Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,657 members, 7,955,372 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:59 AM

Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? (6397 Views)

Nigerian Webmasters, Lets Go On Strike / For All Nigerian Webmasters From Fouani Nigeria Ltd (lg) / Nigerian Webmasters' Association? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 7:31pm On Nov 22, 2009
I was going thru some naija sites and i realized that a lot of our websites are ugly and lack originality. 75% of the sites i visited were templated (ugly templates).

You as a webmaster, are u doing great or are you just spreading the ugly trend?

Have u ever taken time to do a website from scratch?
Have u taken time to learn your basic html and css?
Have you tried to learn how spry (or some other widgets) work?
have you ever tried creating your own content management system?
Have u ever embedded your original efficient chat application or other applications to blend with your site?

If we are doctors or lawyers, I wont have a problem; but for God's sake, we call ourselves "WEB MASTERS."
We have to live it up.

Cheers.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 7:35pm On Nov 22, 2009
Shhhh. The more you convert your competition, the less of the pie is left for you.  Let the "webmasters" do what they think they know.  In the end, you will be vindicated, if indeed you practice what you preach  cool
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2009
yawa u are right sha, but it is still our industry and it needs to grow
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 7:39pm On Nov 22, 2009
Then organize a class showing them the right way and while you are at it, make some money from it too wink
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Parohfrey(f): 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2009
@poster

Lets do a comparison- what you have done side by side these so called ugly websites. Rome wasnt built in a day.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ebonyking: 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2009
@ Paroh-frey

You asked for it.

see my latest job= http://www.celeugonabo.com

but just like U said Rome wasn't built in a day

I have gotten to this stage and won't hesitate assisting someone
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Parohfrey(f): 1:30am On Nov 23, 2009
I assume thats your best? You are not qualified to speak against any body making websites.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 8:19am On Nov 23, 2009
Please guys the aim of this discussion is not to harrass each other verbally. It is for us to redefine our target and work harder.

For the guy that sent the website; ill assume u are just creating some sort of awareness, else ,
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by mrperfect(m): 10:25am On Nov 23, 2009
Good point but who will pay you or who ask you that.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 11:23am On Nov 23, 2009
ah ha! I knew that at some point the "can I see your works?" question would come out. I could see it coming cool

Granted it seems the original poster isn't practicing what he is preaching, as someone has pointed out, I see this as a thread for self-improvement and not for site reviews. If that is needed, let another thread be created.

And oh, by the way, don't bother asking me to "see your works" because I don't share those publicly. I am not competing with anyone here for website of the year. I am here to teach and be taught, with respect to web development in general. For that, you will have to email me privately, if you so wish wink
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2009
Yawa im not the person that sent the site for review and im not competing wit anybody.

Come to think of it, why are u guys getting personal?

Is anybody hurt?
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2009
ebonyking:

@ Paroh-frey

You asked for it.

see my latest job= http://www.celeugonabo.com

but just like U said Rome wasn't built in a day

I have gotten to this stage and won't hesitate assisting someone
Brotha brotha dont start a war mehn!

And hey if you must start one, please and please draw the first blood with a mad ass killer Weapon(Website) of Mass Destruction, not some kinda bombs that would make pipz think we just doing some routine lab tests or drills. tongue

@Topic,
no plenty comments really, its just talk talk talk and mo' talk (or more like. . . brag brag brag and mo' brag), nothing ever comes outta these threads, sadly.

When y'all are ready y'all will either resurrect WOA and make that place a standard or do something better and use as a standard. Until then, boiler plates all the way for 'em rookies! And we really know how to mess those things up with out distasteful taste of colors.

ogzille:

Yeap all my sites are done from scratch or based on CMS and i write my own modules smiley

ogzille:

Have u ever embedded your original efficient chat application or other applications to blend with your site?
Yeap, (x)html and css all the way.
As per doing my own CMS, dunno how you see that but i make sure my sites are maintainable by me. All nav links are in a single file, so if i want to add more nave buttons or remove some i dont have to go about the 1 million pages doing that, i just change them in the single php file. My footer, also is in a php file so on all pages i just echo the footer, the next year i dont have to start changing 2009 to 2010 on a million pages, i just change the footer.php smiley

ogzille:

erm. . . no undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by quadrillio(m): 1:39pm On Nov 23, 2009
ogzille:

I was going thru some naija sites and i realized that a lot of our websites are ugly and lack originality. 75% of the sites i visited were templated (ugly templates).

from experience,
I can bet u that 70% of the 75%, was done for as low as 20k(hosting inclusive).
Cheap labour
Clients low taste.

ogzille:

You as a webmaster, are u doing great or are you just spreading the ugly trend?

Yes to all.

I bet you that anyone dat can say yes to at least three of d above will not fall within those that design does HANDBILL, they called WEBSITE.

- SAFE
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 1:46pm On Nov 23, 2009
quadrillio:

I bet you that anyone dat can say yes to at least three of d above will not fall within those that design does HANDBILL, they called WEBSITE.

yay! beer beer beer beer for quad, at last i'm a webmaster!!!!! grin
damn, finally!!! tongue

Yea talking about web design pricing, na condition make crayfish dey the way e day. I've seen some very good devs here with very low prices and I know its just the environment we're in. This still boils down to having standards.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 1:54pm On Nov 23, 2009
I still believe that there are some good naija guys out there.

