Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? (545 Views)

I Need An Explanation For This Cos I Still Don't Know The Theory Behind It / Theory X--- A Crime Thriller / How I Was Tortured By A Co-participants In Mmm, Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2017
The theory of the tortured artist has been studied for many years and claims and counterclaims have been thrown here and there. The theory is all about claims of most creative people having a level of mental illness. You know...the mentally unstable writer, the suicidal actor, the musician that creates great music and is successful but is always depressed...etc. I believe this theory cos it applies to me too. I just want to know if other people feel this way too.

I have spoken to people in real life, but I haven't met people that have agreed to this fact, except maybe a few on Facebook, because it wasn't a one-on-one encounter. So, I decided to bring my research to the Literature section of Nairaland. I believe I will find more open minded people here.

From personal experience, I have found out that when I am most creative (working/writing a very compelling novel), my personal life, and mental health is always messed up. It is like the theory that great art can only come from great pain. Anyone can claim to be a writer, but I want to hear from people that write consistently. I mean, people that throw themselves into their works for days and weeks, with all their passion.

Like when I was writing my last trilogy on Nairaland (which I abandoned because the pain became unbearable), I went through a lot of personal griefs. A lot of personal relationships went sore quick, I got robbed on the highway by armed robbers, I got broke and went without food for three days at one point...etc. I gave up being creative for a while. Then I started again last month...and as people were demanding more chapters, it started again...anger management issues, alcohol abuse battle, and then I got into a bike accident 5 days ago that left my face messed up.

Enough about me. I hope you get my drift now. I have read a lot of similar occurrences with foreign writers too, but you know we Africans don't open up like white people. So, I am begging you guys to help me with this research...If you are creative person and you use your creative juices a lot, do you notice any difference in your life when you are not being creative compared to when you are creative?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 3:42pm On Jan 06, 2017
Lala can you please take this to Front Page for me. A lot of people will learn from it.
Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bibijay123
Creeza
Lleigh
Swann
Twaci
Skarlett...Awon writers,we need your input oh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 3:51pm On Jan 06, 2017
colik:
Bibijay123
Creeza
Lleigh
Swann
Twaci
Skarlett...Awon writers,we need your input oh.

Thanks.
Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by bibijay123(f): 4:22pm On Jan 06, 2017
Kay I'm sorry abt all that happened to you. I dont knw if it was a coincidence that everything happened while you were writing a story bt from your write up it seems you always experience misfortune whenever you are writing a story. Personally i've only suffered from migraine,insomnia and writers block. Sometimes we get too caught up in a story that we tend to neglect other important things or people in our life but i believe what will be will be whether we are working on a story or not. Some writers,me for example start working on stories when things are not going well for them at a particular time just to get the problems out of their minds. What they forget is this: the problem won't go away if you do nothing abt it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2017
bibijay123:
Kay I'm sorry abt all that happened to you. I dont knw if it was a coincidence that everything happened while you were writing a story bt from your write up it seems you always experience misfortune whenever you are writing a story. Personally i've only suffered from migraine,insomnia and writers block. Sometimes we get too caught up in a story that we tend to neglect other important things or people in our life but i believe what will be will be whether we are working on a story or not. Some writers,me for example start working on stories when things are not going well for them at a particular time just to get the problems out of their minds. What they forget is this: the problem won't go away if you do nothing abt it.

Hmm! Thanks for this response.
Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2017
Guys, you can read thi article to get a better picture of what I am talking about- http://mentalfloss.com/article/64852/scientists-tortured-artist-real-thing
Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by Wroxxane: 7:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
I think it's majorly because it takes pain to know joy.It's like staring into the black and seeing different shapes and forms, when you're down so low, they say you can never fall. Most of the songs and hymns we love were birthed that way. My two cents tho.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Guys Think Of The Theory Of The Tortured Artist? by kayo80(m): 7:58pm On Jan 06, 2017
Wroxxane:
I think it's majorly because it takes pain to know joy.It's like staring into the black and seeing different shapes and forms, when you're down so low, they say you can never fall. Most of the songs and hymns we love were birthed that way. My two cents tho.

Okay.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies, Pull Up A Chair…(do We Really Need To Be Feminists?) / The Circle Of Relationships / A Side Chic Prayer – A Fiction Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.