Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:09 AM

Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association (16475 Views)

Deborah Ay Wins Miss Globe Queen Beauty Pageant 2019 / Wendy: Face Of Candy City Beauty Pageant Is Scam / Top 10 Worst Beauty Pageant Winners You Want To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by GLeesMODEL(m): 3:50pm On Jan 05, 2017
In recent years, the entertainment sub-sector in the country has witnessed the increasing introduction of beauty pageants in various forms and shades. From Miss  Nigeria, which started in 1957, to Silverbird Group’s Most Beautiful Girl in  Nigeria, MBGN, others such as Queen  Nigeria, Miss Teen Nigeria, Miss  Nigeria  in  America, Miss Earth  Nigeria, Sisi Oge, Miss Heritage  Nigeria  and so on, have sprung up. Most remarkable is the new trend trailing these pageants and that’s the fact that more than ever before, they all claim to promote African heritage above Western values and ideas. Practices at some of these pageants have however forced this claim to be questioned at different times.

Beauty pageantry Beauty queens, promiscuity, scandals

Perhaps due to the sexy dress patterns of contestants and the  daring manner in which they strut the runway, a large chunk of the society have found it almost difficult to separate pageantry from immorality. In fact, pageantry, to these ones, is a major breeding ground for promiscuity and all sorts of immoralities such as lesbianism, prostitution (i.e with judges and organisers for favour), etc.   This is regardless of the fact that many beauty queens have gone the extra mile to prove beyond reasonable doubt that pageantry isn’t all about promiscuity or immorality. Unfortunately though, several beauty queens have been associated with some very scandalous stories that shook, at different times, the media landscape, further bastardising the entire concept of pageantry. One of the most recent was the case of Chidinma Okeke, Miss Anambra 2015, in a leaked sex video in which the beauty queen was caught in an enthralling act of lesbianism with another beauty queen sometime between September and October, 2016. A second video surfaced, showing the queen and her partner, playing with cucumber, and using it as a intimacy gadget. The queen however claimed she was pressured to do the video by the organisers of the Miss Anambra Pageant, Anambra Broadcasting Service, ABS, a claim the organisers swiftly denied. That scandal further cast a shadow of gloom and almost doom on pageants in the country.

Relevance:
In spite of such ugly tales however, beauty pageants cannot be said to be entirely bad—at least not with scores of positive stories that have emerged concerning many beauty queens in the past. Not to mention the impact these women have had on communities and society at large, even up to making global impact. Like Alex Nwankwo, CEO, Amity Global Network/Organiser, Most Beautiful Model in Nigeria, Most Beautiful Girl in Abuja recollected in a chat with Woman’s Own, Nigeria was recognized as the first African country to win ‘Miss World’ courtesy of the ex-Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, MBGN, Agbani Darego, where she was not only given money and prizes but gained world recognition. “The role of pageants in  Nigeria  and beyond cannot be quantified as several beauty queens have gone ahead to hit headlines in politics. The wife of late Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Bianca Ojukwu, was appointed Nigerian Ambassador to Spain during the Goodluck Jonathan administration; former beauty queen Regina Askia went ahead to become a super actress; former Miss Tourism Nigeria and current Face Of Exquisite Universe was made Special Assistant to Anambra State Governor on Tourism; same as ex- Miss Heritage Africa, Benedicta Akpana, who was appointed Executive Protocol Officer to Cross Rivers State governor, Ben Ayade,” he reeled out. Nwankwo who is Secretary-General of the Association of Beauty Pageant and Fashion Exhibition Organizers of Nigeria, ABPFEON, a body which has the Chairman of the Nigeria Police Commission, Mike Okiro, as Grand Patron, further explained that the relevance and benefits of pageantry far outweigh the scandals that have rocked some pageants in the country. According to him, it was actually to checkmate and streamline the activities of beauty pageants that ABPFEON was established. “The body is at advanced stage of correcting the negative activities in the industry just as the wind of change is blowing in all the sectors inNigeria,” he told Woman’s Own with pride. Gains for winners: For winners, the immediate gains of pageantry have also been enormous. From winning mouth-watering cash prizes to becoming instant car owners, getting   sponsored by several prestigious organisations, landing endorsement deals, representing Nigeria at international pageants, working with associated charities and using their status to promote their platforms (also known as ‘pet projects’), they are in fact fruitfully engaged throughout their reign. The winner of  Miss Nigeria 2016/2017 Pageant, Chioma Obiadi, for example, received a brand new Hyundai Grand Accent from Studio 24, an all-expense paid trip to France, courtesy Air France, one year free accommodation, complete style and beauty make over and N3 million. Winner of Queen Nigeria 2015 pageant, Diamond Okoh, also walked home with a brand new Renault Logan, N1.5 million cash, an ambassadorial role and a chance to represent  Nigeria  at international events among other fantastic prizes.   For Miss Ijeoma Okafor, Miss Tourism from Face of Nigeria Beauty Pageant 2015, who spoke with Woman’s Own, participating in a beauty pageant has also impacted her life positively. “If you compare now and back then when I wasn’t a beauty queen, there’s a lot difference. It has given me the privilege to reach out and be outspoken because I used to be a shy person. I had my first car as a beauty queen from my first contest. It has expanded my network, business opportunities and has changed my status quo, both socially and economically. The reigning Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria, Queen Yvette Meurer was gifted a plot of Land at the Numatville Megacity in Abuja when she won in 2016

