Kayode, had assured that Federal Government would settle the litigations between it and Global Steel.
He said the company had been partly concessioned and that the process would be completed in 2017 for the company to be on its feet, running in full capacity of 5.2 million tonnes per year.'
http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2017/01/02/budget-2017-ajaokuta-steel-gulp-n6-2bn/

Isnt that counterproductive or is it just temporary. ? Before your baby learns to walk you are taking away its reason to be alive?

Prof Ha joon Chang Keeps saying that the developed countries are to blame for our issues- did they lobby for the tariff on steel to be reduced?

why is there no discussion about Modular refineries? the raw materials to make most of these imported items can be produced by a few modular refineries abi dem no know? refineries produce the hoses, and polyutherene, the resins and even the fuel to run the machines that we are now allowed to import at no cost. we will import the machines, import the fuel and import the semi-finished raw materials to be used to make the products? can we really compete in the global market like that?

I once got soo mad at my younger brother about this issue and wrote a rant - about the fact that only about four or five industries are needed to fix any nations- steel, cement, petroleum products and power. i just republished it to hear what Nairalanders think pls ignore the obvious typos.and Horrible writing smiley grin

http://ogaeconomist..co.uk/2016/12/the-main-industries.html

Someone should please get the Government to watch

Professor Ha joon Chang's lecture at the last annual Adebayo Adedeji lecture (Adebayo Adedeji kindof created Ecowas and NYSC in his spare time grin - bad guy.)

http://www.uneca.org/cfm2016/pages/annual-adedeji-lecture-2016

here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsK4RjaXz4&list=PLGDBRV0FcIwfVjph_NdB0n3av23Cc5SVO&index=3

to save you the time, Ha Joon chang said, protect your baby industries, that is what the USA did, that is what South Korea did, that is what Japan did, that is what Germany did and that is the fastest way out of your issues. note that he is the reader of cambridge university and one of the best Economic Minds in the world and he has accused the UN directly of keeping poor countries poor while helping rich countries become richer.

those with good internet connection and time pls do check him out on youtube. his lectures are free there.
and those with Money please buy his books and borrow me jarey cool. grin grin. anybody get Daddy Adebayo Adedeji number? Ahtink them send am free copies? make I follow read. cool

#info_overload

ahhh. and check out my misc page

https://www.facebook.com/ogaeconomist

what do you think?

i know i cant write already, grin grin grin grin grin cool

1 Like

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Enice(m): 11:22am On Jan 05, 2017
chronique:

How is that supposed to be my business? I should have the liberty to buy what I choose. I have bought naija made sneakers 5 times in just over a year and they are not of good quality.
keep buying those sneakers. You are being patriotic.

2 Likes

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by lonelydude: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2017
I don't think I have said this before but let me say it now:

GOD BLESS BUHARI BECAUSE I JUST GOT A BUSINESS IDEA FROM THIS NEWS WHICH I AM STARTING RIGHT AWAY.

2 Likes

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by iaatmguy(m): 12:51pm On Jan 05, 2017
riczy:
did you read the topic at all. ?
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by iaatmguy(m): 12:55pm On Jan 05, 2017
careytommy7:

They will pretend not to have seen it.

Zombies are brain-dead and incapable of thinking.
Did you read the topic at all?
Or you just want to spite the FG
IT said MACHINES And EQUIPMENT USED IN cement not cement it self,

1 Like

Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by iaatmguy(m): 12:57pm On Jan 05, 2017
lonelydude:

GOD BLESS BUHARI BECAUSE I JUST GOT A BUSINESS IDEA FROM THIS NEWS WHICH I AM STARTING RIGHT AWAY.

please share
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by saddabm(m): 1:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
lonelydude:

May God have abundant blessings upon you if you can contribute to the economy of this nation.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Billygee2u: 1:42pm On Jan 05, 2017
adioolayi:
The Federal Government, in a bid to promote development in critical sectors of the economy , has approved a reduction in the import duties of 115 items in various sectors of the economy .

The approval was given by President Muhammadu Buhari as part of the fiscal policy measures of the Federal Government for the country .

The Minister of Finance , Mrs. Kemi Adeosun , while communicating the approval through a circular obtained by our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday , said the move was in line with the provisions of the Economic Community of West African States ’ Common External Tariff .

The ECOWAS CET , which will cover the 2017 to 2019 fiscal periods , is composed of three categories made up of an Import Adjustment Tax list of 173 tariff lines , a national list consisting of 91 items and an import prohibition list , which is applicable to certain goods originating from non -ECOWAS member states .
It read in part , “ This is to confirm that His Excellency , Mr . President, has approved the 2016 fiscal policy measures made up of the supplementary protection measures for implementation together with the ECOWAS CET 2015 - 2019 with effect from 17 th of October, 2016 .

