Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both (414 Views)

Please I Need Trinitarians To Explain Hebrews 1:1-3 For Me / How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? / Man Orders Boss To Sign Document In The Name Of Jesus Or He Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
Hebrews 1:6: Worship God or Jesus OR both PART - 1

I read the work of one scholar and was thereafter referred to his blog by my faculty, and I’ve reinforced my belief that before we adjudge that our traditional inherited Christian beliefs as sacrosanct, we must be patient to consider other seemingly offensive conclusions.
At Hebrews 1:6, the angels are commanded (by God) to “worship/reverence” Jesus. I think that this text is subject to different ideologies. Bible translators have also decided to follow the schools-of-thoughts that support their positions: Dozens of bible translators being sympathetic to the Trinitarian Godhead (as expounded by the Catholic Church in the Athanasian Creed) while the others are being sympathetic to the non-Trinitarian God.
Hebrews 1:6 forms one link in a chain of biblical texts cited in Hebrews 1:5-13, which ultimately points the superiority and the high status of Jesus, in relation to other deities.
In short Hebrews 1:6 appears to support the age-long belief that God commands the angel to reverence “the firstborn”. Any church not accepting that Jesus Christ himself is the Almighty God, is often regarded as non-Christians by Trinitarians and Trinitarian-oriented church movements worldwide

“Part of the ambiguity of the verse is in the word used: “proskynein,” which, in wider ancient Greek usage, can cover a variety of reverential actions ranging from the worship given to deities to the obeisance shown to rulers, to the reverence given to various social superiors (e.g., slaves to their masters). On the other hand, if the author intended here simply to indicate that angels were required to acknowledge the superiority of “the Firstborn,” it might be a bit redundant, as that point is made rather clearly prior to 1:6. But, as reflected in current scholarly discussion of the matter, there is no complete consensus on what to make of the reverential action portrayed in Heb 1:6, whether it represents the robust “worship” given to divine beings or . . . something less”
Mark, Manuscripts, and Monotheism: Essays in Honor of Larry W. Hurtado, 2014) page 170

Runs to watch Football....BRB
Re: Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 07, 2017
Hebrews 1:6: Worship God or Jesus OR both PART - 2

There is an absence of other direct/explicit references to worship given to Jesus in Hebrews, a kind of conspiratorial silence from the author, Apostle Paul. And looking at Heb 13:21, it might just be a case of just another text where Jesus is recipient of a kind of worship, judging by the fact that the glory is directed to Jesus (and not to God).
So the lack of explicit reference in Hebrews to Jesus as recipient of “worship” (of the kind signifying divine status) may be a corollary of the Paul’s emphasis in this exhortation/treatise on Jesus as fully human, and so the ideal high priest and also ideal model for believers. In trying to draw conclusions about what the author of Hebrews may have thought about Jesus as co-recipient of “worship” by believers, we need to examine assumptions.
In particular, can we assume that what an author writes in a given text (with clear pastoral/hortatory purposes) is indicative of the full extent of that author’s beliefs and approved devotional practices? Granted, Hebrews doesn’t explicitly refer to the worship of Jesus in early Christian circles. But there is also nothing in the text to suggest that the author would disapprove of such worship either.
No one should dogmatically hold on to Heb 1:6. There is the danger of argument from silence either way found at Heb 1: 6.
Re: Hebrews 1:6: Worship God Or Jesus OR Both by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 07, 2017
Hebrews 1:6: Worship God or Jesus OR both PART - 3

So I’m agreeing with the school-of-thought that, it’s probably best not to make the question of whether Jesus was co-recipient of worship in early Christian circles rest too heavily on Hebrews.
On the one hand, Jesus is ascribed a “high” status such that it is difficult to imagine what more could be said to exalt him further. On the other hand, for whatever reason, the author does not explicitly say whether he does or doesn’t know of and approve of the sort of devotional practices that are already presupposed in Paul’s letters.

CONCLUSION
In conclusion as postulated by the blog, it’s probably wise simply to take the text as written, with its fascinating combination of “high Christology” and strong emphasis also on Jesus as the ultimate agent of redemption.

(1) (Reply)

Swiss Christian Missionary Beatrice Stockly Kidnapped By Muslim / The Doctrines Of Demons: Faith Without Work / The True Facts About Islam And Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.