Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? (5372 Views)

How Guys Use Marriage To Plunge Themselves Into Perpetual Poverty. / The Poor People In Nigeria Are A Terrible Lot- Nigerian Lady Says, Gives Reasons / Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by ImpartFund: 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
Every city in the world has a sizeable portion of the poor.With Monrovia,the capital city of Liberia rated as the poorest city in Africa.And in the USA alone, over 46million people do not have access to adequate meal.The poor live in places with a very low and debased standard of living.In some cities,they live in slums which is sometimes located next to rich neighbourhoods and communities.With careful observation,i noticed the rich and the poor have same body anatomy,are created by the same God,etc but when it comes to financial status the difference is remarkably clear.Whats responsible for this?Laziness,Lack of luck,Government policies,Spiritual reasons,etc What's your view?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by thetayohimself: 12:38pm On Jan 06, 2017
In my opinion i think it is the fault of the poor.The rich could have been poor too.I believe we make choices and decisions that have consequences.I also think the poor needs financial education because most of the little funds they have is spent unjudiciously.My view.

4 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by George22016(m): 4:01pm On Jan 06, 2017
Lack of opportunity.

For example why is it that people who steal 90million from their boss gets caught almost immediately

Why is it random people receive alerts of 8million mistakely by a politician reports to the police

Na this one vex me pass

Why is it that taxi drivers get rewarded with $300 after seeing $17,000 in their cab

2 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nothing is the fault of anyone. I'll try my best to explain my position.

Think about this. The attainment of wealth or the inability to escape the dungeons of poverty is a result of the slew of factors surrounding our lives, and how we interact with these factors. Example of these factors include: Being born into a rich or poor family, exposure to good, bad or no education at all, being born with good or bad genes, growing up in a healthy or unhealthy environment, easy or difficult access to lots of life changing opportunities, connections with financially successful people, etc.
Now, since we aren't in control of the circumstances that hover around our lives, like the ones I mentioned above, how can the results that arise from these circumstances be our fault?

Some people would also say that whatever bad financial state we find ourselves, is the product of the decisions we make, and hence our fault, since we had the power to make the right decisions but we chose to make the wrong ones. On the surface, statements like this seem sensible, but vetting more closely, the illusion of the statement's tenability begins to crumble. You would agree with me that our ability to make decisions is controlled by our brains, and our brains are composed of thousands of neurons firing at the same time, and this mechanism is what controls the machine of thought and decision making. But is anyone in control of the functionality of their brains? Some people naturally have brains that enable efficiency in certain tasks like decision making, while some people have brains that don't function as effectively in such tasks. Would you then say that it's the fault of the later if they make bad decisions?

Also, the decisions we make, besides being governed by our brains, are also modulated by the experiences we've had in the past and the kind of mindset and ideas, those experiences have ingrained in us. This means that by dint of past experiences, some people would be better molded to function more effectively in areas that would potentiate the attainment of wealth than others. But would we now say that it's the fault the other set of people who didn't have the right combination of the experiences that would facilitate financial success, because they weren't able to extricate themselves from the quagmire of poverty?

You should also not forget the essential role luck plays in the lives of people. In life, some people just have it easier than others. It's like certain people have an aura of favor that envelopes their lives, while some just have the opposite.

I am not trying to paint being poor as a state to be comfortable with, but saying it's the fault of the poor that they are poor, is intellectually naive.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by ImpartFund: 5:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
@George22016 you are making a lot of sense.But who will create the opportunities is it the rich or the government?And then when someone steals 90million and get caught i think its good.You are not supposed to steal in the first place.But really you made a good observation about drivers getting a very small reward after returning money found in their cabs.We have a very bad reward system and this has probably made people poorer.But George do you think there are opportunities for the poor at all?These rich people put themselves in posts by connection.Do you think opportunities can be created for the poor without the manipulation of the rich and mighty?How can it be done?

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 06, 2017
I think it is a combination of factors that cause poverty but for me, the biggest factor in all of it is access to quality education or the lack of it. As a result of poor education, the leading classes find it easy to exploit 'the ignorant'. This, definitely, is one of the major reasons why many people remain poor or what we call working poor.

Since you have mentioned America, let me tell you how it works there. Access to education is controlled by a system that is divided into state schools and private schools with state schools in the rural areas designed not to give the working class children even decent elementary education. Almost 90 million of all Americans are 'functional illiterates' who believe people like Donald Trump, a privileged white boy, that he understands their plight and will save them and the Republican mantra that universal health care, which other developed countries successfully provide for all their citizens, is something to be repelled even though their aged parents die from treatable diseases because they are unable to cover medical bills.

They are so ignorant that they believe the mantra that they should be grateful for having a job that hardly helps them make ends meet under the mantra that if they do not work 12 hours on starvation wage, the company will have to produce abroad so that it can survive when in fact people like Rex Tillerson (a former manager and Trump's foreign minister) collected 180 million dollars for quitting his job from one of the global players that have become rich at the backs of the working people and by exploitation of the natural resources in other countries.

