Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,970 members, 7,814,286 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

RC Cars, Drones And Planes - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / RC Cars, Drones And Planes (21382 Views)

How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home / Top 5 Positive And Negative Effects Of Drones You Should Know / Graveyards Around The World Where Planes, Ships, Cars Are Left To Die (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2020
brendan007:

This is beautiful! The major challenge I have building fixed wing is keeping the weight down as much as possible given that balsa wood isn’t readily available and could be quite expensive to purchase. I’ve always thought about where I could get those polystyrene sheets to build with. Where did you get those from?

Keeping weight down is a challenge but polystyrene takes care of that nicely. Apart from unavailability, Balsa planes take lots of time to build and do not survive crashes well.

Foamies are foamies. You can bash it all you want and glue it back quickly after a crash.

There's a company close to my location that deals in polystyrene. I get them nicely pre-cut.

But if you're around Lagos, a friend gets his from one market.

What's your exact location?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by brendan007: 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
RCDIY:

Keeping weight down is a challenge but polystyrene takes care of that nicely. Apart from unavailability, Balsa planes take lots of time to build and do not survive crashes well.

Foamies are foamies. You can bash it all you want and glue it back quickly after a crash.

There's a company close to my location that deals in polystyrene. I get them nicely pre-cut.

My location is Uyo, Akwa Ibom.
How possible is it to get some polystyrene foam from your location?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by Trippledots(m): 7:36pm On Jan 11, 2020
RCDIY:

I'm in lagos...
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 9:02pm On Jan 11, 2020
brendan007:

My location is Uyo, Akwa Ibom.
How possible is it to get some polystyrene foam from your location?

The thing can be quite bulky. It's cheap to buy but sending it your way would cost a fortune
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2020
Trippledots:

I'm in lagos...
You can chat me up on WhatsApp, bro
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by brendan007: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2020
RCDIY:

The thing can be quite bulky. It's cheap to buy but sending it your way would cost a fortune

Do you have the dimensions and possibly a picture of a standard sheet and how much does it cost?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 12:39pm On Jan 14, 2020
brendan007:

Do you have the dimensions and possibly a picture of a standard sheet and how much does it cost?

I buy 10cm (thickness) X 120cm (length) X 100cm (width). Cost about #600 per sheet for 30kg/cm density. It's sliced with great consistency and I get extras if my guy is feeling generous
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 10:51pm On Jan 14, 2020
RCDIY:

I buy 10cm (thickness) X 120cm (length) X 100cm (width). Cost about #600 per sheet for 30kg/cm density. It's sliced with great consistency and I get extras if my guy is feeling generous

Today, 14th January, is my birthday.
I had planned to go flying my delta wing model but haven't been able to fix it after it crashed on Sunday. So I decided to rebuild it and maybe share some of the steps in turning flat polystyrene sheets into a flyable model. Unfortunately I didn't take much dimensions since I wasn't building to a particular scale.

Here are some pictures of the build

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by brendan007: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2020
RCDIY:

I had planned to go flying my delta wing model but haven't been able to fix it after it crashed on Sunday. So I decided to rebuild it and maybe share some of the steps in turning flat polystyrene sheets into a flyable model. Unfortunately I didn't take much dimensions since I wasn't building to a particular scale.

Wishing you a very happy birthday. I pray for more of God’s grace upon your life. May you remain always happy.
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by brendan007: 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2020
RCDIY:

Guess the build is complete. Hope to see some videos soon. What’s your wing loading?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 1:25pm On Jan 15, 2020
brendan007:

Guess the build is complete. Hope to see some videos soon. What’s your wing loading?

Nah. Started late last night. I'll probably finish tonight and maiden tomorrow.
Not really sure what the wing loading is but it's most likely in the range 2kg or less (kg/m²).

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 9:40am On Jan 16, 2020
RCDIY:

Nah. Started late last night. I'll probably finish tonight and maiden tomorrow.
Not really sure what the wing loading is but it's most likely in the range 2kg or less (kg/m²).

