Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating (671 Views)

Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / 3 Skills You Must Have Before Graduating From School / 10 Important Things You Must Learn How To Do Before Graduating From University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating by lacasera14(m): 12:33pm On Jan 09, 2017
This list is not a must do but it's necessary

1. PUBLIC SPEAKING: Being able to express yourself in public is one quality every school certificate holder in the 21st century must possess not just graduates but for the sake of the context here I shall limit it to them. It doesn't matter if you studied engineering or English, learn how to articulate properly in public, you can start by giving testimonies in your fellowship or making departmental announcements to your coursemates, this will help sharpen your vocabulary and ease off some stage frights. Someday you'll be called upon to come deliver a speech or make a toast and if you mess it up don't be surprised to welcome questions like "so you are a graduate and you can't even express yourself effectively in public? Your questioner doesn't give a hoot if you read physics or linguistics he or she just expects you to know. Attending public speaking seminars would also help a great deal too.

2. KNOW HOW TO WRITE: Yea I said that, you might want to ask but I write exams? Notes? Test? Well this is absolutely different. Know how to write memos,notices,application letters,resumes,cover letters,short notes on general topics etc no one will sit you down like a kid and teach you all this and the society will laugh you to scorn for your ineptitude in writing. Stories like "A graduate not being able to fill out a simple form, a graduate who can't spell his full name properly, a graduate who can't write a simple quit notice or application letter" are not uncommon in our dear Nigeria today and guess what? You'll be a source of comic relief to some Nigerians who are plagued by recession or other endemic woes . The earlier you glean up some writing skills the better for you.

3. ACQUIRE COMMON SENSE: So you couldn't afford common sense in your parents house probably due to over pampering, hey teen! You are now out of their custody, no longer tied to mums apron strings, you are now a man/woman out there in a world of yours void of the pampering and prying eyes of mum/dad. You'll be expose to some harsh realities of life, you'll have a lot to do on your own, you'll have to learn some management skills (5k per month scenario) for the poor and for the rich you'll also know that not everything money can buy. In this phase of your life, if you still fail to imbibe some common sense, be tactful in handling tough situations and be prudent in judgement? Then you'll be that fool at 40 who might turn out to be the eternal fool. I like this part "So you mean as a graduate I cannot send you to the market to buy this simple things without you been cheated, you are now a graduate, don't expect me to be handling all this minor issues at home when I have someone like you" trust our Nigerian parents their money can't go for nothing.

4. MASTER SOME SKILLS: This issue has received lots of trashing in various seminars, talk shows and entrepreneurship summits so I'll just chew on it a little. Entrepreneurship study is one course being thought across various universities in Nigeria, no matter how frivolous it may seem grab the little skill you can out of it and hone, it might come in handy tomorrow. If you aren't satisfied with it use your vacation and spare time to learn some more. Get practical knowledge of your course else where if you can, and if the practicals offered in school are nothing to go by. You read electrical engineering, your dad has told the technician not to worry that his son who's a graduate of electrical engineering is returning soon and will fix the faulty fuse box or connections in the house, he has no idea if you were taught or not, he just knows you are an electrical engineer and you are suppose to know how to fix such things. Same with you that read computer science, that roadside computer geek won't eat his money anymore for little laptop issues, you are on board now. Gather the knowledge and skills while you have the time.

5. BE ON THE KNOW: Lots of graduates are totally ignorant of happenings in their immediate and external environment. They don't read newspapers both offline and online, they don't watch news channels on TV, they don't read articles and columns they are just plain dumb about the world. Most graduates don't even know who Donald trump is, oh did I go too far? I bet you some don't know who saraki is. Names like chimamanda, seun, Allepo in Syria, ISIS, Larry page, zuckerberg, Akufo-addo, occulus rift, drones might not ring a bell in their ears which is quite disappionting. You must not know everything about something but know a little about lots of things even if it's a pinch of it. Know about God, politics, fashion, cars, careers, sports, entertainment, inventions, tourism, health, foreign affairs, games name them, don't just polarize your knowledge to your discipline and become a complete ignoramus in other areas. The world is advancing, information has always been an invaluable asset to holders and will continue to be, who knows, you and your employer might have mutual likes and dislikes which will cause you both to instantly connect on a conjugal note and probably land you that dream job, ask Ben Carson about his internship placement. Last time I checked no knowledge has been a waste. Above all your knowledge of God should be most paramount

feel free to add yours

source: https://educareersblog./2017/01/08/5-things-you-should-be-equipped-with-before-graduating/
Re: 5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating by Harbylon(f): 12:40pm On Jan 09, 2017
Dear Nairalander,
Are you sitting for the forthcoming UTME?

If yes, we enjoy you to join the group created for those people sitting for the year 2017 forthcoming JAMB.

OBJECTIVES OF THE GROUP CHAT

➡ KNOWLEDGE SHARING

➡ PROVISION OF ALL SUBJECTS SYLLABUS

➡ PROVISION OF SOME PAST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

➡ PROVISION OF SOME POSSIBLE QUESTIONS IN JAMB CBT WITH THEIR ANSWERS.

➡ TUTORIAL ON HOW TO OPERATE COMPUTER DURING CBT EXAM

➡ HOW TO TACKLE JAMB QUESTIONS (ALL SUBJECTS)

➡ AREA OF CONCENTRATION FOR ALL SUBJECTS

➡ DAILY TOPIC (SUMMARY)

➡ QUIZ

➡ CLARIFICATIONS OF SOME QUESTIONS ANSWERS

➡ AND MANY MORE UPDATES.

To join the Group Chat, follow the below steps;

Send *Add Me 2017 JAMB * to 0 8 1 1 4 2 3 8 6 5 8 via Whatsapp only
You will be added to the Group

Now you are ready for the chat with your colleagues.

JOIN NOW, INVITE YOUR FRIENDS, AND SPREAD THIS INFORMATION TO MAKE THE GROUP FUN AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING BASE.

WE ARE EXPECTING YOU!

*Don’t forget to share with your friends via the bellow buttons*
Re: 5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating by hordhunharyor(m): 12:43pm On Jan 09, 2017
Issokay...
Re: 5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating by Spiff20(m): 11:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
Informative
Re: 5 Things Every Student Should Be Equipped With Before Graduating by lacasera14(m): 1:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
Mods pls help send this to front page let's continue to sensitize our youths.

(1) (Reply)

Closed / Adults Will Relish These Memories / Nigeria Defence Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.