Let us keep the flag flying.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 2:08pm On Nov 23, 2009
ogzille:

Let us keep the flag flying.
Tired of keeping the flag flying, lets do something new. Let's create a webmaster's "home" online. An online crib where everything webdev goes down, purely Nigerian.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2009
ogzille:

If you read the thread carefully, and apparently you didn't, you will see that my post wasn't referring to you.

I think you should modify your original post to include, "Nigerians generally speaking, in addition to answering a question with a question also like to make blanket statements" wink
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2009
What's "blanket statements"? tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 3:44pm On Nov 23, 2009
he he, generalized (please don't ask me to define "generalized" tongue) statements that usually emanate from talking before thinking and usually have no facts to back them up.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by mamagee3(f): 1:01am On Nov 24, 2009
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 6:24am On Nov 24, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

he he, generalized (please don't ask me to define "generalized" tongue) statements that usually emanate from talking before thinking and usually have no facts to back them up.
Okies, but what's erm. . . nevermind lipsrsealed
Thanks smiley lipsrsealed

mama-gee:

Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Afam(m): 8:07am On Nov 24, 2009
ogzille:

Yes to all the questions but the last one.

Why would someone that created an original efficient chat application have any problems with making it blend with the website or is the poster referring to an open source chat application that is customizable?
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by fredrick13(m): 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
nigeria is bless with good webmaster, but most of the self accliam webmaster doen not really take time to learn the basic of webdesigning
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
fredrick13:

but most of the self acclaimed webmasters do not really take time to learn the basics of webdesign
gbam!
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by beknown(m): 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2009
Webmasters in Nigeria is not about creativity. Its just about money and job.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:42pm On Nov 24, 2009
I won't take a sledge-hammer to webmasters in Nigeria. some are good at some things and bad at other aspects. but then,it is a jungle and you must be a jack of all trades and master of none really.

We have webmasters - they know basic HTML code and can do a "decent" webpage to go with a website that needs a full-time webmaster, they often claim to be able to do everything under the sun as it pertains to the web (web design, development, RIA, databases, SEO etc)

We have web-designers (who love to be known as web-masters) they are usually graphic artists who have become popular with the WAOW! factor that has crippled the mentality of clients these days. they try their hands at web-enabled databases, patch a few scripts together and they claim to be masters of the industry. you can never be right with these guys, they have google and they have sold a couple of sites

We have Web developers - they may not be professionals with Adobe or Corel draw, but they know that a website is beyond graphics and effizy. they are responsible for websites that work and give you what you came for, sadly they are the ones who get less and less of the juicy webjobs out there because in the Nigerian view. it is not what you do that counts, but how you look doing it.

We have Webprenuers - they are sharp kids with an eye for what works and they can engage, manage and grow a web idea into something not unlike Nairaland @seun is a popular webpreneur and the jobsnigeria guys etc

We have Web Architects - who are really very good web developers and web designers who have now become project managers and planners. they know how to select the right webmasters, designers, developers into a TEAM that can give you the best of any web project.

So really the post is too general. rarely but not impossible, do you see an individual who has combined the skills of a webmaster, designer, developer and architect. and they abound wink
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by popin5(m): 3:44pm On Nov 24, 2009
thanks for making effort to concretize our web development skills in naija.
i making a plea, pls if you have a book on xml, i will appreciate it if you can forward it to my box (wojidem@yahoo.com). thanks for anticipated kindness nairalanders for which u are always know for.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2009
popin5:

thanks for making effort to concretize our web development skills in naija.
i making a plea, pls if you have a book on xml, i will appreciate it if you can forward it to my box (wojidem@yahoo.com). thanks for anticipated kindness nairalanders for which u are always know for.

I will upload one to my server now. Will mail you the download link shortly.

Edit: Mail sent
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by JideOguns(m): 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2009
Nice one poster.

But am sure you are still in the process of learning authoring of XHTML and CSS.

Ya all should please check: http://www.jideogunleye.com and let me have your comments on it.

Its hand written from scratch. and i also had to take the picture of the site by myself.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 4:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
larger:
You need to write a book, seriously cool

Also, do we have the job title of web architect, as you have so defined, in Nigeria? If so, it would be nice to meet such people.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by hayo(m): 4:16pm On Nov 24, 2009
@ Poster.
I will like to see your work to see if u have the right to post this lol
Water get im own level. As those who understand the market dynamics have said; Naija people can be funny. The tasty soup dont come cheap. And thanks to the guy who broke it down - Web designers, developers, architects, project managers. U know your stuff man.
I will just advise everyone to grow daily. Learning new things never kill. But I must say there are many talented developers, designers etc in Nigeria. Do u know that the GT bank website with all the nice functionalities was done by a Nigerian? In fact most big company websites are done by Nigerian companies but the case is that it is done by a team and not one individual.
So, if I see an individual working on a 100K website alone by adapting some nice graphics and wordpress, I wont blame him. Same guy could have teamed with some other talented individual to do a better website on a big budget.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Earn Over $50 Daily On Adsense And Affiliate Marketing (see Proves) / Hi Devs , See What I Won ( New Survey) / Help!!! How To Add My Site To A Facebook Like Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.