Electronics bay and servos done

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by pakingzzzzz(m): 3:34pm On Jan 16, 2020
ogocology:

And your point is what exactly?
The parts you'd use to build 'your own flight controllers' would also be built by you, abi? Over-sabi....

Kindly keep away from this thread if you've got nothing positive to contribute.

Hello. Please can you call me. I lost your number... 08164679552
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 6:39am On Jul 15, 2020
Fun flyers! Cheap to build, a joy to fly!!

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by Trippledots(m): 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2020
A video of it in flight?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by brendan007: 12:26pm On Jul 18, 2020
RCDIY:
Fun flyers! Cheap to build, a joy to fly!!

This is nice.

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
Trippledots:
A video of it in flight?
I'll upload on YouTube and share link maybe tonight.
If you chat me up on WhatsApp, I can share some videos with you
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
brendan007:

This is nice.

Thank you, Chief.
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by saheedniyi22(m): 11:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.
I am an engineering student year 3, how can I get started with stuffs like this??

What do I need to learn? Online courses that would help me?.
I would be very glad if I can get an answer.

Thanks you.
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2020
saheedniyi22:
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.
I am an engineering student year 3, how can I get started with stuffs like this??

What do I need to learn? Online courses that would help me?.
I would be very glad if I can get an answer.

Thanks you.
Most of the info you need are available on YouTube. You gotta have some enthusiasm and imagination too. It's really no big deal.
And once you get stuff to fly for the first time, you'll love it.
It does require a fair amount of financial investment. Good RC parts are not cheap.
If you have a direct enquiry, you can ask. I'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers!
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by 900winer(m): 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2020
shocked i love this

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by Trippledots(m): 9:22am On Jul 20, 2020
RCDIY:

I'll upload on YouTube and share link maybe tonight.
If you chat me up on WhatsApp, I can share some videos with you

Ok... Hit my siggy lets connect on whatsapp. Thanks

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by MrsSandman: 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2020
If you want my advice and if you are a beginner I can highly recommend you to these guys https://top-10-drones.com/top-10-cheapest-drones-beginners-120/. When i just started i thought that i know what i am doing but every time i lost the race in the park and once i found just a perfect Rc drift car. Now I am on a high level and my team is planning to win the next hood championship. I never thought that I would like this kind of sport but now every weekend I take my radio controller and plan to destroy everybody on the track. My wife says that I am like a little boy but she doesn't understand how important it is for me.
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 7:12am On Jul 25, 2020

1 Like

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by lilycarrbff: 7:23pm On Jul 26, 2020
MrsSandman:
If you want my advice and if you are a beginner I can highly recommend you to these guys https://top-10-drones.com/top-10-cheapest-drones-beginners-120/. When i just started i thought that i know what i am doing but every time i lost the race in the park and once i found just a perfect Rc drift car. Now I am on a high level and my team is planning to win the next hood championship. I never thought that I would like this kind of sport but now every weekend I take my radio controller and plan to destroy everybody on the track. My wife says that I am like a little boy but she doesn't understand how important it is for me.     

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 7:58am On Jul 28, 2020
lilycarrbff:

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM
I almost certain you won't get any information from that bot, whose only mission is to post rubbish everywhere to direct traffic to a link.

Don't get scammed please.
If you have, questions, you can ask here.
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 10:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
Lipos available..

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2020
Follow this link to view our RC catalogue on WhatsApp: https:///c/2349055798965
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by RCDIY(m): 10:52pm On Mar 05, 2021
Lipos available.

3S 1500mah
3S 2200mah
3S 3000mah
3S 5000mah

4S 2200mah
4S 4000mah
4S 6000mah

Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by doffman: 2:24pm On May 10, 2021
RCDIY:
Lipos available..

How much ?

And please where can I see polyform foam to buy for building plane?
Re: RC Cars, Drones And Planes by doffman: 2:34pm On May 10, 2021
RCDIY:
Lipos available.

3S 1500mah
3S 2200mah
3S 3000mah
3S 5000mah

4S 2200mah
4S 4000mah
4S 6000mah

How much 5000mah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Scientist Exterminate 5 Million Rats in Antarctic Island / 40-year-old Woman Breastfeeds Tiger Cubs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.