But the poor white man will never blame the rich - after all America is the land of opportunity they have been told and because without immigrants they would be rich - they have been told too. And they believe it because they were meant to be educated and brainwashed to be stewpid and remain so generation after generation. These same people vote for Trump and the Republican Party, the party that has been trying to suspend the Social Security Act and of which the suspension would hit same voters the most.

2 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Acidosis(m): 6:56pm On Jan 06, 2017
George22016:
Lack of opportunity.

For example why is it that people who steal 90million from their boss gets caught almost immediately

Why is it random people receive alerts of 8million mistakely by a politician reports to the police

Na this one vex me pass

Why is it that taxi drivers get rewarded with $300 after seeing $17,000 in their cab

What's this for Christ sake?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Acidosis(m): 7:18pm On Jan 06, 2017
Let's start by defining poverty;

Poverty is a state of lack of sufficient resources for living.

It means that if resources for living are enough, poverty will end. Will resources ever be enough for living? The answer is NO! Resources are scarce!

So poverty is the fault of those who are unable to fit into and tap from the sparse resources. I could list 20 reasons why people might be unable to fit in, however, noteworthy among these reasons is "lack of formal or informal education".

The world has long moved into a knowledge-based economy. Because the older generation survived in the industrial and labour-intensive economies, you find most of them living today in poverty. They're the worst hit.
Traditional farming sells like cake back in the days; today the knowledge-based economy has paved a way for agricultural machinery; what 50 men did in 1 month in the '60s, you get a better job done with a single tractor in 6 hours today.

If the generation Y today fail to follow the trend (information society), they may spend their tomorrow digging the soil for N200/per day.

3 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by sauceTDA(m): 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2017
Being poor couldn't be a fault but remaining poor is the biggest fault

2 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
Its no one's fault that some people are born into wealthier families than others.

But that doesn't mean they can't strive to make something out of their lives.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 06, 2017
sauceTDA:
Being poor couldn't be a fault but remaining poor is the biggest fault

Exactly !

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2017
truthsayer007:
Its no one's fault that some people are born into wealthier families than others.

But that doesn't mean they can't strive to make something out of their lives.

They do strive more than the members of other social classes and they rarely succeed.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
Not everybody was born with a silver spoon, its not their fault but remaining poor is their fault.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

They do strive more than the members of other social classes and they rarely succeed.

Not true in all cases.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
truthsayer007:

Not true in all cases.

Blame the poor for being too lazy to succeed and glorify the rich. Glorify the 1% of the world's population who have 50% of the world's wealth in their hands and whose children will be rich without having to work for it.

But while you are at it, blame African countries for being poor because it must be laziness why they are poor and exalt, celebrate and adore developed countries because according to your logic they are the ones who work really hard to succeed, much harder than all Africans put together.

3 Likes

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
Not everybody was born with a silver spoon, its not their fault but remaining poor is their fault.

Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

Nonsense.
What do you mean woman?
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
What do you mean woman?

Are African countries poorer than Western countries because Africans are lazier?
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by cococandy(f): 8:31pm On Jan 06, 2017
Not always
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

Are African countries poorer than Western countries because Africans are lazier?
I'm bringing it down to the microeconomic level.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
I'm bringing it down to the microeconomic level.

On the microeconomic level, the child of the fruit street seller often cannot go to school and therefore has not the same chances to succeed in life as the children of the manager of an oil company.

On the macroeconomic level, the child of a factory worker in Texas has no chance to enjoy quality education on the elementary level and cannot afford to go to college, he or she may apply to serve in the US army to save some money but chances are he/she will never return.

The from rags to riches stories are nice but they are the exception and not the rule.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

On the microeconomic level, the child of the fruit street seller often cannot go to school and therefore has not the same chances to succeed in life as the children of the manager of an oil company.

On the macroeconomic level, the child of a factory worker in Texas has no chance to enjoy quality education on the elementary level and cannot afford to go to college, he or she may apply to serve in the US army to save some money but chances are he/she will never return.

The from rags to riches stories are nice but they are the exception and not the rule.
Education is not compulsory. Its only in Nigeria that education is compulsory, one can be poor and learn a skill that will liberate him/her from poverty. Mind you, African countries are poor because of corruption, tribalism, bad leadership and sit-tight rulers unlike in the western countries.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
Education is not compulsory. Its only I'm Nigeria that education is compulsory,

Please, do not take it personally but this is the dvmbest sentence I have read in 2017.

one can be poor and learn a skill that will liberate him/her from poverty.

Oh really? It is as simple as this in Nigeria? Millions of Americans are poor despite having a full-time job but in a developing country it is enough to learn a skill and you are no longer poor. How nice!

Maybe you should explain to me how you define poverty.

Mind you, African countries are poor because of corruption, tribalism, bad leadership and sit-tight rulers unlike in the western countries.

Oh, the people are no longer poor because of laziness but because of mismanagement on the macroeconomic level? Make up your mind.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 06, 2017
@Mindfulness, you don't know the difference between microeconomics and macroeconomics.

What I meant by saying that I'm bringing it down to the microeconomic level is that microeconomics have to do with the individual consumers,the family..

while Macroeconomics has to do with the whole country, just like you mentioned African countries being poor.

