Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? (44507 Views)

7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / Neglect Of Male Child Rape/molestation By a Female Adult / Dear Nairaland Family. . . . .how Do You Define A 'KRAY-KRAY'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Mrblazer(m): 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2009
In every tribe in africa male children are very important in the family. And in Nigeria, a family without a male child is always unhappy. What are the advantages a male child has over a female child since both of them can take care of the family. Why are Africans desperate to have a male child?

1 Like

Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by tanimz(f): 6:22pm On Nov 23, 2009
I think that has changed a lot.

Male children and female children are considered equal (or almost)
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Mrblazer(m): 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2009
U think?
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2009
Pikin na pikin, regardless of the gender
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by tanimz(f): 6:35pm On Nov 23, 2009
It mostly depends on the family, a traditional african family would think a male child is better than a female (I dont mean this in a bad way)
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Mrblazer(m): 6:43pm On Nov 23, 2009
Am talking about the Africans.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by coolier(f): 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2009
Mr blazer:

And in Nigeria, a family without a male child is always unhappy.

False.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Mrblazer(m): 6:52pm On Nov 23, 2009
@coolier.Unless the girls are all grown and got married. In the earlier stage of child bearing, the man is always expecting a boy. Right?
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by mamagee3(f): 7:27pm On Nov 23, 2009
Where are all the males? tongue
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Mrblazer(m): 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2009
I speak for themsmiley
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by chrisj2(m): 7:44pm On Nov 23, 2009
tongue hiding trying to avoid being labelled a chauvinist, sexist, mysogynist, cavemen African lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed . It is a difficult topic to address but for a man (and most women) the heir to the so-called family throne still has some primitive predominance. For some reason a family without a girl will be considered OK compared to an all female family.

I personally think I will be able to push a male child more than a female one. And what of the passing on the family name. I cannot force my daughters to have compound names or not to take their husbands name.

I consider myself an all-male person not a new-man even though I am very independent and can do a lot of domestic, been in the labour room and understand women issues an do not believe men are superior mentally; I feel most comfortable in male company, doing male things (physical andeven talking dirty) and getting on with things without too much worries about aesthetics, emotions, gossip, what others think of me and not too bothered with nurturing everyone around me.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Fhemmmy: 7:46pm On Nov 23, 2009
A male child and a female child . . big deal, the time has come for us to be contented with whatever we have.
We could raise the daughter to be a mighty lady and do great things.
She will bring sons home.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by chrisj2(m): 8:08pm On Nov 23, 2009
Of course, we have to be happy with whatever one is blessed with. This topic is just for discussion and if we expand it to a family of lots f girls without a male child then it is worth talking about. Regardless, it does not mean one gender is loved less or that one should resort to our bush man that decided to beat his wife for having another female.

Having said the above, he could have gone and found himself another woman to try having a boy. If it is good enough for the Monarchs, then why not a African man in his Castle.

Is it Important. Not really! But in Africa, patriachy still prevales in many areas, even where you have very successful women in the family structure. Unfortunately, most women still shy away from taking leadership roles but are heavily involved and considered in decision making.

Like Fhemmy said, the women are even more responsible for the traditional way things are done. The women can be more vigilant and militant when it comes to enforcing traditions and keeping other women down. The women sometimes want an heir more than the man - a source of pride,
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Nov 23, 2009
Also, people need to be educated, cos it is not the fault of the woman.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by xynerise: 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2009
Male child, female child. It all depend on what the man ''deposit'' inside the woman.
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Fhemmmy: 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2009
^^^ True Dat
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 23, 2009
@poster
in my world, it doesnt matter whether its a boy or girl. . . . . what matter is that its a HEALTHY child!
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Fhemmmy: 10:01pm On Nov 23, 2009
Well said^^^
Re: Male Child In The Family. How Important Is This? by Outstrip(f): 5:04am On Nov 24, 2009
My uncle is the only son of his father. He and his wife have 2 kids and they are girls. His wife had a difficult third pregnancy years ago and lost it. He did not want to try again after that. He is okay with his two girls

(1) (Reply)

My Wife-To-Be Provides Everything In The House, No Juju Involved / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them…. / Confusion In My Very Young Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.