Pet projects
Apart from being an integral part of their reign as queens, the pet projects of most beauty queens have in no mean way impacted lives in many societies.  Throughout her reign as Winner of the Sisi Oge  Pride of Africa 2015/2016 Pageant for example, Caroline Oyesanya told Woman’s Own, she was devotedly involved in various economic empowerment projects. “Sisi Oge has a strong partnership with the Lagos State Government and I partnered the state government as well on my projects. I also worked heavily with children with Down Syndrome,” Oyesanya said. As Queen  Nigeria 2015/16, Diamond Okoh also told Woman’s Own, “I was involved in a series of humanitarian projects.  My pet project titled ‘Go the Extra Mile with Diamond – Queen  Nigeria’ revolved around making a difference in the lives of people especially children, youths and women living in Internally Displaced Camps. I am pleased I was opportune to touch lives,” she said. Recently crowned Miss Nigeria,  Chioma Obiadi, has also commenced work on the “Green-Girl” Project, a Miss Nigeria Initiative, preparatory to representing the country at the Miss Intercontinental pageant next year. The Green-Girl Project, according to the organisers of the pageant, Daily Times of Nigeria, is a community development initiative aimed at empowering young women to become agents of sustainable environment in  Nigeria. With the Green-Girl Project, Obiadi will be engaging young people and girls in schools/communities across  Nigeria.

Academic excellence

Strangely also, contrary to popular belief that these pageants might distract contestants academically since most of them are usually students of higher institutions due to the eligibility clause which requires a contestant to be between 18 and 25 years of age, beauty pageants have also fostered academic excellence. The numerous academic exploits of beauty queens who stayed focused and true to their life pursuits,   prove this. A handy example is  Dr. May Ikeora, first runner up of Most Beautiful Girl in  Nigeria, 2003, and former Miss ECOWAS, who is now a well-known academic researcher and entrepreneur. Emerging a queen actually helped fast-track Ikeora’s dream of having a PhD far before the age of 40 which she had pegged for that goal prior to participating in the contest. It is on record also that Nigerian born british beauty queen, Face Of Unity Nigeria - Chichi Mbagwu bagged first class Honours from UK university despite her reschedules from London to Nigeria bi-monthly.

Less attention to male pageants
Remarkably, there have been more pageants focusing on women than on men, except for Mr  Nigeria  and a few others. Why women have remained the main focus for organisers of beauty pageants has therefore been a topic of controversy, especially as many argue that men are also very much open to such life-changing opportunities. In reaction to this argument however, Idris Aregbe, Organiser, Sisi Oge Pride of Africa Pageant, says, “Women are the agents of change in our society. The duties of a woman in the home are also entwined with the promotion of values in the society. That is why we’re using them in a dignified manner. Train a woman, train a nation. I’m a man playing my part and I have several men working with me who are also playing theirs.”

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/beauty-pa[truncated by WhatsApp]

2 Shares

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by GLeesMODEL(m): 5:58pm On Jan 05, 2017
@alexreports

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
The people that matter won't read that epistle so why even bother.

13 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by kikies(m): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
Too long
Poster above y na
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by adadioranmah(f): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Rexphobia(m): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
Sigh
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Noblesoul123: 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2017
Its still relevant jare.

At least it affords the cucumber crew the opportunity to showcase their talent.

However, let's confirm from one of them...

7 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by TashaGirl: 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2017
In short Please

1 Like

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by spartoo: 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2017
Pageants is only a waste of time. There is no remarkable contribution of pageantry to the economy. It is only an Avenue to extort and molest.

BTW

6 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by luscioustrish(f): 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2017
What should I type now oh...

I dey come.
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by gaetano: 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2017
undecided
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by tizzdi(m): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2017
K..so

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2017
I won't waste my precious time reading an epistle from a group of irrelevant people

Well, up there is where those who give Bleep lives

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Sanchez01: 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2017
Most of these ladies don't have pet project dreams. The organizers force them to achieve whatever. Some of them are just too shallow to think outside the box. Dr Muhammadu Buhari... Just imagine.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Tjohnnay: 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2017
Na dm sabi

Those who gives a fvck ha stil in white hart lane

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by OCTAVO: 7:29pm On Jan 05, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by WILLYBABS(m): 7:30pm On Jan 05, 2017
Why are you explaining the relevance...the real people you need to explain to are in their office, all these one that won't give a Bleep can't sponsor it, can't contest. Channel ur energy elsewhere dear.

BTW

Some people don't just have the spirit of forgiveness, how can you sweep your room and use your ex's picture as packer ... ?

5 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by bamdelarf(m): 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2017
mtcheew..it s relevant den wen dick s an important n precious stuff..bt nw. dose gals r just fucking to get dea ....#cucumbercrews..
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Rapmaestro(m): 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2017
WILLYBABS:
Some people don't just have the spirit of forgiveness, how can you sweep your room and use your ex's picture as packer ... ?
that's just mean... it happened to u, rii? #Confess
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by naijamakossa(m): 7:33pm On Jan 05, 2017
too long op

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by proxitaly: 7:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
LOOK

4 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by CriticMaestro: 7:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
it is a tabo for a beutiful girl t marry an everage nigerian nw

1 Like

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by MOSTEC(m): 7:36pm On Jan 05, 2017
When u get to oshodi,ask anybody u see that u are going to where fu*ks are given,they will direct u.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by teamv: 7:36pm On Jan 05, 2017
yyy cant see the use beauty without morals and brain
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by muller101(m): 7:37pm On Jan 05, 2017
Yes. Relevant cos of artificial beauty. But most of them are poor with natural intelligence.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by ednut1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2017
Corporate olosho exhibition
Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by Mopolchi: 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2017
Yes. It helps in promoting the need for fruits like... The poster under me has provided the name of the fruit I had in mind.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association by babyfaceafrica: 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2017
Who cares .....all they know is cucumber!!!..nansense pagent

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FORA 2020: Queen Cynthia Chidera Emerges Winner Of Face Of Royalty Africa / Am Getting Dark!help Plzzz / Things You'd Never Spend Your Money On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.