Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? (547 Views)

"Open Your Legs For Jesus, So He Can Release Inside You!!!"---religious Leader / Why Are Or Aren't You Religious? / Are You Religious? ( A Simple Test ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Playa0ne: 2:24pm On Jan 08, 2017
Greetings people, having grown up in a very religious family in Nigeria It came to my notice that people have different reasons for been religious (praying, going to church and church functions, paying tithes, e.t.c). While there may be more categories, I could classify a majority of the faithfuls I came across in my long sojourn in religion into those looking for economic upliftment or breakthrough (the poor, people looking for Visa, business connections e.t.c, I found that a lot of religious people are actually in this category), persons with health problems without medical cure insight (including childless persons, cancer, epilepsy, sickle-cell, e.t.c ) and the elites, persons who dont really care about the whole religion thing but want to take advantage of the sentiments of the masses (who mostly are religious) to achieve their personal objectives (Politics, preventing a revolt, or the poor stealing from them, e.t.c)

Now in the search of career advancement and skill development I have been to a number of countries around the world. In developed countries I noticed that they were often not religious, out of curiosity i asked one of the locals who was my friend why she doesnt go to church or is not religious. Her reply was really insightful, she answered why should I, what do I get from the church or religion that I don already have? she continued, If I am sick, I dont need to pray about it, I have got insurance, all I have to do is make an appointment and go see the doctor..our doctors are highly skilled and we have the best technology in the world...If I need money or financial support I apply for a loan or I apply for the social security cover of the government (though I must be unemployed to access the later) My passport can take me to almost every country in the world with Visa on entry, and in case you havent noticed she continued, one hour work here is 8.80euros at least. So for every one hour I spend in church praying over things that I can get anyway, I could make at least 8.80. I was quiet and this got me thinking, could the hardship and non existence key institutions in the country be the reason the people are religious?
Please your sincere thoughts are welcome.

3 Likes

Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by abatisegun: 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
I'm totally convinced by numerous facts in the book revealed to human kind to b their guidance and that is our noble Quran which has no edition or revisions

1 Like

Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Playa0ne: 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
OAM4J
This topic has merits, you may want to move it to a better position where people can easily see it and contribute. Thanks
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Playa0ne: 2:33pm On Jan 08, 2017
abatisegun:
I'm totally convinced by numerous facts in the book revealed to human kind to b their guidance and that is our noble Quran which has no edition or revisions

So you have no expectations from Allah in exchange for your servitude/faithfulness?
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Aaronsrod: 2:33pm On Jan 08, 2017
God is good. Obedience is truth. I do not want to burn in hellfire.
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Playa0ne: 2:37pm On Jan 08, 2017
Aaronsrod:
God is good. Obedience is truth. I do not want to burn in hellfire.

Well you can be Obedient without been religious, ask them in the Army or in offices. I take it that your motivation is that you dont want to go to hellfire? Is that your only motivation or do you hope for something in return from God, whom you worship faithfully?
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Aaronsrod: 2:51pm On Jan 08, 2017
Playa0ne:

Well you can be Obedient without been religious, ask them in the Army or in offices. I take it that your motivation is that you dont want to go to hellfire? Is that your only motivation or do you hope for something in return from God, whom you worship faithfully?

Blessings will be my potion.
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Playa0ne: 2:52pm On Jan 08, 2017
Aaronsrod:

Blessings will be my potion.

Good reason, but what kind of blessings specifically. Is it like the kind of blessings people living in functional societies enjoy?
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by abatisegun: 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2017
Playa0ne:

So you have no expectations from Allah in exchange for your servitude/faithfulness?
of course I have I'm hoping to be admitted into his paradise promised by him to only pious
Re: For What Reason Specifically Are You Religious? by Aaronsrod: 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2017
Playa0ne:

Good reason, but what kind of blessings specifically. Is it like the kind of blessings people living in functional societies enjoy?

Like all men I seek fortune and favour. God holds the keys to this things. You should know this. Are you a Christian? Are you a Nigerian?

(1) (Reply)

If You Are An Atheist, Get In Here, You Need To See This Video... / P / Debunking Atheist Beliefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.