“Consequently , all transactions prior to the effective date of this circular shall be subjected to the tariff rates applicable before the coming into effect of this 2016 fiscal policy measures . ”
An analysis of the import adjustment tax list , which contains 173 items , shows that the Federal Government has given approval for the reduction of 26 of them , while it left the tariffs on 144 items unchanged .

However, the tariffs on three items contained in the import adjustment tax list were reviewed upwards .
For the national list consisting of 91 products, the circular stipulated that a downward review was approved for 89 items in order to encourage development in the real sector of the economy .

The items in the national list whose import duties were reduced from 10 per cent to five per cent are milk and cream ; tea ; fats of sheep or goat ; malt extract ; tomatoes prepared or preserved by vinegar; under natured ethyl alcohol for medical , pharmaceutical or scientific purpose ; petroleum oils and oils obtained from bitumen minerals other than crude .

Others are hypochlorites ; synthetic organic colouring matter ; grease for treatment of textile materials ; prepared glues and adhesives ; activated carbon ; picking preparations for metal surfaces ; organic composite solvents and thinners ; mixes alkylbenzenes ; and industrial monocarboxylic fatty acids.

In the same vein, the government also approved a reduction from 10 per cent to five per cent for tubes , pipes , hoses , sheets , foil , tape , polyethylene , paper and paper board , yarn , synthetic staple fibres , semi -finished products of iron or non - alloy steel , stranded wire ropes , and completely knocked down or unassembled for the assembly industry .

For items such as automatic circuit breakers , switches , lamp - holders , electrical apparatus for switching or protecting electrical circuits , the Federal Government gave an approval for the reduction of their import duties from 20 per cent to 10 per cent.

For machineries and equipment used in sectors such as agriculture , cement, hospitality , power , iron and steel , solid minerals , textile and aviation , the government, according to the circular , approved a zero import duty .

Before the approval , the import duties for machineries and equipment used in these sector were put at five per cent .

The circular also reinforced the ban placed on the importation of some items .

Some of them are refined vegetable oil , cocoa butter , spaghetti /noodles , fruit juice in retail packs , bagged cement, soaps and detergent , mosquito repellent coils , corrugated paper and paper boards , telephone recharge cards and vouchers , carpets and rugs , all types of footwear , bags and suitcases, and used motor vehicles above 15 years from year of manufacture.
The government also banned the importation of live or dead birds , waters , liquid dietary supplements and medicament such as paracetamol tablets and syrup , chloroquine tablets and syrup , among others.

http://punchng.com/fg-slashes-import-duties-115-items/
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Bamss1: 3:11pm On Jan 05, 2017
riczy:
wat did u read three days ago?
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Bamss1: 3:20pm On Jan 05, 2017
Kennyquestt:
Of what use is the slash of import duty when exchange rate is still very high
jeeeeezuz christ!!!
it wld av been better u kept kwayet ooo
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by odogwubiafra: 3:31pm On Jan 07, 2017
QuotaSystem:

Ironically the reduction of those levies will actually boost the availability of forex because manufacturing and export activities will be incentivised.

There is no problem with the man piloting the affairs of this country, the problem is with you who never wants to see anything positive about his administration because of self destructive hatred and bigotry.

Even the blind almajiris are feeling the negativity in Buhari's government, and with your two "necked" eyes you can not see it. Maybe there should be a redefinition of HANDICAP.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Kennyquestt: 9:24pm On May 02, 2022
Enice:
the literacy level on nairaland is becoming too low for my liking. Illiterates everywhere. What will the zero import duty on machinery do to an economy? Boost the industries which will in turn create emploment and economy of the area. What would an increase in import duty do to an economy? Increase revenue, encourage local production and inturn employment. Okay!
Hmmm Mr literate how market, with all your ignorant economic analysis that you don't even know how to marry indices yet you call people illiterate.So how is your economy now?
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Kennyquestt: 9:27pm On May 02, 2022
Bamss1:
jeeeeezuz christ!!!

Someone like is no doubt bereft of knowledge and information but jumps into criticising people without reasoning.
Anyway, you are as good all the failed Nigeria economic policies.
Re: FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items by Kennyquestt: 6:58pm On May 05, 2022
Bamss1:
jeeeeezuz christ!!!
You are truly bereft of knowledge and information.
In your mind you know simple economics. Macro economics goes beyond your reasoning anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Equinor Exits Nigeria After 30 Years, Sells Its Assets To Chappal Energies / $309Million Flows Into Nigeria’s Forex Market In One Trading Day / Meet Newly Appointed Keystone Bank CEO, Hassan Imam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.