Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria (19765 Views)

Burial Of Man, 2 Daughters Who Died After Taking Traditional Medicine In Anambra / Tiantian: Chinese Baby Born 4 Years After The Death Of The Parents / Nigerian Scientists Prove Efficacy Of Nano-medicine In HIV/AIDS Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by sisisioge: 2:18pm On Jan 06, 2017
I wonder too...If only those students trained to produce medicines would actually look towards our home grown herbs for development , things might have been a lot better. I remember those days, leaves as simple as the mango leaves had uses, barks of different trees...How time flies.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by ascend: 2:19pm On Jan 06, 2017
Cheap bulksms with DND filter.... www.smsfield.com

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 06, 2017
Cc Sexymoma grin grin
Seems u are talking from experience cheesy cheesy grin

My take on the herbal thing is that truly it has it pros and cons, as d OP said if the Nigerian Medical Graduates can just invest on it, it would be good
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by MEILYN(m): 2:19pm On Jan 06, 2017
free2ryhme:

Which hospital did u go to?
Nigerian Navy Hospital, General Hospital and a few private hospitals in Lagos.

My brother, I almost died. After 6 months of spending thousands of naira, I had no choice than to go with my mom to an old woman's house. Dirty streets, I was skeptical at first, but I got better after 2 weeks. Since then Ehnnn, I don't insult or doubt herbal Nigerian medications.

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by tarboshi(m): 2:20pm On Jan 06, 2017
free2ryhme:
Herbal drug is dead because has no dosage limits, produced conditions that are not hygienic, vendors are not registered and certified, they have no form of regulation

Except you want to kill yourself u patronize them at your own risk

Another brainwashed mind!

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by osuofia2(m): 2:20pm On Jan 06, 2017
i commend you op for this nice piece, may God increase the ink to your pen. the issue you raised can never be over emphasized, i as an individual, i have really benefited from herbal medicine, i remember how i was saved from almost death condition by an herbalist, may God bless him where ever he is now. Back to the Topic, our pharmacist and pharmacologist graduates should think of re branding and making more research on the practice and importance of herbal medicine on Nigerians and the world populace at large.

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 2:29pm On Jan 06, 2017
Op, its not dead yet, but if we don't do something some, we wouldn't even know we had what is called traditional medicine in the next 20years
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
Pharmaceuticals manufacture diseases and provide you with so called cure at your expense. Watch what you eat and excreate and the Medics will search for another job. They are in business because the populace is ignorant that nature put every solutions to our health at the locations we were born.

By the way, I dont take pharmaceutical drugs anymore, dont remember taking it for years. Whatever your health need is, look locally for organic herbal or dietary treatment. And dont wait to get sick. Get those fruits and vegs smoothied daily for optimum health. Even marijuan does magic for so many ailments if you can handle the smell, the stigma and the hallucinations.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by kevoh(m): 2:33pm On Jan 06, 2017
This is a serious issue. Nature has blessed us with so many herbs to explore and exploit. Our elders are dying and dying with this knowledge of various herbal knowledge. No thanks to imported religion and Nollywood that have succeeded in demonizing every thing that has attributes of being from the village . I believe there are still some young men and women out there who still have a fraction of herbal medicine knowledge they picked from their parents. Sad thing is many are reluctant to practice. Infact, wifey once told me about an old schoolmate of hers who learnt traditional medicine from her dad. She's very good at it but she's out there looking for white collar job as a graduate. undecided Like seriously? Someone is sitting on a goldmine but prefers to turn the other face for a white collar job instead!

Traditional herbal medicine should not die but evolve to be modern day medicine. The Chinese have kept their herbal medicine from going extinct nothing stops us from doing same.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by OlujobaSamuel: 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2017
op, nice one, this is not just about trado-med, it's more of our attitude to issues in nigeria, we are so lazy in any logical and informing arguments, politics, health, religion, economics, education, etc, the one currently sitting at the top of any sector see the advancement of anyone in such sector with a different title as a threat to his position, thus, we pull everything down without caring about who is losing more.
our professionals are competing with each other, they are not seeking to provide service to humanity, masses are also too divided along different views to engage the leaders of these professions, so many wrongs in the land.