Next time you want to argue, use Google at least to know the meaning of what you are saying online.
Thanks.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
@Mindfulness, you don't know the difference between microeconomics and macroeconomics.

What I meant by saying that I'm bringing it down to the microeconomic level is that microeconomics have to do with the individual consumers,the family..

while Macroeconomics has to do with the whole country, just like you mentioned African countries being poor.

Next time you want to argue, use Google at least to know the meaning of what you are saying online.
Thanks.

Do you really think you have to explain the difference between micro and macroeconomics to me? You are very funny.
It is 2017, I have zero tolerance for ignorance. You have been warned.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

Do you really think you have to explain the difference between micro and macroeconomics to me? You are very funny.
It is 2017, I have zero tolerance for ignorance. You have been warned.
Yes, its 2017 and if you are not the ignorant one you should have know the difference. I guess that's the thanks you will tell me for correcting you.
Who are you to warn me?
Anyway let me tell you the meaning of poor.

poor /pɔː,pʊə/
adjective
lacking sufficient money to live at a
standard considered comfortable or normal
in a society.
You cannot have a skill and be hardworking and not be able to feed 3 square meals a day.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
Yes, its 2017 and if you are not the ignorant one you should have know the difference. I guess that's the thank you you will tell me for correcting you.
Who are you to warn me?
Anyway let me tell you the meaning of poor.

In your ignorance you assumed that I didn't know the difference between micro and macroeconomics? Girl, in my world, this is part of the general knowledge.

poor /pɔː,pʊə/
adjective
lacking sufficient money to live at a
standard considered comfortable or normal
in a society.
You cannot have a skill and be hardworking and not be able to feed 3 square meals a day.

So a person who has enough to eat is no longer poor? Housing, clothing, access to education, access to medical care are irrelavant?

And you wanted to school me? Ridiculous!
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

In your ignorance you assumed that I didn't know the difference between micro and macroeconomics? Girl, in my world, this is part of the general knowledge.

So a person who has enough to eat is no longer poor? Housing, clothing, access to education, access to medical care are irrelavant?

And you wanted to school me? Ridiculous!

We are talking about poverty. Poverty means extreme poor.
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 06, 2017
Mindfulness:

Blame the poor for being too lazy to succeed and glorify the rich. Glorify the 1% of the world's population who have 50% of the world's wealth in their hands and whose children will be rich without having to work for it.

But while you are at it, blame African countries for being poor because it must be laziness why they are poor and exalt, celebrate and adore developed countries because according to your logic they are the ones who work really hard to succeed, much harder than all Africans put together.

There is no need to try and twist everything and play the victim like you are doing.

Individually if you are born poor. You can always strive to make something good out of your life. Now by doing that you have taken a step further by making sure your children aren't exactly the same as you are. Even though its a small change. It is significant to your own context.

If your children follow that lead, a few of them will break the family out of poverty surely.

As a country or Nation, if we are poor we should look for ways to capitalize on our strong resources whether human or natural resources without Corruption and Greed. China now, wasn't the way they were several decades ago. They developed themselves to this level

Having said that, everyone including yourself would have preffered to be born in a wealthy family. So its no one fault we are where we are.

Citizens of Libya and Iraq dying everyday wish they are even Nigerians. Be grateful for the little you have.

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by mrwonlasewonie: 9:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
My take if you are born into poverty by poor parents. It's not your fault because God didn't give us the privilege of choosing our parents BUT if you die poor it is absolutely your fault 100%
reason 1.you are the CEO of your LIFE. Every battle of victory was won in the mind first. For example your parents might not be able to afford to send you to school but you have hands and legs to work and earn money to empower yourself. Do whatever it takes legitimately. Life has a way of bringing what you see in your mind. Sell clothes books apply for a scholarship when the opportunity presents itself. But the mistake children of the poor make is that because his father couldn't afford to send him to school maybe his destiny doesn't want him to go to school. I hear that b.s a lot. They wallow in self pity and accept the thrash life and circumstances throws at them instead of rising up and saying no this is not how I will continue living
2. Excessive believe in superstition and culture than application of common sense and priority. You don't have a stable job or poor source of income bearly enough for you you're impregnating your wife every year and giving birth to children that you know in your mind you can't take care of or send them to school and if you tell them you will hear it's God that provides what children will eat,it's God that will pay their school fees. Yes I believe in miracle maker but I don't believe in a disoranized and focusless life

Chances are if you don't plan your life poverty will help you plan IT. If you don't believe me observe the lifestyle of the rich and poor. See what they do differently
Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
We are talking about poverty. Poverty means extreme poor.

Poverty is not poverty, poverty is extreme poverty. grin

Good night!

1 Like

Re: Is Poverty The Fault Of The Poor? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 06, 2017
Life is a chaos, and almost everything is hinged on chance.

He who works hard and diligently might end up poor, and he who llollygags all day might turn out rich.

Poverty is usually not the fault of the poor -- but sometimes it is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Need Advice On Life as a Single Mother / Ladies, How Do You Handle Sexual Urges While Single? / Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.