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2017
If our herbal medicine industry can go a step further by ensuring some of their claims undergo clinical screening before commercialization, it will increase the level of confidence in the usage of herbal drugs in Nigeria. It goes beyond claiming your drug can cure this disease or that. What of the toxicity level and other variants? Most times the herbal concoction will cure the said disease but will leave your body with as much toxic that will eventually build up into another disease. The Asian tradomedical institutions are well enhanced. All claims go through biological and clinical evaluations before they are put on shelves. That's what I expect agencies like National Natural Medicine Agency, Pharmaceutical Research Council, Departments of Pharmacognosy and NAFDAC to be doing. If these platforms are provided and properly utilized, am sure our traditional medicine subsector will be better developed. It's an interesting field.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by aimuan(m): 2:40pm On Jan 06, 2017
Chimaritoponcho:
GOD bless you for this op
Traditional herbal medicine are by far more potent than the so called Western medicine ..i remember being down with malaria a year ago and how one of those gave me a permanent and swift cure

I just hope these motherfuckking 'i don't give a Bleep" crew don't come and ruin this thread
#istandwithtraditionalherbalmedicine
am glad some Nigerians still reason like this.guy western medicine does more harm than good,but only few people knows this.diabetes, stroke,high bp,and host of other medical conditions has no medical cure.but they can be cured with d use of herbal medicine.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by dustydee: 2:48pm On Jan 06, 2017
Joavid:
1. In reality, western medicines has done a lot of good, especially to us Africans but it's not enough to totally discard our traditional medicine.

2. Part of my aim for this thread is to highlight how our pharmacists and pharmacologists are being useless as well as the university that produces them.

3. I read an article about the guy that invented alabukun, that pain killer, yea, y'all know it. it's made from herb extracts and it works. So, my rants below is partly as a result of that article and ofcourse the recession.

If there was something I never took as a child, it was the white man's medicine.
I remember following my mum to an old woman's little wooden shop to get some herbs and barks when anyone of us got sick. After my mum would list out the symptoms to her, the old woman would smile and gather some herbs, or seeds, barks, hand it over to my mum with some instructions on how to brew it and the dosage. My mum would do as instructed and within a few days, the sickness is gone. She always had a tomtom handy to gift me with whenever I finished my dosage.
The old woman always complained about not having anyone committed who would learn from her.

What we see around today that is been paraded as herbal medicine is a mediocre to what it really is.(I mean, those bottled herbal gin) So it's important everyone understands that when we make reference to herbal medicines we are not talking about the bottled 'bitters' mixed with alcohol and packed in unappealing bottles. We are not talking about the ones hawked at the bus stops in various colours in transparent plastic bottles.
We are talking about the ones our ancestors had and passed on to our parents.

Why then have we dumped it totally for a white man's medicine? That's treating your diabetes problem and probably breeding the ground for another bigger disease?

Why do we import malaria medicines from India when we have thousands of pharmacy/pharmacology graduates in the country who can learn from this native herbs, modernise it and do what they were trained to do?

And errm, the old woman I mentioned earlier is dead, and her vast knowledge of herbs, died with her.

#rantover!

Good article. I currently live in the west and I have seen that there are treatments that we have back home that the west does not know. I discussed with my mum about acquiring knowledge of some of these traditional medicines. I also mentioned some plants that we had in our garden and she told me the uses of those plants including bitter leaf. I used to think bitter leaf was only used for cough but now I know it has other uses. I will like to learn more about plants in the wild and probably develop them for commercial use.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Zetra(m): 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2017
boriswole:
African Traditional Medicine practitioners are responsible, instead of documenting their recipes and packaging their products, they surround the whole thing with superstition and fear.

It is possible that early Africans developed technology that would have been useful today for transportation or flight or energy, they would have retained the knowledge to themselves and used it to frighten their people.

we always want to be looked like gods, if it was Africans that improved on medicines we would not have any institutions for its studies, it would only be on royalty or cult kind of knowledge.
Just tell someone selling native medicines to teach / train you and you will pay them, you will hear words like "it was transferred to me from mum, or in village". When they do manage to teach you just small
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by bisoye11(m): 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2017
God Bless you OP for bringing this into writing, I believe it's not too late, we still have people all around Nigeria we deals with herbs, such as yemkem and the Oko oloyuns, what we need is government support and their is a body that regulate it, those bodies need to be given more power to operate.
This is another God given naturally resource been wasted, I once a woman talked about a leaf which is capable to cure cancer and other diseases.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by bydot1(m): 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nothing like Herbs to be honest.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
k
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by fkdmods: 3:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
Joavid:
1. In reality, western medicines has done a lot of good, especially to us Africans but it's not enough to totally discard our traditional medicine.

2. Part of my aim for this thread is to highlight how our pharmacists and pharmacologists are being useless as well as the university that produces them.

3. I read an article about the guy that invented alabukun, that pain killer, yea, y'all know it. it's made from herb extracts and it works. So, my rants below is partly as a result of that article and ofcourse the recession.

If there was something I never took as a child, it was the white man's medicine.
I remember following my mum to an old woman's little wooden shop to get some herbs and barks when anyone of us got sick. After my mum would list out the symptoms to her, the old woman would smile and gather some herbs, or seeds, barks, hand it over to my mum with some instructions on how to brew it and the dosage. My mum would do as instructed and within a few days, the sickness is gone. She always had a tomtom handy to gift me with whenever I finished my dosage.
The old woman always complained about not having anyone committed who would learn from her.

What we see around today that is been paraded as herbal medicine is a mediocre to what it really is.(I mean, those bottled herbal gin) So it's important everyone understands that when we make reference to herbal medicines we are not talking about the bottled 'bitters' mixed with alcohol and packed in unappealing bottles. We are not talking about the ones hawked at the bus stops in various colours in transparent plastic bottles.

Why then have we dumped it totally for a white man's medicine? That's treating your diabetes problem and probably breeding the ground for another bigger disease?

Why do we import malaria medicines from India when we have thousands of pharmacy/pharmacology graduates in the country who can learn from this native herbs, modernise it and do what they were trained to do?

And errm, the old woman I mentioned earlier is dead, and her vast knowledge of herbs, died with her.

#rantover!

Who are you blaming exactly? What you call traditional medicine is just science that Nigerians have refused to refine. Where do you think more than half of the worlds medicine come from? From herbs and plants. The only difference is that normal societies have evolved it's ways of regulating, processing, and distributing it, while Nigerians still prefer to go to iya Ngozi who plucks it from the forest. The world has evolved and you all better start evolving with it.

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by fkdmods: 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
codemaniacs:

that's the problem..

they didn't retain the knowledge, they shared it with "colonialists", "colonialists" then patented it and claimed they invented it and probably killed off the real inventors..

we had many institutions but they were destroyed by the "colonialists"..

you guys are ignorant of your continent's history.. pls just remain ignorant because once u start to "seek the truth" it will drive you crazy if you don't have a strong mind..

Name the institutions. Please.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by bahaushe1: 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
sagieramos:
a woman looking for the fruit of the womb, pain during messes for women, you wanna strengthen ur ateries and capilaries to avoid stroke (note: sometime ur body need high BP to force blood to all part of the body when/if parts of ur vain and ateries get blocked; it is a normal fluid mechanism process of the body, do not reduce it with drugs instead use harb to clear all dirt from ur ateries, then ur bp automatically reduce), an infant that had consums hair in the womb resulting to illness after birth (this makes the child cry always and lossing weight), glaucoma.
all this can be cure with common harb/grass u see around some in less than a day. thanks to my grandma though for alighten me
What is this one saying? I need translator please.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by eddyline(m): 3:17pm On Jan 06, 2017
first off, alabukun is not a herbal drug, it is a brand of aspirin. secondly, working in a country such as Nigeria, it is almost impossible for pharmacists to come up with effective drugs that would reach up to clinical trials. no Nigerian university have a functional NMR machine what miracles are they expected to perform? while herbal medicines are no doubt effective, the problem we have over here is that of standardizing the dosage.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Teespice(f): 3:17pm On Jan 06, 2017
lmao.
my brother is a pharmacist and he's not useless.
end of story.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 3:18pm On Jan 06, 2017
k
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by ireneidiva(f): 3:24pm On Jan 06, 2017
sagieramos:
a woman looking for the fruit of the womb, pain during messes for women, you wanna strengthen ur ateries and capilaries to avoid stroke (note: sometime ur body need high BP to force blood to all part of the body when/if parts of ur vain and ateries get blocked; it is a normal fluid mechanism process of the body, do not reduce it with drugs instead use harb to clear all dirt from ur ateries, then ur bp automatically reduce), an infant that had consums hair in the womb resulting to illness after birth (this makes the child cry always and lossing weight), glaucoma.
all this can be cure with common harb/grass u see around some in less than a day. thanks to my grandma though for alighten me
Your grammar! omg!
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by firefox4th(m): 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
I fell in love with herbal becos it was it God used to deliver me from appendicites.But not after it dawned on me that orthodox did not have any panacea for it safe surgery.It was simple and nourishing herbal recipes I was given that cured d tin permanently since 1998.one tin about we nigerians is that we are too ignorant of many basic facts of nature and GOD.there was a guy that was flown to china for kidney repair only to know that the only herb administered on him for the cure was a common herb here in nigeria.again i make bold to say that no sickness under the heaven that we dont have its cure in nigeria,forget about the nomenclatures they give them and dont let them confuse you there is no dosage for them ,our herbal preparations have dosage and they are with little or no side effectsThey cure as against whites.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by jerryfisher(m): 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
ajoskele:
.Someone said when the Brits colonized India and Nigeria, the Indians rejected their language, food, clothes, religion and other British culture.
They only embraced their technology.

But Nigeria accepted their language(some would be talking through their noses like the Queen herself), their food(someone cannot eat eba/garri with hands again), clothes(I once wore a fine ankara to campus on a Monday morning and my girl didn't walk with me all day), religion(if you don't go to church on Sunday, consider yourself a devil re-incarnate) and other British lifestyles.

Sadly, we rejected their technology.
we need government assistance to make it grow
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by fkdmods: 3:32pm On Jan 06, 2017
codemaniacs:

grin grin I don't their names Ooo... their names would have been changed just to suit some people..

In other words you don't know of any worthwhile institution which existed then that should be in existence today cheesy.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by juman(m): 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2017
bisoye11:
God Bless you OP for bringing this into writing, I believe it's not too late, we still have people all around Nigeria we deals with herbs, such as yemkem and the Oko oloyuns, what we need is government support and their is a body that regulate it, those bodies need to be given more power to operate.
This is another God given naturally resource been wasted, I once a woman talked about a leaf which is capable to cure cancer and other diseases.

Yeah, okooloyun, yemkem etc are still doing herbal medicine.
Those herbal people needs support.
But in a country that has no sensible competent leaders its big problem..
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by JaySea: 3:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
MEILYN:
Nonsense! I for don die if no be for herbal medicine. No doctor was able to treat me, I went to Nigerian Navy Hospital Ojo, I went to many general hospitals as well. An old woman, who never went to school gave me medicine and I was okay within 2 weeks. Till today, I hardly fall ill.

Meilyn please help. My situation is similar to yours. Being treating Typhoid fever for months now. Gone to hospitals for treatment yet no cure. Spent thousands already, no respite. Deeply depressed now. Help me with the woman's contact or address please. You will be saving a life.
And out of curiosity what was your ailment then?
PLEASE MEILYN.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Dindondin(m): 3:53pm On Jan 06, 2017
Joavid:

#rantover!

crying
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
free2ryhme:
Herbal drug is dead because has no dosage limits, produced conditions that are not hygienic, vendors are not registered and certified, they have no form of regulation

Except you want to kill yourself u patronize them at your own risk
Yea! I wanted to kill myself, so I visited a herbalist in Imo state, who after listening to my complaint gave me three sachets of black powder and instructed me on the dosage. My dear, a dose of that dirty powder cured my sick body. This is what doctors in Ijebu ode genaral hospital and other private hospitals could not cure for the past ten years. So continue in your ignorance.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 06, 2017
dustydee:

Good article. I currently live in the west and I have seen that there are treatments that we have back home that the west does not know. I discussed with my mum about acquiring knowledge of some of these traditional medicines. I also mentioned some plants that we had in our garden and she told me the uses of those plants including bitter leaf. I used to think bitter leaf was only used for cough but now I know it has other uses. I will like to learn more about plants in the wild and probably develop them for commercial use.

That would be great!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Quintuplets In Kogi, Stranded (Photo) / PHOTOS: Unknown Patients At National Hospital, Abuja / Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.